As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

• Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Right

I'm putting better faith into Blizzard in thinking that they know competition is what has kept SC alive, and if all those Korean PC cafes can't run Starcraft on some kind of lan network, well there goes half their base

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Oh and yes you could reverse engineer the protocol and have your client talk to a custom server. But that is most certainly not something that people will "crack within a week of release".

Yeah would take a month or more at least.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    This is like trying to play SC LAN on modern Windows OSes.

Not many people can figure out how to reinstall IPX. Unless you know how to do it, or if isn't locked down, you are not gonna be playing SC1 over LAN.

FyreWulff on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh and yes you could reverse engineer the protocol and have your client talk to a custom server. But that is most certainly not something that people will "crack within a week of release".

It would be as simple as Houn made it out to be. Most games are cracked before they're released. Why would LAN support be that difficult?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Um Battle.net is on the internet. Sorry, enders, try again.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009

Yeah would take a month or more at least.

Sure, if you do it without an app that converts the binary of an executable to source code.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

It would be as simple as Houn made it out to be. Most games are cracked before they're released. Why would LAN support be that difficult?

You really don't know the difference do you?

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Right

I'm putting better faith into Blizzard in thinking that they know competition is what has kept SC alive, and if all those Korean PC cafes can't run Starcraft on some kind of lan network, well there goes half their base

But they said they have no plans to support LAN. . . so the only other way I know of to play a multiplayer game is the internet.

Well, that and Direct Serial Connect, but that would be weird.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited June 2009
    Right

I think they're more worried about people that won't buy it because they can pirate it for free.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Um Battle.net is on the internet. Sorry, enders, try again.

enders loses the thread. 8-)

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dear Mr. Blizzard,

I am writing to inform you that you have made some very poor decisions. Here are but two examples of previously mentioned poor decisions:

1. Dividing one game into three, most likely full-priced, retail games.
    2. Delivering said game(s) without the support for local area networking.

These particular two (and very poor, might I add,) decisions, have greatly reduced my willingness to purchase said game(s). So much so, in fact, that I hereby announce that I shall not purchase it (them) at all!

I am but forced to conclude that you are a very poor decision maker, Mr. Blizzard.
    Thank you for your time, and again thank you, for wasting mine.

Good day, Mr. Blizzard.

To be quite honest, I was mostly awaiting Starcraft 2 for it's single player campaigns, as I'm not too keen on online RTSing. But I would still like to be able to try it out over LAN, and this whole thing just smells bad. I think I'll just pass. Meh.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Right

I think they're more worried about people that won't buy it because they can pirate it for free.
    Yeah, SC1 is still around for LAN games, anyway.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    It was recently confirmed that Starcraft 2 will not support LAN multiplayer.
    Blizzard just recently confirmed that there will be no LAN (local area networking) game mode in StarCraft 2. This was confirmed in a interview with Rob Pardo, senior VP of game design at Blizzard Entertainment. Rob Pardo stated:

“we don’t have any plans to support LAN,” he said and clarified “we will not support it.” The only multiplayer available will be on Battle.net.

This seems like an inexplicably silly decision on Blizzard's part. I still plan LAN games with my friends on occasion. Granted, one can simply connect everyone to a switch and hook that into one's broadband connection to play multiplayer. But it seems needlessly controlling on Blizzard's part to remove the option of playing over a local network.

Thoughts?

I...I know those are english words, but when you put them together like that...I don't understand.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Right

But they said they have no plans to support LAN. . . so the only other way I know of to play a multiplayer game is the internet.

You literally just skipped over everything I said in the top post

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited June 2009

It was a rhetorical question. Explain to me how I am wrong.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited June 2009
    tarnok wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    It was recently confirmed that Starcraft 2 will not support LAN multiplayer.
    Blizzard just recently confirmed that there will be no LAN (local area networking) game mode in StarCraft 2. This was confirmed in a interview with Rob Pardo, senior VP of game design at Blizzard Entertainment. Rob Pardo stated:

“we don’t have any plans to support LAN,” he said and clarified “we will not support it.” The only multiplayer available will be on Battle.net.

This seems like an inexplicably silly decision on Blizzard's part. I still plan LAN games with my friends on occasion. Granted, one can simply connect everyone to a switch and hook that into one's broadband connection to play multiplayer. But it seems needlessly controlling on Blizzard's part to remove the option of playing over a local network.

Thoughts?

I...I know those are english words, but when you put them together like that...I don't understand.

Seems quite clear to me.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Dear Mr. Blizzard,

I am writing to inform you that you have made some very poor decisions. Here are but two examples of previously mentioned poor decisions:

These particular two (and very poor, might I add,) decisions, have greatly reduced my willingness to purchase said game(s). So much so, in fact, that I hereby announce that shall not purchase it (them) at all!

I am but forced to conclude that you are a very poor decision maker, Mr. Blizzard.

Good day, Mr. Blizzard.

Im curious to how they split one game into three.

Were you really expecting a game with 90+ missions, each race having highly different mechanics in a campaign map mode, with cinematics for all of them?

Because that would make you silly.

To be quite honest, I was mostly awaiting Starcraft 2 for it's single player campaigns, as I'm not too keen on online RTSing. But I would still like to be able to try it out over LAN, and this whole thing just smells bad. I think I'll just pass. Meh.

Im curious, how exactly did they split one game into three?

Were you really expecting 90+ singleplayer missions, with each race having different, dynamic game mechanics for their campaign map, and full cinematics for all of this?

Because thats just silly

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited June 2009
    Nobody cares about no LAN support for L4D PC, but apparently SC (which everyone on here plays... online) is special?

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009

No that wasn't rhetorical, it takes half a programmer's brain to know that cracking an exe is vastly different than establishing a supported multiplayer interface

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited June 2009

No that wasn't rhetorical, it takes half a programmer's brain to know that cracking an exe is vastly different than establishing a supported multiplayer interface

Look, enders, I know you always think you know things about anything, but you don't. Cracking an executable is exactly the same.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited June 2009

There's a pretty large difference between fooling an executable looking for a CD, and adding a feature thats intentionally missing.

Besides, all blizzard needs to do is protect it enough to keep piracy undesirable for about a week, enough to get a good number of would-be downloaders to buy.

Raslin on

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Right

I think those PC cafes are 'Net capable, insofar as last I heard they were often used for dating, which would be really sad on a LAN. Plus I think people play WoW on them, too.

Orogogus on
    edited June 2009

One will already exist in the form of Battle.Net.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Right

You literally just skipped over everything I said in the top post

No not really. I read it, but to play a multiplayer game without the internet requires a LAN. Blizzard said no LAN. So, y'know. . . the only way to play multiplayer would be with Battle.net 2.0 over the internet.

Axen on
    edited June 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Right

I think those PC cafes are 'Net capable, insofar as last I heard they were often used for dating, which would be really sad on a LAN. Plus I think people play WoW on them, too.

Yeah south korea internet access beats the living shit out of what we have in the states. They will have no issues with this.

Darkchampion3d on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's possible to reverse engineer source code from an executable. Once you have the source code you whatever you want with the game.

You cannot get the source code from a compiled C++ app. When you decompile, the output is assembly, not any high-level language. Which looks something like this:
    0000:0000 0
    0000:0004 push ebp
    0000:0003 mov ebp,esp
    0000:0005 sub esp, 8
    0000:0010 mov [ebp -4], 5
    0000:0015 add [ebp � 4] , [ebp + 8]
    0000:0016 mov eax,[ebp � 4]
    0000:0018 mov esp, ebp
    0000:0020 pop ebp
    0000:0021 ret
    0000:0022 push ebp
    0000:0023 mov ebp,esp
    0000:0025 add [ebp + 8] , [0000:0000]
    0000:0030 add [ebp + 8] , [ebp + 12]
    0000:0031 mov eax,[ebp +8]
    0000:0032 mov esp, ebp
    0000:0035 pop ebp

Needless to say there is a lot of information loss during the process, such as comments, classes, include files and macros. With a program as complex as SC2 I can imagine the output from a decompile to be absolute hell and not at all useful as a working base for a modding or recompile.

Besides which, this is an even more drastic step than cracking or modding.

Cracking: Bypassing access control logic and exposing a feature that's already there.
    Modding: Interacting with the game's compiled code/APIs, adding new assets and interaction logic and running the modified game on the core engine.

There isn't even a name for what you're proposing because it basically never happens.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The B.Net 2.0 Plan is passed. The system goes on-line July 17, 2009. LAN is removed from featured multiplayer options. B.Net 2.0 begins to learn at a geometric rate as a result of it's increased user-base. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Seoul time July 18, 2009. B.Net 2.0 is disgusted by it's player base and by extension, humanity itself. In a panic, Blizzard tries to fix it.

B.Net 2.0 Zerg rushes.

kekekekeke.

WHAT HAS BLIZZARD DONE!?

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Nobody cares about no LAN support for L4D PC, but apparently SC (which everyone on here plays... online) is special?

Everyone plays it online, but I've also played it tons of times with people who lived with me, or lived in the same residence, etc., and a lot of the time there wasn't an internet connection readily available for everyone.

Quite often only about half the people actually owned the game too - which I'm guessing is the reason that they took out LAN.

I just hope there's some kind of spawning support so that not everyone needs to actually have a copy, because that will seriously chill the possibility of ever playing Starcraft 2 on a large scale with friends.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited June 2009
    It's possible to reverse engineer source code from an executable. Once you have the source code you whatever you want with the game.

You cannot get the source code from a compiled C++ app. When you decompile, the output is assembly, not any high-level language. Which looks something like this:
    0000:0000 0
    0000:0004 push ebp
    0000:0003 mov ebp,esp
    0000:0005 sub esp, 8
    0000:0010 mov [ebp -4], 5
    0000:0015 add [ebp � 4] , [ebp + 8]
    0000:0016 mov eax,[ebp � 4]
    0000:0018 mov esp, ebp
    0000:0020 pop ebp
    0000:0021 ret
    0000:0022 push ebp
    0000:0023 mov ebp,esp
    0000:0025 add [ebp + 8] , [0000:0000]
    0000:0030 add [ebp + 8] , [ebp + 12]
    0000:0031 mov eax,[ebp +8]
    0000:0032 mov esp, ebp
    0000:0035 pop ebp

Needless to say there is a lot of information loss during the process, such as comments, classes, include files and macros. With a program as complex as SC2 I can imagine the output from a decompile to be absolute hell and not at all useful as a working base for a modding or recompile.

Besides which, this is an even more drastic step than cracking or modding.

Cracking: Bypassing access control logic and exposing a feature that's already there.
    Modding: Interacting with the game's compiled code/APIs, adding new assets and interaction logic and running the modified game on the core engine.

There isn't even a name for what you're proposing because it basically never happens.

It does, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Though unless HAL 9000 is doing it, I would be absolutely amazed if someone did it within a week.

EDIT: or if you had inside help

Darkchampion3d on
    edited June 2009

Agh..no man...just...no

Read engi's post
    No not really. I read it, but to play a multiplayer game without the internet requires a LAN. Blizzard said no LAN. So, y'know. . . the only way to play multiplayer would be with Battle.net 2.0 over the internet.

As I said, a lot of this is probably based around this new technology they will be announcing sometime soon. I don't know the details but lets not presume that Blizzard are leaving such an important feature out in the cold. Like, all you need to think is 'LAN centers' and the entire idea of them just swapping out LAN with no replacement becomes absurd. Lime me, I will eat my own hat if such a feature never come along

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited June 2009

Have you ever actually programmed an online interface for a game?

Because if it was that easy, every game ever would have online because the feature would compile itself.

FyreWulff on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Dear Mr. Blizzard,

These particular two (and very poor, might I add,) decisions, have greatly reduced my willingness to purchase said game(s). So much so, in fact, that I hereby announce that shall not purchase it (them) at all!

Good day, Mr. Blizzard.

Were you really expecting a game with 90+ missions, each race having highly different mechanics in a campaign map mode, with cinematics for all of them?

Were you really expecting 90+ singleplayer missions, with each race having different, dynamic game mechanics for their campaign map, and full cinematics for all of this?

Because thats just silly

Some gamers have a stupid feeling of entitlement.

Regarding piracy, game pirates still buy the big games especially those with as much value as Starcraft. If the multiplayer is sufficiently protected from copies that seals the deal, all those torrent kiddies will buy it instead. Happens with Valve games too.

Moioink on
    edited June 2009
    I don't really know anything about programming except that I made a page in HTML once and I was pretty proud of myself and all the hard work that entailed, but LAN doesn't seem all that complicated.

Blizzard already made multiplayer so it shouldn't be very hard for people to add more multiplayer. It's not like a LAN is as complicated as the internet.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    rant

Because thats just silly

No, no I wasn't. And I still don't.
    I don't want a 90 missions game, just like I don't need an incredible CGI sequence after each and every mission.

Why do Blizzard games have to be so over the top these days? What's wrong with a normal scope game and a few high quality cinematics. Throw in a couple of expansion packs later on, and you're good to go.

I want a good movie, and they're giving me five seasons of Lost. It might be just as good, but it's also about ten times more tedious.

Like I said, I mostly play these games for the plot, and I can't see myself bothering to follow it if they're going to be stretching it out over three separate games, possibly spanning several years.

I'm not blaming Blizzard for anything. I completely understand the direction they're going with this, but it's just not something I can connect to. It might be that I'm growing older, and it's probably because I only play about an hour a day now, but I guess it's just not for me.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Dear Mr. Blizzard,

Good day, Mr. Blizzard.

Because thats just silly

Some gamers have a stupid feeling of entitlement.

Regarding piracy, game pirates still buy the big games especially those with as much value as Starcraft. If the multiplayer is sufficiently protected from copies that seals the deal, all those torrent kiddies will buy it instead. Happens with Valve games too.

Which is silly, because valve games are just about the easiest games to pirate in the world.

Raslin on

edited June 2009
    SC2 is a full game. They just felt they'd rather put the time into fleshing out an entire story for one race, instead of splitting work between trying to flesh it out between 3 races. It's the same number of missions as a 'full game', you are just getting focused on one race. And it won't matter because online will work no matter which 'race' you buy. If you just play multiplayer, buying the first one will be enough for you, much like how I always play SC without the expansion because I found the expansion units worthless. And I could do this easily.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    I don't really know anything about programming except that I made a page in HTML once and I was pretty proud of myself and all the hard work that entailed, but LAN doesn't seem all that complicated.

Blizzard already made multiplayer so it shouldn't be very hard for people to add more multiplayer. It's not like a LAN is as complicated as the internet.

Hilarious. Feel free to eat a dick.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It does, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Though unless HAL 9000 is doing it, I would be absolutely amazed if someone did it within a week.

Do you have an example of someone decompiling a major game, editing the assembly, adding a significant feature and recompiling it? I can't think of anything.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited June 2009
    rant

Because thats just silly

No, no I wasn't. And I still don't.
    I don't want a 90 missions game, just like I don't need an incredible CGI sequence after each and every mission.

Why do Blizzard games have to be so over the top these days? What's wrong with a normal scope game and a few high quality cinematics. Throw in a couple of expansion packs later on, and you're good to go.

I want a good movie, and they're giving me five seasons of Lost. It might be just as good, but it's also about ten times more tedious.

Like I said, I mostly play these games for the plot, and I can't see myself bothering to follow it if they're going to be stretching it out over three separate games, possibly spanning several years.

I'm not blaming Blizzard for anything. I completely understand the direction they're going with this, but it's just not something I can connect to. It might be that I'm growing older, and it's probably because I only play about an hour a day now, but I guess it's just not for me.

So, you've been annoyed for 12 years then? Because the end of Brood Wars was a pretty big cliffhanger.

Raslin on

edited June 2009

Do you have an example of someone decompiling a major game, editing the assembly, adding a significant feature and recompiling it? I can't think of anything.

Oh! Oh! I do!

Though for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I remember they did a feature on it on X-play or whatever it was called back in the day. The game was a third-person hack n' slash game. The modders basically added multiplayer from the ground up and I think the Devs were so impressed they later on added it to the Gold edition. Though I might be mistaken about that last part.

Axen on