As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Israeli Lobby and the Overuse of the Anti-Semite Card

15678911»

• Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    saggio wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    See, this is where I think your argument falls apart. You could easily level the same exact charge against the United States. We basically gained our territory by committing genocide against the Native Americans. Do you feel that the US should give up its claims to its lands and return them to their rightful owners?

There aren't too many Native Americans left. We could probably do that in part.

Yeah, not to defend the U.S.'s sordid history with the Native Americans, but at least we give them citizenship and full political/economic rights within the United States. Granted, Native Americans deserve more than what they've been given and they aren't an existential threat like the Israelis perceive the Palestinians, but they've definitely got more than the Palestinians could ever hope to get from Israel.

I just want to throw out this terrible factoid: South Africa's apartheid was based primarily on Canada's Indian Act.

How's that for national shame.

A fair amount of Zionist thought directly references Western treatment of indigenous peoples as justification of their treatment of Palestinians. Read The Iron Wall sometime, and be horrified.

This makes me weep.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yes, what Israel is doing is horrible. Not unheard of by any means, but horrible. What the U.S. is doing to help support what Israel is doing is a fucking tragedy.

And, do to on-going sacrifice of doing what's right for political expediency, I don't think this will ever change. See, you don't just have to wait for the boomers to die off... the fate of Israel has somehow been tied directly into the fate of Christianity by the fundamentalists... and those fuckers just won't die...

Aside: I loved Michael Chabon's take on this connection in The Yiddish Policeman's Union.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thorpe wrote: »
    Yes, what Israel is doing is horrible. Not unheard of by any means, but horrible. What the U.S. is doing to help support what Israel is doing is a fucking tragedy.

And, do to on-going sacrifice of doing what's right for political expediency, I don't think this will ever change. See, you don't just have to wait for the boomers to die off... the fate of Israel has somehow been tied directly into the fate of Christianity by the fundamentalists... and those fuckers just won't die...

Aside: I loved Michael Chabon's take on this connection in The Yiddish Policeman's Union.

Care to explain?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The death to Israel rhetoric they are always dealing with is bound to generate hatred for the Arab community. The Palestinians have also proven rather "difficult" to negotiate with, and what they do get from Israel often just produces ridiculous demands and the same amount of aggression as before.
    Yeah, I know, they have such unreasonable demands, like "food," "water," "sovereignty," and "some land."

It's fucking ridiculous.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thorpe wrote: »

Care to explain?
    Book spoilers, obviously
    Union takes place in an alternate universe where Jews fleeing the Holocaust were given asylum in Alaska. There was an Israeli state, but it collapsed quickly after being formed. America has also become even more fundamentalist and puritanical than it is today. The Jews are also being forced out of Alaska after living there for sixty years because the public is against it. The current presidential administration believes that the existence of an Israeli state is necessary to precede the End Times and Rapture, so they help sponsor an illegal attack by Jewish extremists to clear out and seize the Holy Land. Its a conspiracy that's at the heart of the entire novel.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The death to Israel rhetoric they are always dealing with is bound to generate hatred for the Arab community. The Palestinians have also proven rather "difficult" to negotiate with, and what they do get from Israel often just produces ridiculous demands and the same amount of aggression as before.
    Yeah, I know, they have such unreasonable demands, like "food," "water," "sovereignty," and "some land."

It's fucking ridiculous.

I wonder how the inevitable negotiations with Hamas will go. Unless things change a lot I really can't see any kind of reasonable (for both sides obviously) agreement made as they were pretty much elected on the basis of being the guys who want to fuck Israel as much as possible and similarly netanyahu's government was elected on the basis of being harsher towards the palestinians. I doubt either of these political entities will reach a good agreement because it is in neither of their interests to have populations that are happy and ambivalent towards each other.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's fucking ridiculous.

Not to mention the ridiculous entitlement complex that leads to "stop bombing us please"

Starcross on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

It's fucking ridiculous.

Not to mention the ridiculous entitlement complex that leads to "stop bombing us please"

Vicious cycle to be honest. While Hamas are in control Israel will refuse to believe the Palestinian government will do such a thing as disarming and stopping terrorist cells from running. So Israel will refuse to give any such supplies. So Palestine will continue to build up arms. So Israel will bomb them back to the stone age a bit. So Palestine will demand aid. So Israel will demand disarmanent.

Blah blah blah it goes on and on and on until Sharon rises from his coma and declares he's seen God and he wants a nuclear war.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »

It's fucking ridiculous.

Vicious cycle to be honest. While Hamas are in control Israel will refuse to believe the Palestinian government will do such a thing as disarming and stopping terrorist cells from running. So Israel will refuse to give any such supplies. So Palestine will continue to build up arms. So Israel will bomb them back to the stone age a bit. So Palestine will demand aid. So Israel will demand disarmanent.

Blah blah blah it goes on and on and on until Sharon rises from his coma and declares he's seen God and he wants a nuclear war.

No, it's not a vicious cycle. One side is unwilling to acknowledge that their conduct is helping fuel matters.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »

It's fucking ridiculous.

No, it's not a vicious cycle. One side is unwilling to acknowledge that their conduct is helping fuel matters.

Yeah Hamas is a bitch like that.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Both sides are unwilling to acknowledge their own shitty policies. The goverment of Israel is no better then Hamas on this.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can't we just resolve that everyone who posts in this thread is aware that shittiness exists on both sides, and agree to stop making constant appeals to equivalency?

Hachface on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Can't we just resolve that everyone who posts in this thread is aware that shittiness exists on both sides, and agree to stop making constant appeals to equivalency?

Hmm yeah maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle (learned that on South Park, brah).

Rust on