As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Merlin... WTF?

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wasn't merlin supposed to be aging backwards? How can they justify him regular aging in this?

No. This is something T.H. White used in the Once and Future King. It's not referenced in Le Morte d'Arthur or any of the Merlin fragments that predate it. Ironically, those complaining about the source of Merlin's magic being an inborn trait rather then from wise learning are also wrong. The older stories in which we draw the character of Merlin generally note that he is born of a the union of a mortal woman and an incubus. This is the source of his magic, shapeshifting and powers of prophecy.

The inborn magic complaint was against the trend of wizards in modern fiction in general rather than just this one instance. What does piss me off is that Merlin is a dude with superpowers. That's all his magic amounts to. Arthurian legend doesn't seem quite the right place to have this sort of magic system.

Except that it is. Keep in mind that you're applying a modern kind of thought process to the texts. The idea that with hard work and effort one can achieve great things. But that's not the mindset of the period that these works first appeared in. During the middle ages, birth was everything. Your future was greatly determined by your social status and your social status was determined by the family you're born into. Merlin's birth is what gives him magic. And he's not a traditional "Wizard with pointy hat" kind of magic user. He's a weird ass fusion of the trickster and the wise old man. The closest person in Arthurian legend to the "modern traditional" magic user is Morgan, and the hints that we get about her sources of power is deals with the Fairies.

Thomamelas on
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I'll stick to "Sword in the Stone" or the Sam Neill Merlin. All I had to see was the promotional picture on hulu to know that this show would be poor.

If only the same epiphany had reached me about Virtuality (to be fair their promo picture was a guy in a space suit without a helmet which looks infinitely more promising than 'faux shaky cam reality TV show in space with nonsensical backstory and no science').

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, suprisingly, negative vibes.

I enjoyed Merlin quite a lot in a lighthearted bubblegum way. Apart from the last episode which was a stain upon an otherwise consistent series.

It's some knockabout fun with a consistent line on the nature of magic, it occasionally has plot holes you can drive a bus through but never in a way that feels particularly egregious. It doesn't shy away from consequences either, overall it's not a tale of happily ever after.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is playing in Australia on Channel 10 (which is regarded by many as the bottom of the free-to-air TV barrel), and while I have never watched it myself, I thought that it looked terrible from the ads alone. Judging from the reactions to Merlin here, it seems as though my ability to judge TV shows and movies entirely on trailers/ads hasn't completely deserted me yet.
    B:L wrote: »
    755598f520.jpg

Is the girl in the blue Morgana or Guinevere? I need to know.

Nechriah on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blue is Morgana.

Khavall on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nechriah wrote: »
    This is playing in Australia on Channel 10 (which is regarded by many as the bottom of the free-to-air TV barrel), and while I have never watched it myself, I thought that it looked terrible from the ads alone. Judging from the reactions to Merlin here, it seems as though my ability to judge TV shows and movies entirely on trailers/ads hasn't completely deserted me yet.
    B:L wrote: »
    755598f520.jpg

Is the girl in the blue Morgana or Guinevere? I need to know.

Morgana.

Guinevere is her personal servant.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome, thanks guys.

Googling so hard.

Nechriah on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The whole show is entirely useless and managed to be even more insufferable than Robin Hood BBC Reimaging (more like raping). Amusingly Robin Hood has now been totally destroyed as well in wake for his brother to take over. WHAT?!!!

The Beeb need their arses kicked for making these frankly shoddy pieces of "drama" that insult the very myths and legends of renowned people. Idiots!!!

WMain00 on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    The Beeb need their arses kicked for making these frankly shoddy pieces of "drama" that insult the very myths and legends of renowned people. Idiots!!!

Oh, Jesus Christ. Serious about lightweight Saturday afternoon family shows much?

Bogart on
    edited June 2009
    My favorite part from the third episode is when they forget how they're treating their own material in the span of a line.

"Because Magic corrupts, it causes those that use it to seek more power"
    "But magic can be good too"
    "It's not good or evil in itself, it's all in how you use it"

Ok, if it corrupts and causes its users to seek more power than it isn't all in how you use it, writers.

Khavall on
    edited June 2009
    See, I rather liked the recent Robin Hood. Sure, it took some large liberties with the original source material, but it was fun. The characters were genuinely compelling, even if some of them were total monsters like the Sheriff of Nottingham. Though it did drag at points, the story actually progressed in meaningful ways. Though I'm sure a Medieval scholar could point out vast numbers of anachronisms, the overall setting felt consistent.

Merlin doesn't have any of those things. It's just completely boring.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    My favorite part from the third episode is when they forget how they're treating their own material in the span of a line.

Ok, if it corrupts and causes its users to seek more power than it isn't all in how you use it, writers.

That actually makes sense. They're basically saying power corrupts but you can choose to not be corrupted.

Though the show is pretty terribly written it's some fun, though the scene where Merlin is in a coma and keeps moaning about Arthur is quite unsettling.

Daxon on
    edited June 2009
    Daxon wrote: »

That actually makes sense. They're basically saying power corrupts but you can choose to not be corrupted.

Though the show is pretty terribly written it's some fun, though the scene where Merlin is in a coma and keeps moaning about Arthur is quite unsettling.

Yeah, except the discussion wasn't about power in general and how it relates to magic, it was about using magic, and the old guy says that magic corrupts people, then says that really no never mind.

Also in the first episode the Dragon tells Merlin that something's going to happen, Merlin says "You're wrong", and the Dragon says "There is no right or wrong, only what is and what isn't". Which is a fine quote except that Merlin wasn't talking about ethics, he was talking about facts.

Khavall on
    edited June 2009
    Bogart wrote: »

Oh, Jesus Christ. Serious about lightweight Saturday afternoon family shows much?

Yes! There's a difference between showin lightweight saturday shows and absolute drivel!

I mean, what would the world be like if Fox decided to just show any sort of random shit on TV instead of the frankly excellent shows they have on right now? A terrible world I tell you!

WMain00 on
    edited June 2009

Yes! There's a difference between showin lightweight saturday shows and absolute drivel!

I mean, what would the world be like if Fox decided to just show any sort of random shit on TV instead of the frankly excellent shows they have on right now? A terrible world I tell you!

I can't tell if you're be sarcastic, weird or just overreacting.

Merlin is fairly enjoyable as long as you don't think about it too much.

Daxon on
    edited June 2009

Indeed.

Not to mention the fact that Merlin is clearly better than Robin Hood.

And I'll cut anyone's throat who disagrees
    That's pithy British dry wit there

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

edited June 2009

How wonderful the written word is when you don't put "he said sarcastically" at the end.

I'm being sarcastic, though I still don't like Merlin or Robin Hood. They're both terrible TV productions that could be better spent on another show.

WMain00 on
    edited June 2009

Indeed.

Anyone who seriously thinks Merlin is better than Robin Hood clearly hasn't watched Robin Hood.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009

How wonderful the written word is when you don't put "he said sarcastically" at the end.

I'm being sarcastic, though I still don't like Merlin or Robin Hood. They're both terrible TV productions that could be better spent on another show.

PROTIP: Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

Daxon on
    edited June 2009

Also in the first episode the Dragon tells Merlin that something's going to happen, Merlin says "You're wrong", and the Dragon says "There is no right or wrong, only what is and what isn't". Which is a fine quote except that Merlin wasn't talking about ethics, he was talking about facts.

Uh, isn't that the point? There is layered meaning to "You're wrong", the dragon was talking about facts while Merlin is wishing the statement is incorrect. Thus the Dragon says there is no right and wrong, i.e. it is irrelevant what Merlin wants to happen, the facts are as they are.

Alistair Hutton on

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    Has anyone ever watched this? I just suffered through the first two episodes hoping it would be decent.

What the hell?

The evil Knight has a shield with magic snakes on it, but they can't prove it because the one witness died of a snakebite? Was everyone in Camelot suffering from blunt-force head trauma?

What the fuck is that?

I've always thought I should write, but haven't ever been happy with anything I can come up with. Someone got paid for this shitacular. That gives me hope. I didn't know all you had to do was defecate on a page and put in some stuff about magic and swords and the BBC would make a show about it.

Fuck.

Sorry... had to rant. I want that 45 minutes of my life back.

Oh no. Oh God no. Don't watch this. Didn't anybody warn you? Jesus, it is worse than the Robin Hood series the BBC did recently. Fucking waste of my licence fee tbh.

Fuck Doctor Who while I'm here too, I put the blame squarely at the feet of the 'successful' revival of that franchise for all these turdramas.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited June 2009

Uh, isn't that the point? There is layered meaning to "You're wrong", the dragon was talking about facts while Merlin is wishing the statement is incorrect. Thus the Dragon says there is no right and wrong, i.e. it is irrelevant what Merlin wants to happen, the facts are as they are.

Ok, you really have to stretch to make the quote make any sense, and even then there are about a billion an fifty ways to write the line that isn't retarded.

Especially since the conversation was about Merlin eventually being friends with a guy. This wasn't an I am your father situation we're talking about.

And Merlin wasn't all "THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" either, he laughed it off and said "You're wrong" pretty simply. Seriously, have you watched the show? Because while in theory in text if you really want to make the point that the writers who wrote an episode wherein no one believed that a dude's shield had magical snakes that came out of it because the witness died of a snakebite after almost dying from a snakebite, that was delivered in an arena fight, with about a thousand witnesses, aren't horrible at their jobs, it really doesn't read at all like anything other than "dude, we'll totally have this dragon be all sage and shit now"

Khavall on
    edited June 2009

Indeed.

Anyone who seriously thinks Merlin is better than Robin Hood clearly hasn't watched Robin Hood.

It's throat slitting time.

Alistair Hutton on

edited June 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    Has anyone ever watched this? I just suffered through the first two episodes hoping it would be decent.

What the hell?

The evil Knight has a shield with magic snakes on it, but they can't prove it because the one witness died of a snakebite? Was everyone in Camelot suffering from blunt-force head trauma?

What the fuck is that?

I've always thought I should write, but haven't ever been happy with anything I can come up with. Someone got paid for this shitacular. That gives me hope. I didn't know all you had to do was defecate on a page and put in some stuff about magic and swords and the BBC would make a show about it.

Fuck.

Sorry... had to rant. I want that 45 minutes of my life back.

Oh no. Oh God no. Don't watch this. Didn't anybody warn you? Jesus, it is worse than the Robin Hood series the BBC did recently. Fucking waste of my licence fee tbh.

Fuck Doctor Who while I'm here too, I put the blame squarely at the feet of the 'successful' revival of that franchise for all these turdramas.

You don't like Doctor Who?! How can you not like it? What is WRONG with you? Were you beaten with bricks when you were a baby?

Daxon on
    edited June 2009

And Merlin wasn't all "THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" either, he laughed it off and said "You're wrong" pretty simply. Seriously, have you watched the show? Because while in theory in text if you really want to make the point that the writers who wrote an episode wherein no one believed that a dude's shield had magical snakes that came out of it because the witness died of a snakebite after almost dying from a snakebite, that was delivered in an arena fight, with about a thousand witnesses, aren't horrible at their jobs, it really doesn't read at all like anything other than "dude, we'll totally have this dragon be all sage and shit now"

Merlin (the show) is not a bastion of trend setting groundbreaking writing but come on, the Dragon and Merlin are pretty clear sides of the same coin and it's not a stretch to add simple depth to their conversations. The Dragon's all "Destiny, destiny, I see all, I know all, now do as I say because I'm trapped here" and Merlin's like "Free will bitch, I'm all doing my own thing you don't own me but could you give me some help? Word!". It doesn't take writing genius to insert some simple double meaning into a conversation they have, especially in a show which uses "hidden talents" as a recurrent thematic device.

Alistair Hutton on

edited June 2009

You don't like Doctor Who?! How can you not like it? What is WRONG with you? Were you beaten with bricks when you were a baby?

Daleks killed his parents. Where was the Doctor then huh? Huh?

Alistair Hutton on

edited June 2009

Indeed.

I believe you meant to say pistols at dawn.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Indeed.

Nothing could ever be worse than Robin Hood, that is easily one of the worst shows on TV. The absolute pnnacle of trying to make a high budget show with a cripplingly low budget.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited June 2009

I believe you meant to say pistols at dawn.

That's for people who want to risk getting shot.

Alistair Hutton on

edited June 2009

Saving the rest of the blood universe, that's where! Christ, you can't expect him to save everyone can you?

Daxon on
    edited June 2009

Saving the rest of the blood universe, that's where! Christ, you can't expect him to save everyone can you?

Flash Gordon could. He could save every one of us.

Alistair Hutton on

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think he's just angry that the success of the new Doctor Who seems directly responsible for the shitstorm of craptaculars that have appeared since.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I dunno, I thoroughly enjoy Merlin, so this thread is full of fail in my opinion. It's supposed to be a family drama, people. Rome it is not.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited June 2009

Flash Gordon could. He could save every one of us.

But he'd be distinctly unfunny while doing so, it would be boring.

Daxon on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Excalibur was a great movie.

Yar on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you want good Merlin, read The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. There was a BBC production of it in the early 90's that was very close to the book, just with a horrible budget. It wasn't bad. Love the book, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoyed Merlin. Plus it is a kids' show, I'm not exactly expecting Shakespear.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Merlin is shit, IMO... but I do enjoy it in a guilty pleasure sort of way.
    Thing is, I do think the characters have potential... if they actually let the story go somewhere and not press reset every week, it could be a pretty watchable show. The hints of depth we get in Uther, Gaius and Morgana are all pretty interesting in the few scenes in which they surface, but they get forgotten. More annoyingly, some things which should be important and character influencing (particularly in a family show) get ignored -
    spoilered in case it hasnt aired in the US yet:
    'Oh... hey I just killed this human wizard with an Axe! I committed murder... oh well, lets all go and have tea'

So... i'll just play the Merlin drinking game until it gets cancelled. Rule 1) Take a shot whenever Guinivere gets sent to fetch a glass of water so magic can happen.

Lacroix on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    THIS SHOW MAKES ME SOOOOOOO ANGRY!!!! RUINING A STORY THAT'S BEEN TOLD COUNTLESS TIMES IN A FAMILY SHOW!!! GRRRRR!!!

Actually, I'm enjoying it in a mindless sort of way. Maybe it'll become something better in subsequent seasons.

Clevinger on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    From what I saw, Camelot apparently came around before Merlin, and Merlin was actually a pretty boy-band wannabe who defended weak page boys from the knife-throwing medieval equivalent of frat boys.

Huh. And here I thought Merlin was a wizard.

Don't be silly, we can't market old dudes or even middle-aged dudes to the OC crowd!

From the first episode, I can tell you that Merlin isn't a wizard, he's a teenager with superpowers.

They somehow managed to make Merlin the farmboy who goes on a quest. Damnit, BBC. Wrong archetype! There is no point in calling him Merlin if he's not the older mentor figure, the one who out-Gandalfs Gandalf. He's not interesting if you keep him young.

And since Young Merlin is an ignorant country bumpkin, his magic has to be inborn to justify it. A fluke of fate. Something he has absolutely no hand in achieving. He didn't study or work for it. He just has it. A swear to god, Harry Potter ruined wizards forever. Used to be that magic was a side effect of great knowledge and wisdom, something attained through effort and cunning. You didn't mess with a wizard, not just because he can call down lightning, but because he was smarter than you.

Nowadays, you have to be born special.

So yeah, Merlin is a teenager dealing with bullies and peer pressure who secretly has a superpower he tries to keep hidden. Evil forces are afoot and the great future hope of the kingdom is a spoiled jock. The premise is retarded. The plot is retarded. Don't watch it. Ever.

:^:

This makes me wish the Sam Neil "Merlin" min-series was on. That was a great mini-series. The sequel, less so.

Havelock on