As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Posters (The Non Human Kind)

mullymully Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
Okay well, it's "posteR" right now, I haven't started the others quite yet. And I needed a thread anyway, I'm going to be doing a lot of crap in these upcoming weeks, so.

poolandfoosball.png

CRITS PLEASE. What works, what doesn't? I am new to this.

(edit: oops, caught a typo already. NO REFUN indeed. If you fun once, you can't fun again!)

mully on

• Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not really liking the gradient on BILLIARDS and FOOSBALL. Solid yellow, I think, would look better. Might just be me, though

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In the ultimate irony, I though the specific "non human kind" of posters implied the people who used forums

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    anyone else in agreement that i should ditch the title gradient?

or is there anything else neat i could do to it?

(i keep looking at text effect stuff on photoshop tutorial sites..)

mully on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I have something I can't quite formulate in human-speak. Lemme take a moment to work on what I'm thinking...

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If it is something you need to talk-out, I am available on MSN

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't mean "I need to have a good cry over it" I mean, "It's hard to explain so lemme just do a mock up of what I'm thinking!"

• Options
    edited June 2009
    oh, okay, cool

here's something else i did (a long time ago) ... just as an ad for our intranet site

soccee.png

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    jeansandicecreamdayjune26.png

here's another one i did for an event that just passed

(the event went totally awesomely, and i got lots of compliments on the poster. which .. doesnt mean much, theyre insurance people. but i still like compliments!)

except that i learned that the "bar" is actually the "entertainment room" and that we shouldnt be "selling" we should be "giving away free ice cream for a minimum donation of 2 dollars" because it takes liability off of us

(thus the huge small-text crap in the first poster i posted)

mully on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you have too many competing elements. You need something to draw the audience in, and a call to action. So for say the top one, I would make the billiard elements large at the top and use those to point to the dates, which I would make larger. Gah, this stuff is really hard to explain when you're not in the same room. I feel like the pool cue is pointing the viewer right off the page when you could be using that to point to the date. I would make the title bigger on the ice cream one. That and the date are the two most important things.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thats always my problem
    i know what i want in terms of graphics and text and the information i need
    i know what info should be big and what should be small
    i just never know .. where to put them for a maximum effect. :<

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    poolandfoosball2.png

is this any better?

what do i do with the empty spot .. random ball?

i want the prices to be different than the "balls" because i know people will get confused at the difference in price unless its really clear

im also trying to ignore my incredible urge to put a border on EVERYTHING EVER

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So this is regarding the original version you posted: It's got a lot of great elements of classic Russian poster design--which instantly makes me think of it--but they aren't totally coalesced yet.

Mind you, this is quick and dirty, but with all of the opposing angles you have going on if I were you I'd just take the final leap and take it wholly towards the Soviet/Propaganda/Russian design sense.
    mullmockup.png

Also mind you, this mock up has problems of its own, but being the originator of all the info you know needs to go in there, I figure you can balance those design element issues a little more thoughtfully than I did.

Anyhow, we can go have that good cry now.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    ONCE YOU FUN YOU CAN NOT FUN AGAIN!

i like it and i don't like it

it's better than my first one, that is for damn sure, but i am not a fan of the "split" down the diagonal -- it makes me feel, since the title does not go across it, that it is an afterthought.

Is it wise to have the unattractive text (the stuff about DONT USE YOUR EXPENSE ACCOUNTS and FREE APPETIZERS ARENT UNLIMITED, FATTY) so ...readable and right up there? Above location, even?

(I am critiquing yours to help myself understand, I don't necessarily disagree with what you've done here.)

Also you are kidding about the no refunds being that big, right? I might just be one of those bastards that wants to make things like that legible, but nearly invisible, in hopes that people WONT read it, will give us their money, try to back out, then we profit, because they can't follow tiny instructions.

mully on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That angled variation is a more pleasing design to look at. The original one is just too top and bottom heavy with a lot of nothin in between.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That angled variation is a more pleasing design to look at. The original one is just too top and bottom heavy with a lot of nothin in between.

Okay. I personally don't like angles like that, but if it's more pleasing to everyone else, I guess I shouldn't argue.

I like top + bottom heavy designs :<

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes, a lot of that is tongue-in-cheek, but especially the NO REFUN part.

The diagonal did not start out directly bisecting it as it does now--oops. It shouldn't evenly bisect the piece, but the intention was always to have the title butt up against it, like so.

It's really hard to find genuine examples anymore, since more of the internet if flooded with posters relating to the recent 2008 election, but the above are a couple of contemporary designs that sort of evoke what I'm saying.

As far as where to place the fine print info, I think it's kind of dubious to make it as small and as hidden as possible. It's info. It's important, it should be placed somewhere a person can read it.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well you certainly could still fix your original design, if everything wasn't so smooshy on the bottom I think that would help a lot. Also, maybe try putting a little shadow on the table from the balls so that the look like they're on the table and not just floating.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    poolandfoosball3.png

?

i am super hesitant to remove the small print from being .. small print. it saps all the fun out of the thing - even if it is information, and kind of important, the asterisks in the main body should let people know to look for it -- and it's like a size 10! that is so readable and out of the way of destroying the fun.

what if i put it up the side or something?

it's basically turning into a disclaimer for us :S

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    :^: That looks great!

And I think the fine print is fine where it is, honestly. Just change it's color so it's legible and I see that as a pretty solid design.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    and the gradient is okay on the title? not too cheesey? maybe i'll flip it a bit and see how it looks solid.. hmm -- edit: i cant even tell you why, but without the gradient it looks "wonky". since i'm critting myself i can use that word.

THANKS MARS YOU ARE THE BEST

i hope you will also help me when im doing the baking one D:

mully on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [edit] Oh damn, you just changed it to use the space better.

I would say the billiards poster has way too much empty space. There's literally a horizontal strip of 1/5th of the poster which has no text in it. If you cut it out, people probably wouldn't mind. I would make all the words bigger, the title smaller, and/or put it on a landscape layout to optimize use of space.

Mars' layout uses the space more, but about 1/5th of it is still just empty space off to the side. Coming from three years of literary magazine layout, I've always thought it was best to distribute all elements on a piece of paper evenly. Huge empty areas are a waste of space and paper.

In terms of posters, I've never been bothered by something being "crowded." Like, what does that have to do with a poster? That's like saying a page in a book is crowded with words. They're words, they can be read when they're close together. For instance:

billiardz.jpg

This reads just as well for me. Now I'm not saying this looks better (the entire design has been shredded apart), but my point is, all the same content is there in almost half the amount of space. If you're making huge posters, then you're probably wasting paper, because unless you have pictures or graphics, there is no reason to make a poster for "billiards night" bigger than 8.5x11. If you're being commissioned to do these, I guess that's not your fault, and ultimately it doesn't really matter, but I guess I'm just trying to make my point of "Wow, that's a lot of empty space" sound like I actually have a reason for saying that rather than an empty comment.

The ice cream pants one distributes the content better.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mully wrote: »
    and the gradient is okay on the title? not too cheesey? maybe i'll flip it a bit and see how it looks solid.. hmm -- edit: i cant even tell you why, but without the gradient it looks "wonky". since i'm critting myself i can use that word.

THANKS MARS YOU ARE THE BEST

i hope you will also help me when im doing the baking one D:

I don't see a problem with the gradient. I'd even go so far as to say it's an example of how gradients should be used.

Also, I can be repaid in free meals or appetizers*.

[tiny]I don't care of they are in limited quantity.[/tiny]

• Options
    edited June 2009
    I like crowding, personally, but my issue was that the poster is to be printable on 8.5x11, so it was either make everything huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge, or leave a bit of space.

you guys would be terrified to see the kind of thing i would create if i were just making something for myself.

edit: Mars when you come to visit us (and you'd better *fist shake* i will remember this and treat you to some radical vancouver appetizers.)

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Score!

• Options
    edited June 2009
    i have to make another poster for uh .. well, tomorrow. guess i'll get to that.

easier, i think.

mully on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like crowding, personally, but my issue was that the poster is to be printable on 8.5x11, so it was either make everything huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge, or leave a bit of space.
    Huh...well, I got the impression it was being printed on like 17x11 or whatever the next size up is. If that's going on letter size, I think you could make things more huge. I'm trying to see it in my head, and I think I can imagine a flier on a wall with much bigger content than you have there. In terms of "posters," 8.5x11 is small and more difficult to notice.

I don't know, I could be wrong. I'd like to see what you make on your own time to compare to this. It might actually not be that scary.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    These are basically PDF email fliers, and to be printed if whoever-deems-it-so on 8.5x11 in colour to be put on bulletin boards.

Aaaaand here's this.

canadadayicecreamJUNE30.png

Bomb turned around and said, "that looks just like a propaganda poster" and to be honest i really had no idea what that meant specifically, so i looked it up -- and uh. yeah. so it does.

probably changing that bottom text to black... so it'll be easier to read.

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    poolandfoosball3.png

?

i am super hesitant to remove the small print from being .. small print. it saps all the fun out of the thing - even if it is information, and kind of important, the asterisks in the main body should let people know to look for it -- and it's like a size 10! that is so readable and out of the way of destroying the fun.

what if i put it up the side or something?

it's basically turning into a disclaimer for us :S

This looks way better!

As far as the poster you just posted, I would leave a little more space at the top. Drop the title down just a bit at least. Some purposeful white space will make it easier to jump into the poster's headline.

Edit: A couple of hints: Look at your poster at a much smaller preview size to see what elements jump out and what the focal point is. Also think about ease of digestment. This version of the billiards poster is very easy to grab the important information on. Good job! Keep practicing!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    purposeful white space? what is it about the white space that makes your eye move more directly to the title?

(I agree and i've changed it, just curious if there's a science to this or some kind of mathematical formula)

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not the best at explaining, but a really good book to pick up would be:

The Elements of Graphic Design by Alex White. It's only like $25 msrp. It's a really good book.

As far as the text being too close to the top of the Canada poster, just remember that white space can be purposeful and add quality. That it can draw the reader to the important elements. And remember that people (at least in the english language) read top to bottom, left to right. That can help you avoid putting elements in dead zones.

EDIT: Think of white space as a pathway for the reader.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What's that texture you've used on the sun rays pattern in both of those posters?

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    as for the billiards and jeans and ice cream ones, I'm always turned off by logos for advertisers and whatnot sticking out like a sore thumb. If you're restricted to using that plum color for their logo, you might want to work some of it into the rest of the piece.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i see what you mean - though the soho colour is close to the colour of the bottom sticks handle. i was sort of hoping that just keeping it with a bunch of other "warm" colours would work out alright

also, the texture iiiiiiis.. a paper texture. let me see if i can find it.

edit: i can't find it. but i have it on my harddrive!

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you get a chance sometime, could you send it to me?

Also, I don't know why I didn't realize this like six hours ago, but the part of the fine print that reads "Contact Adam blah blah blah", that seems to me like it should be larger and more pronounced somewhere.

It seems like important info.

Other than that, I stand by my earlier statement of "Solid Design™"

• Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Billiards one improved drastically over the course of this thread, which is nice to see.

The Happy Canada Day one is nice and simple, but looks like you have some problematic kerning (the space between the characters; how the letters sit next to each other) on the bottom text. I'd increase the spacing a touch to make it easier to read.

But basically this is decent stuff -- the main things to remember with poster design are, prioritise the information based on getting the viewer's attention/importance; and stick with one or two typefaces and limit your colour pallette to keep things consistant and cohesive.

Many people seem to fail at these simple yet important elements but you're doing well, so that's good!

Grenn on
  • Options
    ozone24ozone24 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Grenn is absolutely right i agree with the kerning statement he made its just a little to cluttered, spread it out a bit and give readers a chance to "breath" while they read. The Billiards ad was good I liked the final, and on the ice cream one real nice start. One more thing, and this might be just me, but turn down the transparency on the white glow around the icream when I was looking at it I got so got up in its outer glow I forgot there was a ice cream bar in the middle of it, does anyone else agree?

ozone24 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]