As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assistant Editor's Comic Book Questions Thread

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Question, pertaining to this quote:
    Joe Q wrote:
    Kiel Phegley: We have a fan’s question that ties-in to some topical stuff. Lobsterj asks, "Joe, Can you explain the business reasoning behind canceling 'Young Avengers' until Alan Heinberg decides to come back to the title?"

Joe Quesada: Well, Allan promised us long ago that he was going to return to the characters, and he's finally delivering. He's actually working on the story right now, and I think [editor] Tom Brevoort's actually talked about this several times on his blog, and I’ve mentioned it in several interviews and columns. So we're giving Allan and his characters the room to breathe so that when he comes back with this gigantic Young Avengers story – which by the way will be very, very significant and also reintroduces a long missed character back into prominence in the Marvel Universe
    - but we're giving Allan room to breath because we promised him we'd give him this room. And it's as simple as that. Once Allan is done with the particular story he's working on, one of two things will happen: either he will start writing "Young Avengers" on a regular basis or he'll give his blessing for us to move on with "Young Avengers.” It's a matter of his time because Allan is very, very busy with his Hollywood stuff.

We just felt internally that we owed Allan this latitude as the guy who, along with Jimmy Cheung, brought these characters to life.

Is that the real reason, or does anyone know if there's more behind the scenes? It seems odd to me that Marvel would be so lenient, when I'm sure if I tried I could think of plenty of other cases where they weren't.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    I don't think there's a whole lot of situations that really compare to this. I can't imagine why else they wouldn't have relaunched the series by now so

DJ Eebs on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would say All-Star Batman & Robin is similar. Frank Miller is busy directing shitty Spirit movies and cannot be bothered right now to write comics. So ASB&R is on hold.

Lucascraft on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    It's not really similar at all. He didn't create Batman & Robin, they aren't losing money by not having someone else write those characters, they aren't in continuity at all...

DJ Eebs on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Question: That Global Reaction Agency that is in Mighty Avengers, was that around before Slott brought it up to have the Avengers join that group (and skirt Osborn's control)? Because I never heard of them before that issue.

Yes.

EDIT: Kind of. From here:
    It won't be just devices and concepts from Slott's early work that pop up in “Mighty Avengers.” Some characters the writer created will appear as well. “For 'Amazing Fantasy' #15 Vol. 2, Greg Pak created Amadeus Cho and I created a two-character team called Black Jack. You can expect them to show up and have the same sort of presence that Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. used to have in the Avengers titles,” Slott revealed. “Why Black Jack? Because this is all part of Greg Pak's and my secret desire to make 'Amazing Fantasy' #15 Vol. 2 go up in value. Not as valuable as the original 'Amazing Fantasy' #15 -- but pretty close.”

Crimsondude on
  • Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DC question!

I was always under the impression that the Justice League was partially funded (if not mostly funded) by Bruce Wayne, with maybe some extra dosh from Blue Beetle patents and Oracle hacking criminal's bank accounts. Is this true, or even discussed at all?

Also, what about the Justice Society of America? They don't seem to have any gazillionaires on the lists... but there is Mr. Terrific.

And just to double check; those two organizations aren't beholden to a government, right?

Chomp-Chomp on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sure I've seen it references that Wayne bankrolled the JLA in some comic or the other and on at least one version of the cartoon.

Crimsondude on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In JLA: Year One, the team is financed by Oliver Queen. Maxwell Lord financed them when they were in Europe as well, I believe, and I'm pretty sure Wayne Industries donated the Satellite Headquarters.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In JLA: Year One, the team is financed by Oliver Queen. Maxwell Lord financed them when they were in Europe as well, I believe, and I'm pretty sure Wayne Industries donated the Satellite Headquarters.

Yeah, it's mentioned that Bruce Wayne is funding the JLA in the first trade from Grant Morrison's awesome run on the book.

Hensler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've got a question about comic-cons:

On the whole, are the con goers among the cheapest in regards to spending money outside the actual convention? As in, outside of the hotel and vendors inside the convention (and apparently getting drunk in the hotel bar), do the attendees seem to go out and spread a ripple through the local economies?

What brought this to the front of my mind was an article a year or so back about keeping the SDCC in San Diego, and I believe one of the counter points was while a big event, con-goers don't spend the money compared to a medical convention at the same center, where people wine and dine and shop in surrounding shops more, despite having less people attend the convention.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    I'd sooner attribute the difference to the fact that medical professionals make a lot more and are therefore free to spend more. Also, businesses will often use conventions as networking opportunities, which in turn provides another opportunity for exorbitant spending.

It'd be more fair to compare a comic convention to, say, a sci-fi convention or any other convention that focuses on a particular interest rather than a particular vocational field.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd sooner attribute the difference to the fact that medical professionals make a lot more and are therefore free to spend more. Also, businesses will often use conventions as networking opportunities, which in turn provides another opportunity for exorbitant spending.

Pretty much this. Professional conventions mean per diems and a lot of schmoozing. Fan conventions are very internally focused, so beyond food and lodging, most of the money making opportunities are to be had inside the convention.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2009
    I get the income discrepancy and networking, but even then the sheer number of people who go to SDCC would make some kind of ripple that would let San Diego fight to keep it that way. I need to find the article (I think it was on the Beat last year), but the gist of it was that con goers are more trouble than they're worth. It's like the Simpsons episode where they go to Florida on Spring Break; they'll let a lot of stuff slide if they're spending money, but if the tourists aren't spending GTFO.

TexiKen on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I went to Baltimore comic-con last year and I spent several hundred of dollars on art, had lunch at one the places I have lunch at when I'm in Baltimore and paid for parking. I also went to the Small Press Expo a few weeks later and aside from the books I picked up I just paid for the metro and snacks from a gas station.

There's a convenience store in Baltimore that puts out a sign welcoming the Otakon crowds since they drive up their business so much over the weekend. At a group dinner for Otakon last year we rented out a dining room from one of the local restaurants and the bill was close to $1k, so food places tend to be the ones who benefit most from con crowds. Sadly the economy killed one of the bars we liked hanging out at, of course it was so out of the way that no one noticed it but it was real convenient like for the con.

Speaking of cons, Penthouse wrote an article about finding booty in a con. For those interested link is here. Article SFW, site not so much.

animale on
    edited June 2009
    That's kind of what I was looking to read about as far as restaurants go.

I've been to conventions and conferences but for work related stuff, and as mask wrote it was more the professional.

It must be because I see things about trying to save money at conventions or PAX or stuff, when to me, the whole point of going there is to spend money and not penny pinch. Just save up and go next year instead if you're strapped for cash. Go, have fun, spend spend spend, its a vacation.

I always said if Bagley ever went to the WW Dallas con I would go, but that will never happen now.

TexiKen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I guess noone cares-- I'm not sure I care either-- but No Hero #6 is printing now, according to Avatar. I emailed them a little while ago. They have really prompt customer service.

Something is "off" about No Hero and I'm indifferent to it.

DouglasDanger on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know my wife and I plan on going out to eat a few times while we are there.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited June 2009
    Question: Is The Man with No Face from Brubaker's Captain America the same character that worked for Fury under the name Shiver Man in Frank Tieri's Wolverine run? Some putz at the comic shop today insisted it was. It's been a while since I read those issues of Wolverine, but I don't remember seeing anything in Cap that indicated they were the same person, but I could have missed something.

Hensler on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is a huge difference between a hobby convention and a professional convention, and the biggest difference is that work usually foots the bill for professional conventions meaning way more spending outside of the event.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How old is Magneto supposed to be? Has there ever been an explanation on why he's old enough to be a holocaust survivor, yet isn't portrayed as being in his 80s, or is it one of those things that's just explained away with 'sliding timescale lol'?

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i always thought it fell under generic sliding timescale. it probably has a lot to do with the fact that x number of marvel characters were created in the 60s, but over the last 40 years have needed to be in topical storylines.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    How old is Magneto supposed to be? Has there ever been an explanation on why he's old enough to be a holocaust survivor, yet isn't portrayed as being in his 80s, or is it one of those things that's just explained away with 'sliding timescale lol'?
    He's received a new body at least once, I think.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2009
    Age is a minor detail in a world where people can slow or stop aging and come back from the dead.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Question: Is The Man with No Face from Brubaker's Captain America the same character that worked for Fury under the name Shiver Man in Frank Tieri's Wolverine run? Some putz at the comic shop today insisted it was. It's been a while since I read those issues of Wolverine, but I don't remember seeing anything in Cap that indicated they were the same person, but I could have missed something.

They seem like completely different characters.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

He was turned into a baby at one point, then aged into a younger man. He never went back to his original age, which was freaking old.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

He was turned into a baby at one point, then aged into a younger man. He never went back to his original age, which was freaking old.

Yeah, the good thing about something like that, I guess, is that it allows them to maintain his time-sensitive backstory without actually aging anymore. Makes me wonder how much longer it'll be before they have to address it with the Punisher, who, with having a Vietnam vet be so crucial to his character, should be getting pretty far up there in years.

BostonGangler on
    edited June 2009

Yeah, the good thing about something like that, I guess, is that it allows them to maintain his time-sensitive backstory without actually aging anymore. Makes me wonder how much longer it'll be before they have to address it with the Punisher, who, with having a Vietnam vet be so crucial to his character, should be getting pretty far up there in years.

Isn't he mostly unkillable thanks to being a favorite of Death?

wwtMask on
    edited June 2009
    Frank was also killed and revived at some point, wasn't he? I know he was some kind of demon or angel hunter for a while, complete with magical guns, and I imagine he would have had to die himself to be placed in that absurd circumstance.

As for being an avatar of death, that's explicitly stated in Punisher Max and implied in Moon Knight.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

Isn't he mostly unkillable thanks to being a favorite of Death?

Yeah, I think so. I'm not sure if Born is perfectly clear on if Death or whoever is actually watching him or if he was hallucinating. I haven't read Moon Knight, so I can't comment on that.

I think Frank's Vietnam years have been retconned into vague "combat in the jungle" stuff, at least in 616.

I think Punisher Max has Frank aging realistically, so he can't be any younger than 53-ish, assuming he fought in the later days of Vietnam. The war ended for the US in 1975, and I imagine he would have been somewhere around 19 at the time, if you take in time for bootcamp and finishing high school and everything.

DouglasDanger on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, can one of you enlightened chaps please explain to me what the reasoning behind Blade's origin is in the current Marvel continuity?

I've read some contradictory stuff regarding Blade's mother being turned or Morbius biting him and... all sorts. He'd been bitten by Morbius in a '99 edition of Spider-man, and that prior to that he didn't have vampiric abilities? Or... am I misinformed?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited June 2009
    He gained his vampire abilities from Morbius. Prior to that he was just a very well trained human with immunity to vampire bites.

wwtMask on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, much appreciated! A (usually) very comic-savvy friend of mine was claiming he'd always been that way.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    he also has the power to live long mask

don't forget he was born in the 19th century

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2009
    True, forgot that one.

Related question: does Cornell write Blade as having a British accent?

wwtMask on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really need to read Captain Britain to find that out

dangit I'm the reason it was canceled

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ahhh, thanks - that'd been bothering me for ages :)

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really need to read Captain Britain to find that out

dangit I'm the reason it was canceled

You are bad and should feel bad for doing this! :( It's such a good book. :whistle:Like a candleeee in the wiiiiiind...:whistle:

Edit: To make this not an off-topic post, he doesn't seem to. But that just might be the voice my head reads him in. Wesley Snipes and all.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can anyone tell me who Zodiac is after pulling his mask off at the end of Dark Reign: Zodiac #1?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who Zodiac is after pulling his mask off at the end of Dark Reign: Zodiac #1?

I'm thinking he's a new character for the series. I didn't recognize him from anything. But the book was ugly, so who knows who Fox was trying to draw.

Hensler on
    edited June 2009
    I thought the art was kind of fitting.

As for who it is, I think it's just some guy.

Robos A Go Go on