As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Cookie Brigade 2009: Sign Up Now!!

12346»

• nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy Cow, Hypatia, that rocks!
    I haven't even completely settled on what I'm baking yet...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OOOO OOOO OOOO I so want to help out with this for many reasons.

I sent you a PM and well I can't really say too much about other ideas I have for this because it is in violation of TOS for the forums I think. But man, I like this.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Great, now it will be easy for me to see you and intercept any of the Cookie Brigade as they are trying to do something different! I can hear the conversations now...

Brex123: 3 cookies please
    Cookie Brigadier: ... but I'm playing the L4D2 demo... can't this wait a minute?
    B: I have my money right here. I will hold the controller for you while you get the cookies. *continue to waste CB's turn before turning around to receive cookies*
    CB: *walks to back of demo line dejected*
    [/joke]

Seriously, That looks awesome, be prepared to see me MANY times over the PAX weekend. I will happily drop a controller to get cookies for a good cause.

Brex123 on
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NO WAI! FREAKING AWESOME!

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy Shit!

That's kick ass.

Highfire on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy shit.

There are no words sufficient.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hypatia, that's amazing, and yet way too exposed. Remember that we need to be UNDER THE RADAR. We cannot get caught by the food company that does all of the food for the convention centre, or the entire operation will be busted, and that would SUCK. Take off the giant logo and you should be good to go.

So I'm realizing that its less than 2 months until PAX, and we still need to determine lots of things, like what we should collect money in, where we're going to store cookies if necessary, where to count money, etc. Also, are we going to use aprons, or tote bags, or...? We need to get on this asap.

Man, I am so Canadian.. spelling it "centre" not "center" ;-)

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I updated the OP with a roster, according to posts here, and the PMs I've been getting.

If you are not on the list and want to be, let me know! It's never too late to sign up. Just tell me which category to put you under.

If you are on the list, but are in the wrong category, let me know and I will move you to the appropriate category.

Remember, this is all about what you feel comfortable doing. PAX is a time to enjoy yourself, so bake, distribute or do both, but do what YOU want to do. :)

SergeantAuberie on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's freaking AWESOME Hypatia! I love it! =)

If we can find a way to make the actual Cookie Brigade logo easily obscurable, we'll be golden!

Ooh, this tube idea could tie together really well with the "covert cosplaying" idea too... make a single dispenser tube, cosplay as Cardboard Tube Samurai, and then just refill that single tube as it goes empty. Hmm... =)

EDIT: Also SergeantAuberie, just so you know my wife's probably not going to be able to make any cookies this year (and believe me, *no one* wants me to make cookies myself for this, whether you know it or not... I have a -20 modifier to all "baking" skill checks =) ), so I'll definitely be just distributing. But I will do my best! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's freaking AWESOME Hypatia! I love it! =)

If we can find a way to make the actual Cookie Brigade logo easily obscurable, we'll be golden!

Ooh, this tube idea could tie together really well with the "covert cosplaying" idea too... make a single dispenser tube, cosplay as Cardboard Tube Samurai, and then just refill that single tube as it goes empty. Hmm... =)

EDIT: Also SergeantAuberie, just so you know my wife's probably not going to be able to make any cookies this year (and believe me, *no one* wants me to make cookies myself for this, whether you know it or not... I have a -20 modifier to all "baking" skill checks =) ), so I'll definitely be just distributing. But I will do my best! =)

Kk. That's why you were on both lists. I wasn't totally sure what you were planning on doing.

Also... You could make the CB sign reversible and attachable with... velcro. Make one side say something else, and the other side say CB. Then you could switch it back and forth - and it would be much more easily obscurable.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited June 2009
    No worries Auberie! I didn't know until relatively recently either. =( She was enthusiastic about making them, and now I'm 99% sure she's not going to be. =(

Ooh, I like the idea Auberie with the velcro! You'd just have to attach the sign/velcro in a spot that you could grab and flip really quickly in emergencies.

VThornheart on
  • teklanikateklanika Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would love to sign up for baking, but not distributing. I have too much else going on for distribution, but I am a baking machine, and live in Seattle, so I will absolutely provide lots of cookies, woo!

Also, I'm not sure if some of the fantastic traveling bakers are interested, but I would like to offer my house, which is about 10 minutes from downtown, as a baking location. I have a massive kitchen with lots of counter and fridge space, so if there are folks who are concerned about traveling with baked goods who are arriving Thursday or earlier, my kitchen is available!

One question - I have several friends who are gluten-free, so I've gotten used to doing some gluten-free baking... Is there interest in having gluten-free goodies available, or is that too small a portion of the population to be useful? I noticed the vegan options being presented, but since the two categories don't necessarily overlap, it seemed worth the inquiry.

teklanika on
  • lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    teklanika wrote: »
    One question - I have several friends who are gluten-free, so I've gotten used to doing some gluten-free baking... Is there interest in having gluten-free goodies available...l?

YES
    Please see: This Thread for more encouragement.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • leeesherleeesher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow, didn't realize the forums had an active CB topic again! I just read through the entire thread.. yikes.

A few things... :)

1) I made last years logo as a vector, so it should be pretty versatile and shouldn't need to be recreated unless we want a different design :)

2) I've been a vegetarian for 13 years now, and the idea of buying a cookie that has been mingling in a box of bacon cookies grosses me out a little. I have a friend who regularly bakes bacon chocolate chip cookies and I am told they are actually delightful, but if you're going to make them for PAX, please keep them in a separate container. Let's be respectful of our Muslim/Hindu/Jewish/Veggie friends.

3) I'm making vegan cookies as well as gluten free cookies, assuming I can get my hands on almond flour that isn't a gazillion dollars a pound.

4) Hypatia, that thing is NUTS. I love it, and the logo looks awesome. . . . is it too obvious though? Are we going to get ourselves in trouble? It makes me worry a little. :? Still awesome.

5) OMFG SO EXCITED :mrgreen:

leeesher on
    edited June 2009
    So, we've also been having a discussion via our google groups page, so go check it out.

leeesher, can you upload the vector image to the google groups page again, please?

chibidani on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    leeesher wrote: »
    2) I've been a vegetarian for 13 years now, and the idea of buying a cookie that has been mingling in a box of bacon cookies grosses me out a little. I have a friend who regularly bakes bacon chocolate chip cookies and I am told they are actually delightful, but if you're going to make them for PAX, please keep them in a separate container. Let's be respectful of our Muslim/Hindu/Jewish/Veggie friends.

They will be kept separate, worry not about that. In fact, they'll probably be individually wrapped and in a separate container.
    3) I'm making vegan cookies as well as gluten free cookies, assuming I can get my hands on almond flour that isn't a gazillion dollars a pound.

I've got a source for Almond flour at my local farmers market, I can check prices for you next weekend if you want.

SlickShughes on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Trader Joe's has 'Just Almonds' almond meal pretty cheap. A quick whirr in the blender gets the least expensive almond flour I've ever had. Hope that helps!

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited June 2009
    I really hope that it's okay that I blogged about this

Jules@Party934.com on
    edited June 2009
    Jules, I'm sure its fine. I highly doubt anyone from the WSCTC staff is going to read your blog, or even this forum. However, informing other ppl is totally awesome. The more ppl that know about this, the better it will be :)

chibidani on
    edited June 2009
    chibidani wrote: »
    Jules, I'm sure its fine. I highly doubt anyone from the WSCTC staff is going to read your blog, or even this forum. However, informing other ppl is totally awesome. The more ppl that know about this, the better it will be :)

Cool :) If it ever does become an issue (my blog is a little high profile) let me know, and I will edit out parts of it that may become an issue.

Jules@Party934.com on
    edited June 2009
    WSCTC really aren't that serious about this. They do not have a net investigation wing. I think you're OK. :P

SlickShughes on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WSCTC really aren't that serious about this. They do not have a net investigation wing. I think you're OK. :P

Are you sure about that? :shock:

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited June 2009

Pretty sure.

SlickShughes on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pretty sure.

You failed to check my velcroed wallet! There is an ID in there that says "WSCTC Envestigaishuns: Intarwebz Wing - Kalifornya Deevishun"

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited June 2009
    True, I mean I'm sure that deep down they probably don't really care (and may even like the notion... what can I say, I'm an optimist! =) ), but they have to pretend that they do for their contracts or something. But if they're put between a rock and a hard place, they might have no choice but to start kicking people out, which is why some level of discretion is required. =)

VThornheart on
  • confractoconfracto Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    uh, yeah, no.

Obviously I'm the only person last year who noticed Robert Khoo looking very innocent next to the head suit of the convention center last year while we were counting money in a rather poor location.

It's good that nothing happened, but I think it could also be that we were already done at that point. We don't want anyone to get kicked out of PAX, and I think more exposure isn't worth the chance of missing out.

The pin badges we had last year were fine, apart from breaking (sorry about that). We certainly didn't have a problem with demand, everyone was thrilled to take part...or just take cookies :) And while there were complaints of not being able to find us, I think that's also an issue of PAX being rather large, and us not being able to have a fixed location (again because of the convention center).

confracto on
    edited June 2009
    Eek, I didn't know about anything like that happening. I definitely don't want to inconvenience/harm anyone with this effort, and I don't think anyone else does either. Rest assured we're already planning the methods to be more discreet than last year. =)

VThornheart on
  • SlifterSlifter Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Sounds interesting, count me in for baking and distribution. Out of curiosity about how many cookies did people sell on each day and at what price? I'd like to know roughly how much to make and what to charge.

Slifter on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At that particular moment, security was the specific issue with the counting of the money, not food contracts. 2-3 of us should've counted it out behind one of the side BYOC tables (like where the buttons were displayed). I venture to guess Red would not have minded. We could've created a very subtle human screen. It would have gone completely unnoticed. It was an error in judgment on our part.

I will be baking. I may distribute, unsure, but at the very least I will supply others. I felt unconcerned simply carrying cash in my cargo shorts pockets (plenty of room).

Best distribution was the line rooms. People are not moving, easy to walk the line, little to no convention center staff, etc.

DJBreslin on
  • confractoconfracto Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    actually, I think the best distribution was standing outside the exhibition hall when it closed for the day on saturday. That was a LOT of people all at once.

confracto on
    edited June 2009
    Slifter wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, count me in for baking and distribution. Out of curiosity about how many cookies did people sell on each day and at what price? I'd like to know roughly how much to make and what to charge.

We don't "charge" a specific amount, and we don't "sell" cookies either. We exchange cookies for donations. As little as $0.25, as much as $20 were to be had last year. You distribute as many or as few cookies per day as you want to. I think i did about 200 per day.

For more, read this: http://groups.google.com/group/cookiebrigade/browse_thread/thread/b0b1804268513f59

chibidani on
  • woodsmnwoodsmn Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I would very much like to bake cookies even though its my first PAX. I'm taking a few classes and learning some pretty crazy cool stuff that I think would go over well. How exactly do I sign up for this?

woodsmn on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    This thread has been dead for over a month. The new thread is here
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=96276

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.