As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this enough power? (PSU)

CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
So I have this Dell Inspiron that needs a power supply to be functioning. I'm going to upgrade it to 4GB RAM and also this video card. The power supply available from Dell is a 300 watt unit. Basically I'm only going to use this computer for watching videos on my tv, so basically just for watching .mkv files in 720 and 1080. That should be enough power shouldn't it?

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
Crashtard on

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What's in your computer now?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea, we need to know the processor type, the type and number of hard drives and optical drives, as well as whether there's any extra add on cards (wifi cards, sound cards, etc).

slash000 on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It'll be fine. I have a Core i7 quad core, 6gb of ram, 3hdd, a better video card and it all runs off a 380W power supply just fine. Too many people think they need 5,6, or 700W power supplies when you clearly do not. If you were going 2 or 3 video card, overclocking, multiple hard drives, etc then you need to do some math, until that point 300W will handle most anything.

travathian on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Actually the wattage of a PSU isn't that descriptive of how powerful it is. Really, you want to know how many amps it can put out over the 12V rails (i.e. how much power it can put out to the Motherboard and the video card.

My impression is that Dells rating are pretty conservative and since you are getting a card that doesn't even need PCI-E power connectors I'd guess you would be fine.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If the system needs a new PSU anyways - which is what it sounds like - you can probably get a quality 3rd-party unit for the same/less money than the Dell 300W, and have more options available down the line as well as a quieter/cooler unit.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sorry for the late reply, crazy work day. It's running an Athlon X2 processor, which I'm not going to change. Only has one hard drive, and I'm not planning on adding another since it's just going to play videos anyway. No sound card, and I'm adding the video card I linked for HDMI support. It's also going to have 4GB RAM.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If the system needs a new PSU anyways - which is what it sounds like - you can probably get a quality 3rd-party unit for the same/less money than the Dell 300W, and have more options available down the line as well as a quieter/cooler unit.

Do you know where I can get something like this? I tried googling a bit, but I couldn't really find anything because of the stupid way Dell makes their PSU's rectangle shaped.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »

Do you know where I can get something like this? I tried googling a bit, but I couldn't really find anything because of the stupid way Dell makes their PSU's rectangle shaped.

All PSUs are rectangle shaped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Crashtard wrote: »

All PSUs are rectangle shaped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

Woah, not all power supplies will fit in OEM cases.

OP, what is the model number of your computer? Inspiron __________

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the Athlon X2 thing + link to a low-profile video card makes me think he's rocking an Inspiron 531s or something similarly SFF.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's definitely a 531s. I guess by rectangle shaped I mean the funny oblong PSU that the slim cases use.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From the images I saw of a Dell Inspiron 531 is appears not to be a micro or slim case.

So I might make the suggestion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182159

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From the images I saw of a Dell Inspiron 531 is appears not to be a micro or slim case.

So I might make the suggestion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182159

Rosewill does not have a very good reputation, mainly because they have relatively weak 12v rails and are made cheaply, failing more easily and often than quality brands. For that kind of money you can get a 350-400 watt antec, corsair, or seasonic (all quality brands), assuming you do in fact have a case that fits a standard sized power supply.

imperial6 on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    imperial6 wrote: »

Rosewill does not have a very good reputation, mainly because they have relatively weak 12v rails and are made cheaply, failing more easily and often than quality brands. For that kind of money you can get a 350-400 watt antec, corsair, or seasonic (all quality brands), assuming you do in fact have a case that fits a standard sized power supply.

I did not know that. Thanks.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

The 531s is a slim case. A regular PSU won't fit.

OP, it looks like your only option is a PSU from Dell...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It definitely doesn't fit a regularly shaped PSU, or I would have just grabbed one and been done with it. It's definitely a slim case, and the PSU is probably 4"x4"x8" or some stupid size like that. I need to take it out tonight and measure it.

Better yet, here is a picture.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It might just fit a TFX form factor power supply whether you buy it from Dell or not. So measure some dimensions and then shop around - you may be able to find one for cheaper.

300 Watts is going to be more than enough power to run that system with that card.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's what I figured, it's not like it's going to be doing much. Thanks for the measuring tip, I'll try that out tonight.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Have any of you had any experience with refurb PSU's? TFX had a new PSU that I could make fit in the case, but it's something like $65 for a 270w unit. I can get a refurb 300w from Dell for $35. Is that a bad idea?

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How long is the warranty on the refurb? $65 is a lot for even a high quality sub 300W PSU.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I dunno. The refurb is only 34$ from Dell, which is more the price I'm leaning toward since it's not going to be running constantly anyway. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg