As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Recommend On] Computer Case

Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
I'm building a new computer and for air flow and real estate concerns (especially with the new vid card sizes, jesus) I want to upgrade my mid tower to a full tower.

I was debating something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011 but am unfamiliar with the brand. Also I am planning on buying a Cooler Master V8 and fear those side fans will get in the way.

Looking to spend between $100 and $150 for ATX Full Tower. black in color is fine, amenities such as front USB ports/headset ports, would be nice. Status monitor definately not required.

My biggest concern is cooling. So if bottom mount for PSU is recommended let me know as well. Also alot of these cases seem to have the HD Rack right next to the PCIEx slot which could be a major problem for vid card installation if HD plugs face rear of case. Don't want to create an air dam even though I plan to install a PCI slot fan or 2 as well.

Dr+Bongenstein.png
Grizzly_Addams on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With a full tower, you won't have any trouble fitting everything in there. Cooling won't be an issue either.

I've got one of these, and was able to fit all components inside (including an 8800GTS which butts up next to the HD enclosure):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156063

Dehumanized on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ya, seriously, don't worry all that much about cooling. If the way cases are designed right now was killing components left right and center because of heat issues, I'm pretty sure they would have stopped making them already.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    With a full tower, you won't have any trouble fitting everything in there. Cooling won't be an issue either.

I've got one of these, and was able to fit all components inside (including an 8800GTS which butts up next to the HD enclosure):

I've also got an 8800 GTS which is right up against the HDDs in my current case as well. Literally no room to spare.

I'm upgrading to GTX 260 which is longer. I am anticipating a problem.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a Cooler Master Cosmos. It's big, it's heavy, it's awesome. I currently have a 4850x2 in there, and still have a good 4-8 inches to spare before it butts up against anything else.

Pirusu on
    edited June 2009
    Pirusu wrote: »
    I have a Cooler Master Cosmos. It's big, it's heavy, it's awesome. I currently have a 4850x2 in there, and still have a good 4-8 inches to spare before it butts up against anything else.

Saw this one and liked the interior layout alot. Not a fan of the color, and its just above my preferred price range though the $150 limit is just for practicality sake, not a real budget.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I've also got an 8800 GTS which is right up against the HDDs in my current case as well. Literally no room to spare.

Is your 8800GTS longer than the motherboard?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pirusu wrote: »

Saw this one and liked the interior layout alot. Not a fan of the color, and its just above my preferred price range though the $150 limit is just for practicality sake, not a real budget.

If you can go a little over $150, take a look at the Antec 1200 too. It has free shipping right now, which is nice considering shipping on a full tower case can be $30+.

grrarg on
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Is your 8800GTS longer than the motherboard?

No? but the PCIEx slot that it goes into is adjacent to the hard drives (of which I have 3) so when assembled the edge of the 8800 GTS and its 6 pin plug is in between the SATA plugs for my hard drives. I dont see how a longer card (which is on its way to me now) could possibly fit.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i have the COOLER MASTER RC-690, and love it. It has a bottom PSU mount and comes with 3 120mm fans and room for several more. However, it is not a full tower, but there is plenty of room within it. I have an 8800gt in it with about 2.5 inches to spare.

11-119-137-17.jpg

11-119-137-10.jpg

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=17&id=2908

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So you basically want to have a jet engine in your room? Fuck that, you don't need an ATX Full tower unless you are planning on putting a dozen hard drives in the thing. Otherwise it is a total waste, more likely to have dead spots unless you fill it with fans, and if you do fill it with fans its going to be noisy and using a crapload of power. There are plenty of mid-style cases that will accommodate longer video cards and they all include good cooling solutions. If you are installing 1 or 2 PCI coolers you are doing it wrong. You need to seriously look at the case as a whole, comparing inbound airflow with outbound airflow, checking temps and being methodical. Not just buying the biggest case you can and filling it with fans.

travathian on
    edited June 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    So you basically want to have a jet engine in your room? Fuck that, you don't need an ATX Full tower unless you are planning on putting a dozen hard drives in the thing. Otherwise it is a total waste, more likely to have dead spots unless you fill it with fans, and if you do fill it with fans its going to be noisy and using a crapload of power. There are plenty of mid-style cases that will accommodate longer video cards and they all include good cooling solutions. If you are installing 1 or 2 PCI coolers you are doing it wrong. You need to seriously look at the case as a whole, comparing inbound airflow with outbound airflow, checking temps and being methodical. Not just buying the biggest case you can and filling it with fans.

Um, what? I have a full tower case, and it's the quietest PC I've ever owned, with really good air flow, and 3 120mm case fans. The loudest part of the computer *by far* is the fan on my 4870. take that out and it's nearly silent. there's a reason why full tower cases are getting more and more popular. They're *better* than mid tower. After switching from mid-tower to full tower, and seeing how much better it is, I'll never go back.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah, my 1200 currently has 6 120MM fans and one 200, yet its one of the quietest towers i've ever owned since I can keep all the fans on the lowest setting and still get great temperatures. My old sonata 2 on the other hand was insanely loud because i'd need to crank up all the fans to get mediocre cooling. (my processor temps dropped about 5 C in the switch from the sonata 2 to the 1200, the system temp dropped even more, its quieter, easier to work in, and sure it takes up a bit more room but I can't even see it under my desk anyway)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love love love the Sonata Plus 550 that I bought for my work computer build.

sonataPlus_q.jpg

I hate to use the term for a computer component, but it's damn sexy.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited June 2009
    I love love love the Sonata Plus 550 that I bought for my work computer build.
    sonataPlus_q.jpg

I hate to use the term for a computer component, but it's damn sexy.

Also out of stock right now :(

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Video Card arrived today, and as I feared does not fit in the case while HDDs are installed in the HDD Bay. There is literally less than 4mm left between edge of card and HDD cage. I can't even afford a new case now so Im going to have to mount the drives some other way.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I have the Storm Sniper and I love it. Its big, sexy and amazingly quiet. It is classified as a mid tower but it is huge for one. Also I bought it on sale for about $110 I think so I would definitely shop around or wait.

Fizban140 on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going out of your price range (But bare with me)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119122

Coolermaster CM stacker 830 evolution. I have a slightly older version but it's mostly the same. The thing that I love and makes this case worthwhile?

Motherboard tray.

I love it. It works, it's magnificent to work with and makes cleaning much easier. Why more computer cases don't have motherboard trays is beyond me. It makes a huge difference. I will say this that the case is VERY HEAVY. It barely fits underneath my computer desk.

I will keep this case until I die. I will redrill holes If I have to. I love this case that much.

Viscountalpha on
    edited July 2009
    Video Card arrived today, and as I feared does not fit in the case while HDDs are installed in the HDD Bay. There is literally less than 4mm left between edge of card and HDD cage. I can't even afford a new case now so Im going to have to mount the drives some other way.

Did you buy a new case or is this your old case?

What model/brand?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've got a ati 4870 1gb that fits just fine in the Antec 900 mid tower. Being at work I can't attest to the exact amount of extra space but it fit just fine. I'm only using one of the two hard drive cages and I believe I chose the one not lined up with the video card simply because it made sense, so not sure how tight a fit it would be with the hard drive and vid card end to end.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited July 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Did you buy a new case or is this your old case?

What model/brand?

Old case. Which is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156191

And I actually just got it 6 months ago. Both sides open via the handle near the top, so motherboard tray, drive rails, vga cooling. I actually like it alot but like I said, the new video card goes all the way up against the 3.5" enclosure, which I have 3 HDDs installed in now that stick out about 1.5".

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rather than making my own thread, I'm looking for a good HTPC case. Any recommendations for something that will give good cooling, be quiet, and still fit horizontally on a shelf inside an entertainment center? (the shelf is high enough for a Wii to stand up right on).

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    Rather than making my own thread, I'm looking for a good HTPC case. Any recommendations for something that will give good cooling, be quiet, and still fit horizontally on a shelf inside an entertainment center? (the shelf is high enough for a Wii to stand up right on).

Case width is pretty standard, but an Antec P182/P183 should fit that bill rather nicely. It's a a fair bit taller than your average mid-tower, though.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    SAW776 wrote: »

Case width is pretty standard, but an Antec P182/P183 should fit that bill rather nicely. It's a a fair bit taller than your average mid-tower, though.

Ah, alright. I just wasn't sure if there'd be any issues with setting a normal tower on its side inside of an entertainment center.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like to get a case that bundles a power supply with it, usually saves money, too.

MindLib on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Buy a Scythe heatsink and Scythe case fans, you will be glad you did

Azio on
    edited July 2009
    MindLib wrote: »
    I like to get a case that bundles a power supply with it, usually saves money, too.

imo, the reason why it's usually cheaper is because those comobos cheap out on the PSU. It's either of lower quality or lower power. Anecodtal evidence from myself and friends who have built machines with a case+psu combo before shows about a 75-80% failure rate on the PSU within the first year. That alone is enough to get me to buy a good quality PSU seperate.

wunderbar on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    MindLib wrote: »

imo, the reason why it's usually cheaper is because those comobos cheap out on the PSU. It's either of lower quality or lower power. Anecodtal evidence from myself and friends who have built machines with a case+psu combo before shows about a 75-80% failure rate on the PSU within the first year. That alone is enough to get me to buy a good quality PSU seperate.

It depends on if the manufacturer supports it but for cheaper cases? yea. They are usually the WORST PSU's you can get. When they die they can take out your motherboard, hard drive, memory.. ect..

A cheap case and PSU aren't worth it. You get what you pay for usually.

Viscountalpha on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm in the market for a new case at the moment and trying to find something that can easily support a XFX GTX260 card with out running into the hard drive bay area's. Unfortunantly its very hard to find out which ones can and can't support these large and long cards. I'd prefer something under $150, with $200 being the top limit. Any help will be appreciated.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited August 2009
    genearlly any full tower case will support it without a problem.

Even most new mid-tower designs will, as longer GPU's are becoming a norm.

Still a huge fan of my Antec p182

wunderbar on
  • BlueSquaredBlueSquared Registered User new member
    edited August 2009

I will come out of lurking for a very long time to second the P182. It is an excellent case, both in terms of airflow and quietness.

BlueSquared on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I will come out of lurking for a very long time to second the P182. It is an excellent case, both in terms of airflow and quietness.

They released a new revision of the case (P183). It fixes my biggest problem with the P182, which is that my PSU is long enough that I have maybe a 1 1/2" clearance from the body to the fan, and the cables touch the side of the fan body when they're routed up to the motherboard plate. The P183 moved the fan to the front of the lower chamber.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru