As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Pirate Bay, Online Apps and DRM

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    someone buy me those games

i promise you nothing in return save the thanks and admiration of an authority figure

Orikaeshigitae on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    When I bought DoWII I popped in the CD and Steam was like "Oh hey, yeah, you own that now, if you need to download it again I'm right over here, just lemme know."

So nice after having to reformat.

And yes what is all this about being able to copy stuff to a thumbdrive as a backup?

The worst thing about this is CivIV. Bought it when it first came out. Doesn't have any CD Keys or authentication stuff to port it over to steam, even though I own every bit of documentation that came with it (even the reciept!) and my disks are scratched to all hell.

Unknown User on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I bought DoWII I popped in the CD and Steam was like "Oh hey, yeah, you own that now, if you need to download it again I'm right over here, just lemme know."

And yes what is all this about being able to copy stuff to a thumbdrive as a backup?

wait what? Like if you buy a game that is also available on steam and install it, steam lets you download it via steam? That is awesome

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    you know what was pretty nice

when i got this shiny new laptop

i installed and logged in to steam

and then was like "steam, install all my games, please"

went and played Rock Band with my buddies for a few hours

and then poof

all my games were downloaded and installed

how sweet is that

You should have backed up your account and transferred it over using either discs or flash/portable memory. Took me 6 minutes to recover 29 gigs of games that I would rather not redownload, even on my ludicrous connection. It'll even partition the compressed files to any size for any kind of media.

Did it earlier today. Super slick and I cant believe I didn't know about it.

I love when they do this. WoW does the same thing. It doesn't fuck with the registry at all so you can play it off of portable drives.

whoa what

After the third time or so downloading and installing WoW I thought 'man, this sucks!' so I just copy/pasted the folders onto my external. Next time I went through a reformat, I just copied the files over and I didn't have to do anything.

Javen on
    edited June 2009
    dow 2 is balls though

and I am gay for GW

man I really like DoW2. I like the combination of the RPG and RTS combined.

Unknown User on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I think Steam vaporizing (tee hee) was a valid concern like 5 years ago, which is why I never really jumped on it for a lot of things right away. But given what it has evolved into, I don't think the fear really exists anymore except for a very miniscule, very distant future "what if"

And for me, if Steam goes under 10 years from now I've most certainly got my moneys worth out of it and there will probably be something new and better out there anyway.

like sex bots

so much of the industrialized world will grind to a halt

as everyone spends their days inside their houses with their sex bots

and then the poor, unfettered by being unable to afford sex bots, will overtake us

for our sex bot driven decadence

Pony on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

wait what? Like if you buy a game that is also available on steam and install it, steam lets you download it via steam? That is awesome

Pretty much, yeah. It asked for my keycode, and now if I ever need to reinstall I can pull it down right from Steam.

Abracadaniel on
  • GameGrrlGameGrrl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Question - is running games through ScummVM legal? I know that the VM itself is legal, but what's the legal status of using Lucasarts' games with it?

GameGrrl on
    edited June 2009
    Damn you Sid Meier!

Unknown User on
    edited June 2009

and then poof

how sweet is that

You should have backed up your account and transferred it over using either discs or flash/portable memory. Took me 6 minutes to recover 29 gigs of games that I would rather not redownload, even on my ludicrous connection. It'll even partition the compressed files to any size for any kind of media.

I love when they do this. WoW does the same thing. It doesn't fuck with the registry at all so you can play it off of portable drives.

whoa what

I played WoW off of an external HD, not many flash drives out there have enough space for all the files. The problem is though, since it was on the external. it took me like 2 days to patch the game and run it because I ran into problems at every stage just because it was on an external HD. I was running into errors left and right and it was damn annoying, especially since I had to wait til it was almost done patching to get an error. I have never worked so hard to waste my money in my life

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited June 2009
    I think Steam vaporizing (tee hee) was a valid concern like 5 years ago, which is why I never really jumped on it for a lot of things right away. But given what it has evolved into, I don't think the fear really exists anymore except for a very miniscule, very distant future "what if"

And for me, if Steam goes under 10 years from now I've most certainly got my moneys worth out of it and there will probably be something new and better out there anyway.

like sex bots

and then the poor, unfettered by being unable to afford sex bots, will overtake us

basically metropolis

metropolis04ef2.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

like sex bots

Remind me not to buy a sex bot then

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    GameGrrl wrote: »
    Question - is running games through ScummVM legal? I know that the VM itself is legal, but what's the legal status of using Lucasarts' games with it?

it's just a virtual machine that reads the data files which come on the cd

so if you own the games, you can use it

Orikaeshigitae on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

and then poof

how sweet is that

really?

you can just like

copy the folders right over?

it's that simple?

huh

might have to go buy me a DVD spindel

Two ways to do it are to just manually right click copy everything in the Steam folder as is. But that takes time and you will need to have a portable HDD or something. The other route is to backup using Steam itself, which will compress all your installed games, or any you choose, into an installer which can be split into any size you want.

20z92ea.jpg

Seriously, it's right there and everyone has been telling me that this is well known and everyone uses it but I missed it entirely because I've never needed it before.

2it3in7.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

i promise you nothing in return save the thanks and admiration of an authority figure

Tempting.

Yukira on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that is fucking amazing

steam is wonderful

and to think at one time i hated it

Pony on
    edited June 2009
    I just use an external HDD. It made moving stuff onto my desktop so much easier

Artreus on
    edited June 2009
    Yukira wrote: »

Tempting.

just think

you can spend money on someone you've never met and probably won't meet

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2009
    Technically, that's what I do with my WoW subscription.

Yukira on
    edited June 2009
    that is fucking amazing

steam is wonderful

so you're admitting to being one of the aforementioned twits

Me Too! on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

and then poof

how sweet is that

whoa what

After the third time or so downloading and installing WoW I thought 'man, this sucks!' so I just copy/pasted the folders onto my external. Next time I went through a reformat, I just copied the files over and I didn't have to do anything.
    that makes a lot of sense
    I think at some point I'll dl and install the client again and just keep it on a thumb drive for whenever I decide to play again for a few months

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Yukira wrote: »
    Technically, that's what I do with my WoW subscription.

so you've got a prior precedent, go for it

Orikaeshigitae on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i know a dude who doesnt like steam and has been boycotting it

i was trying to tell him to forget his whole deal and just get on steam because it is good and he would like it and the games on it

i mean this guy seems to be hell of a pc gamer
    talkin about playin around with the crysis map editor and shit
    im talkin about tf2 and hes telling me some shit about team fortress classic
    let me put it this way
    he is the only dude i know with a neckbeard

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have lots of oldschool adventure games I want to/have to/am intending to play. Damn.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    I'm really hoping to see Journeyman Project on GOG sometime soon. I will buy the fuck out of it.

Abracadaniel on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like steam, but I like Telltale ever so slightly better since I can download all their games, but they also send you the dvd if you buy the whole season. I like having the option for both, since if I like a game, I could easily see me playing it on into the future.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Flight of the Amazon Queen is also free, I believe you can get them both when you download ScummVM. I keep meaning to play through them but never do.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009
    I'm really hoping to see Journeyman Project on GOG sometime soon. I will buy the fuck out of it.

I bought one of the journeyman projects at a goodwill here for $5? or something, Arcanum for $3.

I dont think I got the journeyman project working

Artreus on
    edited June 2009
    Can any of these games be stuffed into a windowed mode? I kinda want something to tinker with at work that can be paused and picked up easily.

Yukira on
  • GameGrrlGameGrrl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    that is fucking amazing

steam is wonderful

being concerned back in 2005 that a new start-up digital delivery system might not last doesn't make you a twit

GameGrrl on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that is fucking amazing

steam is wonderful

being concerned back in 2005 that a new start-up digital delivery system might not last doesn't make you a twit

It also had a slew of problems when it first came around.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    edited June 2009
    You're a good kid, GameGrrl.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    that is fucking amazing

steam is wonderful

Maybe

Just maybe

I'm just giving a dude shit for something to do

Me Too! on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had Steam since the beginning

it is a fantastic service

my only gripe with it is being banned from online play because someone had hacked into my Steam account and played CS: Source with cheats

but really, I hardly played online games to begin with, I understand why Valve has a zero-tolerance policy against cheating, and it was easy enough to get a new Steam account that I could use for multiplayer games

Moriveth on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    when steam first started it was too muchfor my computer to handle
    it was so slooooow

but that was a looooong time ago

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited June 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I had Steam since the beginning

it is a fantastic service

my only gripe with it is being banned from online play because someone had hacked into my Steam account and played CS: Source with cheats

but really, I hardly played online games to begin with, I understand why Valve has a zero-tolerance policy against cheating, and it was easy enough to get a new Steam account that I could use for multiplayer games

Sorry about that by the way

Me Too! on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dow 2 is balls though

and I am gay for GW

man I really like DoW2. I like the combination of the RPG and RTS combined.

the single player is super fun

the multiplayer is horribly, horribly broken

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2009
    Oh well in that case I am with you 100% Pip.

I hope they release some new campaigns soon, would love to play SP with something other than Space Marines.

Unknown User on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    relic makes amazing games with incredible single-player and brilliant engines and cannot balance a game for shit

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2009
    I don't think I've ever played DoW2 multiplayer. I've just had a really good time playing the single player and trying out different styles of play.

Abracadaniel on