As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic 06-29-09

• BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Automata didn't win.

Figures.

BlackDove on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    So Automata didn't win.

Figures.
    It's really quite amazing how they can say, ON THE FRONT PAGE, that both comics essentially won and you still complain that Automata lost.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They both won. Gabe and Tycho are doing Automata, and strangers are doing Lookouts. In fact you could say Automata truly won as they're being done by the guys with the idea.

Anyway, I know there's a forum in the beta, but its mostly for constructive things, and I just think it 100% sucks.

Goose! on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    So Automata didn't win.

Figures.
    It's really quite amazing how they can say, ON THE FRONT PAGE, that both comics essentially won and you still complain that Automata lost.

Especially the fact the Automata is coming out first with Lookouts following it.

Hunter on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Damage Over Time attacks and Damager Per Second, if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct.

and are sad.

DoT and DPS are concepts that have been around far longer then WoW. These games are based on math. Regardless of the fancy interfaces and how cool your little avatar looks, it's still all about numbers.

Hunter on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love this comic.

Fuga on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    God, Gabe and Tycho just made lookouts win because they like it more.

Penny Arcade? More like Penny Ahmadinejad.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AllHailShakeAllHailShake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That actually just confuses me more. Read in the context of the comic, that doesn't really make sense. "Our damage per second will be crushed by damage over times,"?

Sorry I'm being prissy about this, I just want to understand it.
    So Automata didn't win.

Figures.

Especially the fact the Automata is coming out first with Lookouts following it.

Actually Lookouts starts this Wednesday.

AllHailShake on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CorpseRT wrote: »
    God, Gabe and Tycho just made lookouts win because they like it more.

Penny Arcade? More like Penny Ahmadinejad.

@petehoekstra

KalTorak on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

That actually just confuses me more. Read in the context of the comic, that doesn't really make sense. "Our damage per second will be crushed by damage over times,"?

Blue, yellow or red bars can't go down if green bar is gone

futility on
    edited June 2009
    allhail, just let it go
    you're grasping to understand something that relates to something you've never done and probably never will do
    it's a really simple concept but if you still don't get it it's not worth digging into any further

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

DPS literally stands for Damage Per Second, but in general usage it stands for character classes who specialize in dealing high amounts of damage quickly - Rogues, Mages, Warlocks, are the main ones IIRC.

So without the healer, the guild's Rogues/Mages/Warlocks who have low hitpoints will die to Damage Over Time attacks.

KalTorak on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    by 'our dps' he means guildmates who deal damage. they will be killed by the enemies' damage over time attacks since they won't have a main healer.

Fuga on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You are correct.

and are sad.

DoT and DPS are concepts that have been around far longer then WoW. These games are based on math. Regardless of the fancy interfaces and how cool your little avatar looks, it's still all about numbers.
    Really you can say that about almost any game. It's just MMOs have more followers willing to get into the nuts and bolts and put the gameplay into actual numerical terms. With WoW it's to such a degree that the devs have basically stopped even trying to mask the math. They put it in plain and straight english in patch notes.

Cilla Black on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    So Automata didn't win.

Figures.

Backwards

Lookouts starts Wednesday

Automata is during SDCC

Me Too! on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

So Automata didn't win.

Figures.

Actually Lookouts starts this Wednesday.

And Automata starts in a month

Quit bitching

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

DPS literally stands for Damage Per Second, but in general usage it stands for character classes who specialize in dealing high amounts of damage quickly - Rogues, Mages, Warlocks, are the main ones IIRC.

So without the healer, the guild's Rogues/Mages/Warlocks who have low hitpoints will die to Damage Over Time attacks.

Thank you for explaining it. I appreciate you being helpful as opposed to a giant dick *cough*DRUHIM*cough*.

AllHailShake on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

DPS and DoTs in mmos are also used as blanket terms. You say you need more DPS in a raid when there aren't enough damage dealers, and you say this boss is using a DoT when he's, well, using a DoT. It's really not any kind of stretch duder.

edit: late explanation, oh well.

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2009

Thank you for explaining it. I appreciate you being helpful as opposed to a giant dick *cough*DRUHIM*cough*.
    wow, it's apparently really easy to offend some people
    is the comic any funnier to you now that it's been explained? maybe it is, but I doubt it since humor generally loses its punch when it has to be explained

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man Tiny Kitten Teeth is always amazing to look at. I have high hopes for Lookouts.

Drool on
    edited June 2009

is the comic any funnier to you now that it's been explained? maybe it is, but I doubt it since humor generally loses its punch when it has to be explained

I tend to be offended when people talk to me like I'm an idiot.

Not really since that's not what was funny about the strip, but it never hurts to learn something new.

AllHailShake on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dru you such a dick

Abracadaniel on
  • MathildaMathilda Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Not really since that's not what was funny about the strip, but it never hurts to learn something new.
    Y'know, that wasn't even a terribly dickish post coming from Dru.

Mathilda on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am imagining Kiko's lines in the voice of cotton-ball stuffed Dom DeLuise, it makes this comic ever better

Usagi on
    edited June 2009

I certainly don't think you're an idiot because you don't know terms from MMPORGs. I just didn't see how the info would make the strip any funnier and my comment reflects that. We misunderstood each other, you chose to assume it was an attack on your intelligence. We both goofed. I am not your enemy, let it go.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited June 2009

I certainly don't think you're an idiot because you don't know terms from MMPORGs. I just didn't see how the info would make the strip any funnier and my comment reflects that. We misunderstood each other, you chose to assume it was an attack on your intelligence. We both goofed. I am not your enemy, let it go.

Very well.

Nice to meet you, by the way.

AllHailShake on
    edited June 2009
    cool, welcome to the forums
    sorry for the rough start 8-)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cool, welcome to the forums
    sorry for the rough start 8-)

no you're not

you're not at all

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2009
    pip, fucking drop it you faggot

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i would argue that not knowing what those things mean would make the comic funnier

Faricazy on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i could have probably got an undergrad degree with the brain space i spent learning mmo facts

Kovak on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When the pimp's in the crib ma
    Drop it like it doesn't belong in this thread

Yes, Fari. I agree. I think Gabe and Tycho do too, which is why when it's not WoW they usually relish in using new terms to make it funnier.

The Mass Effect comic, for example.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i would argue that you are wrong

fag

Clint Eastwood on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I haven't played WoW in about 3 years but I didn't think druids could be main healers in high level raids... Either things have changed or Gabe is one amazing dr00d.

I was also of the "off off DPS" variety. I mean I was good at listening and following directions (hey don't knock it - it's a skill far too few WoW kiddies posess...) but anything more than "click on enemy, click KILL button" was too complicated/confusing/boring to me. Basically if I can't play my WoW guy and drink beer with the TV on in the background I coudn't be arsed to do it....

jwalk on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

calm down princess it was sarcasm, hence the itallics

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

calm down princess it was sarcasm, hence the itallics
    this is not the thread for us to flirt in dear

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to assume this comic is based on the true story of when Kiko slapped Gabe and yelled at him to act like a man.

Then he mocked him with fake crying.

KalTorak on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I Like the strip. I'm more excited about the bottom of the newspost though. New D&D podcasts! Whooo.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I thought this comic was quite comical

no clue why I did that

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    Yeah I thought this comic was quite comical

no clue why I did that

...because you're some sort of new comic thread war criminal?

So, DPS is how hard the standard fighters hit per second, like measuring speed in MPH and DOT is related to status type attacks like setting a dude on fire?

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.