As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Drain On) Vampire: The Requiem | Raining Blood in Seattle

Saint JusticeSaint Justice MercenaryMah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Critical Failures
The game is scheduled for Sunday nights @ 7:30 pm CST (until further notice on the time) and our next session is July 26th.

We are using IRC to play the game. Server and channel info is listed below.

IRC server: Darkmyst

IRC channels we'll be in: #vtr, #ooc

I'll also be on the PA server in Ventrilo if you want to do some OOC voicechat and/or listen to some piping mood music for the chronicle. Vent info listed below.

Server: V53.DARKSTARLLC.COM Port: 11065

Also be sure to use this nifty program for your character sheet: http://www.freewebs.com/shoatm/ It makes things much easier and has some cool touches like a place for your character's image.

Player list (Fourm name, player name, covenant, clan, timezone)

No-Quarter - "Magnus" (Ordo Dracul / Mekhet) (EST)
Egos - "Varen" (Ordo Dracul / Daeva) (CST)
Alazull - "Jacques" (Invictus / Ventrue) (PST)
ChideRoland - "Eva" (Unaligned / Mekhet) (???)
CJ Iwakura - "Dimitri" (CotC / Mekhet) (EST)

The setting will be June 30th, 2009 in the city of Seattle. Character creation will be fairly standard, all 5 main Covenants and unaligned are allowed and you may be a member of a bloodline as long it is cleared by me first. Players will have 50 xp to spend and thus will fall between "up and comer" and "established kindred" status. As far as weapons and equipment, everyone may start with a modest haven, basic wardrobe of clothes, and a melee weapon and firearm. If you select something that could be deemed too exotic or overpowered, just ask me about it first. Please post, PM me, etc. if you have any further questions.

Without further ado, behold the intro to our Chronicle:

Seattle Under Siege!

Prince Benison has ruled Seattle for decades. Relatively speaking, his rule has been a stable one and the balance of power between the Covenants has remained largely unchanged. Kindered have gone about their unlives without much undue attention or conflict from beyond the state of Washington. All of that is about to change.

Violent crime is on the rise, especially homicide and "gang violence". Many vampires have been killed, some of which have been quite powerful and influential. Mortals are beginning to ask questions and some are even rumored to have glimpsed some of the night's hidden truths. Even more disturbing are the signs that some of these killings are the work of the vile BELIAL'S BROOD. With the masquerade threatened, and vampires focused more on survival than politics (at least temporarily), Benison has organized coteries to investigate and combat these common threats to all "civilized" kindred of Seattle. Although many have already been organized toward the defense of the city, Benison knows that this next group of kindred is instrumental in the coming nights. Scheduled to arrive at his mansion within the hour, the Prince's "insight" has shown that upon this coterie, Seattle's fate lies. . . . . . . .

"The sPaCe NeeDLE GanG shaLL PiErcE the VeIL Of nighT and bAthe the CIty iN A RaIn oF BLOOD to eNd tHe COMinG ReIgn of MADNEss! AHAHAHAHA HAHAHA HO HO HO HEHEHE"

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
Saint Justice on

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm presuming you probably don't want the obligatory ice queen Kallisti. Also, is it an issue if I've read Belial's Brood in the past? (Back when it came out, don't remember much at all.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It doesn't matter, just don't metagame. Which book is Kallisti in? I'm getting some PDFs as we speak

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Invictus. I'm more interested in playing up the drawback than anything else; it's always struck me as a really good dramatic kernel but it's so close to drama-whore territory that I can understand skipping it.

Either way, I'm still looking at city history. I want to think of an Acolyte but all I'm getting so far is Carthians...and I don't think I'm connected enough right now to touch a Sanctified or a Dragon. Seattle's a city that'll take some work for those two.

Edit: Good thing we're not playing Mage, though, you'd sneeze and hit a Libertine.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kallisti is a bit much for me. I'm restricting that bloodline. I'm open to other bloodlines if you want to play another bloodline.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kallisti is a bit much for me. I'm restricting that bloodline. I'm open to other bloodlines if you want to play another bloodline.

That's fine, like I said. Plenty of other fish in the sea. And now I'm going to sleep on it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My Sunday nights are free, and I have the books.

Can I play?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sounds good to me. Send me a PM, we can work out details on character and everything. I have xfire, yahoo, and windows msnger so include username/email and hopefully we can IM.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Definitely playing a Ventrue Invictus.

Really happy to see you guys went with Seattle! It'll be interesting.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ChildeRolandChildeRoland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd love to play, too.

Working on a character: A sneaky Mekhat, with low humanity.

ChildeRoland on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And with my Daeva Acolyte, we'll have all five clans, if not all five covenants for the perfect Coterie.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who's playing a Nos?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    <--

Dunno about all five covenants. My Nossie is a Lancea Sanctum... person.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just in case there's any confusion (the core rulebook sure doesn't help), Invictus are the First Estate, the Lancea Sanctum has Sanctified, the Ordo Dracul is made up of Dragons, the Carthian Movement is carried on the back of Carthians, and Acolytes belong to the Circle of the Crone.

(genitive noun yada blah)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cool, I guess I'd be a Dragon, then. Phil's never really been comfortable with his existence as a vampire since his Embrace, and eagerly joined the Ordo when he heard they were working to remove some of the drawbacks--to him the Coils feel like becoming a bit more human again.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So if the Mekhet is a Carthian, then we will have the "perfect" coterie. (Don't feel intimidated Roland, it's just a rarity if it does happen.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Carthians seem to me like just a more optional Camarilla, so they'd be a good "default" choice anyway.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are 5 players already signed up? I own all the books and am looking to join, I'm a relative newbie to nWoD (and RPing in general) even though I buy the books and read them religiously.

I'm free Sunday nights.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I gave a look at a Requiem book, and you can color me interested if there's still room. Likely a Mekhet/Ordo Dracul.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best part about the Seattle setting is the Seattle Underground.

Literally, the city burnt down at one part and they just built over most of it. Could account for a large Nosferatu population.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Looking at a Daeva or Ventrue, could be tempted to go Nosferat.

What's the story with players?

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was thinking Unaligned, frankly. I could make Carthian fit, I think, but here's the concept I've been working on. This is my first Vampire game, so apologies if it's terribly cliche or violates some rule or whatnot; feedback is sought:
    Eva Tally had always wanted to be a homicide detective. She was a good investigator, she could hold her own in a scuffle, and she had put in her time (putting in time on traffic duty, in a patrol car, and in Robbery). But her bosses never trusted her. She had always thought this was because she was a woman, but that wasn't the case.

More likely it was because she'd been in 10 officer-involved shootings in her first 4 years. Maybe because they'd seen the look in her eyes as after she'd shot that unarmed rapist in the middle of Evergreen Point Bridge. Maybe because they realized she like a dead perp just a little too much.

After her embrace, she realized it, too. She no longer had to worry about internal affairs. And she didn't need a gun. And if the Prince never found the kine bodies, no harm, no foul.

The Character is primarily focused on stealth, close combat, and investigative skills. Poor connections to the Kindred society, as she has concerned herself primarily with "righting" (if you can call it that) mortal wrongs, although, after a couple pre-meditated murders (she wouldn't call them that), her humanity isn't flawless. (This ignorance of the vampire politics also masks my general lack of having played in the setting previously).

ChildeRoland on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I gave a look at a Requiem book, and you can color me interested if there's still room.

Ditto, Daeva Carthian would likely be of interest for me.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm plunging into my character as we speak. I'll likely not choose a bloodline, just a standard Ventrue.

EDIT:Saint Justice have you made any decisions on who's in? I don't want to work up a sheet to find out it's worthless.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys, sorry I've been out of communication for a couple of days. Been having problems with my internet connection. I'm flattered by all the interest shown here. I'm going to review what we've got already, those who are interested, and PM people that have shown interest in the thread. It is essential that you have Sunday nights free, are cool with it being non-pbp, and have access to WoD and V:TR core books. Just reiterating, here. I'll stay in touch as much as possible.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    holy shit you're alive

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hah, thanks for your concern. I'm reviewing the info I've got so far. Everyone make sure you post/PM me what your time zone is. I'm Central Standard Time and we'll be starting our game most likely @ 6 pm CST (could be later, we'll all decide on what works best for the group)

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was thinking Unaligned, frankly. I could make Carthian fit, I think, but here's the concept I've been working on. This is my first Vampire game, so apologies if it's terribly cliche or violates some rule or whatnot; feedback is sought:
    Eva Tally had always wanted to be a homicide detective. She was a good investigator, she could hold her own in a scuffle, and she had put in her time (putting in time on traffic duty, in a patrol car, and in Robbery). But her bosses never trusted her. She had always thought this was because she was a woman, but that wasn't the case.

More likely it was because she'd been in 10 officer-involved shootings in her first 4 years. Maybe because they'd seen the look in her eyes as after she'd shot that unarmed rapist in the middle of Evergreen Point Bridge. Maybe because they realized she like a dead perp just a little too much.

After her embrace, she realized it, too. She no longer had to worry about internal affairs. And she didn't need a gun. And if the Prince never found the kine bodies, no harm, no foul.

The Character is primarily focused on stealth, close combat, and investigative skills. Poor connections to the Kindred society, as she has concerned herself primarily with "righting" (if you can call it that) mortal wrongs, although, after a couple pre-meditated murders (she wouldn't call them that), her humanity isn't flawless. (This ignorance of the vampire politics also masks my general lack of having played in the setting previously).

I like it, it's an interesting setup with good potential for character growth. Especially since she will have bigger fish to fry than kine injustices. . .

It's looking like it will be Arivia, Ineednosalt, YesNoMu, Alazull, and ChildeRoland. They were first 5 to volunteer (some even before this thread) and all have Sunday evening free, core rules, etc. I've got backup players in order of apperance in case they become needed and are still down to play: NoQuarter, CJ Iwakura, and Egos. I'll let you guys know if anybody falls through. Our lineup looks quite serindipidous as we have all 5 clans represented and possibly all 5 Covenants (5th will be either Carthian or unaligned). I"ll be updating OP w/ this info, too.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Haha, I thought the WoD curse had struck again.

What time zone are you in, by the way? Important to know when "Sunday night" is.

edit: ninja'd!

edit2: EST for me.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    EST for me too.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Haha, I thought the WoD curse had struck again.

What's the WoD curse?

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Apparently the Storytellers for WoD games on this board tend to disappear. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it bandied about.

OK, so character building. The most optimal thing to do as an advanced character is pretty clearly to put dots in as few stats and skills as possible (though I'm not sure if the fifth is worth it), and then spend XP for the rest, while it's cheaper. Is this kosher? Is that what the rest of you guys are doing?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Here's my view on this form of "power gaming" (stat efficency): I'm fine with it as long as you don't take it to the point where you're actively working against your character's background, personality,etc.

For example: In Roland's case, he described a woman with an extensive police background. If she completely ignored a skill like "investigation" just to whore out her weaponry skill, then that would be an excess of metagaming.

I encourage you to create your characters based on their background, personality, etc. If you want to be a little more efficient with how you do some of that, it's usually fine. If it's to the point where you might be too wimpy for combat then I would completely understand. Just don't overdo it.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quick question: Where can I take Cruac rituals from? (On the topic of stats, I am trying very hard to not go for Striking Looks 4/obligatory.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Do you mean which books can you take them from? Most likely any, but if it's not from the core book, then PM me about it or whatever. Cause atm I just have the core books available.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay, will do.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll get a sheet up for you today, SJ.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I must admit, my police-background character is totally worthless with a gun. I just overlooked it.

ChildeRoland on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Apparently the Storytellers for WoD games on this board tend to disappear. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it bandied about.

OK, so character building. The most optimal thing to do as an advanced character is pretty clearly to put dots in as few stats and skills as possible (though I'm not sure if the fifth is worth it), and then spend XP for the rest, while it's cheaper. Is this kosher? Is that what the rest of you guys are doing?

because it's WoD and I'm about zero percent interested in character efficiency (I'm making a nurse, after all), I'm just laying out the dots where they make sense.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I must admit, my police-background character is totally worthless with a gun. I just overlooked it.

If you really want to be specific, Tales from the 13th Precinct has starter dot allocations for detectives and stuff.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

If you really want to be specific, Tales from the 13th Precinct has starter dot allocations for detectives and stuff.
    I may have to check that out, but I'm unlikely to buy another book for just the one character. Maybe the local library has them...

I fixed the defect; she now has one dot in Firearms. Which, frankly, is probably all most cops have.

ChildeRoland on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]