As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

300 Movie thread (Also we talk about our hate for Keith)

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    wallhitter wrote: »
    The IMAX showing of 300 at the Metreon is sold out.

A moment of silence, please.

D:
    Hell, our only IMAX theater isn't even showing it :(

Eeesh.

Neither is ours. Because they don't show rated R movies at my IMAX.

Conclusion: I'm going to blow up their houses.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Same here, i am going up to NYC to see it. I'm probably an idiot.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I sat outside my theater for an hour last night thinking I had tickets to a sneak preview. My first clue that something was wrong came when they shut the theater down 30 minutes before midnight. I was at least consoled by the other poor schlubs who also showed up at the closed theater, clutching their tickets for the same showing.

When the damn ticket says "3/8/2007 12:01 AM", that means Thursday 3/8/07 at 12:01 AM, except in theater speak apparently, in which case it means Friday 3/9/07 at 12:01 AM.

I swear to god I'm going to find a teacher supply store, find a kindergarten book on how to tell time, circle every page in red, and mail it to the theater manager along with my ticket stub.

Peeps Chicken on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    New York Times has panned it. For what that's worth. Their reviewers are also not haughty artsy-fartsy types (well, not all of them), and A.O. Scott (the guy who did the review) likes well done action flicks.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2007
    Well, I sat outside my theater for an hour last night thinking I had tickets to a sneak preview. My first clue that something was wrong came when they shut the theater down 30 minutes before midnight. I was at least consoled by the other poor schlubs who also showed up at the closed theater, clutching their tickets for the same showing.

When the damn ticket says "3/8/2007 12:01 AM", that means Thursday 3/8/07 at 12:01 AM, except in theater speak apparently, in which case it means Friday 3/9/07 at 12:01 AM.

I swear to god I'm going to find a teacher supply store, find a kindergarten book on how to tell time, circle every page in red, and mail it to the theater manager along with my ticket stub.

you should staple it to his forehead. I'm pretty sure that was the idea with the 12:01 showing on thursday. It's released on friday, and 12:01am is the first available time slot on friday. MORANS

Briareos: fuck that dude. they don't call them critics because they like stuff.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    august wrote: »

"The Spartans are a super-human elite squad of lumberjack pirates who were trained by the the great-great-grandpa of Chuck Norris' paternal ancestor. A prologue explains that from the age of 7, Spartans are forged into die-hard dynamos of fury who can kill with their bare hands. It was either their forced sojourn into wilderness that makes them that way or that they played violent video games.

They battle the millions-strong army of the Persians, which includes wave after wave of easily disposed screaming maniacs, followed by black-hooded elite Delta Force Persians who are like zombies — gotta take their heads off or impale their hearts if you want 'em dead.

The Persians also trot out gimongous armored rhinos and war elephants that got kicked out of the zoo for being too big and angry."

Thanks for the link, that's some genuinely funny shit.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UapGEIMQtkw

Stop it at 1:52

you will see some shit, man

Sars_Boy on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UapGEIMQtkw

Stop it at 1:52

you will see some shit, man

Holy shit!
    That is who I think it is, right?
    Holy shit! ...that could be a terrible movie...
    but HOLY SHIT!

Accualt on
    edited March 2007

you should staple it to his forehead. I'm pretty sure that was the idea with the 12:01 showing on thursday. It's released on friday, and 12:01am is the first available time slot on friday. MORANS

Briareos: fuck that dude. they don't call them critics because they like stuff.

I've rarely disagreed with A.O. Wilson. He doesn't pan comic book movies because they are based on comics. He doesn't pan action movies because they aren't artsy. As I said, he does like action flicks, if they are well done.

I'm going to see 300 anyway, because I want to judge for myself. But based on all pre-opening raving I've seen, I was surprised to see it get a poor review in the Times.

EDIT:

rorschachfrom300trailer.jpg

1:52 in the extended trailer. I don't know how I got lucky enough to stop it right there, because it's a split second. Mr. Snyder is taunting us.

EDIT EDIT: OH HAY DER'S A HOLE TRHEAD ABOUT DIS. DUR DUR.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just got back.

It was pretty much just what I expected; awesome, and like watching a comic book in full, cinematic glory. It was basically the same sort of experience as Sin City.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited March 2007
    Agreed. Everyone I was with complained about the extra subplot with the wife. I feel it added little to the movie, but also didn't take much away. The fight scenes were perfect; like watching a comic book in motion.

There's also one particular shot of one of the spartans striking with a spear, and with the helmet and cape, he looked an awful lot like Batman. 'twas cool.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The movie was good. The main character is like a giant, brawny statue of a man carved from rocks and elephants other large heavy things.

skippydumptruck on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My main response to this movie: Holy shit Xerxes was huge. Also, great movie.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw the movie last night. Great fucking movie, and it actually surprised me in not being exactly what I thought it would be.
    That one long, continuous shot of Leonidas killing like fifteen guys in a row. Godamn, I could not believe that nailed all of that in one take.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There was alot of homoeroticism in that movie.

'WELL LETS GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DRINK', etc.

Ethan Smith on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Between this and your previously announced love for All-Star Batman & Robin, I am beginning to come to the conclusion that you are indeed retarded.

Edit: Ah, you meant DKR and DKSA by "All-Star" (not the same thing at all), and then you turned around and said you liked DKSA more. So, uh, still retarded.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just got back.

Awesome movie.

Furu on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »

Between this and your previously announced love for All-Star Batman & Robin, I am beginning to come to the conclusion that you are indeed retarded.

Edit: Ah, you meant DKR and DKSA by "All-Star" (not the same thing at all), and then you turned around and said you liked DKSA more. So, uh, still retarded.

DKSA had more badass moments, though I've read it more recently, and that was after reading, like, 5 Sin City's in a row.

So I might be a slight biased.

But, yeah, I wish that the Spartans wore armor.
    edit-I had awoken mere minutes before, and was a slight hung over.

Not too much to mess up judgement, but enough for me to not think that was me typing.

Man, I'm not making any sense.

Ethan Smith on
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Saw 300 and I have to say for what it was it was fucking great. Loved the violence and the nipples. I couldn't believe that was Rorschach at first but then when I learned it was just a stand-in actor until they cast someone I thought it was pretty cool. O yeah and I hate you Keith.

Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw some clips of the actions, and my first thought was.... Why are the Persian soldiers bunny hopping?

eaglearcher on
    edited March 2007
    Is there more Rorschach? I thought all we've seen so far was the one frame in that extended trailer. Don't tell me that it was after the credits, because I will be kicking myself hard for not staying.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    Is there more Rorschach? I thought all we've seen so far was the one frame in that extended trailer. Don't tell me that it was after the credits, because I will be kicking myself hard for not staying.

All we've seen of Rorschach was that one second from the extended trailer and plus it's just a stand-in actor in his costume until they actually cast someone.

Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw 300 Saturday and I was sort of underwhelmed.

If you're one of the three people who's yet to see it, 300 is an action movie, a loud, bloody, utterly vapid action movie. As such I have only two criteria for me to love it.

1. Something awsome should happen at least every 90 seconds.
    2. The movie should keep its damn mouth shut.

If I was judging only by 1, I'd give the movie 300 stars. Truly bat-shit, stompin-boy style crazy things happen at least every 40 seconds. It's out of control and insane and like some adolescent boy who has the power of illusion put the greatest power fantasy of all time on the screen.

Unfortunately the damn kid just can't shut up. Everytime I'd start to settle in and shut off my higher brain functions so I could properly enjoy the mayhem, something would happen to break the fourth wall and I'd be just a guy in the movie theatre again. These things happened at LEAST as often as something awsome so I spent most of the movie with a sort of a puzzled look on my face. here are some of the more agregious distractions.

1. Snow-so this must be the part of Greece thats in the fucking arctic.
    2. Pederasty--I seem to be the only one who's uncomfortable that the oracle is a. naked b. fourteen and c. frequently raped by lepers
    3. Queen Gorgo--Hi, I exist to have sex with people to demonstrate their manhood/villany. I serve no other meaningful purpose and could ably be played by a blow-up doll. My dialouge is written by 5th graders.
    4. Slow motion-- a great way to make your special effects obvious.
    5. Telegraphing--T minus 5 until a "hilarious" one liner.
    6. Modern references--Freedom isn't free.
    7. Racism-- hmm I wonder if the spartans will defeat this wave of racial stereotypes.
    8. Homophobia--Anchient greeks do not make homophobic comments. Ancient greeks are WHY modern men make homophobic comments.
    9-Voice over--HEY! DON'T FORGET YOU'RE WATCHING A MOVIE !!11one1
    10-Arena rock--I didn't know that Spartans marched to battle to the siren song of RUSH. Note to film makers: wailing guitars + slow motion walk = comedy.

I enjoyed the movie, but I had to work to enjoy it. If I'm really thinking about it and engaged many of the things I like in action movies seem really, really, stupid. It's ok to shake up and distract your audience if you want them wake up and think about what's happening. 300 is like a dream, it's beautiful when you're asleep, but seems really weird when you wake up and think critically about it.

"Ah ha Mr. Bitter!" you say "300 is a comic book movie, and many of your distractions are but homages to 300's original media."

"So what you're saying," I say, "is that comic book conventions make for a damn akward movie and everyone here would be better off just reading the comic book? That good comic book movies (eg. Spiderman) require such an elaborate reworking that they resemble the original form only in Scene and Characters? That we should all be filling our pants and biting our nails at the thought of a "faithfully adapted" watchmen movie?"

I think so.

Majidah on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Majidah wrote: »
    I
    8. Homophobia--Anchient greeks do not make homophobic comments. Ancient greeks are WHY modern men make homophobic comments.

I'm pretty sure Leonidas wasn't cracking a joke about the athenians being gay, just about them being pedophiles.

Mai-Kero on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    I don't get why it's suddenly terrible to mention the word "freedom" in movies or anywhere.

Or actually, I do, and I think it's stupid. Just because somebody co-opted the term doesn't make it retarded.

DJ Eebs on
  • MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I

I'm pretty sure Leonidas wasn't cracking a joke about the athenians being gay, just about them being pedophiles.

I was more so referring to the exchange on the battle field between the two spartans (who I assume have names, but I never really figured them out, sort of troublesome if you want me to identfiy with these characters), about "offering one's backside to the enemy."

In any case, I'm not Mr. Demands Historical Accuracy and hates Bad Boys 2. I just want my movies to keep the fourth wall structurally sound.

And there's miles of difference between "Freedom" or "We must fight for our freedom" or "Freedom is won by the spilling of free men's blood" and the line they settled on "Freedom isn't free." Which is a modern day catch phrase that in greek reads η ελευθερία δεν είναι ελεύθερη.

Majidah on
    edited March 2007
    I think leaving your ass open to be raped by the enemy would be considered bad no matter what gender they were.

DJ Eebs on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the voice over was the best spartan story teller giving his account of the fight so that reinforcements would be sent.

where is it stated that the oracle girl in the scene is 14?

Sparta for the most part did not like the rest of greece. not quite sure how you took leonidas calling the athenians boy touchers as homophobic.

there was about 3 centimeters of snow on the ground. not quite OMG ARCTIC WEATHER.

freedom isn't free. oh wow modern day bush references grrrrrr. book was written in 98.

Angry on
    edited March 2007
    freedom isn't free is on the goddamn korean war memorial in washington dc

which I'm pretty sure not only predates bush but is also kind of an obvious statement anyways

DJ Eebs on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hear it costs folks like you and me
    and if we don't all chip in
    We'll never pay that bill
    Freedom isn't free
    No, there's a hefty fuck'in fee.
    And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
    Who will?

Bloods End on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When the girl says "freedom is not free" in 300 I immediately thought

mmmmmmmmmmm buck 'o five...

Dex Dynamo on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw 300 last night and color me disappointed. I don't think it was a bad movie per se but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the quality of Sin City.

The flick sure looked pretty but I think that's about all it had going for it. I was so tired and jet lagged from GDC that I was actually falling asleep in certain parts. At times I also thought that the visuals seemed downright cheesy.

All in all I'd give it a 6/10
    Good:
    Visuals, and the way gore was handled

Bad:
    Characterization, pacing, and story.

edit: also bad, the fucking narrator.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • kmckmc Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    i felt the same way. i was entertained, but... i understand that it was taken from the graphic novel, so i guess that means that i just wouldn't like the graphic novel very much if i read it. i absolutely loved sin city, and i just can't say the same for 300.

kmc on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

If you're one of the three people who's yet to see it, 300 is an action movie, a loud, bloody, utterly vapid action movie. As such I have only two criteria for me to love it.

If I was judging only by 1, I'd give the movie 300 stars. Truly bat-shit, stompin-boy style crazy things happen at least every 40 seconds. It's out of control and insane and like some adolescent boy who has the power of illusion put the greatest power fantasy of all time on the screen.

Unfortunately the damn kid just can't shut up. Everytime I'd start to settle in and shut off my higher brain functions so I could properly enjoy the mayhem, something would happen to break the fourth wall and I'd be just a guy in the movie theatre again. These things happened at LEAST as often as something awsome so I spent most of the movie with a sort of a puzzled look on my face. here are some of the more agregious distractions.

2. Pederasty--I seem to be the only one who's uncomfortable that the oracle is a. naked b. fourteen and c. frequently raped by lepers
    3. Queen Gorgo--Hi, I exist to have sex with people to demonstrate their manhood/villany. I serve no other meaningful purpose and could ably be played by a blow-up doll. My dialouge is written by 5th graders.
    7. Racism-- hmm I wonder if the spartans will defeat this wave of racial stereotypes.
    10-Arena rock--I didn't know that Spartans marched to battle to the siren song of RUSH. Note to film makers: wailing guitars + slow motion walk = comedy.

I enjoyed the movie, but I had to work to enjoy it. If I'm really thinking about it and engaged many of the things I like in action movies seem really, really, stupid. It's ok to shake up and distract your audience if you want them wake up and think about what's happening. 300 is like a dream, it's beautiful when you're asleep, but seems really weird when you wake up and think critically about it.

"Ah ha Mr. Bitter!" you say "300 is a comic book movie, and many of your distractions are but homages to 300's original media."

"So what you're saying," I say, "is that comic book conventions make for a damn akward movie and everyone here would be better off just reading the comic book? That good comic book movies (eg. Spiderman) require such an elaborate reworking that they resemble the original form only in Scene and Characters? That we should all be filling our pants and biting our nails at the thought of a "faithfully adapted" watchmen movie?"

I think so.

I disagree.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think so.

I disagree.

Well played, sir.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2007
    BLAH BLAH BLAH

I disagree.

i would like to buy your rock.

1. Snow-It snows in the goddamn mountains retard. also, greece has winter
    2. Pederasty--considering people didn't live that long back then, 14 was a great age to start bonin.
    3. Queen Gorgo--Man, shut up. she was bad ass.
    4. Slow motion-- I DON'T AGREE WITH STYLE SO I WILL CALL IT STUPID
    5. Telegraphing--huh?? I remember like 2 one liners. Considering it was a somewhat accurate portrayal of a historical event, yeah there weren't too many surprises. OMG so predictable! The spartans are going to kill a bunch of people and then die!!! LAME
    6. Modern references--uh, somebody else refuted this better than me.
    7. Racism-- PERSIANS LOOK LIKE PERSIANS?? YOU FUCKING RACIST
    8. Homophobia-- 1 Gay joke=/= homophobia as a theme in a movie.
    9-Voice over--NARRATION, Hey that doesn't EVER happen in movies!!!
    10-Arena rock--Man....just shut up.

I didn't think the movie was perfect or anything, but it was damn good. And i think it was better than just some brainless action movie.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw this last night and I think I ruined it for myself (mostly) because I watched too many trailers for it. I have never read the comic "300" but I bet that this movie did a great job of taking the feel of the comic and putting it on the screen, much like Sin City did.

That being said, the dialouge was predictable/cheesy(I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the lines in this movie were taken directly from the comic,which is fine) as was the plot (ya ya we all knew what the ending was going in but that's not what I mean).

I also feel that this movie almost stole certain scenes/ideas from the following movies: LOTRs(battle scenes),Braveheart(the story) and to a lesser extent Gladiator.

Caveman Paws on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It just wasn't a great movie. It was a good movie, but not a great one. I think I'd give it around a 6/10 ie: just slightly above average. I think if they would have put a bit more characterization in it I would have liked it a lot more. Instead they tried to go almost completely visual, with the characters being nothing more than stand-ins to add interest to the moving "photos" with varying degrees of importance based on who they are (Leonides, Old man friend dude, Old man friend dude's son, eyepatch man, hunchback, etc).

Also I thought they were trying so hard to be visual that some scenes were downright cheesy (ie: the Oracle, and the ship scenes).

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Saying this movie is racist is just like saying King Kong was racist. Nobody is saying that the persian empire was actually a bunch of heathen monsters. This movie is anything but realistic.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought it was awesome.

It's not meant to be a deep, historical examination of the Spartan culture, or the battle itself. The comic was a visceral, over-the-top portrayal of something that is commonly accepted as already-over-the-top.

I actually thought the inclusion of the Queen's storyline and plea to the senate were unnecessary. Also, too much slow-mo... The one-on-one stuff was great in slow-motion, but the scenes where the Spartans were clashing and meleeing with the Persians could have been played at regular speed.

Aside from that, though, I thought it was a kickass movie. I like that they used Leonidas's almost anachronistic mode of speaking, and I thought the music was good for adding to the pumped-up factor.

Vargas Prime on