As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Pre-Pre-PAX Events in Vancouver BC:

AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
For those who want to make PAX last more than three days, there are the Pre-PAX and Post-PAX events in Seattle.

For those of us who can't even wait for Pre-PAX to begin there's Pre-Pre-PAX Vancouver. :mrgreen:

Much like last year the plan is to build up to PAX weekend with a series of geek-friendly events over the two weeks leading up to PAX. The event list may start as early as mid-August and will lead up to the departure of the Canadian Supertrip on the morning of Thursday September 3rd. If you live in or around Vancouver BC you're welcome to, nay, expected to attend at least one of our events. Of course, our southern neighbours are also more than welcome to venture north to attend these events. I do recommend visting our fair city now, as after we host the Olympics this spring, it is doubtful that we will ever let anyone ever visit here again. o_O

Please use this thread to not only sign up for any posted events but also as a place to pitch your ideas for new events that we can add. If a proposed event gains enough interest I'll add it to the Event Listings section below.

========================================================================
EVENT CALENDAR: See Event Listings for specific details

Friday August 21st: Midnight Double Feature Picture Show @ Rio Theatre
Saturday August 22nd: ZOMGGoLFPUTTPUTT Day @ Seymour Creek Golf Centre
Saturday August 22nd: ZOMGLAzERPEWPEW Night @ Laser Dome
Sunday August 23rd: The Other Pre-PAX Dinner @ Davie Mongolian BBQ
Friday August 28th: ACC3SS's Night of Video Games! @ Jimz Gaming Lounge
Saturday August 29th: Abbotsford Raid Night @ Castle Fun Park
Wednesday September 2nd: PAX FTW! (For The Wings) @ WINGS
Thursday September 3rd: CST Departs (and the bus group will probably invade Cheesecake Factory for lunch again)

Event Map

EVENT LISTINGS:

MIDNIGHT DOUBLE FEATURE PICTURE SHOW - FRIDAY AUGUST 21ST
Event Organizer: Rio Theatre

Anime Double Feature at Rio in Vancouver: 12:00AM

Opening Film: Akira
Main Feature: Ghost in the Shell

Come check out two classic Anime Films at the historic Rio Theatre. As usual the Rio encourages Cosplay and a discount on your tickets is available if you come in an appropriate costume. (ie appropriate to the movie playing). So join us for some late night movie house shenanegins.

Ticket Price: $10 for normal people or $8 for cosplayers

Confirmed Attendees:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
Badlcuk
Teenychicka +1
Tr0tsky
Wormdundee

ZOMGGoLFPUTTPUTT DAY 1.0 - SATURDAY AUGUST 22ND
ZOMGLAzERPEWPEW NIGHT 2.0 - SATURDAY AUGUST 22ND
Event Organizer: AbsintheMinded

Mini Putt and Driving Range at Seymour Creek Golf Centre in North Vancouver: 6:00PM to 8:00PM
Laser TagL at Laser Dome in North Vancouver: 9:00PM to Midnight

Pricing:
Mini Putt: $5.00 per round
Driving Range: $6.00/60 Balls
Laser Tag: $19.95 (play all night pricing for 9pm - midnight)

Do you love FPS and want to use your mad skillz IRL in a legal way? Do you suck at Halo and want to show those XBL FPSers how it's done IRL? Do you like looking at pretty flashing lights? If you've answered yes to any of these questions, then you must join us for a night of Laser Tag at it's finest. If you've answered no to all of these questions.... then show up anyway, it'll be fun I tellz ya!

Confirmed Attendees Laser Tag:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
deadmetal
Refrag
Sumi +1
Tr0tsky
Wormdundee
Confirmed Attendees Mini-Putt:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
deadmetal
Theros
Tr0tsky
Wormdundee

THE OTHER PRE-PAX DINNER 1.0 - SUNDAY AUGUST 23RD

Time: 4pm

Pricing:
TBA ($15-25)

A chance to meet and greet with your fellow PAXers in a location without video games, lasers or any other gaming device.... so bring your DS.

Confirmed Attendees:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
deadmetal
Ogrebeef +1
Tr0tsky +1
Parabola
Theros
Wormdundee
ACC3SS's Night of Video Games! @ JIMZ GAMING LOUNGE 2.0 - FRIDAY AUGUST 28TH
Event Organizer: ACC3SS

A night of Console Gaming at Jimz in Port Moody: Time 7:00PM - 10:00PM

Pricing: $20.00
Please note Jimz Gaming Lounge exists in a strange land where plastic money doesn't exist. In other words it's Cash Only.... so be sure to bring outdated paper tender with you.

It was so much fun last year, we are forcing ACC3SS to plan it again this year.

Prepare yourself for a night of console gaming at Jimz Gamer Lounge on August 28th from 7-10pm. Admission is 20 bones. The competition will be fierce. Alliances will be hastily made and epically discarded. Foes will be crushed. Headshots will be made. Combos will be counted. Blocks will be boomed. Grifballs will be planted. Princesses will be in other castles, which may also be crashed. And, yes, there will be blood. Zombie blood.

Jim even said he'd throw a BBQ for us. OM NOM HOTDOGS.

So, put on your gaming face (GRRRR!) and bring a Queen E to the most anticipated Pre-PAX Vancouver Gaming Night of the year. You won't regret it!
Transit Directions: Take the skytrain to Lougheed Station. From Lougheed Bay 1, take the 97 B Line 10 stops to St John's and Moray Street (aprx 15 min trip). Cross the street... walk in the door.

Confirmed Attendees:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS (Better be there)
Refrag
Parabola
Serenity
SilentDan
Sumi +1
Theros
Tr0tsky +1
Wormdundee
X1Zero +1
ABBOTSFORD RAID NIGHT @ CASTLE FUN PARK 1.0 - SATURDAY AUGUST 29TH

A night of Mini-Putt, Go Karts and other foolery at Castle Fun Park in Abbotsford: Time 8pm - midnight

Pricing: See Website
The event will be a free for all, you can choose what events you want to partake in once there. Most likely one round of mini golf will be had, which is $7.00 per round, but there are group rates if enough of us participate.

We will be carpooling into Abbotsford from Vancouver so make sure you have a full carload, if not jump in with someone elses or take a few more folks with you. We're all friendly here. ;)

Confirmed Attendees:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
Sumi +1
Tr0tsky +1
Wormdundee
Yuritau

PAX FTW! (FOR THE WINGS) NIGHT 2.0 - WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND

Wings at Wings on Granville: 6:30PM

A night of DS, Wings, DS, booze, DS and a little DS at one of the best wing joints in Vancouver. If they have the nerve to call themselves Wings, you know that their dismembered poultry appendages must be good.

Event Rooster:
AbsintheMinded +5
ACC3SS
Asiina
degreesplatinum
DiscoGobbo
HonestD
little_cinchan
Negitoro +3
Ninjowned
Nuclear Wizard +1
Ogrebeef +2
Parabola
RC Demoral +1
Serenity
Senicks
SmallLady +1
Sumi +1
Theros
Teenychicka +1
tr0tsky
Varcayn
Wormdundee
Yuritau

More to come...

AbsintheMinded on

• tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll go to both :D Well, assuming that ACC3SS sets up Jimz at some time when I can go.

tr0tsky on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll just say I'm going to both right now. Should be no problem.

Wormdundee on
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the Gaming Night, Friday worked pretty well last year. I would assume we'd be looking at Friday August 28th or Saturday the 29th. However, we'll leave the date open for ACC3SS to work his magic.

As for our second annual dinner, (1) I'm thinking we might hit up someplace different and (2) it definately should not be on the same night as FTW this time. Sunday the 30th might be a good date but I'll leave it up to mob to decide.

For additional events this year, I'd like to gague interest in the following:

(1) Taking over a Rock Band night at one of the Yaletown or Downtown pubs. There are a lot of these and we'll have a few dates to pick from, so I'm looking for general interest atm.

(2) Theatre Sports Improv on Granville Island. This might be an interesting event, and would push Pre-Pre-PAX into July, as they wrap up production in August. None of their shows are set up as geek-centirc, but I have met a couple of the players and they are fairly geeky themselves. Accordingly since they take suggestions from the audience, if there are enough of us I'm pretty sure we can steer the skits into our domain. :twisted:

(3) Laser Tag. Yes its physical activity, but it also involves lasers. Our Post-PAX Laser tag event last year worked out well, so if anyone is up for a little Pre-PAX combat, this could be an option.

AbsintheMinded on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yay! Volun-told! That's my second favourite type of volunteering. ^.^

As for Jimz, I'll see what I can pull together in the coming weeks. I haven't been there for a while. I should probably make sure it's still open before we start planing specific details. I'll drop by and put in a good word soon. In the meantime, I won't catch a wink of sleep until I think of a superfantasical name for said event.

Also, put me as confirmed for FTW Night.

ACC3SS on
    edited June 2009
    Absinthe, I'm loving all those suggestions.

For another option, how do you guys feel about paintball? I know it can get pretty expensive if you don't own your own marker plus gas, but it's a chance to see if your FPS skillz can translate into real life! :D

Not that I claim to be on expert on the places to go. I've only been to the one on the way to the Tsawassen ferry terminal.

http://www.tsawwassenpaintball.ca/

With pricing at
    http://www.tsawwassenpaintball.ca/SemiPackage.php

Wormdundee on
    edited June 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    As for Jimz, I'll see what I can pull together in the coming weeks. I haven't been there for a while. I should probably make sure it's still open before we start planing specific details.

Hrm... yes good plan. I just noticed that their events page is rather blank at the moment.
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    For another option, how do you guys feel about paintball? I know it can get pretty expensive if you don't own your own marker plus gas, but it's a chance to see if your FPS skillz can translate into real life! :D

And what about those of us who have little FPS skillz but lots of GTA skillz. I'm not sure if anyone wants me to translate that into real life!

If we had a large enough group to do the four hour field rental it might work.... though I'm not sure how many people would want to go up against the regular patrons at a paintball course. Speaking of which they need a few new pictures of 'normals' for the photo gallery as most of those people look like their favorite hobby is stocking up canned food and water for the apocalypse. :mrgreen:

But yeah I'd be game for anything.... as long as there is little risk of injury. Missing PAX due to Pre-PAX related injuries would suck. And on the note of outdoor events, there's a small group of us who are going Sea Kayaking on Sunday July 11th, a couple of the people going will be PAXers. If anyone has an interest in giving it a try PM me, we will be doing a beginner run so expertise is not essential.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    I went sea kayaking on Mayne Island last month. Was a lot of fun.

tr0tsky on
    edited June 2009
    Absinthe, I wouldn't be too worried about going up against the regulars. I have a feeling most of the pictures they have up there are from their actual events, thus, the hardcore people.
    If you just get a group of people and join a public game on a Saturday or something, it should be no problem. Usually, there will be a birthday party or something, so there's tons of people who are newbies. They far outnumber the hardcore guys. Plus, they'll always evenly split the teams with newbies and more experienced people.

As for injury, the worst you'll get from a paintball is a bruise. Or maybe if you get hit in the helmet you'll get some paint sprayed through the air vents into your mouth (don't worry, its not actually paint! totally fine for it to be in your mouth).

I'll have to look into july 11 for that. Not sure if I'm free.

Wormdundee on
    edited June 2009
    Lol. Perhaps you misread my post. I wasn't equating paintball to injuries... welts perhaps, but injuries no.

I just meant in terms of any reccomendations, that I'd be up for anything as long as it was unlikely to result in injury. So no rock climbing, golf, sky diving, or deep sea crab fishing (irl or in video game form... both are inhumane). :mrgreen:

Also I'm not shooting down the paintball idea, we actually talked about doing it last year after PAX, but as I indicated some folks were wary of who we'd end up playing against. But judging from our group sizes at the last set of Pre-PAX events, getting 20 people together for the group rental is possible and could alleviate some of those concerns. I think the field we looked at last time was a different one, and didn't have the group rate for a private game. This one looks more promising.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    Ah ok, sweet. Yeah, if we can get 20+ people then a private field would be awesome.

Wormdundee on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh very interesting. I'll be in Van for a wedding prior to Seattle - I may have to convince my gf though =)

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • OgrebeefOgrebeef Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I live near Wings, I'll be going to that for sure.

Ogrebeef on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll be flying into Vancouver on Wednesday and will need something to do that night so definitely in for Wednesday night activities!

Asiina on
  • BadlcukBadlcuk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Helloooooooooooooo Vancouver.

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
    edited June 2009
    Oh, so as a response to some of the events being thrown around...

I am up for the take-over-the-bar thing. Im not sure about the size of most of the bars/clubs here, but in S'toon we (my Society) often do 'takeovers' of rockband/other game nights at local college bars with flatscreens. Its easy to push asshole people out, as well as others who want to join in to the games are usually very social and enjoyable to join the group for the evening.

I am not sure if i could do laser tag, but its an okay idea. The one in Richmond (only one i know of?) is really directed towards children so i think taller people could see over the walls? Also, I have had to quit playing after a short time each time I have gone (which i didnt mind, its cheap) because of my asthma. Anyone who has any sort of asthma I wouldnt really recommend it (because of the smoke? But maybe im just sensitive). Also, when i was a kid the tight spaces totally made me hyperventilate!

As for paintballing, I literally live at the Tsawwassen location which is actually two separate locations by the same company i think. Ive been to both private and public games, and I really didnt enjoy the public one. I am little, and I am not very good, and it was very obvious i was clumsy. A lot of people who are good still play out in public with other good friends and by the end of the day I wasnt the most happy.
    So no rock climbing, golf, sky diving, or deep sea crab fishing (irl or in video game form... both are inhumane).

This is actually funny because I was going to ask if anyone golfs!! Going out to a driving range then back to a clubhouse for beers is something that I think would be a lot of fun. Or if anyone can kind of play, id love to do a group of four one day. I havent played in about 3 years and I have some disadvantages but I know both Access and I both golf!

There is also Vancouver PRIDE this saturday, if anyone is interested in something so short. Im working, but its a good event to know about.

Other events that I think would be good are:
    1. A trip to Horseshoe Bay to rent a boat! I do this every summer and its awesome. Its relatively well priced (more people make it cheaper obviously, and we'd need 4 or +), you dont need a licence of any sort, its VERY simple. You can get out on the water, jump off the boat, fool around, drink a bit, climb up rocks, etc. Its all done by hours rented and what size boat you get. I think we need someone over 25...or some other strange restriction i cant recall...

2. A movie. I like movies so im always biased. I think Harry Potter is coming out next month (though im not the die-hard fan type, ive never read the books). Also, Aug 7th i think is the new G.I.Joe movie.

3. Bowling. I dont know, I like bowling!

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
    edited June 2009
    wow, that was quite the entry, Badlcuk.

As far as laser tagl goes, last year we went to one in North Van and there wasn't any fake smoke or anything. It was also late enough at night that there weren't a lot of really young kids, although there were some high schoolers. My friend Jan and I showed them who was boss though...

I suck at driving (golf), so if that was an option I'd rather pitch & putt because I do decently at that. Bowling is also fun. Rock Band night is always a good option, imo. I think Darby's at 4th/Macdonald still has Rock Band nights on Fridays.

edit: I meant laser tag, not paintball.

tr0tsky on
    edited June 2009
    Well im sorry for being enthusiastic!

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
    edited June 2009
    Badlcuk wrote: »
    I am not sure if i could do laser tag, but its an okay idea. The one in Richmond (only one i know of?) is really directed towards children so i think taller people could see over the walls?

You're just mad you can't see over them. :P

Yeah as Tr0tsky mentioned, Sumi found an awesome Laser Tag place in North Van. It's three levels high and very much designed with teens/adults in mind. Short stature helped in some spaces, as a couple of us were able to find nice camping spots to snipe the other team from. Of course camping was best used only to get a few quick kills while taking a breather.... then you needed to switch back to the "tr0tsky smash!" method. Otherwise the other team would eventually swarm you.

With that in mind you'd probably be fine for the team games, as there isn't a need to run around like a maniac the entire time.

As for golf, I'm also more of a pitch and putt fan as well. I suck horribly at the real thing, and while my temper is not an issue, trying to find where the hell my ball ended up is. Plus I don't have a good pair of silly pants. I think thats most of my problem.

And for the other ideas:
    (1) I can't swim, but the rest sounds like fun, plus I've got the need to be 25 thing covered. Although I haven't had a lot of interest expressed from people about the Sea Kayaking trip up by Bowen Island in two weeks, so I'm not sure how many people we'd get for it.

(2) It's also good to not forget about the Rio Theatre midnight doublefeatures. The movies usally have some geek-cred as an added perk. Sadly almost everyone I know just downloads movies now adays.... accordingly I'm also always up for going to a theatre when I have a chance to.

I understand there is some movie coming out tomorrow that a lot of geek-types are interested in... not sure what it's called :winky: but if anyones heading out to a theatre to see it let me know. My agoraphobic friends don't want to see it untill a week or two from now after "the crowds are thinned a bit".

(3) You mean on the Wii right? :P

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    As far as laser tagl goes,

You might want to edit that one..... again. :P

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    As far as laser tagl goes,

You might want to edit that one..... again. :P

No. I'm a big proponent of Laser Tagl. It's way more fun than boring old Laser Tag.

tr0tsky on
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd be interested in bowling, I think its fun. There's a building here in New West that has 10 pin on the first floor, 5 pin on the second floor, and a pub on the third floor. I can't be out for long stretches, I have a 3 month old that can only go 2 or so hours without me, but I'm at least interested in some of the ideas you guys have :)

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, okay...

I think it's safe to say that a Lazer Tagl night would go over well? It already has once, right? :)
    Let's get that shiz organized.

Rock Band night is guaranteed fun. We need to pick a date.

Absinthe, good reminder on the Rio Theatre. I've grown to love the place. On that note, Second Level Wizards have held a number of geeky events there in the last few months. They're a great bunch... the main organizer is actually the lead singer from Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. I'll be keeping my eye on 'em in the coming weeks.

ACC3SS on
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah I totally forgot about the Rio, they are awesome awesome. I love the horror doublefeatures but fuck i work stupid hours and I would fall asleep an hour in.

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
    edited June 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    Okay, okay...

I think it's safe to say that a Lazer Tagl night would go over well? It already has once, right? :)
    Let's get that shiz organized.

Rock Band night is guaranteed fun. We need to pick a date.

Absinthe, good reminder on the Rio Theatre. I've grown to love the place. On that note, Second Level Wizards have held a number of geeky events there in the last few months. They're a great bunch... the main organizer is actually the lead singer from Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. I'll be keeping my eye on 'em in the coming weeks.

Yeah the ghostbusters event last weekend was definately oozing with geek-cred. On that thought its a pity there isn't a Thickets show in the weeks leading up to PAX. Either way whatever they plan will fit in perfectly with this crowd.

I've added the Laser Tagl night into the OP. Once you pick the date for the Jimz night we can pick one for Laser Tag. We can probably do them the same weekend if enough people are up for it.

And I'm really sorry about the event name... but it had to be done. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, I've missed a whole lot of good discussion here. Definitely down for the Lazer Tagl.

I think a golf outing would be pretty sweet. Either a driving range or one of the many Pitch and Putts in Richmond/Vancouver. A movie night and bowling are good ideas as well. I think the boat thing would be cool but I don't know how many people you would be able to get to come out for that.

Good to see stuff shaping up well.

I'd like to keep the private paintball game open for discussion, but we probably don't have the right amount of people right now to set a date or any such thing.

Wormdundee on
    edited June 2009
    So in an effort to get a rough callender together for the events let me know how these dates sound:

Friday August 21st: Rock Band Night at some bar, somewhere. (Darby's?)
    Saturday August 22nd: Either Laser TagL or Jims Gaming Lounge (depending on scheduling at Jimz)
    Sunday August 23rd: Pitch and Putt (seems like this one is getting a bit of interest)
    Friday August 28th: Either Laser TagL or Jims Gaming Lounge (depending on scheduling at Jimz)
    Sunday August 30th: Dinner event... we can do Chinese Food again like last year, or try something else
    Wednesday September 2nd: PAX FTW! (For The Wings)
    Thursday September 3rd: CST Departs (and the bus group will probably invade Cheesecake Factory for lunch again)

If there is enough interest we can slate paintball in for a Sunday earlier in August. It's more of a daylight event and I'm under the impression it will not be something we can do on an evening during the week. Or we can even postpone it as a Post-PAX event, if people prefer fitting it in when the weather gets a little cooler.

The tough part with the Horseshoe Bay excursion is it will be completely weather dependant. So we'll have to play that by ear.

Everything else: Bowling, Movies, and the Improv Theatre can all be fit in around the other events if enough interest is expressed for any of them. Chibidani: for the bowling alley near you, are there any league nights or such sillyness that we would need to avoid in the scheduling? Or are they pretty much open to a good sized group every evening?

I'm hoping the Rio Midnight Doublefeature on Saturday August 29th will be worth including in the list, but we'll have to see what they end up scheduling for that night.

I'm not too familiar with Darby's or any of the Pitch and Putts, so if anyone wants to take the lead on either of those events, that would be great. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    I'm not too familiar with Darby's or any of the Pitch and Putts, so if anyone wants to take the lead on either of those events, that would be great. :winky:

Taking the lead on Darby's doesn't take a whole lot :P Does that mean I'm volunteering? I guess...the only thing I have to do is call and make sure they still do Rock Band nights I suppose.

tr0tsky on
    edited June 2009
    http://www.luckystrikebowl.ca/
    that's the website for the bowling place here in new west. i looked briefly at the leagues, and the only one that might cause a problem is the 5 pin "closed league" (whatever that means) on wednesday nights at 8:45. so i think we're fine. if we're really serious about bowling, let me know and i can give them a call. i also know that they will reserve lanes for us if we call in advance.

chibidani on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm down for everything except the laser tag.

parabola on
  • OgrebeefOgrebeef Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looking like a good list of events. Laser tag also doesn't quite tickle my fancy.

This will be my first time going to PAX, always wanted to go but work stopped me, now I have the freesom to do it this year.

I have a question, for the Wing night thing in Sept it says DS... what games? I've always wanted an excuse to beef up my ds game collection. What do we all have?

Ogrebeef on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lasertag was so much fun last year!

Everything was a blast, so once again count me in for all three things in the OP!

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited June 2009
    So I got a little sidetracked but I've just updated the OP with the Darby's Rock Band night.

As for the possible Pitch and Putt day. Are we going to look at one of the nice green and proper pitch and putt's, like the one by Stanley Park.... or does everyone prefer the evil (filled with urges to smash windmills with your club) mini golf courses? To continue that thought should we just go all out and hit up Castle Fun Park that day? Mini-Putt, IRL Mario Kart, probably lame Arcade and they also have bowling and batting cages. Apparently "fun" is their middle name. o_O I've never been there myself, but it sounds like it would be fun with a good sized group.
    Sumi wrote: »
    Lasertag was so much fun last year!

Everything was a blast, so once again count me in for all three things in the OP!

Hey, you're back. Haven't seen you post in a while. Starting to think you had gotten too cool to hang out with us. :mrgreen: Got you added.
    chibidani wrote: »
    http://www.luckystrikebowl.ca/
    that's the website for the bowling place here in new west. i looked briefly at the leagues, and the only one that might cause a problem is the 5 pin "closed league" (whatever that means) on wednesday nights at 8:45. so i think we're fine. if we're really serious about bowling, let me know and i can give them a call. i also know that they will reserve lanes for us if we call in advance.

Well there appears to be some interest. If you are volunteering to put it together, just pick any night that isn't taken in the OP that works for you and we'll go from there. So far everyone seems pretty flexible on the nights, as long as we space the events out a bit.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    I've gathered together a few options for the TBA dinner on Sunday August 30th.

As organizing a set group dinner is a bit of a pain in the ass and doing seperate bills for a large group makes the servers cry... I thought that finding a nice all you can eat buffet might be the best solution.

So far I've found a couple options for places that serve unlimited quantities of food at a set price.
    (1) New India Buffet & Restaurant: 805 West Broadway, Vancouver ($15 range)
    (2) Tomokazu Japanese Restaurant: 201-1128 West Broadway, Vancouver ($25 range)
    (3) Davie Mongolian BBQ: 1161 Davie Street, Vancouver ($15 range)
    (4) Seoul House Korean Restaurant: 1215 West Broadway, Vancouver (Sundays 12-4, $15 dollar range)

If anyone knows of any other decent buffet places or has a preference for any of the above listed restaurants, let me know.

Sadly, I keep hearing that the Pacific Buffet is one of the best available.... but that would end up being a very eccentric and expensive choice. Though I guess it means we could do the lunch buffet, then the dinner buffet on the way back.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    I grew up in Abby, I remember when Castle Fun Park was "Wonderland". Then they got a threaten to sue from Paramount Canada's Wonderland and had to change their name :P It's got decent mini golf courses, 2 indoor, 1 outdoor. Its also got go-karts and bumper cars, tho I think those are overpriced. The arcade has seen better days, as not as many arcade games come out now, but its still fun. And its got the whole "get tickets, get prizes" system in play too, which is a great way to load up on sugary candy.

I'll look into bowling later this week, its bed time right now. But sure, I'll organize it :)

chibidani on
    edited June 2009
    I've been to it when it was Wonderland and more recently after the name change to Castle Fun Park. The 2 inside courses are amazing in terms of atmosphere/decoration and whatnot. And of course, if you get a hole in one on the last hole of any of the courses, you get a ticket for a free round!

I never went on the go-karts or bumper cars as they are indeed overpriced. The arcade is alright, I can't remember much of what is in there, but as chibidani said, they are mostly of the variety that produce tickets.

Wormdundee on
    edited July 2009
    I've been to it when it was Wonderland and more recently after the name change to Castle Fun Park. The 2 inside courses are amazing in terms of atmosphere/decoration and whatnot. And of course, if you get a hole in one on the last hole of any of the courses, you get a ticket for a free round!...

Holy fuck holy fuck this place scares the crap out of me. It is one long, awful drive for a handful of nothingness in my opinion. The courses are decorated (very tacky) but if youre looking for a bunch of props dumped on to a minigolf course they got you covered. The arcade is about 90 years old. I remember wanting to play something along the lines of Initial D and i was...aggffgs i was just shocked. Most of their decent machines are broken and they dont generate enough revenue to fix them. Every time I go there its like a giant, run down hotel with maybe 5-6 annoying kids in it, begging to be torn down (Kind of like Circus-Circus...).

That said, for those of you who know me and care, I will not be attending PAX this year and will be missing out on probably a handful (especially the late august, IE: FTW night, dinner...etc) of events. I am leaving back to Uni about the Aug 28th and my school actually starts up on the 3rd :( Pretty lame. If i wasnt a fourth year, Id skip. SOOOOOO i hope more people come out to the events so you guys have a bigger Van crowd in Seattle!

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
    edited July 2009
    ALSO, myself and a few friends will probably be planning some bar or club nights in the future if anyone wants to join us (Aubar, Celebrities, Lick).
    One of my buddies (Came to PAX last year-won the City of Heros tower) is in a band so I am often going downtown to gigs...if anyone is interested. We'll be running the Bourbon on the...13th i think?

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been to it when it was Wonderland and more recently after the name change to Castle Fun Park. The 2 inside courses are amazing in terms of atmosphere/decoration and whatnot. And of course, if you get a hole in one on the last hole of any of the courses, you get a ticket for a free round!...

Holy fuck holy fuck this place scares the crap out of me. It is one long, awful drive for a handful of nothingness in my opinion. The courses are decorated (very tacky) but if youre looking for a bunch of props dumped on to a minigolf course they got you covered. The arcade is about 90 years old. I remember wanting to play something along the lines of Initial D and i was...aggffgs i was just shocked. Most of their decent machines are broken and they dont generate enough revenue to fix them. Every time I go there its like a giant, run down hotel with maybe 5-6 annoying kids in it, begging to be torn down (Kind of like Circus-Circus...).

That said, for those of you who know me and care, I will not be attending PAX this year and will be missing out on probably a handful (especially the late august, IE: FTW night, dinner...etc) of events. I am leaving back to Uni about the Aug 28th and my school actually starts up on the 3rd :( Pretty lame. If i wasnt a fourth year, Id skip. SOOOOOO i hope more people come out to the events so you guys have a bigger Van crowd in Seattle!

Is it some engineering school or what? Most university classes start right after labour day if I recall, especially for my case (BSc Physics).

Anyways, Dear CIC please ship me my updated card ASAP so I can attend this on time. Although this is not likely, but one can hope.

*fingers crossed

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
    edited July 2009
    Most of their decent machines are broken and they dont generate enough revenue to fix them.

So its like every other arcade these days. I miss profitable, clean and upkept arcades. I'm not surprised to hear that about their arcade, especially after going to Gameworks at the last PAX and realizing about a quarter of their machines were broken. I expected more from them since they were promoting their big PAX all you can play night. It was interesting to play their Initial D game only to discover my wheel didn't, uhm, steer.... which is kind of an essential function.

I get the impression most of the Castle Fun Park arcade is prize redemption schemes... I mean games... which are fun in their own tacky, so lame they are funny, way. Especially when you try to cheat and get nasty looks from the staff... who apparently get upset that you are getting enough tickets for your five dollars to "win" a five cent prize.

As for the Go Karts and Mini-Golf. I spent a lot of summers traveling through the US and compared to what is in bigger markets, I've yet to see a non-tacky mini-putt or a non-overpriced go-kart track anywhere in Cascadia. When it comes to those things I have rather low/realistic expectations to start, so its unlikely I'll be disappointed. Though I must admit I won't mind only having to commute downtown or into Richmond if Castle Fun Park gets shot down by the whole group.

However, telling me its bad and lame (and as such has the potential for generating ironic humor and smart-assery) only makes it sound more fun, considering the group we have on the forums. lol.

So so far the votes are 2 for "meh its okay" and 1 for "ZOMG Kill me now!" Sounds awesome to me!. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was at castle fun park and basically all the games we tried to play were broken or ripped us off somehow. After the 3rd time, we just got our money back and left. I think teenagers go there drunk and rowdy and break things.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
This discussion has been closed.