As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I did have a few crashes when I played the xbox version, but I don't know if those were the game's fault or the oldish xbox's fault. Nothing compared to the 1.0 PC version though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember during the run up to the release of KOTOR2, seeing the art for Nihlus and other stuff (Pancake's sig and avatar) and thinking that Nihlus had to be this extreme badass and thinking he/she/it was going to be as awesome as Darth Maul

Then finding out that Nihlus was this gigantic red herring. grrrr!

VoodooV on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I remember during the run up to the release of KOTOR2, seeing the art for Nihlus and other stuff (Pancake's sig and avatar) and thinking that Nihlus had to be this extreme badass and thinking he/she/it was going to be as awesome as Darth Maul

He's still kind of an extreme badass. I mean, he eats planets.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

The disappointment is always in the expectation that fighting him will be 'awesome'. And yet, all his power is means he'd be more accuratly called Darth Galactus. When the solution to the combat was to exploit the mods to the best available level and/or spam something like Force Lightning, it left a sour taste for many.

I wonder if the anti-climactic nature of the Nihilus fight influenced the General 'I-learned-this-awesome-windmill-technique-from-Sith-Masters-Ooga-Booga!' Grievous fight...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2009

The disappointment is always in the expectation that fighting him will be 'awesome'. And yet, all his power is means he'd be more accuratly called Darth Galactus. When the solution to the combat was to exploit the mods to the best available level and/or spam something like Force Lightning, it left a sour taste for many.

I wonder if the anti-climactic nature of the Nihilus fight influenced the General 'I-learned-this-awesome-windmill-technique-from-Sith-Masters-Ooga-Booga!' Grievous fight...

The anti-climax of the fight with Nihilus is the point. He's the same as the exile, only taken to an extreme. All his strength and power comes from his ability to feed on others, which he can do to a degree far greater than the exile can.

He can't do that to the exile, so he's powerless against her.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, I know that. Just sayin'...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't feel it was anti-climactic at all.

He was a B character. The whole point was to make one of those "SUPER SITH LORD DARTH VADER EMPEROR" people as sideshit as possible since for the most part they're one dimensional and uninteresting. The real story was elsewhere.

I guess you just need to know what to expect.

I'd liken him to Carth's commander in the first KOTOR. Of the "who gives a shit about this fucker, just DIE already" variety.

BlackDove on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

What would be really awesome is if a KOTOR2 style story could've taken place in a game with a Force Unleashed style combat engine.

The combat in that game was awesome, but the story was terrible.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoyed KOTOR 2, but I loved the SA Let's Play. And if the game is more fun to read than play, somebody, probably many people, fucked up real bad on the dev team.

big l on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    Maybe it was, but in that case KoToR One was uber-awesome! It is superior in so very many ways!
    Put me down as another one of the people who think that KotOR 2 is at least as good as the first title. The first one was classic, black-and-white Star Wars. The second one showed that the setting could have surprising moral ambiguity and depth of characterisation. In fact, other than the butchered ending I can't think of a single thing that KotOR did better IMO.

I think I'm really the only person that was completely happy with KotOR2's ending out of the box and prefer it over "look at us waving at the crowd and now jets are flying over oh this is a pretty medal."

There are some big "What the fuck is going on?" moments in KotOR2's ending, but the final confrontations and the epilogues for my party were something I found pretty satisfying. And I'm still a bit miffed that The Old Republic basically craps on KotOR2 by almost entirely ignoring it.
    I felt the same way, actually. The ending was obviously broken and I was sad to see that, but Kreia mocking KotOR 1's plot made me giddy in ways that I'm pretty sure I'm not physiologically meant to be. That wrapped the story up for me almost as much as it would have to see most of the plot threads resolved.

edit:
    Dyscord wrote: »
    What would be really awesome is if a KOTOR2 style story could've taken place in a game with a Force Unleashed style combat engine.

I should probably pick that up at some point, as I hear that one patch made it less awful. I'd still prefer someone made a proper Jedi May Cry and/or Sith Lord Gaiden, though.

Monger on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    big l wrote: »
    I enjoyed KOTOR 2, but I loved the SA Let's Play. And if the game is more fun to read than play, somebody, probably many people, fucked up real bad on the dev team.

Kotor 2 was 100 times more fun to play than the original. Of course, I'm probably the only one who thinks that working keyboard controls, rather than the story ablobalo, is what defined it compared to kotor1.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For all the complaints about KOTOR 2s "gameplay" being somehow worse than KOTOR 1s, I honestly didn't get it. It's the exact same, except you have more options and the system is overall encouraging you to be a badass. In KOTOR 1 I didn't feel like I was the goddamn Darth Revan, I was well optimized and powerful sure but I still felt weaker than I should have been.

I really and truly can't even stand to play KOTOR 1 anymore. It's just so bloody generic and predictable. HK-47 does well to mock pretty much the entire cast of KOTOR 1 for being shallow as a puddle, and even the much revered twist of the original could not possibly be telegraphed anymore.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    For all the complaints about KOTOR 2s "gameplay" being somehow worse than KOTOR 1s, I honestly didn't get it. It's the exact same, except you have more options and the system is overall encouraging you to be a badass. In KOTOR 1 I didn't feel like I was the goddamn Darth Revan, I was well optimized and powerful sure but I still felt weaker than I should have been.

It's just that there's no real thought to balance anywhere in the game. KotOR1 isn't hard, but KotOR2 is even easier. Usually. Most of the enemies you fight do nothing for damage and you can easily boost your force power regen so that by the time you can use another force power, you're already back to full. The only enemies that pose anything resembling a challenge are challenging because they do absurd amounts of damage and can nearly kill you in one or two hits.

KotOR1 feels more challenging while still remaining completely and easily beatable for your level. It's also not filled with as much ridiculous equipment.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did anyone else think the headgear for the KOTORs was horrible aesthetically? I did actually wear em for the stats, but only just barely.

Oh yea, and Team Gizka is the new Duke Nukem Forever.

Delta Assault on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did anyone else think the headgear for the KOTORs was horrible aesthetically? I did actually wear em for the stats, but only just barely.

pfffffffttttttttahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahaha

no

YaYa on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I actually liked the 'difficulty' of KoTOR 2 (I use the word loosely)

I mean, walking into a room full of sith masters, making them wet their pants and then draining their life force without myself taking any damage?

I felt like a fucking badass.

Greeper on
    edited June 2009
    There are, you know....leaks. Which mostly work

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    YaYa wrote: »

pfffffffttttttttahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahaha

no

C'mon, you know he's right. One is by a company that fucked around for a decade and pissed away god knows how many millions of dollars on a game few people care about. The other is a fan-made patch created by an unpaid, yet dedicated group of people in their spare time over the last four or so years.

Same thing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Where are my disks, damnit.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited June 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    edit:
    Dyscord wrote: »

I should probably pick that up at some point, as I hear that one patch made it less awful. I'd still prefer someone made a proper Jedi May Cry and/or Sith Lord Gaiden, though.

Sith Gaiden is basically what it is. The story is a neat premise full of holes and wooden characters, but the combat does a pretty good job of capturing what jedi combat would actually be like (as opposed to the kotor games where you just feel like a fighter/mage.)

The more I think about it, there's really no reason it couldn't have had some better writers and just been the KOTOR story. Oh well.

edit: also, the Nihilus fight would've been better if they had just not made it a fight at all, and had it be a dialogue driven encounter like Sion's, with Nihilus trying to drain you and killing himself or something.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2009
    But the whole point was how alien Nihilus was, thus the whole backwards dialogue and all.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

I mean, walking into a room full of sith masters, making them wet their pants and then draining their life force without myself taking any damage?

Pretty much this. I consider KOTOR 2 a lot like TES3: Morrowind. It is so so broken, and so very easy if you have the slightest fucking clue what you're doing. But that's really more of a feature than a problem. Finding your own personal "most appealing way to be an inconceivably overpowered juggernaught" is half the fun.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pretty much this. I consider KOTOR 2 a lot like TES3: Morrowind. It is so so broken, and so very easy if you have the slightest fucking clue what you're doing. But that's really more of a feature than a problem. Finding your own personal "most appealing way to be an inconceivably overpowered juggernaught" is half the fun.

Exactly. Before the game starts, you're already a decorated general fighting in the Mandalorian Wars. And people are stunned when you're wiping out entire Sith death squads? That's what you WERE doing.

l337CrappyJack on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Exactly. Before the game starts, you're already a decorated general fighting in the Mandalorian Wars. And people are stunned when you're wiping out entire Sith death squads? That's what you WERE doing.
    Well, you were kind of a jedi back then.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KOTOR2 was better, whenever i play KOTOR i always feel a distinct lack of Kreia, combat system was boring in both though.

Anyway i loved them both, and i can just grab a pile of .mp3 files from their directory and start listening to the music, The Old Republic trailer uses some of the music from KOTOR2 which i found interesting.

Delicious Steve on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

Well, you were kind of a jedi back then.

And by the end, thanks to Kreia, you're better than a Jedi OR a Sith.

Wait, one second.
    Hold on.
    Could it be?

YES. I never uninstalled this game. Time to get all smug and superconfident in the face of everyone who thinks "Hah. Look at this sissy Jedi". You wish.

l337CrappyJack on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KOTOR2 was better, whenever i play KOTOR i always feel a distinct lack of Kreia, combat system was boring in both though.

Anyway i loved them both, and i can just grab a pile of .mp3 files from their directory and start listening to the music, The Old Republic trailer uses some of the music from KOTOR2 which i found interesting.
    KotOR 2's soundtrack was fantastic. The shitty mono mp3s that shipped on the disk did not do it justice at all. HQ pack is highly suggested.

Monger on
    edited June 2009

No, that's not what you were doing. You were fighting Mandalorians, which are not Sith or Jedi. They are Mandalorians. The exile was gone for the Jedi Civil War.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, there goes my next few weeks...

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I dug out my discs and tried installing this, and it crashes every time I start it. I'm not even running vista :(

boo

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Both games work swell on Vista x64. 1 moreso than 2. 2 needed some tweaking.

BlackDove on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've not played KOTOR 2 but the KOTOR 1 is one of the best games ever made. I'm waiting for the fan patch before attempting a play through of 2.

Karl on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Remember this game? Of course you do! It came out on July 15, 2003 on the Xbox, marking BioWare Corp's first foray into the world of console gaming and what remains one of the finest attempts at bringing the western RPG onto consoles. The superior PC version was released on November 19 of the same year, marking BioWare Corp's far from first foray into the world of PC gaming. It's still one of the best examples of the Star Wars epic we've seen in videogame form.

Both of those statements are wrong.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2009
    KotOR was Bioware's first PC game, it's true.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Remember this game? Of course you do! It came out on July 15, 2003 on the Xbox, marking BioWare Corp's first foray into the world of console gaming and what remains one of the finest attempts at bringing the western RPG onto consoles. The superior PC version was released on November 19 of the same year, marking BioWare Corp's far from first foray into the world of PC gaming. It's still one of the best examples of the Star Wars epic we've seen in videogame form.

Both of those statements are wrong.

No, you're right. I forgot about MDK2 and that BioWare had never made a PC game before.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited June 2009
    I guess Shattered Steel, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights don't exist.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2009
    They don't, that's true.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited June 2009
    MacroNumber you do know that "marking BioWare Corp's far from first foray into the world of PC gaming." does not mean "marking BioWare Corp's [strike]far from[/strike] first foray into the world of PC gaming."

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Hah

I did misread the second bit. Being half right doesn't fill good. Also number is much longer than then 9. Your attitude is unwarranted as I did not have one myself. I was just pointing out something that I thought was wrong. If my mistake had been pointed out before we had this circle jerk then no one would have to get snotty.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2009
    You tried to get cute and were called out on it in kind. Righteous indignation is not allowed in this particular case.

Santa Claustrophobia on