As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Faction: Guerrilla *CREAK* *CRASH* *EURGH*

• VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    God, I love the Thrust backpack. It's just the ultimate surprise. Hug the walls and then suddenly jump out through a building onto your enemies on the utter side, who are confused and blinded by rubble, because the building just fucking exploded and here comes a guy with a sledgehammer..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Holy shit! You guys weren't kidding when you mentioned the crazy ways a turret soldier on a vehicle dies.

1. side-swiped an EDF car on to the face of a cliff and it rolled over crushing the guy manning the gun realistically. I cringed.

2. head on collision with an edf vehicle led to the guy at the turret snapping forward then back really painfully.

3. drove over a ramp disguised as a hill and landed on a edf car..... on top of mans.

'Joe, time to get on that cannon. Mason is out there.'
    'Sir... i just had a kid. His names Mikey. Can't you get someone else to get on that thing?'
    'GET THE FUCK UP THERE.'

-Loki- on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If anyone's up for some matches, shoot me an invite.

It's so quiet playing with random people.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I just liberated the Badlands, will have Oasis in the bag shortly, and I'm curious- is there some stockpile of walkers and tanks I just haven't found yet, or do those show up later?

Torso Boy on
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone doin' MP?

OmnomnomPancake on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    So I just liberated the Badlands, will have Oasis in the bag shortly, and I'm curious- is there some stockpile of walkers and tanks I just haven't found yet, or do those show up later?

They're out there, just have to keep your eyes open. There is a tank in the badlands at the Garage target west of the main base with the high importance target.

Arrath on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I added the metatag as a friend, but I'm not on the list yet :( Many sads.

The difficulty spike in this game is massive. I got all the way up to the final Badlands mission without dying (apart from stupid suicides) and then got completely stuck. Running between the five targets while shot from all sides with zero cover? Impossible!

I ended up
    Ignoring the planes completely, running up to the guard tower, killing everyone inside, then sniping the planes with the nano-rifle as they took off.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Fashionist PigFashionist Pig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I added the metatag as a friend, but I'm not on the list yet :( Many sads.

The difficulty spike in this game is massive. I got all the way up to the final Badlands mission without dying (apart from stupid suicides) and then got completely stuck. Running between the five targets while shot from all sides with zero cover? Impossible!

I ended up
    Ignoring the planes completely, running up to the guard tower, killing everyone inside, then sniping the planes with the nano-rifle as they took off.

I kind of just
    Found a large hill and started shooting rockets at them. The one that was really far away is the only one that gave me trouble, other than that, it's one rocket per ship, and they generally dont make it off the ground.

Also, X-ray backpack > all for multiplayer. Nothing is as satisfying as bashing a wall and someones skull in at the same time while they wonder how the hell you knew they were there.

Fashionist Pig on
  • CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    Yay, new one.

It took me forever to destroy the bridge (High Importance) in Badlands...how did you guys do it?

I did it entirely with the sledgehammer.

I would make a hole above the support beams, drop down, knock out the supports, jump to the next one and then repeat.

Of course, it was a little harder than that explanation makes it seem. Took me close to 45 minutes because I kept falling. Still, that was about the most fun I've had in a game in forever.

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone doin' MP?

I'm game. Throw an invite to JohnnyChopsocky (I'm in the PA Red Faction meta tag list).

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • MafMaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I'm awful at convoy missions. Anyone have any advice?

Maf on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Maf wrote: »
    So, I'm awful at convoy missions. Anyone have any advice?

For destruction, either invest in some proximity mines or spray the trucks with remote mines and turn the road into a line of smoke and fire. If they pull ahead of you, hop in a car, drive a little bit ahead of the convoy and repeat.

For capturing, do the same thing, but with the Arc Welder instead of explosives.

Rust on
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So much love for this game, but I cannot find a PC demo to download! Is there one?
    Also, how robust is the PC multiplayer community? Can one get a game at any time?

The PC FAQ thread on the official forums says they do not plan to release a PC demo.
    Thanks Zxerol, I was having trouble tracking down that PC version info, probably because it was delayed.

My goodness! Mouse control in menus! I'm gonna need to get a mouse for my computer now. O.o

Their previous PC port, Saints Row 2, did not have mouse control in any of the menus at all (although it did have game-breaking performance hitching while traveling the city that didn't happen on the much weaker console hardware), so this is actually a big step up relative to their usual quality standards.

(For example, you had to use a combination of Ctrl and Shift, AND the arrow keys, to navigate the menus for buying clothes and customizing, etc.)

capable heart on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's great to know that the state of PC ports is to the point where games can claim mouse navigation in menus as a bullet point of features, and that they didn't cut shit out like multiplayer or something. Those several months of extra development over the PS3 and 360 versions sure paid off, boy howdy.

Who knows, dudes, maybe if we give them an extra month or something, they'll develop and put in a "quit to Windows STRAIGHT from the menu" feature for us, for free! Cross your fingers! :P

Zxerol on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It bears repeating that Volition did the Saint's Row II port in-house, while RF:G is being ported by another company entirely. It will basically be a straight port, but there is still at least a little hope it won't totally suck.

AH, I love that nice new thread smell 8-)
    Thanks for steppin' up Big Isy :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Zxerol, I was having trouble tracking down that PC version info, probably because it was delayed.

My goodness! Mouse control in menus! I'm gonna need to get a mouse for my computer now. O.o

Their previous PC port, Saints Row 2, did not have mouse control in any of the menus at all (although it did have game-breaking performance hitching while traveling the city that didn't happen on the much weaker console hardware), so this is actually a big step up relative to their usual quality standards.

(For example, you had to use a combination of Ctrl and Shift, AND the arrow keys, to navigate the menus for buying clothes and customizing, etc.)
    God don't remind me.. I still regret not getting the 360 version of SR2.

Fuck that PC port was so god damned bad.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Lia ParkerLia Parker __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Its really a nice game to play. But i did not enjoy a lot playing the game as i did with some others.

Lia Parker on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For help on the ore/propaganda/tag/crate locations use this map. It even lets you keep track of what you've gotten.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    It bears repeating that Volition did the Saint's Row II port in-house, while RF:G is being ported by another company entirely. It will basically be a straight port, but there is still at least a little hope it won't totally suck.

Really? I thought it was the other way around, they had some 3rd party port it and thus is sucked ass. Whereas this time Volition is porting it themselves and taking special care to make sure it doesn't blow.

Arrath on
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
    edited June 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

No they did not. They hired out the port to a "porting house" in Warsaw, Poland, a sub-company of CD Projekt actually. Reactor Zero, for RFG, is a company made up of people they've been involved with sort of before, so hopefully that will help.

I guess what I'm trying to say is overall, I LOVE their ideas for games, I just wish the actual execution was a little more competent. PC versions should be made to work right, if for no other sake than maintaining a "legacy" or reputation, etc. If you want to play RFG a couple years from now, you'd better pray the Xbox 720 or whatever is backwards compatible--whereas with a PC version that would be no problem (we can still play Wolf3D even how many years later?)
    I stand corrected on the SRII port. I thought for sure I'd heard that one was an in-house port....but apparently I was lead astray.

Hopefully those guys over at Reactor Zero do a better job than the other "port house".

CarbonFire on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just finished badlands, and got the next armor upgrade. Thank god, the current health just wasn't doing it for me. Just about finished my last main mission.
    Blowing up the five fighter jets.

Didn't seem too hard. But i had awful luck with it.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haikira wrote: »
    Just finished badlands, and got the next armor upgrade. Thank god, the current health just wasn't doing it for me. Just about finished my last main mission.

That's what I did last night. It was all about sprinting for me that seemed to work.

Hawk on
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That's what I did last night. It was all about sprinting for me that seemed to work.
    If you sneak up behind the guard at the front gate and hammer him before he raises an alarm, no one else will see you. You can get almost all the way to the first plane before anyone raises an alarm. From there, if you flat out sprint plane to plane, you should live to make it to all of them before they take off, and you can escape out the other side of the base.

I did a little more playing around with stealth, and it turns out my issue before was that the only way you can sneak behind someone at any distance is by crouch-walking. Otherwise they will hear you from a considerable distance away.

As for convoys: regardless of whether it's capture or destroy, always take the arc welder with you. Take rockets instead of charges unless you can carry more charge ammo. You can tell if you have killed the driver with the welder by standing close to the vehicle while you weld it - once the "Press Y to enter" logo comes up, he's dead. If the convoy includes non-offensive vehicles, like trucks, make sure you take out the vehicles with weapons first, whether you weld them or blow them up. Oh, and be aggressive - convoys aren't usually very fast, and in my experience it's not worth waiting for them to reach some kind of choke point. Get right up on them and attack, and then you will have plenty of time to catch up to them if you miss any.

nlawalker on
  • elijahdprophetelijahdprophet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Long time lurker, just registered today. Loving me some RF:G multiplayer. Hit me up, gamertag the same as my user name.

elijahdprophet on
    edited June 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    Get right up on them and attack, and then you will have plenty of time to catch up to them if you miss any.

I thought that if they got a certain distance away, you fail. I might be mistaken though.

Also, is there any way to get them to trigger at will? I know there are guys at the outposts that talk about convoys and stuff, but I don't think that they can be used to trigger the mission.

Maf on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game occupies my thoughts whenever I look at something I could potentially smash up with a hammer. Going to dive back in tonight and maybe brave some more multiplayer.

Is it just me that finds the Transporter missions really hard? It seems like I'm driving flat out following the route back but only have a couple of seconds room for mistakes like a marauder vehicle crashing into me. Am I making a mistake by following the route and not seeking out shortcuts?

SUPERSUGA on
    edited June 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    This game occupies my thoughts whenever I look at something I could potentially smash up with a hammer. Going to dive back in tonight and maybe brave some more multiplayer.

Is it just me that finds the Transporter missions really hard? It seems like I'm driving flat out following the route back but only have a couple of seconds room for mistakes like a marauder vehicle crashing into me. Am I making a mistake by following the route and not seeking out shortcuts?

I normally don't have too much trouble getting the regular times, but the pro times are tough. I usually spend the first few runs looking for shortcuts and crashing through things that could create shortcuts since they stay broken for your next runs. Check your map to see if there are any better paths than the one given as well.

Maf on
    edited June 2009

I went completely covert for that mission
    On the Eastern side of the "bowl" surrounding the target area, there's a spot where you can ramp a buggy up and get on top of the hill. From there, you can leisurely crouch walk your way down the other side and just pick off the jets with the nano rifle from behind the rocks on the backside of the complex. It's great watching the EDF run around like chickens with their heads cut off as they try and figure out why their jets are melting:lol: I got caught while eliminating the last jet (got careless), and then just made a break for it.

CarbonFire on
    edited June 2009
    I drove the truck in the "front door" and sprinted my whole way through. As much as it's cool to be stealthy, to be completely obvious and cognito is great.

Hawk on
  • KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    on the "destroy the planes" mission, I was in the middle of being told I should sneak in when I drove my truck right through the front gate. Mason interrupted the commander with an "oops" and the shenanigans began.

I was able to get it fairly easily by ignoring the troops and just sprinting from jet to jet. The last jet took off just before I could get to it, but it cannot outrun boolet (rocket).

As for the big bridge in badlands, I sledgehammered it. Just as... someone here said, if you carefully hammer the bridge while you're on it, and fall to the framework supports (above the indestructible concrete) you can just bash the bridge to death.

This game overall is VERY satisfying, my favorite feeling is when the controller rumbles to let me know that the giant building I'm in is barely holding itself up.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just met the marauders in the very first mission involving them. Sweet bunch. Nice of them to worship Parker.

Big Classy on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So does anyone know what effect the
    super debris and cool turrets
    cheats actually have?

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    ...Nice of them to worship Parker.

Sarchasm?

They hate the man's guts... :?

Strikerkc on
    edited June 2009
    Blue map wrote: »
    cheats actually have?
    Super debris increases explosives damage versus buildings, and creates more debris when there is an explosion. Cool turrets makes the turrets never overheat.

Arrath on
    edited June 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »
    cheats actually have?
    Super debris increases explosives damage versus buildings, and creates more debris when there is an explosion. Cool turrets makes the turrets never overheat.

Cool Turrets
    And If I recall from the description, it also makes them indestructable. a mixed blessing really. You can man one all day long without loosing it, but you can't just blow up turrets being used against you, you have to keep offing any EDF that decides to man them.

Strikerkc on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah this game is very satisfying.

Although I'm noticing the Pyramid style of liberating the lands. Parker has like 4 or 5 missions, then Dust had 3 or 4, then I just cleared Badlands which only had 2 and now I'm in Oasis that is one mission.

Am I to expect the next missions are going to hurt?

Hawk on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm spending far too much salvage on upgrading my nano rifle. I just love the thing since I took down a watchtower from a nice safe distance with it.

Also, I wandered into Oasis properly for the first time today, did a little exploring and found a mission and safehouse. I haven't yet liberated Wasteland, though. Is there anything stopping me liberating the areas in a different order? I'll probably free Wasteland pretty soon I'm just curious whether my wandering is actually contributing to the overall progress.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah this game is very satisfying.

Although I'm noticing the Pyramid style of liberating the lands. Parker has like 4 or 5 missions, then Dust had 3 or 4, then I just cleared Badlands which only had 2 and now I'm in Oasis that is one mission.

Am I to expect the next missions are going to hurt?

later missions have a habbit of sending you back into those zones with fewer missions. so you still get missions in them they just are accociated with farther along in the plot, after you have freed the zone.

Strikerkc on
    edited June 2009
    Interesting, seemed like the game was gonna end soon.

Hawk on