As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

4 yo Laptop had tantrums, Resolved...*sigh* it's a dell...

NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
I'm going to start with the brief of it, then I will go into the trouble shooting that I have done. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop with the WXGA display (nice 1920x1200 glory). It decided recently that It does not like mice. The input from the mouse is completely random, or not read at all. Left clicks register as mid clicks, Right clicks go through all programs and invoke the desktop. This happens in Both WinXP and Ubuntu 9.04... And it happens sporadically. I had intentions of selling this Machine, but seeing as it is currently possessed I have no idea...

I am hoping that someone in the Great PA Knowledge Base has dealt with this problem before, because I am at a complete loss...

Trouble Shooting Thus Far:
-Tried multiple (3) usb mice
-Tried Disabling Track Pad
-Complete Reinstall of WinXP on a newly formatted Partition.
-Tested in Ubuntu. Has to be a Windows issue, right? Dead Wrong... Problem more intense in linux...
-Updated the BIOS from A03 to A05
-Installed VNC to test around the USB Bus... This made the problem much more frequent...
--Used 2 VNC clients, both mac clients: Screen Share, and Chicken of the VNC... same problem on both.
-Uninstalled VNC to lessen issues
-Tried Ubuntu again, Problem still present, though less persistent that last linux attempt

TL;DR: The Mouse had the Dur-De-Dur going on big time.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
Nackmatholn on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well that pretty much narrows it down to the motherboard or the USB hardware itself. Both would be annoying to deal with on this machine.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah... that's what I'm afraid of.. But the fact that I have the same issue with VNC takes the USBuss out of it, right? or does VNC emulate usb commands for it's click tracking... Either way it sounds like hardware, and nasty...

Edit: It's not having any effect on USB Mass Storage, I've been able to recover data off with no issue (other then a little mouse wrestling...) so that would likely point to a deeper hardware issue right? Something like the south bridge being stupid... Is that something that could be patched with firmware?

Edit2: ...wow Dell, that was stupid... The chipset drivers they supplied on their website are for the 945GM Chipset, and they were released Jan '06 (rev 7.2.2.1006) The Correct drivers are for the 915PM and were updated June '08 (rev 9.0.0.1008)... Thanks again dell for completely fucking with me...

All is well now, nothing to see here...

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, there you go. Drivers it is then. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576