As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So does anyone else here watch Antiques Roadshow?

TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Social Entropy++
Between my personal love of history and the fact that we only get the local stations in the break room at work, I've spent many a lunch break watching antiques roadshow.

I've seen a woman discover a small painting that she was keeping in her bathroom was worth $120,000.

I've seen a woman discover an antique table she thought was worth ten grand was actually a fake work about 1k.

But something no one has ever seen on the show before was something quite this big:
Reuters wrote:
First $1 million find for U.S. Antiques Roadshow

Claudia Parsons Claudia Parsons – Tue Jun 30, 1:31 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A woman who inherited some Chinese carved jade from her father has scored the first $1 million (601,557 pounds) appraisal from experts on the U.S. television program "Antiques Roadshow," the producers said on Monday.

In a record for the show, four pieces of Chinese carved jade and celadon from the Chien Lung Dynasty (1736-1795), including a large bowl crafted for the Emperor, were given a conservative auction estimate of up to $1.07 million.

"For 13 years, we've been hoping to feature a million-dollar appraisal on 'Antiques Roadshow;' it's been our 'Great White Whale,'" executive producer Marsha Bemko said.

"We're thrilled that, despite this year's slow economy, 'Roadshow' finally captured this elusive trophy," she said in a statement released by Boston-based production company WGBH, which licensed the format from the British show of the same name produced by the BBC.

On both shows, members of the public bring in items to be appraised by professionals in the hope of discovering that junk from the attic is actually a valuable treasure.

A spokeswoman said the appraisal was a record for the U.S. show, which is not affiliated with the BBC original. According to British media, the BBC's version had its first million pound appraisal ($1.655 million) last November -- a scale model of Anthony Gormley's artwork, "The Angel of the North."

The statement said the owner of the jade inherited the collection from her father, who bought the objects in the 1930s and 1940s, while stationed in China as a military liaison.

She brought them to an "Antiques Roadshow" event in Raleigh, North Carolina on Saturday.

Asian arts appraiser James Callahan said the fine quality of the pieces indicated they were not made for tourists.

"He was rewarded by finding a mark on the bottom of the jade bowl that translates as 'by Imperial order,'" the statement said.

The previous highest appraisal on the show was a 1937 painting by American Abstract Expressionist artist Clyfford Still, found in Palm Springs, California, in 2008. The painting had been given a retail estimate of $500,000.

The appraisal of the jade items will be shown in the next series of "Antiques Roadshow" starting January 4 on PBS, the producers said.

Linkety link y'all.

So, anyone else enjoy this program?

If not, this can be a general thread about history or PBS or something.

TheySlashThem on

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, I'm straight.

Hunter on
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love this show.

I don't have cable, so I watch the PBS channels quite a bit.

I really like Create. I can watch cooking shows all day. Especially Simply Ming and Rick Bayless.

Also Bob Ross.

Love watching some Joy of Painting.

mcp on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dont get antiques

so they say some thing is worth a million bucks
    now how do i go about finding that one dude whose gonna pay a million bucks for my crap

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Air wrote: »
    i dont get antiques

now how do i go about finding that one dude whose gonna pay a million bucks for my crap

Everything is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Hunter on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like

nova.

Randall_Flagg on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited June 2009
    Antiques Roadshow in the UK has quite a distinctive and memorable tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhgygVAH6KQ

we had a surreal moment the other week in my flat, we were sitting in the living room and we started talking about how lame antiques roadshow is and then I started singing the theme tune and everyone else joined in singing different instruments and then we finished it and all looked at each other and started laughing uncontrollably

bongi on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dont get antiques

Get it on Antiques Roadshow

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dont get antiques

Put it up for auction. The people that run the show know what to do if you want to sell.

Those Jade carvings sound like they should be in a museum.

mcp on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I saw a dude on there once with, I think it was a genuine Walter Payton jersey. Worn in multiple games, stained with dirty and mud. Stitched up in a spot where he'd ripped it. It was awesome.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Druhim thread.

Bad-Beat on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've watched on occasion. Sometimes it's neat to learn about old junk.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2009
    man all my shit barely has sentimental value

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mcp wrote: »
    i dont get antiques

Put it up for auction. The people that run the show know what to do if you want to sell.

Those Jade carvings sound like they should be in a museum.

Dr. Jones. Again we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.

JoeUser on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I saw a dude on there once with, I think it was a genuine Walter Payton jersey. Worn in multiple games, stained with dirty and mud. Stitched up in a spot where he'd ripped it. It was awesome.

gale sayers

and it was awesome

PiptheFair on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this show is good with lemonade

Swill on
    edited June 2009
    this show is pretty boring. it's antiques for chrissakes.

Bad-Beat on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its awesome when somebody finds their shit is actually a forgery.

You get to watch their dreams get crushed right before your eyes.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited June 2009
    or when someone gets told their stuff would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars

if only they hadnt stored it incorrectly or slightly messed with it and ruined it

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited June 2009
    There is only one antiques related show worth watching.
    lovejoy.jpg

Bad-Beat on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

gale sayers

and it was awesome

Ah ok. I couldn't remember the player for sure. Thanks Pip.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

gale sayers

and it was awesome

Ah ok. I couldn't remember the player for sure. Thanks Pip.

it was in his attic and it had sayers' blood and mud on it and I was pretty much like fuck yeah

PiptheFair on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    antiques road show is a great fucking show.

Metzger Meister on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love it, as I love PBS. And I'm not even a Yank! My favourite recent memory of the show is some woman who brought in like a nine panel, sixteen foot silk screen Chinese tapestry from the 16th century, all taken aback that it was worth tens of thousands of dollars, where it had been previously growing mold in her basement.

I don't know bout y'all, but if I've got multiple feet of silk tapestry, I'm thinking I'd just assume it was worth some change.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    or when someone gets told their stuff would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars

if only they hadnt stored it incorrectly or slightly messed with it and ruined it

Man, that must suck so much to hear. If it happened to me I'd rather they lie and tell me that it was a worthless pile of crap to begin with.

Slicer on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah. I have a cavalry sabre from the late 1700's which I'm fairly sure I've fucked into non-worth by attempting to take some of the wear off. Le sigh.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the two coolest things I've seen so far were some paycheck stubs used and signed by mickey mantle from a team he played for before he hit the majors and a collection of late 18th/early 19th century chinese jade snuff bottles

TheySlashThem on
  • JaspersJaspers Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    mcp wrote: »
    I love this show.

I don't have cable, so I watch the PBS channels quite a bit.

I really like Create. I can watch cooking shows all day. Especially Simply Ming and Rick Bayless.

Also Bob Ross.

Love watching some Joy of Painting.

Exactly! And I also love to watch Bob Ross!

Jaspers on
    The worst thing about loving you is watching you love someone else.
    Create a website for free.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would like to see Harrison Ford on the show.

Yes that god skull you stole from the old Inca tomb? Actually a forgery......

Blake T on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    this show is fun to watch when you're really sick and all sprawled on the couch and the marathon of How Its Made is over

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I always used to try and catch this when it was on the BBC

Love when little old ladies find out something is worth a lot and now can afford heating bills; it's so sweet

Janson on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fucking hell Nine isn't showing this anymore in Australia I don't think?

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50