As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - PA Guild on Flamehammer!

• Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So after realizing that my Station Pass pays for this game I figured I might as well get it. And I'm a sucker for collector's editions so I spent way too much on that. But it has a cloth map, woo!

Started a darkie necro named Sindarin on Flamehammer, but there are some bugs that make that class damn near unplayable, at least solo. Pet aggro that works when it wants to, pets vanishing when chunking or evacing... plus, the dark elf starting area is a pain in the ass. So I started a wood elf ranger, name's Zavijah, and I like the class so far. At 55 diplomacy now too, that's a damn fun minigame with some nice rewards (already got a 12 slot bag and 8 or 9 silver from it).

Servers are down right now for a hotfix, but I'll look for you guys when they come back up.

Either Loras or myself *Quelin* should be on for a guild invite.

Stupid servers need to not be down. Apparently the servers are going to be down at least another hour. So much for 30 minutes of downtime.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Servers are back up, only because they screwed up on the last patch, the game has download a few of the files it missed and than do a complete scan and reconstruct of all the important game files, mines estimating 20mins for it and it's been at it for at least 10.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh sure make me take an hour to dl some stupid patch, and we need to get a gorup going stat! named overland monsters to kill i mean come on ! lol should be in game shortly

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited March 2007
    ok, boys and girls look like saturday to monday is double xp weekend again, so lets be prepaird and have a couple spots to work things over . Also quelin seems they did a hotfix this morning and have fixed a few things. I found out were almost the perfect level for that vampire area too wich is NE of misthaven,, we got the pita we foudn and like when we are all on so lets keep an eye out for more dungeans to explore :) ne ways heres the announcment

Double – Double Kill Experience Weekend!

To put players right in the action of Game Update #1 and as a continued thanks to our community, we are giving players a second opportunity to receive double adventuring kill experience this weekend! (3/10/07-3/12/07)

Be ready to face new challenges and explore new lands as you dive into the depths of Game Update #1 and continue your adventures in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes!

The event is on all servers and corresponds with the daily restarts:

STARTS: Saturday, March 10th, 5:00am PST (Saturday, March 10th, 4:00am GMT for Europeans)

ENDS: Monday, March 12th, 5:00am PST (Monday, March 12th, 4:00am GMT for Europeans)

See you in Telon,

- The Vanguard Team

and of course everyone is pissed right ? lol

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Going back to normal exp was brutal even on my lowbie character.
    That said, while I'm looking forward to MORE double exp....how am I supposed to be productive and get anything done these days? Damn you Sigil =p

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    cuellarcuellar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So is virtually everyone on Thestra? I found that I really wanted to go Qalia... either Kurashasa dread night, Morbedi cleric (or dark elf), or Kurashasa Psionist. Anyone have a recommendation for a new char during the trial? I figured a melee type probably would beeasiest to get in and experience the game.

Other option would be Vulmane warrior or something for trial. (If anyone has an extra key, I'd appreciate being able to use one - a friend sent me one, but it didn't work for some reason, so I'm SOL)

Copy 'n pasted from another board regarding downloading the client for trials:

http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

Follow that huge mess of a link, and you'll find where you can download the .cab files (legally) to install it. Don't need a key for that, either, but you WILL of course need it to sign on and play. It's around 6.6 GB total though, after getting all five files, so yeah it will take a long time.

cuellar on
    "Fuck newbies. They deserve it for not being high enough level to fight back." - TDL
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    yeah, for the most part if you want to group with the guild u gotta go thestra. But if you just feel like seeing qualia then just do what you gotta do. I like both to be honest with u. so just hav fun.

Draeven on

• Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nothing makes me angrier than logging in to see "Flamehammer is down. Waiting for it to come back up."

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mantis23 wrote: »
    Nothing makes me angrier than logging in to see "Flamehammer is down. Waiting for it to come back up."

At least the server going down stopped me from crafting.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    hahahah, well this shall be ineresting non the less.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    cairn worth hall is screwed no way to bust that first room with out running out and getting them stuck on geometry. i'll have to remeber to petion that as is.
    so double xp is starting out like last, dieing alot lol anyways i should be on after work tonight around 10 30 cst or so . Lets get some grouping going on then.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    cairn worth hall is screwed no way to bust that first room with out running out and getting them stuck on geometry. i'll have to remeber to petion that as is.
    so double xp is starting out like last, dieing alot lol anyways i should be on after work tonight around 10 30 cst or so . Lets get some grouping going on then.

That dungeon is all sorts of odd. Why they put the hardest pull of the dungeon as the first room is beyond me.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i think its just too many mobs in one spot ok, we need to roll hillbury manor tonight, lvl 21 to 23 3 to 4 dot mobs saw about 6 drops in the 45 mins i was there. and its nice and spread out , so u only have to do 2 to 3 mob pulls if that.
    so as per my other post ill be on around 1030 11 cst so midnight for you guys rolling eastern.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    first off, damn you people getting double xp while I'm stuck here at work.

Hillsburry could work...it all depends on how crowded it is. If last weekend was any indication, It'd be best to stay off the beaten path this weekend. Trengors Keep was INSANE, there was so many people the xp was horrible because there was nothing to kill. If Hillsburry is packed we can try Landsview castle or the Coastal graveyard...I think there may be a dungeon at the very bottom. if you've ever gone all the way north to the ocean there is a path going down to where there are a bunch of sunken ships and whatnot....I believe the mobs on the path were 23-24 3-4 dots..

either way I'll be home around 9:30 eastern. I'm sure most of you will be on tonight so we should really get a group or two going.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mantis - I actually came to post on how surprised I am that I have only seen ONE person login today.

dachish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    dachish wrote: »
    Mantis - I actually came to post on how surprised I am that I have only seen ONE person login today.

well, I'm pretty sure most of us are evening people anyways. although if there was ever a time to log on during the day, this weekend would be it.

I am off tomorrow so I'll be on for a good amount of time during the day.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    no the manor was empty today when i was there, just me and the group i was with anyways logging ins

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    oh sure sure no one needs to reply i see

Draeven on

• Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This sucks.

Now that training has started back up the free time I have to play is even less. I'm going to see if I can log in for a bit this evening, but I still need to clean up around here too. bleh...

Tal on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are there any official discussion forums for this game? I can only find some support forums off of SOE's site and nothing off Vanguard's main site.

djklay on
  • Options
    TanasTanas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I figured I'd pop in and ask a couple of questions. I've been looking for something more complex than WoW, and thought about heading back to EvE. Then I remembered playing this while it was in beta and enjoying it quite a bit. Is it honestly fun enough to justify me running out and dropping 50 bucks on it? I dig group oriented content more than solo stuff, and I guess this game has alot of that. Also I dig the races and the scale of the place, but just have doubts as to whether or not it's fun in the long term.

Tanas on
    Men are not potatoes.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    check silkyvenom they seem to have a ton of dev posts on a weekly basis, easist place to look. and as always most forums have a ton of people bitching about the game, so try and take what they say with a grain of salt.

Were having a ball tanas, when we get a guild group going we usualy always do well, with a few set backs but for t he most part we have fun. i'm enjoying it and have what we call mmo add so anyways check it out if you got the cash.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    djklay wrote: »
    Are there any official discussion forums for this game? I can only find some support forums off of SOE's site and nothing off Vanguard's main site.

www.vanguardspheres.com

Official site for the test server, but also contains forums.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't think I can handle another double exp weekend.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    well went ld gonna say screw it and go turn in that quest tomorrow , should ding me 24 at least. kids sleepy see u guys on the flip side.only problem is i went ld with bard speed im prolly in bfe by now lol.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Tanas wrote: »
    I figured I'd pop in and ask a couple of questions. I've been looking for something more complex than WoW, and thought about heading back to EvE. Then I remembered playing this while it was in beta and enjoying it quite a bit. Is it honestly fun enough to justify me running out and dropping 50 bucks on it? I dig group oriented content more than solo stuff, and I guess this game has alot of that. Also I dig the races and the scale of the place, but just have doubts as to whether or not it's fun in the long term.

well, to me? Yes. 100% yes. I've had an absolute BLAST with this game. more fun than I have had with an MMO in a long time. I would reccomend picking it up and giving one of us a shout to get you in the PA guild. it's double the fun when you can group with these crazy bastards.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mantis23 wrote: »
    well, to me? Yes. 100% yes. I've had an absolute BLAST with this game. more fun than I have had with an MMO in a long time. I would reccomend picking it up and giving one of us a shout to get you in the PA guild. it's double the fun when you can group with these crazy bastards.

I try to check out most of the bigger, and some smaller, mmorpgs. This is by far the most fun I have had in this genre since EQ pre SoL.

Oh, and I'm off tomorrow so hopefully we can get some groupage going on tonight. I really, really, really don't want to go to TK. However, I want to finsh the quest line and get that damn cape. Conundrum!

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm with char and mantis. This game has the depth and complexity that I miss in other games and, let me tell you, I try them *all*. It's a sickness.
    The bugs and performance issues can get tedious, but there's been an obvious improvement already since release and I've no doubt they'll keep focusing on improving the issues.

dachish on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm installing this game right now.

All I can say between the novel of patch notes, the length at which this java client is scanning my files, and the 17GB client size, all I can say is

:O

I hope it's good. Some of, many of, the game elements remind of Star Wars Galaxies, except all the part where SWG sucks.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    right on man just let us know when your up and running and we will get u in game.

Draeven on

• Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was thinking about buying this game. I've been reading Fires of Heaven, and I see a lot of constant bickering and hating on this game, so I'm not really sure what to do.

My DSL should be here tomorrow, or the next day, so I'll be able to download it (hopefully) and try out a buddy key someone gave me.

Is the game improving a lot? That's what I'm worried about. I really don't want this game to become another dead MMO. :/

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Eteric wrote: »
    I was thinking about buying this game. I've been reading Fires of Heaven, and I see a lot of constant bickering and hating on this game, so I'm not really sure what to do.

My DSL should be here tomorrow, or the next day, so I'll be able to download it (hopefully) and try out a buddy key someone gave me.

Is the game improving a lot? That's what I'm worried about. I really don't want this game to become another dead MMO. :/

well they patch 1-2 times a week, fixing bugs and optimizing everything they can. The game is much smoother than release but obvioudly not as smooth as say an eq2 thats been out for years.

content wise, its got quite a bit of content and they are always adding in more. right now most of the content is sub 35ish....they are adding more in evry patch though.

as I said before, we've been having a blast with the game. I personally have had nothing but a good expierience with it...

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I eventually got it installed last night, played for a solid two hours...

I'm already sold on the combat. I played a Disciple and I was pleased with the Jin system as opposed to traditional straight up mana based healing... if similar stuff exists for every class then, yeah, wow, awesome job on that.

I'll be back tonight.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    yeah jas, each class plays differntly then u would think, bards actualy compose songs where they can layer differnt effects together into one song making one "super" song instead of twisting like eq. I know the longer rangers fight a mob the more "accurate" their attacks get, Blood mages use thier own blood / the mobs your fighting blood or something like that to heal the party. etc, each class is a little bit differnt.

Draeven on

• Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the perfect counterpoint to Eve for me. I get my PvP and/or world altering fix from Eve and my PvE and/or fantasy theme from Vanguard.

So far Eve seems deeper and more complex overall, but Vanguard is easilly the deepest PvE centric MMO I've played, and I've played most. Vanguard gives me that same kick EQ did back when it first came out, which is pretty scary.

I'm quite happy running both subscriptions for a while and playing whichever suits my mood.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EQDuffy wrote: »
    This is the perfect counterpoint to Eve for me. I get my PvP and/or world altering fix from Eve and my PvE and/or fantasy theme from Vanguard.

So far Eve seems deeper and more complex overall, but Vanguard is easilly the deepest PvE centric MMO I've played, and I've played most. Vanguard gives me that same kick EQ did back when it first came out, which is pretty scary.

I'm quite happy running both subscriptions for a while and playing whichever suits my mood.

Cheers!

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Played a good chunk of time last night and I believe I am sold.

I don't know where people are pulling the "WoW clone" reference from, the game has very little, if anything in common with WoW from gameplay to look and feel.

One of the best things about the game to me, as a former SWG fanatic is that you can tell that Sony lended them a reasonable chunk of the SWG code base to get the product out the door, as well as a few of the better design elements. A hardcore SWG player will recognize many quirks that they share in terms of the feel of the game.

Crafting was influenced by SWG big time (SWG still has one of the best crafting systems). In Vanguard they cut out all of the tedious automated-over-time resource harvesting and focused on the "Experimentation" phase as it was called in SWG, where you apply your characters skill modifiers to the actual product to make it better. But they did it in a far more creative fashion. Multi-phase crafting and the "Complication" element seals the deal, even for someone like me who doens't expressely enjoy crafting.

--

Combat is great. It's slightly slower than say, Warcraft, while soloing, but it is four times more depthful. Most of that I think would go towards the class design.

As a Disciple I'm using mostly my Endurance pool to heal, but when things get sticky or I'm in a party I can also use my huge energy pool in addition to serve as main healer... that's just awesome, it makes the Disciple class specifically a very potent one.

At this point I would be reccomending this game to anyone who wants a little more out of their MMO than just a 60 level grind session followed by lengthy progression. At this point it seems like Vanguard as plenty of content between character creation and the cap, making the leveling process less of a rush and more of a true character building experience. The only actual negative press I have seen on it was by a guy who basically admitted he didn't even try to learn the game in the same review.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I don't know where people are pulling the "WoW clone" reference from, the game has very little, if anything in common with WoW from gameplay to look and feel.

Besides almost the entire interface and quest system, it's way different than WoW.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    http://www.silkyvenom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7051

bunch of maps of thestra and qualia, i think we should head south to vol tuneal and start killing lizarmen so i can get my faction up with the sleeping moon place. just a thought

and good to see you like the game. Jas

Draeven on