As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] I Wanna Be The Guy! BONUS SUMMARY VIDEO! (NSF56K)

1101112131416»

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't hold me to this, but I might get this started earlier than previously indicated.

joshofalltrades on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I've decided to do a Let's Play of Iji on the hardest mode and start a trend of intense indie platforming.

Oh god, Ultimortal? I've heard nasty things about it. You've beaten the game on that difficulty before, right?

Then again, you did just do a let's play of I Wanna Be The Guy.

jothki on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nope, never tried to beat it at that difficulty. As a matter of fact, I've beaten it on Normal and am halfway through on Hard.

Of course, I never did beat IWBTG on Very Hard. After making this LP, I had to let the anger go for a while.

Maybe I'll fire it up really quick just to see if it's even possible for me to beat it on Ultimortal...

EDIT: Actually, I'm at Sector 7 on Extreme. I don't even have Ultimortal unlocked yet. Working on it now.

joshofalltrades on
  • capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awesome LP, "piss up an asses ass" was my favorite.

capnrico on
  • GooglyBooglyGooglyBoogly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just wathed the whole LP, nicely done. Gotta love the Napolean switch in 8B

GooglyBoogly on
    Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
    Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just watched the video review, and I'm sorry, but that kid is trying way too hard to be like the angry video game nerd, and he's failing.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, I just hunted this thing down, and loving it so far. Do you know the audio in 7A has been disabled, though, joshofalltrades?

yalborap on
  • BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm having a bitch of a time getting down that spike tube thing leading to the motherbrain area. I can never seem to miss that last set of spikes before it leads to the bottom.

Burgu on
    edited March 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Okay, I just hunted this thing down, and loving it so far. Do you know the audio in 7A has been disabled, though, joshofalltrades?

Yeah, I know... Unfortunately I have lost my backup of it and it's doomed to disappear for eternity. The highlights are all in the summary, though.

Edit: Ahhh, anoffday, you meant the review thing, not the summary. My bad. Here I thought I was getting some criticism, which would not have been terribly unwelcome.

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting this wayyyyy old LP but I figured out what the problem with video 7A is. Apparently there was a copyright dispute, but only on the audio and only on this one video? Anyway, the fuckers can get bent. I deleted it and I'm reuploading it now.

EDIT:

Pshaw, that didn't work. The song in question is "Rubber Biscuit" by the Blues Brothers. Who would have thought my teensy insignificant video could infringe on their poow widdwe copywights? I changed the song to "The Masochism Tango" by Tom Lehrer. Hopefully his estate is a little less enthusiastic about pursuing infringement.

Besides, I thought it was fair use. I only used a tiny part of the song.

EDIT EDIT:

So, that didn't work either. I'm just cutting that little segment out. If they still won't let the video play with audio, they can suck it.

joshofalltrades on
  • GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn the Man.

Gahazakul on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You need to make a new lets play. Nothing I have seen ever compared to the epicness of this one.

There has to be some painfully challenging freeware games out there for you. I know I found a hardmode of Cave Story that is ballbusting as all hell.

Kai_San on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    As much as you hate them, you should play a ridiculous ROM hack.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited June 2009
    I was going to do Iji, but the kids have been around too much for swearing.

But check it out. Everybody is going out of town for a week starting next Friday. Can I do a Let's Play in a week, I wonder?

At this point, I'm much more intrigued by the possibilities of a "The Path" Let's Play. There would be some serious editing, though.

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2009
    Why would you subject us to that, man?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited June 2009
    Because I love too much.
    Kai_San wrote: »
    You need to make a new lets play. Nothing I have seen ever compared to the epicness of this one.

There has to be some painfully challenging freeware games out there for you. I know I found a hardmode of Cave Story that is ballbusting as all hell.

I'd be interested in playing that to see if it has the potential for entertainment. Know where I can find it?

I've already beaten Cave Story vanilla (including Hell, which had some expletive-inducing moments as well).

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2009
    Cave Story Hard-Mode:

Beat the game while only using the Polar Star and fully upgraded Nemesis.

No missiles.

Nerdgasmic on
  • CelerityNovaCelerityNova Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    scha⋅den⋅freu⋅de
    –noun
    1: satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.
    2: I Wanna Be The Guy.

Iji is a pretty fun game. Though the hardest mode... not so much. You can't unlock most stuff there either.

CelerityNova on
    edited November 2009
    Hate to resurrect this thread, but YouTube seems to have reinstated Part 7A!

Audio now works completely, even the Rubber Biscuit portion. It's about time.

joshofalltrades on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd love to see you take on Prinny, because it would drive you mad.

Get a PSP. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Shows up as "video deleted by user" in the OP.

UEAKCrash on
    edited November 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Shows up as "video deleted by user" in the OP.

Thanks, fixed.

Audio is still muted for the first minute or so, just bear with it. It was always like that, the audio track for that first little bit was lost.

joshofalltrades on
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GAH i'm so sick of sitting through cutscenes just to die b4 hitting mike tyson

GarethMagis on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I haven't played in forever... but I'm pretty sure there's a button to skip that. Really can't recall which one.

Monsty on
    edited January 2010
    GAH i'm so sick of sitting through cutscenes just to die b4 hitting mike tyson

Press S to skip cutscenes

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2010
    Okay, YouTube has decided to be amicable and has restored the videos and my account. They were total fuckwads about it the entire time, though. I never got a notice saying they went back up. Maybe if it sticks around for a while I'll double post future LP endeavors on blip and youtube.

joshofalltrades on
  • Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Very happy to see your videos back up. It pained me to think you went through all of that trauma for nothing.

Went to show some friends your work a week or two ago, and lost my shit when I saw it was down.

Can't imagine what went through your head when it happened.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm glad to see your videos back up. Its because of your videos that everytime I play Castlevania:HD on XBLA I jump away from Dracula's wine glass. I never trust that sneaky bloodsucker.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, josh, I'm starting to think you have a spike fetish.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • ftrftr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I came.

I meant that.

Seriously, you should see if you can recover a local copy of these vids tbh, keep em for posterity. Effing hilarious.

ftr on
    PSN: ftr2k8
    PC PS3 PS2 DS PSP.
    edited August 2010
    You know, josh, I'm starting to think you have a spike fetish.

Well, just look at 'em. All pointy and long, just waiting to be shoved inside me.

Mmm.

What were we talking about

joshofalltrades on
  • LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome Let's Play, loved it... Happy that youtube put it back up, had wanted to watch it since I saw your VVVVV LP and I consider this one to be really good too :)

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, YouTube has decided to be amicable and has restored the videos and my account. They were total fuckwads about it the entire time, though. I never got a notice saying they went back up. Maybe if it sticks around for a while I'll double post future LP endeavors on blip and youtube.

Oh thank God.

OK you need to create backups of these videos now, should they ever vanish from youtube again.

slash000 on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watching this again man it's like looking in a time capsule

where josh didn't have any kids, i used correct grammar and punctuation, and the audio mix was TERRIBLE :P

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    when were you involved in this

Nerdgasmic on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i...wasn't?

Rent on
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i got as far as mecha birdo when i first played this several months ago (on medium)

i've played it maybe twice since then

fuck mecha birdo

my z key finger just isn't fast enough

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited November 2010
    I started the fanmade sequel to this, and it has some interesting parts, but there's a couple problems.

1. The jump is noticeably higher than the original game, and I'm still not used to it several bosses in.

2. A lot of the deaths are just random without being funny. They weren't really able to duplicate the twisted genius of Kayin's level design.

The Portal level is kind of cool though. And the Cacodemon boss was pretty epic.

joshofalltrades on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The spikes don't even jiggle in IWBTFG before coming up and pissing you off. and the emphasis on "track my last position projectiles, or just plain cheat" is over used.

It was still fun, but I didn't even feel the urge to really explore for the secret stuff.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    I hate to bump this out of nowhere, but I do want people to know that I'm going back to my LPs and making them compatible with the new forum, starting at the beginning. This one was the easiest, but now all the videos are embedded and correct again, so my sig doesn't send you lovely folks to a nether-land of terribleness.