As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want a new PC game to play

2»

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basically it's an indie game (developed in Chile, which surprises me even more) which centres around first person hand-to-hand brawling. It's probably the best implementation of first person melee combat I've ever seen, everything has a real sense of weight and impact, and the controls work extremely well. There are so many ways they could have messed up and made a crappy fighting game with unwieldy mechanics, and the fact that they sidestepped those potholes is impressive enough on its own, especially for a first time dev.

Try the demo, it should give you a good idea what it's like.

Also, the story and setting is absolutely fruit loops.

subedii on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Also, the story and setting is absolutely fruit loops.
    Deep storyline
    Players will play the role of Ghat; the son of a impressive hermaphrodite creature called Father-Mother, whose children form the most powerful clan in the city of Halstedom. Ghat must escape from his family and start an incredible journey with his female companion Deadra, who will aid him in the dangerous lands of Zenozoik.

What in the fuck were they smoking when they came up with this shit and where do I get some.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I recommend The Orange Box

I think its like $30 on steam, and you get five f'n games. Check that.. five of the best f'n games to ever be games. Half-Life 2 with Eps 1&2 (One of, if not THE best game or FPS ever made), Portal (greatness beyond all comprehension) and Team Fortress 2(Fun ass multiplayer experience)

Left 4 Dead would also be a good choice if you're lookin for a good multiplayer time.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've played The Orange Box, which was great, as well as Doom 3, which was not.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of run-and-gun, so I'm hesitant with regards to Crysis. To me, it looks like another generic "Kill aliens in your power armor" type of game, but if the storyline or at least the atmosphere is really any good, I may give it a shot.

Team Fortress 2 looks fun, but years of Unreal Tournament and Counterstrike really burned me out on multiplayer shooters.

I'm afraid I'll have the same problem with Mass Effect as I did with Fallout 3. I really just don't think RPGs are for me. Also, if anyone suggests an MMO, I will cut you.

The other suggestions I'll look into, thanks guys!

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok so you don't want run and gun, and dont want shooter/RPG

Not really many choices in that area tbh as most games switch between action or dialogue and are rarely a combination of both.

Crysis is refreshingly suprising when you actually play it.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of run-and-gun, so I'm hesitant with regards to Crysis. To me, it looks like another generic "Kill aliens in your power armor" type of game, but if the storyline or at least the atmosphere is really any good, I may give it a shot.

If you play Crysis and that's how it goes, you're doing it wrong.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »

Not really many choices in that area tbh as most games switch between action or dialogue and are rarely a combination of both.

Well, like I said, my favorite games tend to be action/adventure like Thief, Prince of Persia, GTA, Beyond Good and Evil, etc. And it's not that I don't like shooters at all, it's just that the shooters that I have enjoyed in the past (Bioshock, Half Life 2, Deus Ex) have always had a bit more substance than "Run around and kill shit".

If Crysis is more than running around and killing shit, I'll check it out.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cough.

Dawn of War 2

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »

Well, like I said, my favorite games tend to be action/adventure like Thief, Prince of Persia, GTA, Beyond Good and Evil, etc. And it's not that I don't like shooters at all, it's just that the shooters that I have enjoyed in the past (Bioshock, Half Life 2, Deus Ex) have always had a bit more substance than "Run around and kill shit".

If Crysis is more than running around and killing shit, I'll check it out.

it`s definitely more than run and gun. There are tons of tactics and ways to tackle each fight. You can be Predator, Rambo, punch and throw guys to death, plow in with a hummer, sneak around, invade from the sea...
    The powers of the nano suit give you a hell lot of options.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've played The Orange Box, which was great, as well as Doom 3, which was not.

Hahahah, storyline. Crysis' storyline is basically "We've found something buried under this Island OH CRAP IT'S FREEZY ALIENS GET THEM OFF ME AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!" and then the ice comes.

Crysis is more about freestyle FPS gameplay where you're essentially dumped onto whole maps and assigned objectives to complete, and it's completely up to you as to how you complete them. It's an FPS, but very non-linear and as such plays very differently from most other FPS's since it's up to you how you go about things. So I don't know whether that appeals or not. I'm guessing it might not be for you if you're not into FPS's.

EDIT: This video gets frequently referenced, so I might as well add it in to give you an idea:

Team Fortress 2 looks fun, but years of Unreal Tournament and Counterstrike really burned me out on multiplayer shooters.

TF2 is very different from either of those games. The whole aesthetic and design is based around fun, it was probably the first online FPS to really get me hooked. When I bought Orange Box, I didn't even consider it, I was just getting it for Episode 2 and Portal. Team Fortress? Isn't that that ridiculously hardcore online FPS where people bounce around like rocket jumping Rambo rabbits?

All that changed when I tried the beta, I can honestly say I've had fun with the game even when we're loosing. The gameplay and the classes are designed in such a way that they complement each other, and as long as you're doing your job you feel like you're helping out your team.

Since you've already got the game, I'd recommend jumping on with us on the PA servers sometime, if you're really worried let people know you're new and they'll be happy to show you the ropes.
    I'm afraid I'll have the same problem with Mass Effect as I did with Fallout 3. I really just don't think RPGs are for me.

The other suggestions I'll look into, thanks guys!

Well ME is really different to Fallout 3, and the combat's a lot more immediate. The writing's much better too. I'd recommend it if you've ever been into sci-fi Space Opera's.

On the flipside, the sidequest worlds can be a bit on the repetitive side if you choose to do them, and you're still going to be collecting lewt and changing out your weapons and mods every mission, so I don't know how well that's going to gell with you. The inventory interface for this is also pretty annoying, especially when you want to sell off a load of stuff.

subedii on
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With all of the STALKER recommendations in this thread, it begs me to ask the question. Has the Steam version been fixed to work with the current Nvidia display drivers (186.18)? I recall having huge problems when I first bought the game, and had to revert to ooolllldddd fucking drivers to get it to work properly. It probably had more to do with the display drivers themselves, rather than the game, but I've been hesitant to even boot up to see. Answers appreciated in advance :) I'd love to finally dive into this game. Also, any mods, etc., that I should look into?

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, nVidia drivers are really problematic these days.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I seem to be incredibly lucky with driver issues - even though I run at 9800, I've never had any issues with NVidia's driver.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I tapped out..

I gave up on PC gaming...got tired of trying to keep up with everything. I just stick to my 360 now. I do miss not having mods for Oblivion..and I can't have any mods for Fallout 3. I still can play my fave valve games, but I also miss out on the user generated content for those too.

Ah well.. at least I don't have to worry about system requirements!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the update, friend.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    VorelicVorelic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You should def. get a copy of Fallout 3, one of my favorite PC games now. I dunno about Mass Effect haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Vorelic on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mass Effect, because you can finally fulfill mankind's ultimate dream: To explore strange new worlds, find one filled with a race of open minded lesbians, and have sex with them. (I am not making this up.)

EDIT: Oh yeah and get The Witcher, because your mother sucks dwarf cock.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    IDDQD wrote: »
    With all of the STALKER recommendations in this thread, it begs me to ask the question. Has the Steam version been fixed to work with the current Nvidia display drivers (186.18)?
    I saw this post and thought "Hey, new drivers are out? Awesome!" Then I spent the next 2 hours just trying to get my PC to boot. I don't think the problem is with STALKER for once.

Monger on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I agree with Ducom. I don't see any reason why you can't come play Team Fortress 2 with the rest of us.

TF2 is happiness.

One of us. One of us.

But really, I burned myself out of online FPS's awhile ago, CS, DoD, and TFC (heh.) But I got sucked into TF2 hard. It really is a ton of fun, there is a pretty good community around these parts for it.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I keep seeing talk of STALKER in various threads and am interested in buying the game, but which is better? Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So I keep seeing talk of STALKER in various threads and am interested in buying the game, but which is better? Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky?
    Neither is better. Clear Sky was a step sideways.

It's still best to start with Shadow of Chernobly, though.
    Monger wrote: »
    IDDQD wrote: »
    With all of the STALKER recommendations in this thread, it begs me to ask the question. Has the Steam version been fixed to work with the current Nvidia display drivers (186.18)?
    I saw this post and thought "Hey, new drivers are out? Awesome!" Then I spent the next 2 hours just trying to get my PC to boot. I don't think the problem is with STALKER for once.
    Aaaaaaand the video card is dead. Sad Monger is sad and poor.

Monger on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I agree with Ducom. I don't see any reason why you can't come play Team Fortress 2 with the rest of us.

TF2 is happiness.

One of us. One of us.

But really, I burned myself out of online FPS's awhile ago, CS, DoD, and TFC (heh.) But I got sucked into TF2 hard. It really is a ton of fun, there is a pretty good community around these parts for it.

Plus, unlike just about any other online FPS game ever, Team Fortress 2 is incredibly funny.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'd stear clear of Clear Sky. It's filled with, uh... great ideas? Too bad they don't really work. I don't mean like "they sounded good on paper, but they don't work well in practice." I mean they don't function.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

I'd stear clear of Clear Sky. It's filled with, uh... great ideas? Too bad they don't really work. I don't mean like "they sounded good on paper, but they don't work well in practice." I mean they don't function.

Nah, that's too harsh, CS is still good and fun, even with the bugs and broken factions

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Team Fortress 2 looks fun

TF2 is fun. Plus, as an added bonus, by playing on the PA servers, you'll be playing against fellow forumers. You'll be playing the game with people who care.
    ...about killing you.
    ...in so many horrible ways.
    It's great, I swear.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

TF2 is fun. Plus, as an added bonus, by playing on the PA servers, you'll be playing against fellow forumers. You'll be playing the game with people who care.
    ...about killing you.
    It's great, I swear.

Most fun ive had is with the PA servers. Always a good group of folks on there that are there just to have fun.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Man, what? Like, literal dwarf bj?

pantsy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    pantsy wrote: »

Man, what? Like, literal dwarf bj?

Elimination on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Even if you don't buy Team Fortress 2, watch the little "Meet the..." videos the devs made.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-meet-team-fortress/33023

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to have to vote for Bloodlines, Crysis and Team Fortress 2 as well.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TF2 is the Scientology of the PA forums. His only request is basically that the game have an engaging story or atmosphere, and these goons show up to get him playing a multiplayer shooter.

A fascinating art style and a good game, don't get me wrong; but I don't think it seems to be at all what he's looking for.

I will second (third? fourth?!) Mass Effect, because I really loved the whole game, especially the story. I don't play many games through repeatedly, but I'm on my third (I think?) ME game now. If you enjoy Sci Fi, you will enjoy it.

EDIT: And if you can stand a horror/shooter, Dead Space has great atmosphere. I think I heard the PC version was well done too.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited June 2009

Nah, that's too harsh, CS is still good and fun, even with the bugs and broken factions
    Honestly, CS doesn't have any more or less bugs than SoC. It's just buggy in different places.

And yes, I will also vouch for Dead Space. And V:tM:Bloodlines. And The Witcher.

Monger on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Honestly, CS doesn't have any more or less bugs than SoC. It's just buggy in different places.

Which means it is a crapshoot which will work better for you. I ran SoC just fine and CS crashes to desktop every half an hour. Others have the exact opposite. These games are from the Twilight Zone or something when it comes to silly bugs (eg: CS homing AI grenades, which are fixed by changing like 2 characters in a text file) - too bad, since they are #2 and #3 favorite games of all time for me after Deus Ex.

big l on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    big l wrote: »

Which means it is a crapshoot which will work better for you. I ran SoC just fine and CS crashes to desktop every half an hour. Others have the exact opposite. These games are from the Twilight Zone or something when it comes to silly bugs (eg: CS homing AI grenades, which are fixed by changing like 2 characters in a text file) - too bad, since they are #2 and #3 favorite games of all time for me after Deus Ex.

they're still an unforgettably awesome experience.

and I love PC Dead Space, just finished it, great game and a very well done port.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

...about killing you.
    It's great, I swear.

Most fun ive had is with the PA servers. Always a good group of folks on there that are there just to have fun.

Well, have fun and whine.
    TF2 rules with PA folks. Theme games on low-player count servers are the icing on the cake.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg