As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alienmastermind's Thread.

2»

• PojPoj Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That dragon is absolutely fantastic. I wish you'd spent a little more time on the key and the chalice, though, since they take up the most real estate on the page.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i understand the joke.

I don't think there's enough contrast between the hero-pixel and the rest of the image for it to work though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • AlienMastermindAlienMastermind Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is my other strip-ette. Enjoy.

Warning, NSFW, and it embiggens the window.
    lid1-1.jpg
    lid2.jpg
    lid3.jpg
    lid4.jpg
    lid5.jpg

AlienMastermind on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The repetition gag can sometimes be funny, this one however isn't working. You need to set it up a bit better than just "random event -> explosion"

Mustang on
    edited May 2009
    It's not to everyone's taste.

This comic is actually not about randomness. It's about constants. And shit getting sploded.

Not everyone likes slapstick.

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    i love slapstick, and you need to start understanding the difference between 'what i'm doing isn't working' and 'it's not to everyone's taste'

ManonvonSuperock on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Big ol' "meh" from me. Your art is solid, but you need to LISTEN to these people if you want to please them. Just doing the same thing over and over, then defending why you did it and essentially saying "I am smart for doing this, you are stupid for not getting it" isn't going to win you any fans.

Why don't you take a specific strip, ask for advice about what would make that strip BETTER, and then make the changes accordingly so that you can begin to understand what it is that they want? Because I think that would be a fantastic idea.

acadia on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, your problem is that your shit's not even remotely humorous and you're blowing off advice every time someone gives it to you because you refuse to acknowledge it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, your problem is that your shit's not even remotely humorous and you're blowing off advice every time someone gives it to you because you refuse to acknowledge it.

I just read this thread from the beginning, got to this post, and wondered why it took so long for anyone to make it.
    Your drawings really aren't bad, but it would help you enormously to actually focus on improving them instead of trying to convince people that the jokes you're attempting to make are funny.

lyrium on
    edited May 2009
    Wait, was I trying to please people in general? Or the people on this forum?

Because, when I'm asking for suggestions elsewhere, most responses are genuinely helpful, and the criticisms more than just fucking 'meh'. I want 'meh' I can get that just about anywhere.

So, here's the deal: The reason I discount most of these guys' suggestions, is they're in the minority. Consistently. They'll shit on whatever I do, unless I break into their house, read their fucking slambooks and write what they've already written. They are the minority opinion of what I do. There's no sense of 'hey, I like this, but this should be better', it's all this beat-poet disaffected internet douchery that I didn't expect to find in the PA forums, but alas, there it is.

I'll post more later, but understand that if your opinion is 'meh' and other folks' opinions are 'RAD!' and your 'meh' is ONE out of A HUNDRED, guess what?

You're either being a dick for some reason, or you don't get it.

Neither of these things is a thing I can help.

I appreciate the comments. And the art is getting better. The jokes aren't to your tastes, I get that.

I can take instruction and criticism, I just don't get the weird non-consensus of the PA forums.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to come over here.

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009

I took your advice to heart about the pixel thing.

I also bought a book on your suggestion, and am using it for redesigns on characters and such.

So, as to being humorous, I understand you don't like it. So...what the fuck? Not remotely humorous? Wow, be a fucking prick, man. That's what makes people receptive to your advice.

Here's some advice for you: Don't read my comic, man. It's not for you.

Alien

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    lid7.jpg

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    Open for suggestions on joke:

Now, this one has already gone up, so, any changes made will have to fit into my schedule. Help me out here with this joke.

'Origins of Evil'
    ds99final.jpg

Actually, using some of the pacing suggestions I've been given before, I switched out panel 2 and 3, panel 2 is the old 3rd panel. I think it works.

And if you don't think it's funny...That's cool. But more than 'meh' helps a ton.

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    Wait, was I trying to please people in general? Or the people on this forum?

Because, when I'm asking for suggestions elsewhere, most responses are genuinely helpful, and the criticisms more than just fucking 'meh'. I want 'meh' I can get that just about anywhere.

So, here's the deal: The reason I discount most of these guys' suggestions, is they're in the minority. Consistently. They'll shit on whatever I do, unless I break into their house, read their fucking slambooks and write what they've already written. They are the minority opinion of what I do. There's no sense of 'hey, I like this, but this should be better', it's all this beat-poet disaffected internet douchery that I didn't expect to find in the PA forums, but alas, there it is.

I'll post more later, but understand that if your opinion is 'meh' and other folks' opinions are 'RAD!' and your 'meh' is ONE out of A HUNDRED, guess what?

You're either being a dick for some reason, or you don't get it.

The jokes aren't to your tastes, I get that.

No, I would not hope you're here to please people. I would hope that you're here to improve as an artist.

If you're looking for "rad!" take your shit to DeviantArt. People come here because this forum is generally populated with adults with assorted levels of experience as professional or studying artists who are willing to take their own time to help others improve.

Of course our opinion is in the minority. The majority of the people here are illustrators, graphic designers, art teachers, art students, etc. If you're building a nuclear reactor, you would ask the opinions of trained contractors and scientists, who in terms of the general public, are in the minority.

However, when the people here take their time to give you serious and well-thought-out feedback on why the humor or art isn't working and you're response is along the lines of: "It's funny, you just don't get it." or "the joke's not to your tastes" It shows that you're ignoring the feedback because of your own ego bloated by whatever hundreds of chumps are telling you "rad!"

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    Okay...Well-thought feedback on composition is useful.

Well-thought out feedback on humor, being subjective, isn't really. I don't mean to come off as an egotist, but I will say that lots of folks do like the jokes. Shit, man, if you think I am thinking you're an idiot for disagreeing, that's DEFINITELY not the case, here. I think a LOT about the comments on the art, and when it's a technical difference of opinion (in the case of backgrounds being dynamic vs. static, lighting) I try and implement the things you guys are saying. The humor thing, though...I don't know...

The difference, I think, is if I were building something like a nuclear reactor, there's one objective way to teach one how to build it properly.

If I'm telling dick and fart jokes, and you don't like dick and fart jokes, no matter the construction, ultimately, the finished product on the jokes is going to be subjective. And if I disagree with that, it's just my tastes and my sense of humor. If, on the other hand, you're talking sentence structure or timing, I listen (and use what you say). If I think the joke works, I usually put it up.

If your response is: That's not funny.
    And another's response is: I thought it was funny.
    And my own thought is: It's funny to me, and I hope others.
    The fact is, it's funny to some people, and not others. I'm not saying you don't get it, nor do I think that's a good thing that you don't like it...but I don't think that it's necessarily unfunny.

It's just a dick move to say that without question or debate the comic isn't funny. Again, I didn't come here for an ego stroke, but courtesy and civility aren't too much to ask, no?

(I should have my fucking head examined for typing something like that on the internet, but there you go, I'm an optimist. :) )

And, I don't think the people who like my comic are chumps. Or any of the people who are worse than me at things, or any of you guys for criticizing me, or giving me pointers.

AlienMastermind on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder what kind of forums you're showcasing this on? Understand that every community has its own ways of looking at things. the PA:AC is technical in nature (thats not to say we can't be anything else), so the way we're gonna look at it is from a technical point of view. Maybe the other communities have a different nature than we do and thusly has a different way of analyzing things.

You're right, if the majority of the people out there enjoy a comic with exploding panels, by all means draw for your audience. But I have to stop and wonder, why someone who is such a defender of discarding a minority opinion insists on fighting the majority in this forum?

Draw what your audiene wants, but don't discard the opinion of the minority so quickly. The most interesting turns a life can take are the unexpected ones.

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2009
    Magic Toaster, fantastic post, and yeah, I do take the technical opinions here completely seriously, and I'm trying to use the pointers here (even the techniques suggested about the comics).

The network my comic is hosted on (in the link) Colony of Gamers, mostly fans of gaming culture, PC and Console gaming etc.

Another forum over at invisionfree, and another artist's forum over at greenronin.com.

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    Okay...Well-thought feedback on composition is useful.

Well-thought out feedback on humor, being subjective, isn't really.

...and when it's a technical difference of opinion (in the case of backgrounds being dynamic vs. static, lighting) I try and implement the things you guys are saying. The humor thing, though...I don't know...

The difference, I think, is if I were building something like a nuclear reactor, there's one objective way to teach one how to build it properly.

If I'm telling dick and fart jokes, and you don't like dick and fart jokes, no matter the construction, ultimately, the finished product on the jokes is going to be subjective. And if I disagree with that, it's just my tastes and my sense of humor. If, on the other hand, you're talking sentence structure or timing, I listen (and use what you say). If I think the joke works, I usually put it up.

It's just a dick move to say that without question or debate the comic isn't funny.

I now understand your problem. You are viewing humor as more subjective than visual art. Ultimately both fields are subjective; people can like or dislike jokes or paintings regardless of whether they're shit or masterpieces. However, both fields have widely accepted views on what is and isn't successful in their construction, and both can be viewed and criticized objectively.

Boring shit explaining the objective views of humor:
    There's extensive writing and studies in both fields, and when I say "this joke isn't funny," I mean "this joke is poorly constructed in regards to widely accepted theories of humor." It is the same as when I say "this painting isn't good" and I mean "this painting is poorly constructed in regards to widely accepted theories of visual art composition."

Looking around online, this best summarizes the information I've studied on the subject.

To sum it up, the most widely accepted views on humor, the incongruity model and the cognitive-shift model, both are based on the idea that people find humor in something that is unexpected or out of place. In both, as a writer, you set up an expectation for the reader, and you provide something unexpected. The contrast is what causes the joke to be funny, and as the writer, you balance the contrast by controlling the level of expectation and the degree of deviation.

In these, you have to take into consideration each person's base of knowledge. (Will Eisner's instructional books are an excellent resource on this.) Obviously you're shooting towards an audience with a base of knowledge that includes contemporary western video games. That's fine.

Even though I normally don't personally like video game comics, I do share that base of knowledge and am able to objectively critique the construction of the joke as well as the art. In a recent conversation here, I mentioned that I normally don't dig digital painting. However, I can still objectively comment on the linear structure and color composition of a work in the medium. Same idea.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll say this one time only, most people are batshit fucking morons. There are about 20 people I would take a "rad" comment to actually mean "rad", and not "It's a bit shit, but I don't want to be mean, so i'll just say "rad" to make you feel good about yourself." Of those 20 people, 95% of them are posters here. I post here because I get honest feedback.

A ratio of good to bad comments is not a clear indicator of how good your comic is. I've seen some absolutley fucking horrendous artists on Deviant Art (if you could call them artists, more like mentally retarded monkeys with access to pencils) who have thousand upon thousands of positive comments and maybe 3 negative ones. They assume they are great because of the mass of positivity, they never improve or strive for more, they just assume they are great because they surround themselves with people who don't tell them the truth.

It can be a harsh environment here on the AC, but you can always count on us for an honest answer. Sure sometimes we are foaming at the mouth assholes, but it's usually only towards those who discount help or critique when it's offered to them.

Mustang on
    edited May 2009
    Thanks guys for understanding what I was trying to say, and failing at.

And I'm not a thickie when it comes to the construction of a joke. Though, it's getting better. For example the above comic right now is in the running for the Weekly Webcomic A-Jig thing at Joystiq. Granted, it's a bit arch for normal comic jokes (the Karate Kid panel takes both knowledge of Kirby AND Karate Kid to get, so it's like a 'joke for three' minus two), it reached an audience.

The unexpected third panel thing is something I did with Monday's comic:
    'In a Theological Context, Pac-Man Scares the Shit Out Of Me'

ds100final.jpg

The art is dodgy on this one, because I was hurrying to put it up, the wife and I just closed on our house and we're moving in.

Thanks for any comments/critiques/suggestions.

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    @Superock -- Read link...now I understand something I didn't before; I am building a nuclear plant, whereas I thought I was building a treehouse. Construction of jokes needs more to it.

Very, very, very helpful and good read. I'm not a fan of Freud's 'everything is repression' kind of psycho-analysis, but I do think it goes a long way to explain the 'Tragedy+Time = Humor' thing....Wow. I apologize if I come off as 'I know better than you' when I respond. I get defensive, but who was it who said 'Murder your darlings' when talking about editorial use? I can't remember it now, but I am learning to do that more and more.

Thanks again for the link.

Edit: In addition, it does a great job of defining why I don't find clowns funny. But, I do find intentionally bad humor funny...

Alien

AlienMastermind on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OK, the subject of subjectivity has been discussed! All parties seem happy, lets continue talking about something else.

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2009
    falloftheturtles.jpg

Here's my entry into the TMNT contest.

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    ... I'm not a fan of Freud's 'everything is repression' ...

Yeah, Freud's a fucking joke in nearly everything he wrote about.

As for your last comic, I found slight novel entertainment in the Every Which Way but Loose reference, and you're trying harder at cognitive construction of jokes instead of "I think this is funny, I'll draw it." That's good.

However, I think you're relying on obscure/pop culture references too much, and you're jokes suffer from it.

I think you'd benefit by trying to construct some strips without popculture references at all. Take a few mundane situations and try to get good strips out of them.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    How about today's strip?

It's called 'Concessions Will Undoubtedly Be Made'

ds101final.jpg

I agree with you on the referential humor stuff, I've actually picked up a few seminar-audio mp3s done by George Carlin from his campus tour...it was like after-show QandA...some of which was done on his 40 years of comedy HBO special, when he was interviewed by Jon Stewart. Referential humor can't just be 'Wasn't x great?' like that sketch with Chris Farley from SNL...though it is how my sense of humor rolls to, but I do get satisfaction when I come up with something that doesn't reference something else.

The thing is, I do have to reference things about gaming in my comic....any suggestions?

Here's one not about video games. It's about the Family Circus.

ds92final.jpg

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    Did you hear Microsoft's trying to make a Magic Wand? It's true.

ds102final.jpg

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    ... they're not laid out in an optimal way, panels and word bubbles are small, while there is huge empty areas of black. Seems like the compositions could be much more well organized. If you took away all that extra dead space you wouldn't need to waste 11 by 17 worth of area for just 5 panels. Oh and the blurring just looks pretty bad to me.

...try to be more effective with the composition and text.

These suffer from the same problem compositionally, and they only have three panels.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    The black to panel ratio thing has to do with my site's background (which I wanted as plain-Jane as possible) To fix this issue is really simple, which is to save the files as PNG, and then drop them onto the site.

The black areas are large, but sometime today, I'll put up a PNG version of the panels above.

Compositionally in the panels though, I keep it to two-shots mainly, though Will Eisner's book 'Sequential Art' has me thinking about asymmetrical composition of panels and doing other things for the flow of the comic.

What else would you suggest other than the PNG thing? I'll have one up later to show you what I mean.

AlienMastermind on
    edited May 2009
    File type or not, you'll still have the problem of having a column of arbitrary-shaped panels, seemingly arbitrary distances apart, with word balloons jutting way the hell out to the sides -doubling, if not tripling, the necessary content-to-dead-space ratio.

Compose your panels so that they can contain art and lettering together. When you choose your panel placement and size, make it a cognitive decision. Now, it looks arbitrary. Be concerned with the gutter space, and the placement of text for readability.

Also, your lettering is too small to comfortably read, and too small in relation to your word balloons, leaving too much white space at the top and bottom of your balloons.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    Okay...I'm sorry, I didn't get a chance to respond as I've been in the hospital getting my appendix removed. :)

But, Supes, I took your advice, tell me what you think of today's comic:

ds106final.jpg

I actually started using your suggestions last week with Wednesday's comic, and it's actually helped my rankings A LOT over at isitfunnytoday.com, so let me say I sincerely appreciate your help in the layout matter.

Here's Wednesday's...
    ds104final.jpg

Here's Friday's...it's not about games.
    ds105final.jpg

Also, do you like the hand-drawn balloons or the prefab ones? Just curious.

AlienMastermind on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i do sort of feel that the jokes smack of "penny arcade"
    now... i know it's kind of hard to avoid that when you're writing about video games...and when you're posting on the penny arcade forums. they sort of found that niche and really kind of molded it into what it is.
    but you definitely have the same set up. two guys that like video games, one is kinda dumb, the other is a much better spoken character.
    your art style is similar as well, that stephen silver character design thing. not really a bad thing, my work has some silver influence in it as well, it's hard to not be influenced by the guy
    but i do feel the combination of similar characters, themes, pacing and art style culminate in a very penny arcade feel. I think over time and with practice it'll start to move more into your own style.

that being said, i got a chuckle out of the koopa in high school one.

beavotron on
    edited June 2009
    The similarities are there, I know. But if you head back to the site, you can see where Den (the fat guy) isn't a constant buffoon. He is a little more into video games as a whole than Vic (the blonde guy).

As for drawing style, I'm trying to adopt a merge of the Hanna Barbera style that was juiced up by John Kricfalusi when he did his Yogi Bear stuff....But, it's also not easy to draw a webcomic about gaming and not have a PA influence. It's like a mafia flick without at least a little Godfather influence. :) Luckily you guys are really good at giving constructive criticism when it comes to the art.

The joke construction is part of the thing I'm learning more and more about as I go on. Initially it was setup-setup-punch, and then I listened to a few of the podcasts that Jerry and Mike have up (read: all of them *sheepish grin*), and got a feel for how they do it. Since, other than the CAD guy's book (which I haven't bought yet, but am thinking about) on webcomicking, there aren't a lot of handbooks out there for funny gaming comics I was using the structure of PA for a guideline. I guess I'm still trying to get a little more brave with the setups.

Edit: Also, I think Jerry's love of English and writing mirrors my own, though I don't find myself as more than a yeoman when it comes to sentence-craft and joke-mancy yet. This also lends itself to making similar observations about games. I'm trying to wean myself off of it, and also lose the early-webcomickers' 'I'm so damned smart' vibe that seems to put new readers off. (That's why I put Den in there, to be a buffoon sometimes, to take the piss out of the comic.)

Though, the 'Missing Link' one is my first foray into 'unexpected punchlines'.

Edit: It's also a makeup/do-over for the 'How Do, Ken' one that's become famous at the Joystiq Weekly Webcomic Wrapup for the worst pun in history.

And the JJ Abrams one is definitely a 'Gabe-type' punchline, but it was from a conversation I had with a friend of mine about the recent Trek flick. Since Abrams did make me into a full-on nerd...because now I think Spock is one of the most fascinating characters in that universe.

Thanks, beav for your comments, I really appreciate it, and I will hope to have an entry for fancy hats this time around. :) .

AlienMastermind on
    edited June 2009
    Hey, Beav, actually, looking at the Steve Silver site, I can see why you'd say that about the style of the comic, I had no idea he had his fingers in so many pies, artistically speaking. And, like an ass, I didn't realize his painted style looks an awful lot like the John K. stuff I admire so much.

Though, I would say I tend to keep my faces more 'open', like Seth McFarlane's designs, but again, the similarities (ESPECIALLY in my version of Man From Another Place) are definitely striking, though not exactly intentional. :)

AlienMastermind on
    edited June 2009
    those hand-drawn balloons are definitely a swing and a miss. -especially in that Star Trek comic.

just because you're drawing them by hand doesn't mean that you can arbitrarily slap them in there. You need to balance balloon shape-to-word shape and positive/negative space just as much as if you're using a shape tool to create them.

If you're going to do "hand-drawn" balloons, to learn to make it look good will actually take much more practice and effort than if you were to learn to use vector-shape balloons correctly.

Also, you need to work on consistency with your characters' proportions. Again, especially in that Star Trek comic, if you were to look at the silhouette of each of the five instances between the two characters, they would read as five completely different characters. Exaggerate only when necessary for effect, and then when you do, it will have greater impact.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    New comics...these are using a few tools I found online and a book recently purchased on Manonvon's recommendation. They're three 'Helpful Hints' strips for casual gamers.

How to Spot the Surprise Villain Early
    ds112final.jpg

How to Spot the Doomed Character Early
    ds113final.jpg

Are You the Hero of Prophecy?
    ds114final.jpg

AlienMastermind on
    edited June 2009
    Yet another strip...It's about the fact that Ronnie James Dio has been replaced by Tim Curry in Brutal Legend.

It's called 'Definitely Brutal'.

ds115final.jpg

AlienMastermind on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The fact that you have to explain what the comic is about to your readers is not a very good thing. On top of that, it still doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense even after an explanation, at least to me anyway. It's just weird because your making references to things I know and love, taking place within a videogame environment that I am fairly knowledgeable in, yet I feel like I'm not getting it.

Jokes and dialog aside, these panel layouts just aren't doing it for me. It's like they're really not that well thought out compositionally, and the lack of any sort of dynamics in the angles makes reading comics such as these an extremely hohum experience.

I don't mean to be such a negative nancy, but it seems like you're having a lot of the same issues that were also present in your earlier comics. Maybe try to do something a little more drastic to mix it up.

earthwormadam on
    edited June 2009
    why is the gutter width slightly larger between panels one and two than it is between 3 and 4? why is panel 2 a couple of pixels to the right? neither looks intentional, they both just look lazy.

...and trying to make a joke about Tim Curry being too effeminate or whatever for the role based on his role in rocky horror is pretty weak -especially considering that most view him favorably from rocky horror, he was the fucking meanest-looking-Satan-ever in Legend, and he is an accomplished voice actor with almost 20 years of experience, including getting booted from the role of The Joker for being too scary.

ManonvonSuperock on