As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XI: March 2007 Update (Holy fuck, Square listened! Square listened!)

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, updating takes freaking forever. That's why I was hoping I could do it now when my account isn't active.

It like downloads the files individually or something instead of compressing them; I'm assuming this is due to the PS2 not having any real OS or compatible compression software with the PC, and I just made that up. Wild guess. Then it goes through every single file individually when applying the patch. Applying takes longer than downloading.

When/if I do reup my subscription I'll probably leave it to update one day when I go to campus for class on my home computer, then do my laptop when it's done and finished on this pc.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait wait...applying takes longer than downloading? So if it's gonna take 2+ hours to download only are we talking another 3 or 4 for applying?

Damn.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Well, in SE's defense, my copy of FFXI is the release one way back when it first was released in the US; and CoP is the same. So when I do it it's like doing it from square one, it's like downloading the entire game over again (which, btw, would be nice if you could just download the latest version) for me.

Since your version is relatively more recent, hopefully it won't take as long. I never timed how long it took total for one machine, I usually just set it to update and go watch a movie or something.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    ugh...I keep getting "Network Connection problems" even though my internet is fine. I guess it's hiccuping for half a nanosecond and screwing it up. Each time that happens though it has to rescan everything which takes 10 minutes in and of itself.

I'm actually starting to lean towards Galka Monk, but I don't really know what subjob I'd pick up after that. Maybe WHM for heals, though I wouldn't really have the INT for it.

Probably should just go Hume whatever so I'll have flexibility down the line when it comes to picking a subjob. Anything but Elvaan (or Mithra, after that one time in WoW...I just can't play female characters anymore) since my last character was Elvaan and I started to hate their town.

edit:

More and more I read about Dragoon the more I want to do it. I've been reading FFXIclopedia's guide to it and it seems like there's other viable sub's for it other than warrior. I'm thinking Red Mage or White Mage. My only concern with White Mage is that solo 1-10, though I'm sure I'd have no problems finding groups once I got to the dunes so that could be a plus. Any advice on this?

edit2: I didn't realize red mage is a "jack of all trades" and not strictly damage. That makes it more attractive to me so I'll probably go Hume Red Mage, sub it at 20 and do the quest for Dragoon.

edit3: er...30 I guess, that appears to be the soonest I can get the dragoon quest. Oh well. Hopefully RDM is fun.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Regarding the "WAR is the only good THF subjob" comment, I have to disagree. I've seen plenty of THF/NINs and they do perfectly fine.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Regarding the "WAR is the only good THF subjob" comment, I have to disagree. I've seen plenty of THF/NINs and they do perfectly fine.

They were saying it's the only basic job that you should sub. I kind've disagree with that, though, as using Hand-to-hand weapons with a Monk sub will do you well until 30.

Xhero on
    edited March 2007
    Well this is a drag.

I can't update the game. I get Error Code: POL-1162 every time it starts downloading. Then I have to wait 25 minutes for it to verify everything again before downloading, then before it even finishes downloading the first file on it's list the error comes up.

Tried about 3 times, same deal every time.

I searched around on Google and I see people posting that they're having this problem in multiple forums but nobody ever answers them.

: /

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    It might be quicker to just uninstall it completely and then reinstall it. That might help.

Sucks.

And about the THF/x stuff, yeah, I meant basic; obviously there's great subs outside of /WAR, but I also said that someone who is more experienced with the game would be able to advise better.

I try to chose subs that I think I might want to play later as a main. That's just me.

Also, did you go to the playonline site and check what the error code means? There's a list somewhere.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    I couldn't find any list. I typed "POL-1162" which is the exact error code as shown into their search and it came up with no results which seems kind of bogus.

I typed in network problems and it gave me the typical mumbo-jumbo-not-actually-gonna-help spiel. You know "Make sure your internet connection is functional" and crap like that, if it wasn't functional how would I be reading the support website?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Hmm...try to do a search for ports required by Playonline and FFXI for your router and also any information on ports that need to be opened through XP's firewall (assuming you have SP2 and are using XP).

You might need to open some stuff up on both. I seem to recall needing to open ports on my router last time I played.

EDIT: Hmm...also seeing several people mention updating their mobo drivers. I can't say why this would help, unless their LAN is on the mobo and they didn't make the connection.

EDIT2: stupid question, is your anti-virus turned off? I know all games recommend you do this, and it hardly ever makes a difference, so I never turn mine off when installing things, but you might give it a shot.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    This just doesn't make any sense though (the router, port, firewall) issues. I downloaded about half the files and THEN got this error. So it was working totally fine for at least an hour.

edit:

I do use the NIC built in to my mobo but it's totally up to date. I have another old network card in my computer (very solid Netgear card back when Netgear wasn't shit) that I use for hooking my xbox. I could swap them. I'll try after this next attempt, scanning at the moment. I adjusted my TCP Receive Window (was a tad high) and restarted. All my other TCP settings were fine. I'll find out in about 15 minutes if that made a difference.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Not necessarily. There's various reasons that your router or even windows could be making your connection sporadic, and that could effect the downloads. You might be running into a bigger file and over the course of trying to download it the constant interruptions by something could make the file fail or be corrupted and Playonline doesn't know what to do with it.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    You could also try the webchat:
    https://secure.playonline.com/supportus/index.html
    but I dunno their hours.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    They closed at 6pm PST. I wish it had said that before I typed my whole problem into the little box.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I dunno. Short of ports/anti-virus/drivers/reinstall entirely, the only other "guess" I can find on the web is that the 116x codes seem to apply to network congestion on their side and that you might just wait till the morning. Isn't right now like prime-time in japan for playing?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    Ugh...failed again. Interestingly at about the same spot, I remember the last one was 80 something and this was 84%. The files not that big, it took like 3 seconds to get there.

I don't mind working through problems like this, when I have to wait 38 minutes between attempts I get frustrated. I started it again at 12:00.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    are you just reloading POL or uninstalling/reinstalling?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    Just reloading. I plugged my cable coming from the router into the Netgear card instead of my onboard NIC. If that doesn't work then I'm gonna reinstall.

Where are the update files stored? In POL or FFXI? Instead of reinstalling entirely maybe I should just delete all the files it's downloaded and start it again.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure how it does the updates and where it puts the files.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    Problem fixed, WOO!!!

I guess it was that damned on board NIC. Back to the update grind.

I decided I'm gonna go Hume RDM to 30, then sub it and take up DRG as my main. Having a wyvern and wielding polearms is just too good to pass up.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I'm thinking if I come back I'd rather do the WHM/BLM thing again instead of the melee route. Maybe I'll wait till I have some cash or the collection and start a new account with a taru, which I like infinitely better than elvaan, and just renew this account for a month to get my gil.

Starting over from scratch again though. :(

Who knows.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    Hooray more problems. Man, SE is lucky I really want to play this game because they've got me jumping through hoops to get to it.

Updates finished, then it sits at "Retrieving Server Information" for a few minutes and then gives me some kind of timeout error with the error code FFXI-3113.

Gonna try resetting my cable modem and router.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    They have been having some kind of technical issues for the last day or two. Not sure if it is related though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited March 2007
    I found some instructions on a forum for fixing problems after FFXI launches. Fixed it right up. I had to go into my router and give it the MAC address of the network card on my computer. Servers loaded instantly after that.

I'm Draconis on Asura, Hume RDM. Somebody send me a tell or something.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    [Trying to pick a race...]
    The only truly noticable differences between the races are HP and MP. Sure, if you're a real powergamer the Strength of an Elvaan melee will outshine a Tarutaru melee, but it'll only be noticable if you parse battle results (calculating the overall percentage of damage each party member contributed) and even then barely so. There is also enough equipment and food available to overcome each race's weakness.

Unless you want a massive HP pool, or a massive MP pool, I would simply pick the race that appeals to you visually.
    I'm actually starting to lean towards Galka Monk, but I don't really know what subjob I'd pick up after that. Maybe WHM for heals, though I wouldn't really have the INT for it.
    INT is used in calculating damage/resistance for Black Magic, not White Magic. MND is tied to White Magic. That said, your subjob choices for Monk are simply thus: Warrior from lv1-75. You are a damage dealer and, in some party setups, a good backup tank. Berserk, Warcry, 5% chance to Double Attack and Provoke outdo every other possible subjob for your given role in a party. There are some other choices for the endgame, such as Ninja for avoiding AoE skills on some endgame monsters, White Mage for boosting MND (Chi Blast against the real endgame monsters) and Dragoon for a Haste setup (Jump and High Jump are extra attack rounds initiated at your whim, and /DRG have access to a +5% Haste earring at lv30). But those are strictly lv75 only. If you want freedom of subjob, don't pick Monk. It's MNK/WAR or no parties for you.

Also, don't pick Monk because for 99% of the game it involves little more than switching on auto-attack and using Weapon Skills every minute or so.
    More and more I read about Dragoon the more I want to do it. I've been reading FFXIclopedia's guide to it and it seems like there's other viable sub's for it other than warrior. I'm thinking Red Mage or White Mage. My only concern with White Mage is that solo 1-10, though I'm sure I'd have no problems finding groups once I got to the dunes so that could be a plus. Any advice on this?
    First, your White Mage question: WHM is possibly the easiest job to level up to around 15 solo. At those levels, everyone gets hit for just about the same damage, and a WHM with a staff will kill Easy Prey monsters in three or four swings. WHM has access to cures, and MP restores faster than HP, so that's less downtime.

Dragoon: The Red Mages of melee. Well, not quite as diverse as Red Mages, but at least playing Dragoon in a party past lv40 won't make your brain explode. In a traditional party, you'll want to sub Warrior. You're a damage dealer, so Berserk/Double Attack is ludicrously powerful. Because Dragoon can shed Enmity with High Jump and Super Jump, after lv35 you will often be asked to be a "first Provoke". This means you sub Warrior and be the first party member to Provoke in a fight. When you do this, a party member will stack Sneak Attack with Trick Attack (guaranteed critical hit and Enmity transfer) will launch a powerful attack and pin the Enmity generated from that attack on the tank. Then, you High Jump/Super Jump and the tank will have the monster for the rest of the fight. Past level 70, Samurai is a viable subjob in situations where you are likely to take heavy damage. You lose Berserk and Double Attack, but gain Third Eye, which allows you to anticipate attacks and evade them. Some Dragoons sub Thief on occasion, but all the single-hit polearm weaponskills are utter shit, so I'd rather go for a subjob that boosts damage over time and use multi-hit skills, rather than sub Thief and use the shit polearm spike damage skills.

In very select party setups, you may be a healer. This entails subbing White Mage, Black Mage or Blue Mage and using your Wyvern's Healing Breath to heal party members. Whenever you cast a spell (any spell) and a party member is below a certain HP threshold, your Wyvern will cast a lovely, Enmity-free cure bomb on them. Because Healing Breath is triggered by any spell, Dragoons use 5MP triggers such as Poison, Power Attack or Foot Kick, which also cast in less than a second. This makes Dragoons the most MP-efficient healers in the game. Unfortunately, since party members must be significantly injured to trigger Healing Breath, this is a no-no except for select circumstances, such as boss fights, instanced dungeons, or endgame parties where a group of Dragoons and a Bard find a group of piercing-weak monsters and kick the shit out of everything.

The best main healer subjob is White Mage. Your Healing Breath trigger of choice is Dia, which casts in 1 second and costs 7MP. White Mage is particularly special because of a combination of WHM and DRG Job Abilities: Divine Seal (enhances next White Magic spell), Curaga II (large AoE heal) and Super Jump (moves Dragoon to bottom of targeted monster's Enmity list).

If you're a Dragoon, as with any damage dealer, you'll have to deal with waiting for parties or making your own. Dragoons are lucky because they are incredible soloers. Soloing works just like main healing: Wait for your HP to drop below a certain threshold, cast a spell, your Wyvern heals you. The best subjob for soloing is, bar none, Blue Mage. Blue Mages get a spell called Cocoon at lv8, which increases your Defense by +50% and is infinitely maintainable with even minor MP regeneration. This allows you to eat Attack food while still having around 30% more Defense than what you'd have eating Defense food.

That's Dragoon in a nutshell.

Edit: Having seen your post above (intending to be a full-time DRG/RDM), I must stress that you will not get any experience party invites as a DRG/RDM. Any party member that falls below your Healing Breath threshold against normal experience monsters is fucked. They'll die before your Healing Breath goes off.

Mumblyfish on
    edited March 2007
    Well great, I already started and got to level 4. Made a friend, guy took me all around, gave me some starting gil, got me started up with spells and such.

And now you're saying I'll never get a party invite as a DRG/RDM? Well fuck.

There's no way to switch to BLM or WHM at this point is there? I really don't want to make a new character.

Or I could just not go DRG...by the time I get to that point my perceptions of the game will probably have changed.

edit:

According to this guide http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Dragoon:_Solo/Duo_Guide_by_Maevedarkphoenix

DRG/RDM and DRG/WHM have healing breath triggered at the same percent, 50%. And they both have Dia to trigger it. Sounded same-ish to me. What am I missing?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Drg/Red mage is good for soloing and duoing. It is a good class combo. However, its strengths do not compliment a party setup where everyone concentrates on much more specialized roles.

If you want to go Dragoon, by all means do so. It is a solid job. However, level up Warrior or Samurai for a subjob for when you are in a party.

On the note of Samurai as a subjob: Hasso is pretty nice. It give you some nice offensive bonuses while you are weilding 2 handed weapons, which you should be doing anyway as a Dragoon.

Edit: Healing breath triggers at 33% HP. You need a piece of the Dragoon AF up get it to trigger at 50%. In a party, if you get to 33% HP as a non-tank then the tanks in your party are already dead.

Cavat: Dragoons are capable of hitting the monsters hard enough to draw thier attention away from a tank if you are not careful. However, you should be trying to avoid doing this.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2007
    As with most jobs, Dragoons ought to have more than one support job levelled, especially as their role dramatically changes depending on the support job equipped. At a bare minimum, I'd say Warrior for partying and a Mage of your choice for soloing.
    There's no way to switch to BLM or WHM at this point is there? I really don't want to make a new character.
    You can switch main jobs and support jobs at any time. Just talk to your Moogle. One of FFXI's greatest strengths is that the only permanent aspects of your character are race and name.
    DRG/RDM and DRG/WHM have healing breath triggered at the same percent, 50%. And they both have Dia to trigger it. Sounded same-ish to me. What am I missing?
    Red Mage is better for soloing (though not even close to being in the same league as Blue Mage) due to Fast Casting and being able to use Poison and Bar-element spells for Healing Breath (they cast faster than Dia). White Mage is better for parties, due to support spells such as Erase, and Divine Seal + Curaga + Super Jump. As Bri said, Healing Breath trigger is 33% HP until lv60, hence why DRG/Mage is a poor choice for partying. At 33% HP, one strong special attack or a critical hit will level a tank.

Mumblyfish on
    edited March 2007
    Well I don't have BLM available since this is a new account.

It sounds like I should switch to War and level that to 30. I kind of wanted to avoid doing this because my last character was a war but if it means being able to get into parties once I'm a dragoon I can't turn a blind eye to that.

Thanks for all the help guys...and making me truly realize I know nothing about this game yet :D

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Gods have been confirmed to reside in Nyzul Isle Assault. Fafnir, Adamantoise and Behemoth have been spotted as bosses of Floor 20 (out of 100!).

img_0185.png

Behemoth and Adamantoise screenshots are also floating around, but I've yet to find one of either that isn't shot at some horrendously low resolution, and the forums are ugly enough without the additional support those screens would offer. Early reports suggest that the Gods in Nyzul are every bit as difficult as their normal counterparts, and in Nyzul a party is limited to six players, not eighteen with potential outside support. Only one party has confirmed a kill, clearing five floors and barely killing Adamantoise before reaching the thirty minute limit and being ejected from the Assault. As they managed to kill Adamantoise (and clear five floors) within thirty minutes with six people, it's obvious that the hitpoints of these Gods have been lowered substantially, though it is not known by how much. No drops confirmed yet. As these are Floor 20 boss fights, some think that they do not drop anything, and that adventurers will run into them again on higher floors.

There are at least eighty floors to go after this. If the Gods are on Floor 20, what horrors lurk above? Buggered if I know. I'm not level 75. Sadface sadface whinge.

Mumblyfish on
    edited March 2007

Every starting character begins play with 1 level each in Warrior, Monk, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, and Red Mage. You can switch at will by talking to your moogle.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2007

Every starting character begins play with 1 level each in Warrior, Monk, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, and Red Mage. You can switch at will by talking to your moogle.

Sorry, meant Blue Mage so BLU not BLM.

edit:

But does switching to War make the most sense? Otherwise I won't be able to get parties that easily? Or WHM I guess. I could switch to that.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007

Sorry, meant Blue Mage so BLU not BLM.

edit:

But does switching to War make the most sense? Otherwise I won't be able to get parties that easily? Or WHM I guess. I could switch to that.

Your job(s) are tools. Change them as appropreate for the situation you are in. There is nothing stopping you from playing all the jobs with the same character. Don't agonise over it though.

Edit: See all the jobs I play around with activly for example...

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/User:Just_Bri_Thanks

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So which server are most of you playing on? Right now I'm in between a Taru or a Hume for race and a BLM,WHM,MNK or THF for jobs.

Lightor216 on
    edited March 2007
    Hard to say, everyone here seems to be all over the place. Lakshimi, Carbuncle, Asura, and whatever.

All the talk of you have to sub this job for that or you're gimped, blah blah is making me less inclined to come back. I hate that trash. I realize it's the sad fact of MMO's that min-maxing is the "best" way to go, and that you're hurting your team if you sub WHM for WAR, but dammit it'd be nice to have the option to play how you wanted.

If there wasn't a complete lack of solo'ability for most classes, I think more combination options would be viable.

Oh well, not that I'd really be doing anything interesting. I either wanted to be a WHM/BLM with maybe some levels in RDM and SMN, or now BLU, or be a PLD/WAR and maybe DRG or SAM for when I'm bored.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I'll go to a server where someone else is also re-starting from scratch.

Lightor216 on
    edited March 2007
    Well, meat just started on Asura

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    It is a lot more relaxed then it was a year ago for class combinations, but the simple fact is that some class combos just don't work. It may look good in your head, but when the spells start flying and the swords swinging, you will end up taking a dirt nap.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2007
    Lightor216 wrote: »
    I think I'll go to a server where someone else is also re-starting from scratch.

Like KingsHand said I just started on Asura. Varega is there too, sent me a PM cause I guess I wasn't online when they sent me a tell.

From what was said earlier the people are very friendly (well those who speak english, the Japanese can't help you much and I don't blame them, that translation tool is cumbersome). I was doing the first mission in Bastok which sends you into the Zehrun mines. I got kind of lost in there, ran into some dude and told him who I was looking for. He ran me to the guy, then realized I was a total noob so he showed me where to buy maps, gave me 1000gil and some starter scrolls and a little direction on what to do next.

So far I'm having good experiences on Asura and I haven't even met up with any PA people.

I ended up switching RDM out for WHM. At least this way I won't have to want for parties and when the times comes I'll be an awesome support DRG who can solo too.

edit:

BTW, I play in the wee hours of the night for the most part. After 9pm PST all through to morning, about 8am. I'm on a crazy sleep schedule (see the below link).

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Yea, for sure, when I played this past summer for a couple months the community was like a completely different game than when I played at launch. There were still some "nationality" issues, though I tend to keep odd hours too and I didn't have too much trouble finding and performing in JP groups. I just set up a whole bunch of macro's that gave the information that needed to be communicated like TP% and stuff, used emotes and the translation feature when/if more needed to be said.

But on the US side, people were so much friendlier, far far far less asshats (at low levels anyway, maybe they all level'd up?).

The Dude With Herpes on