As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Templar's Drawins' (Feedback Wanted)

TemplarOfBaconTemplarOfBacon Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
I've lurked around a bit and decided it'd be good to post some of my cartoon drawings on here for some good feedback. I'm only 16 so I have to contend with school and the common laziness of adolescence, so I don't have as many works up, but I'll post a few good ones.

Also, I'm still a learning artist and have a lot of flaws to still contend with.

And remember, feedback=happiness.

I could probably consider this my first real wacom pen drawing (prior ones having been just random doodles or random streaks)
skullSIMPLEjpeg.jpg

Yea, I'm sure you can tell I like skulls
FRANKENskull2copy-1.jpg
Fire_Skull_by_TemplarOfBacon.jpg
SkullwHelmetwallpaperGRAFTWO.jpg

Some comics (I have to work on my execution on these jokes)
SAC4betta.jpg
SAC5.jpg

Recently been drawing knight kinda dudes
knightshospit.jpg
Knightgarden2.jpg

Robot
Robot_Mark_I_by_TemplarOfBacon.jpg

Again, please give any feedback, critiques etc.

Edit: Added new drawing

TemplarOfBacon on

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm... It's difficult to criticise these since they're so stylised. I'm sure a lot of people here will say that before developing your own style you should have a good understanding of reality first. Your images will be stronger, and your visual repertoire more diverse.

A lot of your images seem very flat, by which I mean that everything seems to be on the same plane. Take the image with the three knights for example; there's no point of reference to imply that the two on the left are in the background rather than there being a giant knight on the right. The mountains in the comic strip have a similar problem.

Also, the last knight image doesn't seem to have a defined lightsource. He's casting a shadow on his shield, yet at the same time there's a shadow on the right side of his helmet.All that said, I think your knights have a good amount of character, though I think their design could be developed a bit further.

Keep drawing! I'd like to see what you can produce.

EDIT: I think the last speech bubble in the comic is missing a line. Add 'you used comic sans' in there and it'll be right.

Flay on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    EDIT: I think the last speech bubble in the comic is missing a line. Add 'you used comic sans' in there and it'll be right.

:lol:

Grenn on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    templar of bacon?

did i just fall into some sort of pseudo-AC?

beavotron on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He placed everything in annoying spoilers like bacon

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    templar of bacon?

did i just fall into some sort of pseudo-AC?

if gopherbot starts a thread we will know the end has begun

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Eh, what exactly am I being accused of?

If it's for being really cool I gladly accept. (I'm joking)

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009

If it's for being really cool I gladly accept.

Just choosing a username that's pretty similar to mine.

I...guess that's cool? Or maybe not.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Well this is wierd.

Well I'll just let you all know now, I've had this username and alias for several years already, and I've had no prior knowledge of an "Angel of Bacon". So I'm not trying to be a desperate copy-cat if that's what your all thinkin'.

Sorry if it seemed that way. Awkwardly coincidental.

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Way to ruin my delusions, I had thought for a second that I'd suddenly become popular enough that fanboys/cover bands had started taking after me.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Way to ruin my delusions, I had thought for a second that I'd suddenly become popular enough that fanboys/cover bands had started taking after me.

Ha, you and me both.

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your first comic made me smile and the art style is better than most. However, the Pacman comic was... meh... I think it's because those "blob things" are ghosts, not blobs.

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    nakirush wrote: »
    Your first comic made me smile and the art style is better than most. However, the Pacman comic was... meh... I think it's because those "blob things" are ghosts, not blobs.

Actually I know they're ghosts. I said blobs for comedic benefit. Gives the narrator a sort of personality if you will.

I'm not as good at making up jokes for comics as I wish though in the first place.

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Someone puts their lips up to your ass and you go blind...

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You shall be known as Bacon 2.0

Also, less stylised stuff next time, it's impossible to critique this stuff.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »

Well I do try to bring a degree of realism (shading/lighting/distance effects/photoshop brushes) that could use alot of work, but yea your right, they are too stylised, but I'd rather see if anything can be critiqued than never knowing yknow?

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Show me your realism! Figure drawings and profiles plz! (though, i totally agree with the second comic, but the first one...eh... Why not of a Whispering Eye?)

I'm going to call you Templar of Sausage.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Show me your realism! Figure drawings and profiles plz! (though, i totally agree with the second comic, but the first one...eh... Why not of a Whispering Eye?)

I'm going to call you Templar of Sausage.

What is with people and whispering eyes. Why can't they be yelling eyes. :P

I may get sumfin up of realism, but I must admit I'm pretty rough when it comes to realism. Mostly getting the anatomy right and posing. Taking a drawing class next year as a Junior however, hopefully that may broaden my abilities (though I'm feeling skeptical)

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Draw the whispering eye. Don't be afraid of the whispering eye.

Go do it... now

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »

Its not impossible to critique this at all. Cartoons can be done good and bad just as much as anything realistic can.

I think you have a great start on this cartoony style. Your color choices aren't horrific and for your age you have a great display of line quality. Perhaps in the future you could try to do some more variation in your cartoons, maybe less skulls and dudes with no arms and legs. As far as your writing goes, the two comics you posted didn't strike me very well. The first one is in poor taste and generally just not very funny. The second one is just not very funny--it's a joke I'm pretty sure I've seen before, or at least similar to it.

There's no requirement stating you need to study realism, it's preferred and usually recommended for people who insist on drawing shitty anime characters (which is a good majority of people your age who "can draw"). I'd rather see you go the rest of your life perfecting simple, enjoyable cartoons than trying to do something you don't enjoy.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NO! I said impossible! *fist shaking and crankiness*

I said it first and am therefore, according to the bylaws of the interwebs, correct.

Seriously though, stylised stuff can be good or bad, but it's difficult to see what areas someone needs to work on with such little information on the page.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Robot_Mark_I_by_TemplarOfBacon.jpg

Here is sumfin with a bit more...arms and legs. Its still stylized though, but nonetheless. Perhaps tips on how to add lighting and glares better or sumfin. I'll get sumfin with a bit more realism up soon to see what I can improve upon.

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Food for thought:

Simple cartoons don't need to be shown in fucking massive images.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    Food for thought:

Simple cartoons don't need to be shown in fucking massive images.

Calm down, was an accident. Fixed it.

TemplarOfBacon on
  • Options
    xXSanguinariasXxxXSanguinariasXx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't care for the first comic. I think the pac-man one could have done with only the second frame. It doesn't need the first to be funny. I think those knight characters have potential for some comics and wouldn't mind seeing you expand on them. Everyone loves robots.

xXSanguinariasXx on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It reminds me waaaay too much of VG cats.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It reminds me waaaay too much of VG cats.

Really? I don't see a similarity at all other than possibly...actually nothing.

You could say some shading styles but vg cats changes shading often and my type of shading is really common in the first place.

TemplarOfBacon on