As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hi! Billy Mays Tribute Thread Here!

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This fucking sucks.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was genuinely shocked when I heard about this. With MJ it wasn't a huge surprise, and I didn't care too much either way about him, but Billy Mays... Billy was a daily part of my life! I can't even imagine never seeing another Billy Mays commercial. Last time I was this affected was when Steve Irwin died..

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Dammit! :( Billy Mays was cool. He actually seemed like he liked the products he was selling, and just wanted you to like them too. Meanwhile, Shamwow guy insults me and punches hookers.

I suppose I am just not one for this new generation of infomercial marketers...

I posted a story the Washington Post did on Billy Mays a few pages back, it's pretty fascinating. At one point he says he refuses to sell anything that he wouldn't use himself. At some point they are at his house and it was indeed filled with products he either sells or was thinking of selling. He was so good at what he did because he really believed what he was pitching. He wasn't some jackass making a fool of himself for a cheap laugh (*ahem* Vince). He had integrity and really cared about selling good products at a super low price.

One thing I found interesting from watching Pitchmen is how adamant he is about keeping prices at $19.99 or lower. He was really concerned with giving people a lot for their money, and making a profit through volume. I always thought of infomercials as selling crap to the gullible, but he seemed to really stand behind the products he lent his name to.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Dammit! :( Billy Mays was cool. He actually seemed like he liked the products he was selling, and just wanted you to like them too. Meanwhile, Shamwow guy insults me and punches hookers.

I suppose I am just not one for this new generation of infomercial marketers...

I posted a story the Washington Post did on Billy Mays a few pages back, it's pretty fascinating. At one point he says he refuses to sell anything that he wouldn't use himself. At some point they are at his house and it was indeed filled with products he either sells or was thinking of selling. He was so good at what he did because he really believed what he was pitching. He wasn't some jackass making a fool of himself for a cheap laugh (*ahem* Vince). He had integrity and really cared about selling good products at a super low price.

One thing I found interesting from watching Pitchmen is how adamant he is about keeping prices at $19.99 or lower. He was really concerned with giving people a lot for their money, and making a profit through volume. I always thought of infomercials as selling crap to the gullible, but he seemed to really stand behind the products he lent his name to.

.... :cry::cry::cry:

You will be missed, Billy...You will be missed!

yalborap on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was too young for Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon to have affected me, and I frankly didn't like Michael Jackson...

But Billy. :(

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man - this bothered me just as much as MJ, on a different level. MJ was sickly, so it was always semi-suspected that he'd pass before his time. Billy seemed to be getting more and more fame (I just found out about Pitchmen through him being on the Tonight Show) and its shocking because he seemed like SUCH a genuine, nice guy. I'm really sad.

I'm sure Billy would have a good laugh at this - so here it is. Billy Mays, Rock Band vocalist supreme. They should just run this as a Rock Band commercial, because obviously Billy could sell that too.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqdZ4t1cft4

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Did someone just play Billy Mays audio into the RB microphone and it owned the song?

JustinSane07 on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    1246216232078.jpg

ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU

Fixed.
    (keikaku is Japanese for plan)

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder what Telebrands will do with the commercials that Billy shot before his death. For example, on his show, it followed Billy making commercials for Mighty-Putty Wood and Mighty-Shine that I'm pretty sure haven't aired yet (at least I haven't seen them).

I mean, it seems kind of tasteless to air them now, but at the same time, the Mighty-Putty Wood commercial had to have cost a ton.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    I wonder what Telebrands will do with the commercials that Billy shot before his death. For example, on his show, it followed Billy making commercials for Mighty-Putty Wood and Mighty-Shine that I'm pretty sure haven't aired yet (at least I haven't seen them).

I mean, it seems kind of tasteless to air them now, but at the same time, the Mighty-Putty Wood commercial had to have cost a ton.

New voiceovers, re-use any shots he's not in?

yalborap on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "HI, I'm Billy Mays. Coming to you from beyond the grave! Here is my good friend Vincent Price."

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

New voiceovers, re-use any shots he's not in?

I don't see how it would be tasteless. That's just like saying it's tasteless to play MJ's songs now that he's dead. It was his job, and it's the reason people know who he is. If anything, it will bring in more money because people will be tuning in to see the last Billy Mays product. Sounds silly I know, but pop culture is stupid like that.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I been kinda waiting for that Shamwow guy to die I mean that dude is on something. Billy Mays though, that's too bad, he was an entertaining dude.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did someone just play Billy Mays audio into the RB microphone and it owned the song?

Yes. Taking the 'talkies are broken' to the extreme.

But way more awesome because they actually put the effort into making Billy Mays IN the game.

And when it activates overdrives and echo's his sales pitches it transcends all time and space with awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

That's gotta be like the best person to have come through your job.

Henroid on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I saw several of his commercials today, so I don't know if they'll get rid of them.

What really sucks about this is that now we'll NEVER get the epic Super Bowl Shill-Off between Shamwow Vince and Billy Mays.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not Billy...not Billy...

GIVE HIM BACK!:cry:

He was a good salesman. And I don't mean skilled, just good. He liked what he sold and wanted everyone else to like it with him, that's all. :cry:

What a way to die. Just feels so WRONG. I mean, he goes to bed, says he doesn't feel well, lays down, and doesn't wake up. And his poor 3 year old daughter. I saw her on Pitchmen and now I vision her crying. "Where are you going daddy?" in that little voice. Aw shit, why does this depress me so? :(

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    So, um, who's gonna sell off the body parts on TV?

Please don't let it be the shamwow guy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Between this and Natasha Richardson's death, the lesson that NEEDS to be learned by everyone is this: If you get a head injury, GET THAT SHIT CHECKED OUT ASAP.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

"You'll love his nuts!"

Mr Pink on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »

"You'll love his nuts!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfdoLBni4zA

Jokerman on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Between this and Natasha Richardson's death, the lesson that NEEDS to be learned by everyone is this: If you get a head injury, GET THAT SHIT CHECKED OUT ASAP.

Yes.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Hi, Billy Mays herw ith another fantastic product. It's time to reach up high and reach up low... ALL THE WAY TO HEAVEN!!"

I miss you man. :( RIP

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know we all hate CAD, but they have a pretty decent comic up for Billy Mays. Made me smile.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Oh my god. It's 3 panels and one doesn't have text.

And it's not his copy-paste art! That means Buckley actually drew something!

It took Billy Mays dieing for Buckley to actually draw!

JustinSane07 on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well fuck me sideways in the goat ass.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You know what this means.

More celebrities must be killed.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Mr Pink wrote: »

"You'll love his nuts!"

[URL=-snip-[/URL]

You're gonna love his nuts.. you're gonna love his nuts..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited June 2009

You know what this means.

More celebrities must be killed.

Or just Buckley...

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are only three shots of Billy, 1 and 3 are nearly identical, 2 is close but still different.
    He also forgot to rhyme all the time.

News flash: Buckley still sucks.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    suspicious

1246218337678.png

Fatty McBeardo on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the ShamWoW guy really that bad (I kind of like his character) or are we all just poking fun at the rivalry of the two most prevalent salesman?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Is the ShamWoW guy really that bad (I kind of like his character) or are we all just poking fun at the rivalry of the two most prevalent salesman?

Well, he did get arrested for beating up/getting beat up by a hooker...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Well, he did get arrested for beating up/getting beat up by a hooker...

I mean, but who hasn't, really?

Mr Pink on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well, in that he is the total antithesis of everything Billy Mays was . . . yes. You can tell that Shamwow Vince is making fun of the premise of infomercials. Some of his lines are just ridiculous ("It's made in Germany, so you know it's good!") Parodies of the Shamwow commercials are so prevalent because it's already a parody itself of infomercials. I think that Billy Mays was a little defensive and thought that Vince was making fun of Billy and his peers.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, Billy Mays sold things by being direct and plain spoken but loud. He was kind of like a large drunken uncle who is boisterous in a friendly way.

Shamwow guy not only oozes slimeball but somehow manages to be mildy creepy as well. He's like a hollywood caricature of a used car salesman who also might rape you given a chance.

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2009
    I like Vince. I think he's good. Billy Mays is obviously better, but Vince has his own special charm that I enjoy. Just my personal opinion and I can understand why people wouldn't like him.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Am I the only one who thought Mays was incredibly annoying in those commercials?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I feel for his family, and I'm sure he was a very nice guy non-professionally, but my God I'm sick of those ads.
    Yeah. I always thought his one-tone scream voice was incredibly annoying.

B..but.. it was the good kind of annoying. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    JustinSane07 on