As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What websites would you guys recommend for someone looking to buy a gaming PC?

CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
My PC died yesterday. It was an ancient thing and it's been a long time coming (it's been making unsettling noises for a while now), but darned if it wasn't like losing an old friend. However, life goes on and I need to get a replacement, and I was hoping to get something that'd make for a good gaming PC to take its place.

I understand that walking into a Best Buy and buying something off the shelf is probably a poor use of money - I know I'd get more bang for my buck building a machine. However, I can't just buy the parts and piece it together - I have no experience with building machines, and as much as everyone insists that building a PC is super-easy, I'd really rather have it built for me. I'm just not comfortable with doing it myself.

Having said that, my question to you guys is, what websites do you recommend for someone looking to buy a custom-built gaming rig? I'm looking for value and not power (I'm not spending over $1,000), and would like a website that's trustworthy, reliable, and offers good deals. Who would you guys recommend?

sigv2a.gif
CaspianX on

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't used it myself because I'm on a different continent, but I hear Newegg is good.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NewEgg is pretty much your best bet. I've bought so much crap off there. Holiday time - they have THE MOST RIDICULOUS DEALS EVER.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If money isn't an issue Falcon Northwest will put together the Ferrari of machines for you

Robman on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I haven't used it myself because I'm on a different continent, but I hear Newegg is good.

Do Newegg actually put the machine together for you though? I thought they just did parts?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They might just do parts actually. Although, it's great if you're making updates. If you want to waste your money, Alienware is overhyped.

I dunno, the cheapest way is really to build your own. And seriously, the worst part is installing windows.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just don't forget to put the brass screws into the chassis to seat your mobo on 8-)

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Just don't forget to put the brass screws into the chassis to seat your mobo on 8-)

This sounds like the statement of experience.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

Do Newegg actually put the machine together for you though? I thought they just did parts?

I'm pretty sure there's an option for them to assemble and test the parts you order for like $50.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm... following through links on NewEgg, iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC both look promising. Has anyone here bought from them? Do they do good work? Are they reputable?

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    MarinocteMarinocte Healing with explosives Just as nature intended.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Surprised Tigerdirect.com was not mentioned yet. Then again I have not looked over newegg all that much.

Marinocte on
    Murkfase - Trooper, The Shadowlands.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Newegg + Assemble and Test option, I'd say.

Also, with a budget of $1000 you can get a fuckload of power in this day and age.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm gonna second Newegg and throw Mwave into the mix too. Like most people here, I'd recommend putting itogether yourself with the MB, Chip and Ram come assembled and tested, but if you're not comfortable putting a machine together or don't have a friend who'll do it for a 6-pack and pizza, they sell fully built machines.

I've dealt with both and used to build machines for money in College, these are the guys I bought from. Out of the dozen or so machines I built I got ONE bad motherboard, and they had a new one on it's way over-nighted to me before I had even sent back the old one. I think that was MWave, but NewEgg rocks just as much.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ncix.com has comparable prices to newegg (sometimes cheaper) and there is an option on checkout to assemble and test the machine for you.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used cyberpowerpc.com before and had a great experience.

Yall on
  • Options
    AccarisAccaris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not sure where you guys read that Newegg will assemble, because I found this little blurb on their FAQ:

"Will Newegg.com test parts or assemble a system using the components I purchase?

Sorry, Newegg.com does not build, assemble or test computer components."

CyberPowerPC builds gaming machines for $500 and up, but they apparently have a crappy reputation. Honestly unless you want to spend $1500+, your best bet is to find a computer techie friend to help you build and buy a machine with parts from Newegg, or just go ahead and buy a mid-range HP or Dell machine and drop a nice videocard in there.

Accaris on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're in Canada memoryexpress.com is pretty good.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz