As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SO Crazy Stuff on my block tonight

• LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    when I lived with my mom we once had quality mother and son bonding time, My neighbours son went crazy and was threatening to shoot his dad, so my mom made some popcorn and we sat on the balcony and watched the policemen negotiate the issue with shotguns and what not, together, like a family.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    when I lived with my mom we once had quality mother and son bonding time, My neighbours son went crazy and was threatening to shoot his dad, so my mom made some popcorn and we sat on the balcony and watched the policemen negotiate the issue with shotguns and what not, together, like a family.

"now than deary, be careful not to get any of his brains on your shirt. It'll stain"

"yes mom"

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty sure the craziest thing that ever happened to me was that our house was robbed when I was like eight years old.

A robbery is not crazy, but the fact that he broke a window in the living room, came in, stole all of our valuable electronics, and got out, unnoticed, in the middle of the night while we were sleeping, is freaky.

He was in my room. He stole my SNES. There was a man in my room stealing my shit in the goddamn middle of the night. That shit still unnerves me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    A guy was beaten to death on my block last week.

I'm scared to shit.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I went to a friends last night and was out drinking with my buddies until about 3 AM, then woke up at his house at about 3 PM. Now I can't sleep and I need to be somewhere in less then 5 hours.

Bucketman on
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Update:

Okay, so here is what happened. Guy goes nuts, grabbed neighborhood kid, not his grandson. Police used tear gas and around midnight everything was calm and fine again.

FortyTwo on
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A guy was beaten to death on my block last week.

I'm scared to shit.

Dude. Where do you live?

FortyTwo on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What's going down on my block? Oh, I dunno, but I'm sure someone will see it.

Seriously, I knew we had cameras but I didn't realize that they were this pervasive. Nor did I realize they were being fucking staffed by any schmuck who walks in off the street.

I'm somewhere between really skeeved out and pretty pissed about this.

DrZiplock on
    edited June 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Seriously, I knew we had cameras but I didn't realize that they were this pervasive. Nor did I realize they were being fucked staffed by any schmuck who walks in off the street.

Keeping an eye on those Amish bastards

FortyTwo on
    edited June 2009
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Seriously, I knew we had cameras but I didn't realize that they were this pervasive. Nor did I realize they were being fucked staffed by any schmuck who walks in off the street.

There was that drive by pitchforking the other day that was pretty gruesome.

DrZiplock on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i have literally zero stories about my neighborhood

well, i guess there was this one time when one of my neighbors looked at me disapprovingly for using half of his parking space to change my car tires instead of taking the car to a shop...

Iskander on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My last apartment, i was walking to a bar and saw two dudes fucking one 'nother in the bushes.

Canada_jezus on
    edited June 2009

I heard they stuck the body in a butter churn, and then built a barn.

FortyTwo on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I rode in the cabin of a train. That was fun. Bought suspenders and a crazy little electronic box that makes sounds.

RichardTauber on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, I live 15 minutes outside of Lancaster. My wife works in Lancaster and I work just outside of it. We were thinking of moving into the city to save on gas. I don't want to live in one of the most heavily watched cities in the world.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2009

Yeah, I live 15 minutes outside of Lancaster. My wife works in Lancaster and I work just outside of it. We were thinking of moving into the city to save on gas. I don't want to live in one of the most heavily watched cities in the world.

It is weird that its Lancaster of all places. i mean, I understand New York, DC, London - major world cities or seats of governments. I understand Baltimore, with its crime problems - but Lancaster?

Really PA? REALLY?

FortyTwo on
    edited June 2009

It is weird that its Lancaster of all places. i mean, I understand New York, DC, London - major world cities or seats of governments. I understand Baltimore, with its crime problems - but Lancaster?

Really PA? REALLY?

I honestly don't mind them around the parks and stuff. I mean, sure, let them run to a bank of tapes that is doing recording and if something happens? Go to the video to get a "witness".

However, the part that is really bugging the hell out of me is that there are volunteers, random people from the street, who can sign up and then watch the streets live. The article makes mention of them zooming in on where they here a 911 call. It's not like these guys are really calling 911 all that much.

I live in pretty much the dead center of the city, so I'm surrounded by them I'm sure.

Time to start giving them the finger and writing lots of angry letters to people.

DrZiplock on
    edited June 2009

Really PA? REALLY?

I honestly don't mind them around the parks and stuff. I mean, sure, let them run to a bank of tapes that is doing recording and if something happens? Go to the video to get a "witness".

However, the part that is really bugging the hell out of me is that there are volunteers, random people from the street, who can sign up and then watch the streets live. The article makes mention of them zooming in on where they here a 911 call. It's not like these guys are really calling 911 all that much.

I live in pretty much the dead center of the city, so I'm surrounded by them I'm sure.

Time to start giving them the finger and writing lots of angry letters to people.

I get that. I honestly don't mind cameras. I know from Baltimore's experience that cameras are pretty 50/50 when it comes to "evidence" in a criminal trail. The will probably improve with technology, but still they are there primarily for psychological reasons.

Still though, Lancaster?

FortyTwo on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Seriously, I knew we had cameras but I didn't realize that they were this pervasive. Nor did I realize they were being fucking staffed by any schmuck who walks in off the street.

that's really creepy

Usagi on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They don't even need to be working cameras. Honesty through paranoia works pretty well.

Hunter on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Mask + black spray paint?

JoeUser on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd light the house on fire to see if he's really serious about dying and taking someone with him.

Ok, so I've been re-reading watchmen, does it show?

Meiz on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think I have much of a problem with the cameras (real or not) but this
    No state or federal law governs use of public cameras, so Morales is drafting ethical guidelines for the coalition's 10 staffers and dozen volunteers. Training has been "informal" until now, he said, but will be stiffened.

Morales said he tries to weed out voyeurs and anyone who might use the tapes for blackmail or other illegal activity.

that's a problem for me

Usagi on
    edited June 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    No state or federal law governs use of public cameras, so Morales is drafting ethical guidelines for the coalition's 10 staffers and dozen volunteers. Training has been "informal" until now, he said, but will be stiffened.

Morales said he tries to weed out voyeurs and anyone who might use the tapes for blackmail or other illegal activity.

that's a problem for me

I like the "try to weed out" like its out of their hands. Way to go.

FortyTwo on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I saved a baby bird yesterday.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited June 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

that's a problem for me

I like the "try to weed out" like its out of their hands. Way to go.

Exactly.

There are warning bells galore going off in my head. And yes, just putting up fake cameras will deter crime. It's the mere thought of it.

@JoeUser: Heh, it's a good thought. I figure a paintball gun would be better at reaching those that are higher up.

DrZiplock on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Really PA? REALLY?

I get that. I honestly don't mind cameras. I know from Baltimore's experience that cameras are pretty 50/50 when it comes to "evidence" in a criminal trail. The will probably improve with technology, but still they are there primarily for psychological reasons.

Still though, Lancaster?

Yeah if someone asked me to list towns/cityies/whatever in PA that should have camera's watching everyone's every move Lancaster wouldn't be anywhere on that list.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sorry shank, to lose friends that way would be absolutely awful

The Black Hunter on
    edited June 2009
    Reigner wrote: »

Really PA? REALLY?

Still though, Lancaster?

Yeah if someone asked me to list towns/cityies/whatever in PA that should have camera's watching everyone's every move Lancaster wouldn't be anywhere on that list.

Sections of Philly
    Pittsburgh
    York

DrZiplock on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah York was the first not-philly/pittsburg city I thought of.

Reigner on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah York was the first not-philly/pittsburg city I thought of.

It's a special place.

DrZiplock on
  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My Sunday was swell, but some toothless middle aged drunk from Texas was following us around and we ended up having to leave at least one bar because of him. I can tolerate that shit up to a certain point, but when he's getting touchy and offers me $200 to stay at my place (i.e., rent it), I am sort of like, "Well, time to go everyone."

Drew-B on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, quite possible the most dangerous city in Canada.

We had like 60 some homicides in 2007, and I think it was higher in 2008.

Ruckus on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    47616818.jpg

Caption: Crime Solved

Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    47616818.jpg

damn it PA

FortyTwo on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have been watching the first three seasons of The Wire for the past month and I will never ever ever set foot in Baltimore holy shit

Iskander on
    edited June 2009
    47616818.jpg

damn it PA

You guys should just all move down here with me in Chambersburg. It's nice and quiet here.

Reigner on
    edited June 2009
    Iskander wrote: »
    I have been watching the first three seasons of The Wire for the past month and I will never ever ever set foot in Baltimore holy shit

Yes because it is exactly like that everywhere.

And New York is full of pedophiles and rapists because of SVU. And Las Vegas is full of murderers and hot super-scientists because of CSI.

That is exactly how TV works, they don't embellish anything and everything is exactly like that at all times over every part of the city.

FortyTwo on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    47616818.jpg[IMG]Caption:[/img]Crime Solved

damn it PA

You guys should just all move down here with me in Chambersburg. It's nice and quiet here.

Chambersburg is where I end up if I accidentally forget to merge onto 476 on my way home from Scranton

its always embarrassing

Unknown User on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    47616818.jpg[IMG]Caption:[/img]Crime Solved

damn it PA

Chambersburg is where I end up if I accidentally forget to merge onto 476 on my way home from Scranton

its always embarrassing

Maybe you were just subconsciously trying to get out of the shithole that is Scranton.

Hunter on