As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

PancakePancake Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
There's plenty to talk about when you're talking about...

starwarskotorcover2.jpg

Remember this game? Of course you do! It came out on July 15, 2003 on the Xbox, marking BioWare Corp's second foray into the world of console gaming and what remains one of the finest attempts at bringing the western RPG onto consoles. The superior PC version was released on November 19 of the same year, marking BioWare Corp's far from first foray into the world of PC gaming. It's still one of the best examples of the Star Wars epic we've seen in videogame form.

swkotor20090611001642.jpg

4,000 years before the destruction of the Death Star above Yavin IV, the Republic is at war with the Sith Empire lead by Darth Malak, the reigning Dark Lord of the Sith. Only a scant few years after the bloody end of the Mandalorian Wars, the Republic is left weakened and bloodied.

You are a newly recruited Republic soldier onboard the Republic Hammerhead-class capital ship Endar Spire, the ship assigned to transporting the Jedi Bastila Shan, a Jedi renowned for her mastery of battle meditation and her role in the defeat of Darth Revan, and currently under attack by a vastly superior Sith battlefleet.

swkotor20090614013333.jpg

Escaping the Endar Spire, you become stranded on the planet of Taris and manage to rescue Bastila and narrowly escape the planet before its destruction at the hands of the Sith fleet by stealing the Ebon Hawk, an extremely fast smuggling ship intentionally reminiscent of the Millennium Falcon.

swkotor20090618170330.jpg

You soon become involved with the Jedi Order, as the name of the game might suggest, and are spirited off on a mission vital to the survival of the Republic. You are to retrace the steps of Darth Revan and Darth Malak across the galaxy and discover the source of the power of these newly emerged Sith and put a stop to them before their vast numbers and limitless resources crush the weakened and quickly losing Republic.

swkotor20090619005806.jpg

There may also be some inappropriate humor.

swkotor20090617192204.jpg

It's a good game. You should talk about it. But not before we move on to...

kotoriibox.jpg

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords was released by Obsidian Entertainment for the Xbox on December 6, 2004 and then early the next year on the PC. At release, KotOR2 became infamous as a buggy, unfinished mess because it was, and even patched on the PC, still is without fanpatching. This was Obsidian's first released game and it was made in its entirety in only ten months, LucasArts forcing the game out the door in time for the holiday season, even having cut back Obsidian's deadline by six months.

swkotor220090625210107.jpg

But how does one truly do the game justice with a few text blurbs and some screenshots? You can't, really. It isn't an especially pretty game, even when compared to the first game in the series. Its gameplay is amazingly easy and the loot you pick up quickly catapults your stats to unbelievable heights. Its bugs are easily game breaking if you don't know how and when to avoid them or haven't installed any fanpatches, which, themselves, can sometimes break things.

swkotor220090624112833.jpg

And yet the game has found a home in the hearts of most that were able to overlook its flaws. And why is that, then? It seems to have plenty of flaws, perhaps outnumbering its merits. What it does do exceptionally well with is its writing. Filled with interesting characters and plot and philosophizing on the nature of the Force, The Sith Lords presents a different view of the Star Wars universe.

swkotor220090623001900.jpg

Far be it from being the traditional Star Wars heroic epic space opera, TSL is the dark and brooding personal story of one exiled Jedi that has returned to the Republic in the aftermath of the Jedi Civil War, the conflict fought in the first KotOR, to find the Republic on the brink of collapse and the Jedi Order all but destroyed.

swkotor220090620124442.jpg

A veteran general of the Mandalorian Wars under the man that became Darth Revan, the exile had lost her connection to the Force in the final battle of the war above the Mandalorian shrine world Malachor V.

swkotor220090625212028.jpg

Upon becoming a target for a new Sith threat and mysteriously finding herself aboard the Paragus mining facility, which she finds strangely devoid of life, the exile begins to regain her connection to the Force.

swkotor220090622013733.jpg

Under the tutelage of the secretive Kreia, the exile undertakes a journey across old battlefields and into ancient Sith secrets to discover those that hunt her, herself, the nature of the Force, and the truths behind what happened in those final moments above Malachor V.

It's a good game. You should talk about it.

wAgWt.jpg
Pancake on

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    obligatory "are Team Gizka done yet" post

YaYa on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, not yet. There's a leaked beta out there if you know where to find it, though. It's pretty much feature complete, just a bit buggy. Nothing approaching the bugginess of the game when it first came out, of course.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess now would be a good time to ask if someones ironed out a surefire way to play both kotors on vista vista yet

they were the first games I tried to install when i got vista :( all I got for either was to the splashscreen and then loading forever

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake that is a very well done OP, nice work.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the Old Republic games and they still hold up as some of my favourite gaming experiences.

KOTOR 1 is great as fantastic Star Wars story telling. It really catches the up and down rollercoaster of the original movies, with your party starting off into the unknown, almost failing completely at the hands of evil and then a final climactic showdown to resolve it. HK47 is brilliant and has pride of place in my party at all times, however he ends up getting me far too many darkside points from following his suggestions.

KOTOR 2 is great because it does the opposite. It takes the story and makes it internal, about you and the party members closest to you. Which opinion do you trust? How do you react when one of your party asks you to guide them in one of the most important decisions they may make? How do you co-operate on a ship when you aren't sure if most your party even mean you well or will sell you out for their own goals?

Kreia is also one of the finest bits of writing you will see in a game, as she fulfils the role of mentor and guide whilst always giving you just enough information to answer your questions, rarely outright confirming or denying your suspicions about her past.

I'll also link http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/ for those who haven't already seen it. The author does a really good job not just of making the runthrough entertaining, but also going deeper and explaining some things that you might have missed the first time round.

Dammit now I'm going to have to go get my copy of KOTOR 1 back off a friend.

Rogueknight- on
    edited June 2009
    I guess now would be a good time to ask if someones ironed out a surefire way to play both kotors on vista vista yet

they were the first games I tried to install when i got vista :( all I got for either was to the splashscreen and then loading forever

I've never experienced any problems with the first game beyond some crashing because of my relatively new video drivers, but I did experience crashing in KotOR2. I would start the game up and it would immediately crash to the desktop without fail.

That one was fixed by replacing KotOR2's Mss32.dll with the dll of the same name from the first game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Kreia is pretty amazing in general, really.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really wish I could find the mac version of KOTOR 1 somewhere for less than $50.

KalTorak on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your kotor 2 summary should have ended halfway through with some slap-dash conclusion bazinga

Robman on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its funny, KOTOR II is extraordinarily stable on my PC compared to KOTOR I. I was crashing to desktop every 5 to 40 minutes but still enjoyed the game very much.

I haven't finished KOTOR II. I've been waiting on the Team Gizka patch forever.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seriously though I still rage over the way KOTOR II cuts out suddenly what the fuck

Robman on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I reinstalled KOTOR1 last week. I've played it many times and I have cursed the planet of Taris each time. But this time, it didn't seem too bad and it actually seemed to be over quicker than usual.

I think it's because I used a save game editor to give my character 26 on every stat and gave myself many feats. Taris becomes a lot more tolerable when few things can even hit you and most things die in one hit.

I know, I know, I'm a cheater, but after playing the game without cheats so many times, I don't really feel guilty having a little fun playing around with the stats and feats.

Funny thing is that I never felt that Peragus was that bad.

VoodooV on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peragus isn't bad the first time because you don't know what's going on and the enemies are dead in basically 1-2 hits. The second time through has its moments because you've been through the area before and you get to admire your captor's handiwork from the get go.

The third time through Peragus you want to kill a bitch. It's long, there are no more surprises and there certainly isn't any challenge.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Chris RedfieldChris Redfield Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first in the series was, and still is, an amazing game, but I could never become anywhere near as attached to the second. I'm not sure exactly why, but the plot wasn't at all involving, it was more of a straight line too, simply: take this path. There were few little sub-stories that you could choose to complete. I haven't played in years, and know I'm off to dig out my copy of the original. Thanks a lot, Pancake, this is going to consume the entirety of my Friday night! And the next few months... Plus it was an awful lot easier than the first!

The following is a major spoiler concerning the end of the first game:
    In the first, did you guys choose to kill all your allies at the end or have them help you. I ended up with the whole 'becoming Lord of the Sith empire once again' cutscene. All the assistants that I could ended up dying...

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Seriously though I still rage over the way KOTOR II cuts out suddenly what the fuck
    When I played it everything was explained because Team Gizka thing.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cold FusionCold Fusion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I actually really enjoy both Taris and Paragus. Taris especially, I think is a lot of fun.

I think I'm just going to say fuck it and look for the leaked version of the Gizka patch. I have been itching to do a dark side playthrough for quite awhile, and I can't wait anymore.

Cold Fusion on
    1309077-1.png
    edited June 2009
    Sorry to double-post, but Jailed folk can't edit. I have only played the Xbox versions, not PC.

P.S: Nice OP, Pancake!

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So kotor 2 was awesome. Everyone knows this. But what exactly was missing from the game, the team gizka content. I assume there's a list somewhere?

The_Scarab on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    No, not yet. There's a leaked beta out there if you know where to find it, though. It's pretty much feature complete, just a bit buggy. Nothing approaching the bugginess of the game when it first came out, of course.

If you see a scene where Nihilus meets Sion in the bridge of the ship and then kicks his ass, I did that.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    So kotor 2

Maybe it was, but in that case KoToR One was uber-awesome! It is superior in so very many ways!

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe it was, but in that case KoToR One was uber-awesome! It is superior in so very many ways!
    Put me down as another one of the people who think that KotOR 2 is at least as good as the first title. The first one was classic, black-and-white Star Wars. The second one showed that the setting could have surprising moral ambiguity and depth of characterisation. In fact, other than the butchered ending I can't think of a single thing that KotOR did better IMO.

Once Team Gizka finishes its job, I'll play the fuck out of that game...! And then I'll completely ruin my social life by reinstalling Planescape Torment. :D

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited June 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    Put me down as another one of the people who think that KotOR 2 is at least as good as the first title. The first one was classic, black-and-white Star Wars. The second one showed that the setting could have surprising moral ambiguity and depth of characterisation. In fact, other than the butchered ending I can't think of a single thing that KotOR did better IMO.

Once Team Gizka finishes its job, I'll play the fuck out of that game...! And then I'll completely ruin my social life by reinstalling Planescape Torment. :D

Fine, I'll try playing it again then, I just remembered I lent someone my copy of KoToR One, anyway. So, I suppose I have no choice.

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Peragus isn't bad the first time because you don't know what's going on and the enemies are dead in basically 1-2 hits. The second time through has its moments because you've been through the area before and you get to admire your captor's handiwork from the get go.

The third time through Peragus you want to kill a bitch. It's long, there are no more surprises and there certainly isn't any challenge.

I think I hate Taris because you have to go back and forth to the upper, lower, and undercity all the time. running back and forth down those long walkways in the two upper city maps gets frickin tedious.

Peragus is a bit more linear, that and a space station versus a city with a bunch of snobby racists means that the space station is more fun.

Anyone know of any good mods for KOTOR and KOTOR2? I remember seeing some mods that allow you to make the player character use the same robes as Anakin or Obi Wan from the prequels, or anything that makes the lightsaber hilts less boring. But I can't find them again.

VoodooV on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Where's that "Let's Play" of KOTOR2..... was it a Something Awful venture or what?

Discussed cut content in great detail and sort of let everyone see the bigger picture.

Don't remember what it was, other than that it was a large compendium of screenshots and words all chapterized.

BlackDove on
    edited June 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Where's that "Let's Play" of KOTOR2..... was it a Something Awful venture or what?

Discussed cut content in great detail and sort of let everyone see the bigger picture.

Don't remember what it was, other than that it was a large compendium of screenshots and words all chapterized.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/

You were right, it was the Something Awful Lets Play forum.

Rogueknight- on
    edited June 2009

I think I'm really the only person that was completely happy with KotOR2's ending out of the box and prefer it over "look at us waving at the crowd and now jets are flying over oh this is a pretty medal."

There are some big "What the fuck is going on?" moments in KotOR2's ending, but the final confrontations and the epilogues for my party were something I found pretty satisfying. And I'm still a bit miffed that The Old Republic basically craps on KotOR2 by almost entirely ignoring it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited June 2009
    to be fair, I thought the whole "hole in the force" idea was a bit out there so I'm not sad to see them ignoring that.

I liked KOTOR2, but it just got a bit too philosophical and "out there" for my tastes.

VoodooV on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Kotor 2 was deeper than a puddle, I can see why some might have a problem with that.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    You can drown in a puddle, just think of what could happen if you go deeper.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You find cut content?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

I think I'm really the only person that was completely happy with KotOR2's ending out of the box and prefer it over "look at us waving at the crowd and now jets are flying over oh this is a pretty medal."

There are some big "What the fuck is going on?" moments in KotOR2's ending, but the final confrontations and the epilogues for my party were something I found pretty satisfying. And I'm still a bit miffed that The Old Republic basically craps on KotOR2 by almost entirely ignoring it.

But getting the medals was awesome. Cause I saved the galaxy. I want rewarding for that shit, you know?

Also, KOTOR1 had better variety of locations, that were more polished in design and visuals. Other than 'oh we're back on mother fucking Tatooine' I thought they were better than KOTOR2s kinda repetitive 'grey spaceship interior again'.

The perfect game is, of course, the writing of KOTOR 2 with the game design of KOTOR 1.

At this point, why the fuck hasn't BioWare bought out Obsidian? They clearly have budget issues with all their titles, that always seem rushed and unfinished. Heck, NWN2 was unplayable until a post-release patch. But their stories are so good, and they take pre-conceptions about the genre and twist em all over.

Basically what I'm saying is we should be throwing money at Chris Avellone. Big sacks of cash money.

The_Scarab on
    edited June 2009
    You never went to Tatooine in KotOR2. :|

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    As much as I don't hate EA right now, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable having two of the only good western RPG development studios consolidated under EA.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »
    to be fair, I thought the whole "hole in the force" idea was a bit out there so I'm not sad to see them ignoring that.

I liked KOTOR2, but it just got a bit too philosophical and "out there" for my tastes.

That's what made it so good. Usually it's dumb as rocks.

It's what made the Dark Forces series fun too. Katarn's "now I'm a Jedi, now I'm not" trips and "I'm half dark, half light, ALL BADASS" etc.

BlackDove on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why why why are you making me play these again?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why why why are you making me play these again?

I'm pretty sure its a requirement somewhere. Speaking of which I just saw my younger brother playing KotOR1 a few days ago, so I'll probably be popping in 1 followed by 2 as soon as I finish my 5th ME playthrough.

...:lol:

Dragkonias on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been thinking about booting up kotor2 again; I haven't really played it since I bought the pc version and it was buggy as shit, and subsequently played my roommate's copy on his xbox. Is there a good site for all the fan patches and so on?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited June 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

At this point, why the fuck hasn't BioWare bought out Obsidian? They clearly have budget issues with all their titles, that always seem rushed and unfinished. Heck, NWN2 was unplayable until a post-release patch. But their stories are so good, and they take pre-conceptions about the genre and twist em all over.

Basically what I'm saying is we should be throwing money at Chris Avellone. Big sacks of cash money.

Personally I'm waiting to see how Alpha Protocol turns out in October. If Obsidian produce a top quality game without the issues that have been mentioned in the past (Rushed to deadlines, patches needed to solve key problems) then I think they will very quickly get a strong fan base, similar to Bioware.

I also like the fact that Obsidian and Bioware are separate, because both seem to be trying new and innovative mechanics in their games, then the best ones get picked up as standard. Mass Effect 2 has been mentioning a dynamic "action" style interrupt for their conversations, something advertised early on in Alpha Protocol. I don't care who thought of a good idea first, if its a good idea and works well then all the better for me as a gamer.

But anyway, back on discussion, Jedi Master Vrook. (http://www.ossus.pl/images/b/ba/Vrook.jpg) Damn that guy. I go between extremes of wanting to punch him to "Drat, he is probably right, even if he is being a complete ass about it". You've got to love it when a game makes you react to a character like that though, the immersion is a little bit deeper.

Rogueknight- on
    edited June 2009
    Yep, whilst I punch him as I nod in agreement!

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I also like the fact that Obsidian and Bioware are separate, because both seem to be trying new and innovative mechanics in their games, then the best ones get picked up as standard. Mass Effect 2 has been mentioning a dynamic "action" style interrupt for their conversations, something advertised early on in Alpha Protocol. I don't care who thought of a good idea first, if its a good idea and works well then all the better for me as a gamer.

This was actually an idea that was going to be implemented into Mass Effect, as was a time limit to choosing a response. You can see hints of being able to interrupt during conversations during one of the early gameplay trailers where Shepard interrupts Garus mid-sentence by grabbing him by the collar and getting in his face.
    I've been thinking about booting up kotor2 again; I haven't really played it since I bought the pc version and it was buggy as shit, and subsequently played my roommate's copy on his xbox. Is there a good site for all the fan patches and so on?

This seems to be the KotOR modding hub at the moment after gamemods.com died, though the actual community hangs around LucasForums.

I wasn't able to find any comprehensive fanpatches on either, but I have one on my hard drive. It's a nice fanpatch that also replaces several environmental textures and adds missing shaders as well as fixing bugs. I can't for the life of me remember where I got it, but I could throw it up somewhere if there's demand for it, though it does seem to break one quest on Dantooine even though it fixes pretty much every issue in the game as far as I can tell.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Just wondering, does KoTor II have the same bugs on the Xbox? If so, is there any simple way to prevent and/or fix them?

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]