As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prints, drawings, and comics

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    stilt man makes this piece

it almost makes up for lack of herbie

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just got approval on the cover from the groom, and he approved my pitch of having Kang send out seven androids, called The Seven Deadly Enemies of Love, a spinoff on Shazam!'s Seven Deadly Enemies of Man.

Which means I get to design seven unique Jack Kirby-style robot characters for it.

I'm psyched.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    GavinGavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spider man is definitely in a "How do I shot web?" pose behind the groom, there....

Gavin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I was thinking about straightening his leg, think that'll help?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    newspider.gif

I fixed bat's chest, redrew spider-man, which should also correct his height problem (if I were to stand him up straight in the old one, he'd be like half again as tall as Bats. This also let me show more of Thor.

better?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is that Mogo up in the top left hand corner, or a Pokeball? Without the coloring it's hard to tell.

Oh, by the by, this is freaking awesome, and I plan to commission you when my wedding comes around.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It was Mogo until I just did a GIS and found out that's not what he looks like. I'll fix that later. ha!

I'm eager to see how it turns out. At 12 pages, this'll be the longest sequential I've completed by 11.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    But Mogo doesn't socialize!

:D

JoeUser on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You have the rest of the week to finish this for me.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    But Mogo doesn't socialize!

:D

Explaining just how special this event really is, eh?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Based on Bacon's suggestions:
    I don't have too much to say, other than the you tend to have the lines on both sides of your forms be symmetrical to each other, rather than using opposing curves, and you don't contrast straights against curves. This robs the form of rhythm and gives the character a puffy, baby-ish quality.

See:
    http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2008/12/disney-principles-pliable-or-organic.html

Your forms generally fall into the 3rd example, everything's put down as simple series of circles, even on both sides. See example:
    manon.jpg
    By mixing the treatment up a bit you get a much more believable, flowing effect. This also emphasizes how the musculature works, with muscles counterbalancing each other; calves working against the thigh muscles to balance out the weight of the body, to keep it standing.

EDIT: maybe I should have put this in your thread but fuck it you're already here.
    fullgroup2.gif

I reworked the musculature on handful of characters. I also corrected Mogo, so that he's back to his pool-ball design instead of the pokeball I had previously. I'll have to raise Ch'p's foot because right now, it's running off the page.

Looking better?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My biggest crit would be that it looks un-natural and rigid to have their feet all pointed inwards at the same angle. They also seem to be leaning forwards slightly. Apart from that, I really can't wait to see this finished.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I agree about the feet. Luckily, a lot of their feet are going to be covered by the bride and her dress on the front, probably all of niteowl's and most of iron man's.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    omg.. is that Arthur from the Tick?

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    indeed it is.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PRAISE JESUS.
    I know somebody already said something about them looking like they are leaning because of the feet (I think that's what they said) but to me it looks like their entire bodies are inclined forward. It's especially noticeable on the right, but the feet of some on the left look like they slope down at way to sharp an angle for the perspective of the floor.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'll tweak the ankles of the dudes on the left and upload it before I ink, perhaps it'll help. On the right, Spider-man should be leaning, I want him to look like he's leaning around to see from behind Batman.
    I should get a chance to jab at this later in the week. I already inked the right hand side of the front, I've just been too busy to scan it lately.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Loose layouts for the first three pages. Made for groom, he's writing exact dialog. Doing kind of a Kirby/Lee getup here. He and I worked out the plot, I'm doing the art and he's writing the dialog.

The text's that's in there now's just placeholders, he'll end up writing something more dynamic/entertaining for it.
    sketchpg1.gif
    sketchpgs2n3.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    pages 4 and 5.
    sketchpgs5n6.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hang on, you're doing a full comic? Man, this must be some kind of super friend.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah. 12 pages.

A lot of me wanting to do this is that I know it'd make me sit down and do something of this length, where I always get sidetracked early-on when I try to do projects for myself.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    sketchpgs6n7.gif

sketchpgs8n9.gif

sketchpg10.gif

sketchpg11.gif

sketchpg12.gif
    Pages 6 through 12. He initially wanted to be in the dominant, forceful role with the bride being scared. I think shaking up the gender roles is more humorous. Will see what he thinks of it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    edited to reduce double-post space.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    pageonetakeone.jpg

Alright, so these are the pencils for the first page so far.

What I'd like is feedback on the bullshit-tech future hologram projector at the bottom. The idea is that the base will be a light grid and the arms will have things on the end that project intersecting cones of light that produce Star Wars-looking holograms.

So far, I'm not really digging the arms of the machine. I'd like feedback/suggestions on that.

I'm contemplating ditching the arms altogether and handling that area of the format by giving more ornate decoration to the arms of his chair.

Also, feedback on the rest would be appreciated. I'm hoping to knock out the rest of it in only one penciling session and then move on to inking.

EDIT: here's the loose layout for the page, which I think displays the intersecting light cones a little better.

sketchpg1.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    slight update, partially inked still need to pencil what's going on at the bottom.
    kangpartialinks.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm digging it. Kang's immediately recognizable, and looks equally menacing and ludicrous, which is pretty perfect for the character, and the base of the little techno doodad has that clunky Jack Kirby charm.

But I do have a few nitpicks; where his hands connect there's a distracting tangent there with the line running down the middle of breastplate, his shoulders seem a little too wide, making his head look too small, and I agree that the little robotic arms of the machine could be a little more interesting. A quick Google search for robotic arm gives you a bunch of images that you could use as reference, to give them a bit more character.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this as you continue to finish pages.

Munch on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If Captain America doesn't make it in here somewhere, this marriage will fail.

*edited

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, Munch. I thought I posted a reply to your post earlier. Maybe I closed out my tab before replying. Maybe that response is sitting in the wrong thread somewhere.

but anyway, I'll do something about that tangent, I think I'll cause a band instead of seam to go down the center, putting the lines up either side.

I'm also going to redesign the arms on the base. I'm thinking of stationary instead of adjustable. Don't know yet.

I haven't worked on it all week because I've had some high-maintenance house guests. I'll get some updates up in the next few days.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    partialinkscover.gif

going to digitally add some more blacks to the ground to try to balance the dark/light out some. Have to redo some things (Manhunter's face, Ch'p's logo, Supe's logo, Sasquatch's bangs, and Mogo.

Also, straight tried to copy the way DMAC inks his domino masks.

Don't have much experience in inking, trying to get a little bit of the Jack Kirby look with heavy black shadows, don't quite think it's working.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    These aren't for the Wedding comic, I actually did them back when Incredible Hulk came out in theaters for an Amalgam project or something over in the CBR forums. I planned on coloring them, never did, forgot about them, and just found them today

For those unfamiliar with Amalgam, it was when Marvel and DC partnered up,combined a bunch of their characters and made new characters from them, such as Dark Claw.

I was combining a handful of Hulk and Superman characters.

First, Superman and Hulk:
    superhulk.gif

Next, Parasite and Absorbing Man:
    parasite.gif

Mr. Mxyzptlk and The Gargoyle:
    zegargoyle.gif

Doomsday and Abomination (mainly the movie version):
    abomination.gif

Bizarro and Bi-Beast:
    bi-zarro.gif

Brainiac and The Leader:
    leadingthought.gif

Metallo and Tony Stark:
    metallo.gif

Giant Metallo (Superman EA game) and Hulkbuster Iron Man armor:
    hbustermetallo.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SuperHulk is packin' some serious meat.

It's like the size of his head!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yeah, boy. he's stout.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd expect nothing less from a Superman/Hulk hybrid.

Godfather on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really nice inkin' you got goin' on there.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They all have a very uniformed line-width Manon, is that a concious decision?

Mustang on
  • Options
    t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Neat stuff, but man 12 pages..should keep you busy :)

As for the arms, I say drop them all together. From a design point of view if they line up the same angle as the arms it looks contrived and if they don't line up it'll ruin the whole compostion. Also, really though they seem a bit cheesy, like a 60's star trek prop. The way I look at is if they have the ability to make a holograph machine they would probably keep all the working parts on the inside to prevent breakage, and give it a more stream lined appearance. Know what I mean?

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    They all have a very uniformed line-width Manon, is that a concious decision?

It's intentional, but not executed well I admit. Those were from a year ago though (not saying I'm any better now, just that I don't plan on touching them again.)

I've got some stuff I'll be posting here from TLB's project shortly, and I'm going to give my hand at rather uniform, subtle line width when I ink it. I'm shooting for something like Geof Darrows, Moebius' Silver Surfer work, or Seth Fisher's stuff, but I don't have the level of detail to make it work, I think. The variation in their line width is minimal, and it allows complexity in the lineart without overpowering the colors once they're added.
    t i m wrote: »
    ... they seem a bit cheesy, like a 60's star trek prop.

Thanks for the feedback, duder. That's exactly why I want them in. But considering that page is sitting in my briefcase half-inked with at least a dozen sets of arms drawn and erased, I can see where you're coming from with the dropping them idea. I'll definitely consider it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    manondanajones.gif

Got my portfolio back from my printmaking class. This is the first thing I scanned from it. Woodprint, self-portrait assignment. Printed in brown ink on some thin yellow-ish japanese paper.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That came out really nice!

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, Guy.

pietadelsol.gif

Two-color, two-block print. assignment: juxtaposition of disparate images.

I'm in a Northern Renaissance art history class at the moment, and wanted to do a Pieta referencing the Mexican pride work of artist Jesus Helguera. I originally had eye shadow on Mary, but my registration was off, and that was the only place it was really noticeable, so I cut it off. Image is 6" x 9".

ManonvonSuperock on