As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATI Control Center Blocked By DEP

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
So I recently purchased this laptop, and have been quite satisfied with it. The only thing lacking from it was a proper graphics driver. So I did some google searching and updated the driver, which also included a Catalyst Control Centre.

Problem is, that Data Execution Prevention keeps blocking the Control Centre whenever I try opening it up. I've tried to look for a more up-to-date driver, add the program as an exception, and even followed steps to disable DEP. And yet the program keeps getting blocked.

Here's the details of the error message, not sure if it'll help:

roblem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: CCC.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 494a943f
Fault Module Name: StackHash_a2ca
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 0000000000000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: a2ca
Additional Information 2: 5c8111e34b059e1e276fb997af890bc2
Additional Information 3: 0d54
Additional Information 4: d1827ca4607d226c23de1b87816e5b54

The driver is version 8.533.0.0. If you need any other details, just let me know.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not sure if this solves your problem, but have you tried ditching CCC and used a third party program like ATI Tray Tools? It's a much, much better program than CCC.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I haven't, but I'm willing to give it a shot if it doesn't conflict with my driver or anything.

Would you also recommend that program over Nvidia's control panel (which I use on my desktop)?

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Nope, it shouldn't conflict with it. I use it on my desktop. And ATI Tray Tools won't work for an nVidia card, but there's NVTray. I haven't used this myself, so I can't attest to how well it works, but I have seen it recommended.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just so I don't resort to another thread, what are some things I can do to speed up my laptop? There's some lag regarding HD videos, typing online, and other processes. It's nothing big, but with 4gb of RAM I'd figure I could do some configuring to speed things up.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    have you spent time uninstalling all the extra crap that usually comes on computers? All the HP stuff you don't need, etc etc. Then I'd check to see which programs launch at startup, which are currently running, and which you don't NEED to run.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have done that, but there are a few HP programs (media something and other stuff) that I'm not sure if I need or not.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Well unfortunately, I can't get the ATT to work. Vista 64 tells me the program doesn't have a signed driver. I've tried several methods to try and disable driver signing, but none of it work. Also, it froze my computer a lot.

Any alternative program? I read about an ATT beta that worked, but I wasn't able to find out.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    http://www.atitraytools.tk/ There's a download for the latest beta (which works with Vista 64) there.

It's version 1.6.9.1386

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I still got the unsigned driver message, but it seemed to have installed properly.

Quite a lot of options too. For my laptop specs posted above, what do you recommend for the best performance?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It should be well fast enough to type, at least.

Graphics card and processor are a bit slow, but nothing that should be insufficient, I think. Turn off Aero glass and such if you're really paining for responsiveness, but it shouldn't be necessary. I ran Vista32 on a similarly-specced system with full Aero effects.

Hm. Your best option, I'm guessing, would be to savage everything that runs on startup, see how responsive your system gets, then reinstall one by one until you meet a happy medium. Everything, this includes HP blobs to control your camera or whatever, media center, sidebar, etc. Your system should be really snappy with everything off, if it isn't you have bigger problems.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ is good for cleaning up the junk that tends to come on laptops.

You've got a real GPU in there, so the biggest thing you could do for HD playback would be to use a DXVA capable media player.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Will that DXVA player work with Youtube and other flash-based videos, because that's where I'm getting the stuttering. I think it might have more to do with streaming than anything else. But yeah, I'm still tinkering with things, but eliminating some of the unneeded crap in startup seems to be working.

Edit: Oh, and NVTray says it doesn't support my version of windows. :(

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Wanted to bump this and ask you what settings you recommend for the overclocking mode of ATI Tray Tools? I'm considering using it to increase my gaming performance, but I only want to bump it up to the minimally safe levels.

And again, looking for a Vista version of NV Tray.

• Options
    paulpaul Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    what executable did you Add to your DEP?

im using Catalist Control Center in Vista 64 as well, i had to add CCC to the DEP list , but if you see in your registry Run folder the .exe that launches CCC.exe is :

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe

not CCC.exe.

Try adding CLIStart.exe to your DEP.

(i did try adding CCC.exe too, and got a windows error saying that Windows has to use DEP for this program and that CCC.exe cannot be added to the list), so it seems for whatever reason that CLIStart.exe is the one to actually add here.

hope that helps

paul on
This discussion has been closed.