As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Month End Moments of the Week 06/24/09

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought Dark Wolverine was actually pretty awesome, especially the scene of Gargan
    All venomed out one step from eating Dakens head until he hears Sentry tell him to stop

Though that pheremone power is possibly one of the stupidest things Ive ever seen.

I think it's a good thing. If Daken was able to seduce women and manipulate men without the aid of a power, he'd seem like too much of a Mary Sue.

The woman seemed pretty happy just to have banged Wolverine. The power just made her forget her job position.

And take up a new position.

But with Bullseye, using that stuff seems pointless, he'd be happy to kill Daken anyway. Its a silly power along with his random under-claw.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    So Spider-Man. Good and bad.

They do just ignore the bullet, or not so much ignore as hand wave. Apparently his mask is special, only the mask mind you, designed specifically for him to fuck up apparently and get caught and shot in the face. And noone else uses this material why?

It was purely to draw people into the next comic and I know they do stuff like that all the time but this is so blatant its insulting. Hal gettnig his hand cut off? Ok how will they fix that, at least he will live. Gunshot to the face? Lets just ignore it.

And Norman has ANOTHER
    baby.

Jesus christ, talking about beating a dead horse. How? The guys an asshole, how does he get these people to comply so happily?

And what happened to Menace? From ugly freak to some kind of...I dunno...Ultimate Goblin hybrid?

Plus after all hed been through, peter still conflicted over Harry.

Come to think of it, the only good part was what Peter did to Normans face, thats a pretty brutal (for Spider-Man) thing to do.

EDIT: And Norman admitting that he just tried to flat out execute his arch nemesis without any characteristic grandeur to it, not a Norman thing to do at all.

DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Detective Comics - Featuring Batwoman. The story was pretty good. From what I can tell, its a continuation of the events that took place during 52. However, there was one thing that kind of bothered me:
    I didn't particularly care for the way Rucka was writing Kate. She seemed really out of character from how I remember her in 52. Not only that, but the tattoos and outfit she was wearing were really out of place. I thought Kate Kane was a rich woman of privilege? She seemed almost goth and self deprecating to me, which is not what I remember at all.

She was pretty out of character, but I don't really think the version we saw in 52 was established enough (much less interesting enough) to make me reject the revision. What was she, really, except for a lesbian Bruce Wayne?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the end of Thunderbolts was obvious but very cool

moment of the week was the last page of Dark Avengers. i can't wait to see the Goblin fuck up everything Norman has done

Diablo Fett on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've read the end of X-Force #16 3 times now, and I'm still not sure exactly what's up.

BostonGangler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did Messiah War just completely fall apart at the end? Just going by reader response, it seemed to start out pretty strong but has just been out there grinding gears until the finale.

TexiKen on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moment of the week by far was Norman's face when he was yelling at Namor. If anyone could scan it, it'd be wonderful because it's hilarious in my opinion.
    BECAUSE I TOLD YOU TO!!

I'm a bit disappointed in the new Sif costume design. =/

kfrooster on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OBTW, Dr. Strange was probably still SS in Thor because JMS and Coipel probably started the issue sometime around late 2007.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    Superman #689 was again very good, and like Hadji wrote, it seems to be the most important Superman book at the moment. It's a very good Mon-El around the world issue, with great art. Non-spoiler scans below:
    s689a.jpg
    s689b.jpg
    s689c.jpg

And Gotham City Sirens was good as well. March's art is very good, and reminds me of Tony Akins' work on Jack of Fables. He also in one issues draws the best Harley Quinn out there. Very good issue to compliment Streets of Gotham.

And now, for some funny between the gaggle of Gotham girls:
    Poison Ivy save Catwoman from a new wannabe villain because she's still weak from her heart being cut open and Jason Todd beating her up. Ivy has been brainwashing the Riddler and using his place as a hideout, as she gave away her 30 million Catwoman gave her for helping with Hush to a rainforest charity:

gcs1a.jpg
    gcs1b.jpg
    gcs1c.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    Were those international heroes like Von Hammer and Beaumont original characters or Z-Listers? The only ones I recognized were Freedom Beast and Congorilla.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    International z-listers who do exist but were one-offs. There was a Mexico hero Iman who appeared in a Superman annual early in the decade (he was that spanish robot suit guy in Final Crisis, btw)

TexiKen on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wonder Woman was awesome.

AXE HAND

Bloods End on
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    International z-listers who do exist but were one-offs. There was a Mexico hero Iman who appeared in a Superman annual early in the decade (he was that spanish robot suit guy in Final Crisis, btw)

Ah, some of them seemed interesting enough at a glance.

Also, Elektra had a badass moment.
    DR1-2.jpg

DR2-2.jpg

DR3-2.jpg

DR4-2.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

AXE HAND

I'm just glad Rise of the Olympians is over now. I just wasn't ever into this arc. Even the last issue felt pretty shallow to me.

Also, one thing really bugged me.
    How was she able to one-shot kill a god (Ares, the god of war) yet she was barely able to beat Genocide, who was just a reanimated corpse? Basically, what I got out of this 8 issue arc is that Ares is a giant pussy and Genocide is more powerful than a god.

Lucascraft on
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I might be totally off on this one but, during Dark Avengers... was anyone seeing Tommy Lee Jones as Norman? I swear they were using Jones as the basis for his face and expressions.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    weenus wrote: »
    I might be totally off on this one but, during Dark Avengers... was anyone seeing Tommy Lee Jones as Norman? I swear they were using Jones as the basis for his face and expressions.

quite blatantly so. like samuel l jackson as nick fury (or simon pegg in the boys) i think its some tentative movie casting going on.

it goes back further than i'd thought, as julian sands is totally in durham red...

manji on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

AXE HAND

I'm just glad Rise of the Olympians is over now. I just wasn't ever into this arc. Even the last issue felt pretty shallow to me.

How was she able to one-shot kill a god (Ares, the god of war) yet she was barely able to beat Genocide, who was just a reanimated corpse? Basically, what I got out of this 8 issue arc is that Ares is a giant pussy and Genocide is more powerful than a god.
    Isnt Genocide her own reanimated corpse from the future?

Synthetic Orange on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Spider-Man. Good and bad.

They do just ignore the bullet, or not so much ignore as hand wave. Apparently his mask is special, only the mask mind you, designed specifically for him to fuck up apparently and get caught and shot in the face. And noone else uses this material why?

I noticed that but it didnt really bother me as you tend to get the same problem with just about every plot device reed richards makes. All that world bending sci fi tech and still no cure for cancer reed?

Jeedan on
    edited June 2009
    They need to stop sending Bullseye after people, hes been stabbed twice in recent memory and hasn't killed anyone who wasn't a civilian.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    He must have a healing factor now or something to deal with constantly getting his ass handed to him. And then he can have metal claws on top of that. He's already got the adamantium, just go all the way.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    Is there any Deadpool this week?

DarkWarrior on
  • The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That Elektra moment was badass, but I thought the moment in that same issue
    Where he said, " God, I love watching you bleed." Then she took the discharged bullet to cauterize the wound on her lip,

was soooo much more badass.

And no deadpool, aside from appearances in Ms. Marvel... I think.

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

AXE HAND

Isnt Genocide her own reanimated corpse from the future?

Yes.
    Genocide is the reanimated corpse of Wonder Woman. But that doesn't change the fact that she was able to kill the god of war with a single attack, while being completely helpless for like 6 issues against a zombie.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    How out of date is New Avengers that Ms Marvel is still about and
    THe hood has just been sealed off from Dormammu?

I liked the Hood but with every issue they're making him seem more and more like a bit player.

Also enjoying Normans descent.

DarkWarrior on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How out of date is New Avengers that Ms Marvel is still about and
    THe hood has just been sealed off from Dormammu?

I liked the Hood but with every issue they're making him seem more and more like a bit player.

Also enjoying Normans descent.
    He is a bit player.

Fencingsax on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, re: Strange and Voodoo, what they did to Hood
    Since Dormamu is gone, does that mean any active Hood in the other books is Loki giving him some different powerset?

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    Every other book has Hood still interacting with Dormammu directly, but who knows what the chronology works out as.

Still, this week's New Avengers has the interview from Dark Avengers, and as of the first issue of Dark Avengers Carol Danvers should be "dead".

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    I imagine Loki is just going to undo the seal.

Youd think the Hood would have better security in his hospital room though.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009

How do you secure a room against Loki? Hang Thor on the wall?

Robos A Go Go on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish they showed Loki using his powers more often. Even if it's just shit like in those Matt Fraction one shots, where someone grabbed him and he became hundreds of butterflies or moths or something. It just seems like she (He, now? Sif has her body back. But he could still take a female form if he so chose) is always just sitting there smirking.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited June 2009

How do you secure a room against Loki? Hang Thor on the wall?

I just didnt notice any guards or anything or even a secure room that Hood was in. Youd be expecting some of his cohorts to come for him.

DarkWarrior on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really hope The Hood gets out of Dark Reign okay, i'd like to see him in a permanent position as the leader of the business orientated super-villains, if nothing else he's the only character to take a stand and beat the crap out of a furry, you've got to respect him for that.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    DW: That's a fair point, though I also think it wouldn't be a good idea to steal Parker away in the state he was in. He'd probably die in transit.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    I too would like the hood to stick about but without Dormammus power he doesnt seem to have much going for him, he got beaten by White Fang or Silver Fang, whoever it was. And I dont know how theyd keep the bck and forth going between him and Dormammu without him taking over completely.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    There's a ton of magic artifacts around. Surely they could throw a different piece of clothing on him that would give him enough power to stay in the game.

Faynor on
    edited June 2009
    Oh, yeah, I had a question for anyone who read Thor.
    Was there any significance in that Thor saw himself in Mjolnir right after it was repaired? It seemed odd to me.

Faynor on
    edited June 2009
    Well its power comes from him now. I thought we were going to get a nifty crystal hammer for a while though.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    Are you sure?
    It's power comes from the Odinforce Thor had in him, which was taken from him to repair the hammer.

Faynor on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Re: Thor
    As I understood it, Dr. Strange said that he will basically take the Odinforce out of Thor and imbue the hammer with it, making it whole again, and binding it to Thor in a very permanent manner. I assumed that Thor seeing himself in the repaired Mjolnir was supposed to either represent that the hammer is now almost like a reflection of Thor, OR that that was the representation of the Odinforce that was now in the hammer. Or both.

Not sure yet how I feel about Thor losing the Odinforce. Guess it depends on the stories they tell.

I really wish this comic came out more often, so that I would still remember what happened in the previous issue when a new one comes out.

Delduwath on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That hammer sure does break often enough. I'd ask Surtur for a refund.

Wildcat on
This discussion has been closed.