As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good food for bad stomach?

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
long story short; I just spent the last 3 days puking my guts up (it was coming out the other end too). Doctor said it was the flu.

I'm able to keep down food now; but still a bit dicey and about everything I've tried is still making my stomach
'shaky'. I've been doing a lot of clear liquids (mostly water and hydration salts) but my doctors said I should try and start moving to solids so I can get my health back.

Soup, special the 'Cream of XYZ' seems to be doing reasonable well. Besides that, any other suggestions? I'm going to get some jello/pudding and/or fruit.

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    White rice, grilled chicken, bananas, and non-diet cola or apple juice.

supabeast on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And when your stomach is back to being mostly settled, it'd probably be a good idea to start eating a bit of yogurt to re-establish the beneficial bacteria colony in your guts.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yogurt is your friend! I like cottage cheese too. And applesauce.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Boiled, pureed granny smith apples are very gently on the stomach. It's also very tasty as well.

As supabeast mentioned, white rice and bananas are also great.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think this goes without saying, but wait for the throwing-up stage to pass before hitting up the dairy. I'll second the white rice, though. Very tame and good for a sick stomach.

Not sure if you'd like it, but I also sometimes eat matzohs if they're around. Very bland - too bland for some people, but I like 'em.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A little ginger (or even ginger ale) always helps to calm my stomach.

nakirush on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Soda crackers.

Seriously, salteens and a can of coke have gotten me through a lot of nausia.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Might be just my body being whacky, but dry toast, moving up to buttered toast when you feel comfortable enough, always helped.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Sprite and Zesta's, FTW.

...but whatever you do, don't eat a cold greasy ham sandwich out of a dirty ashtray.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yogurt is your friend! I like cottage cheese too. And applesauce.

Applesauce for sure, but watch out on the lactose. Instead of yogurt, try acidophilus. It's the part of the yogurt that helps to settle the stomach and regulate digestion. If you eat a lot of dairy and end up throwing it up, though, you can actually promote lactose intolerance. Just take some acidophilus tablets until you're sure you're not going to be throwing up.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Salteens are my best friends during that sort of flu.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whenever I have an upset stomach I eat some combination of BRAT.

Banana
    Rice
    Applesauce
    Toast

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vietnamese PHO works wonders with a cold/flu. Just make sure you get the well done brisket.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Soda crackers and gingerale. Gingerale always seems to help quite a bit, I find.

mully on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vietnamese PHO works wonders with a cold/flu. Just make sure you get the well done brisket.

Err, isn't Pho fairly significantly spiced? For an upset stomach, the Pho would be quickly condemned to the toilet bowl.

This is no attack on Pho, it's just for an upset stomach a spiced soup is one of the worst things imaginable.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Err, isn't Pho fairly significantly spiced? For an upset stomach, the Pho would be quickly condemned to the toilet bowl.

This is no attack on Pho, it's just for an upset stomach a spiced soup is one of the worst things imaginable.

It's basically a beef broth with stuff added. I wouldn't be dumping in a bunch of jalapenos and hot sauce with the flu, but broth with noodles would be good. There may be some ginger in there as well, which is very good for upset stomachs.

I'd also toss in my vote for saltines or any other plain cracker like pilot bread along with 7-UP. Definitely good when you're having a hard time holding anything down.

Newton on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cornmeal is tasty boiled up with a little butter and salt, sprinkled with brown sugar. I nibble crystalline ginger for an upset stomach, it's pretty awesome.

An old family recipe for bread pudding is a few slices of bread torn into little pieces, placed into a bowl with a bit of milk and heated in the microwave until soft and squishy, flavoured with butter, cinnamon and sugar. Ultra bland, but not bad all in all. Great for heartburn and indigestion, dunno about the flu.

Course, there's always ginger ale and mushroom soup. With a bit of vanilla ice cream, gramma style.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you are shitting and puking your guts out, avoid dairy like it's the plague.

Ginger of any kind is superb for this
    BRAT as well.

Toast is interchangeable with any sort of water cracker

rfalias on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Worth checking out to help stablize your stomach/intestines is activated charcoal. You can buy it at most health stores, it basically absorbs everything and turns your shit black. Pepto Bismal works in a similar fashion for helping out with intestinal distress as well.

To help you recover buy some gatorade/powerade, the added fluids and electrolytes will help your body out from what I understand.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Banana

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Short grain white rice cooks up mild and sticky(fun to eat), fills you up, has plenty of flavor, and stays down easy. Steamed broccoli and fresh cucumbers are also personal favorites. Avoid pickles or vinegars, though.

Ginger or peppermint tea (hot) also have helped me through stomach flus. Less calories than sodas, and taste better to me personally. The hot tea also has a calming effect on my stomach.

Enc on