As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pink Tentacle's world of obnoxious colours

Pink TentaclePink Tentacle Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
Bonjour, dear friends.
I posted her a little a while back. I dare say I'd have been a considerably more regular poster, but I was forced to look for a new home soon after joining here and sort of lost track of my many internet dwellings.
Alas, I return, though my connection blows right now so I'll be uploading some new pieces over the next few days when i get a spare moment at uni.

All comments and criticisms and even requests are welcomed. I lack motivation, most of the time, inspiration would be delicious also.

To start things off, here's a piece I think I posted a WIP of here a while back that I finished just today, actually. It's a fan piece for a certain someone many of you will likely be well acquainted with:
ALLAN_The_Woodening_by_RichardNobody.png

Let the banter begin.
-more to come soon.

Pink Tentacle on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    First of a series of character portraits for a webcomic project I'm working on.
    The real struggle with developing these characters was, evidently, making sure they were easily reproduceable - and for my project particularly the character designs all need to get along well with frequent costume changes.
    I think I've found a sweet spot so far where I'm not spending too long on each picture, but not neglecting a certain level of detail.
    Enter_Jello_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Compositions with this kind of intensity can’t work if the art is this flat. Your linework is bland relative to your compositions, try playing more with line weight and roughen it up a little. Also, your work needs some texture, either literal or as drawn detail, to make it feel finished.

supabeast on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't mind the flatness so much, but some variation in line wight might go a long way as mentioned. Also that brush you're using within the speech bubble clashes pretty badly with the sharpness of your illustration. If you gave as much attention to your lettering as the central image, it'll really help the overall image.

Post sum more!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So here's my first crack at the sort of strip I'd roll a webcomic with. This took quite a while because I did a lot of experimenting. I felt with each frame I had a better idea of how to accomodate for a webcomic with the artwork and layout.
    All in all, it was an educational experience and more can be expected.

My only issue right now, is wondering what to do with the backgrounds in panels.

Webcomic__Chapter_One_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    olimarioolimario Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uh, I love your colors.

BRIGHTER! MORE CONTRAST! I WANT MY EYES TO BLEED!

So is the chick in the pink actually a dude?

olimario on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Something tells me that Dead Kennedys shirt is a bootleg!

I really like the style in which Ray Charles is portrayed - if the whole comic was done like this then the flatness wouldn't be an issue at all for me.

Personally I dislike the big-eye'd anime style...

Actually, a quick GUS just threw me this:
    ray_charles-234.jpg

so I presume the style is better in that panel because you had a resource to use. Ho hum.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I spent a good few hours trying to draw Ray Charles, needless to say my general style didn't quite allow for a believable Ray to be created; alas, I was slack. Forgive me?

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    sgt scruffiansgt scruffian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    why do their eyes change style after the first panel? and what the hell just happened in this comic?

sgt scruffian on
    randomSecondPanel.php
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    why do their eyes change style after the first panel? and what the hell just happened in this comic?

I seem to do nonsensical things like that with comics without really thinking about it, I guess it's just a habit, I like screwing with things.

Also, here's a real quick design I just did, I'm going to get some vinyl stickers printed soon so I thought I'd knock up a few designs, here's one based on the main character from the previously posted comic:
    Stickertrips_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    allen cover is clearly the best thing in this thread.

i really enjoy your style, but the character design makes me not want to read your comic.

either lose the ponytail, the animu eyes or the "my collar is too big and holy shit, only girls wear stuff like this" shirt (preferrably all three)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jeez, can we lay off the "you stole from a ref" for awhile? Doesn't every pic of Ray Charles look exactly like the image you posted?

I dig the zanyness of the comic and all, but yeah, the character designs are pretty hard to stomach. Also you might want give some sort of indication that the blind girl is on the main characters left, even when hes talking to the dude on the left. Even if you could only see a hint of an orange ponytail in the forth panel, it would go a long way. It isn't super clear that they're all sitting in a row because you never see all three of them at the same time.

Those'd make really nice stickers btw...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah i forgot to add that the single head in itself aint too bad. iI really dig the colours in. that one

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just to clarify, I never suggested that using a ref was stealing - just that it explained why the style was different (better). I actually think this is a good example of good ref use, as some of the style is still there (i.e. the tooth-edged shadows).

No need to 'lay off' when there's been no 'laying on'. :winky:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Here's a quick one I did for a friend's birthday, about to head there now so I'm keeping this post short.

Back_in_home_country____by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is the pink one a boy again?

please stop doing that.

It's akin to drawing a tree and trying to convince your audience that no, it is actually a moped.

Not trying to be a dick because your style is effin awesome, but i assume you want people to read/enjoy your comic?

You're giving me visual information, which my brain processes, and then you smack my poor brain on the nose and are all "No, bad brain, you've got it all wrong!". Now my brain is quitly sobbing in the corner because it feels inadequate.

Way to be a dick, man.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg