As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Blood Bowl - Now with Dark Elves on Steam $36

• troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so what leagues are we using?

troublebrewing on
  • fencatfencat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    long time lurker first time poster and so forth..

Fenris playing Skaven teams are Fen's Thirtheentwo (dont ask about first one)
    Rating a astounishing 1060 ;)

Online now if anyone want a one off game or so, will do single for now and check forums if anyone is up for a game.

fencat on
    steam_sig.png
  • IgnignoktIgnignokt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Been lurking on these boards for a while but figured I'd sign up so I had some people to play Blood Bowl against. Tried to join the training league, but no luck. It said my team could not be added because it was already in a public league, even though I just created it. I'll figure it out this evening.

Anyway, my in game name is Boosh! (with the exclamation point).

Has anyone figured out if there's a way to keep the game from blocking alt tabbing? Otherwise I'll have to print out a list of people to add to my friends which would be annoying...

Ignignokt on
    edited June 2009
    Ignignokt wrote: »
    Been lurking on these boards for a while but figured I'd sign up so I had some people to play Blood Bowl against. Tried to join the training league, but no luck. It said my team could not be added because it was already in a public league, even though I just created it. I'll figure it out this evening.

Anyway, my in game name is Boosh! (with the exclamation point).

Has anyone figured out if there's a way to keep the game from blocking alt tabbing? Otherwise I'll have to print out a list of people to add to my friends which would be annoying...

As far as I can tell it does not block alt+tab ? Check under options after the newest patch it set me automaticaly to full screen mode, try unticking that.

fencat on
    steam_sig.png
  • bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ignignokt wrote: »

Every team starts out in the public league, you just have to quit it and apply to the other league.

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The pricing on this game is retarded, I was expecting £15 as it seems like a game that would rely heavily on the multiplayer/community to make it work but in the UK it's £39.99. I haven't spent more than £25 on a top tier PC title in a long long time.

Rook on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its GW im sure they had a lot to do with the pricing.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bamjo wrote: »
    Thanks for the new thread. The PA training league still has many slots open, make a team and join up!
    Game name is bamjo.

My shiny new chaos team just got brutalized by lizardmen. A 1000 point chaos team really struggles against the more specialized bashy teams. They do nothing particularly well, or even average. I was out blocked by the saurus's and out run by the stunties, it was sad. I wish leveling players was a tad faster because base level chaos is hard.

Edit: lol ketar, we posted at the same time about the same game :) You played very well. Sorry I kind of gave up at the end, my guys couldn't stop that saurus line. That'awsome it was the same skink, he must be almost level 2 just from that one game.

Give your first beastman to level up sure hands (unless he rolls +agi, then he doesn't need it) , and the second level up give him two heads (or dodge on double), he'll be a better runner than anything dwarfs or even lizards have. Chaos starts weak, but as soon as you get 3 or 4 beastmen to level 2 it's probably even with anyone else, as you get more relatively out of your skill ups due to your starting good stats.

Right now I have:

2 chaos warriors with guard
    1 chaos warrior with block

1 beastman with sure hands, two heads
    1 beastman +agi and +mov

3-4 beastmen with block, one of which also has mighty blow and one of which also has diving tackle.

Priority now is getting tackle and guard on some more beastmen so I can cage better and stop runners.

I'm at the point now where I can bash with dwarves and run with humans. The only thing that chaos really lacks in the long run is a passing game, but you don't really need one.

Jealous Deva on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And the thrown rock rock event is screwed up so 95+% of the time it ends up with an injury or death when stuns/knockdowns should be more common.

I found a post on the official board this morning from someone at Focus saying that they had identified this bug and were going to hotfix it. I'm too lazy to find it now, so you'll just have to trust me, but at least it's being looked at.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sigh, in my second match with my Orcs I lose 2 Blitzers, both of which had a few sp too. Team now down from 1040 to 9010 even though it was a tied game.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I can't figure it out, I'm playing teams in the single player who I have a larger fan rating than, and I'm beating the snot out of them and winning the game. Yet at the end of the game, they always make more money than I do. What am I missing here?

Dark_Side on
  • floodriptidefloodriptide Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The tabletop rules the digital version are a translation of is freely available online. It'll go far as to explaining how certain mechanics work (and a handy reference for skills, etc).

www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

floodriptide on
    Pelloquin @ The Secret World-TSM
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My first online public game went both better and worse than expected, somehow.

Trying out a Lizard team and went with 5 Saurs and the rest Skinks. First time out it's against a fresh Dwarf team with 2 Slayers, 2 Runners, 2 Blitzers and the rest Blockers. Early on I found that no, skinks are not just like faster Beastmen, they are in fact newspaper held together by silly putty. One is killed very quickly, but I still get the first score (they are very fast newspaper). He is quickly revenged by the death of one of his Slayers after the kickoff. This was a mistake, as, being the Dwarf player that he was, a Grudge was sworn on the Saurs of my team. The rest of the game was messy, consisting mainly of a large group of very angry dwarves trying to stomp my line into lizard paste. Thankfully it only saw the broken jaw on one of the Saurs and a injured Groin on a skink, both out for the next game, the rest (of the team, basically) suffering only KOs.

The game tied, mainly due to one of his runners being unanimously renamed "Butter Fingers" as he fumbled the pickup on his own goal line three times in a row, and that the dwarf delayed his own TD to the last turn in order to get more attempts at settling the grudge.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • TonyTony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Got my multiplayer account setup, applied to the PA Training league. Coach name is Tony.

Really enjoying the single player, I think I'm nearing the end of my first season in my campaign, and have just learnt a rather valuable lesson: Don't get cocky with your star players. I took a big risk with my highest leveled skink which resulted in death, no more skink-blitzing blocks for me.

Tony on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I recently started a second campaign with Lizardmen on Normal/Blitz. In the first match the injury/armor gods hated my opponents (human) and I caused 7 casualties. I normally have the "dice" chat window displayed so I can see the actual rolls. After the 5th casualty, a message scrolled by saying I had achieved the "It's Showtime" objective or some such. I figured there would be more mention of it after the match so I didn't write it down. I don't see any record of this in my team stats or mention in either the PDFs it comes with or the living rulebook. Any idea what this is? Did it give me a cash bonus or something (since the gate is random its hard for me to tell)?

Celebrim on
  • jburyjbury Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    jbury - jbury

Looking forward to playing you guys :)

jbury on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ah, yes, should have mentioned.
    Coach Name:
    Eclibull - Bloodsheed

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    edited June 2009
    looks like the multiplayer server thing took a facedive.. no games sticking and chat lag is horrendous =(

fencat on
    steam_sig.png
  • AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Those of you who have it, thumbs up/down? Likes/dislikes?

Have not been able to find real gameplay footage (just the trailers) but I was a big fan of the tabletop game so considering it...

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Asuma wrote: »

Have not been able to find real gameplay footage (just the trailers) but I was a big fan of the tabletop game so considering it...

It's a very faithful translation of the tabeltop game so, I'd say go for it.

Inquisitor on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did stunty get allot better since the last edition or something? Because I just played against a goblin team that seemed more like a team full of Gutter Runners. It's like I didn't even have tackle zones.

Wesleyyyyy

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • WestwardWestward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Westward wrote: »
    Counting up the little rule wrongs.

Elaborate please. It all seems rules kosher to me.

I'ma start by lumping things that are missing (weather, assistant coaches, the goblin Bombardier) or misplaced (why are wizards, Bloodweiser Babes, and Star Players in Blitz Mode?)

-The goblin fanatic's movement is wrong. You should be able to pick which direction he moves in for each point of movement.
    -Secret Weapons are bugged. If a Secret Weapon is KOed or otherwise off the pitch after having been in a drive, there's a chance the referee won't send them off.
    -Hail Mary Pass, as far as I can tell, isn't working at all.
    -Tackle/Diving Tackle aren't working together.
    -Trolls can assist Trolls with their Really Stupid rolls.
    -Mighty Blow/Piling On aren't working together.
    -Extra Arms seems to be allowing plays to pick up or catch balls on rolls of 1.
    -Thrown Rock is very casualty heavy at the moment, I think that got mentioned earlier, though.
    -You can't decide to not use some skills at the moment: Pass and Juggernaut being the main examples.
    -Not a big bug, but if you cause a casualty, and your opponent uses his apothecary on the player so that it ends up as Badly Hurt, the SPP won't appear about the casualty-causing player until after the game.

Don't forget the CTDs and random port errors that Cyanide seems to think are the player's fault. How odd.

The Art & Design team should get a medal, though.

EDIT: Ooh, some I forgot. You can't buy skills for Mercenary players for some reason, and you can't purchase Mercenary's to replace injured players if you've already hit the limit for that position on your team (For example, you already have 2 Wardancers and one is out this game with an injury). Also, people are reporting that players who miss games due to a previous injury are getting MVPs.

Westward on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did stunty get allot better since the last edition or something? Because I just played against a goblin team that seemed more like a team full of Gutter Runners. It's like I didn't even have tackle zones.

Saying you didn't get tackle zones seems like a pretty apt description of how the move actually works under the current edition.

"Stunty (Extraordinary)
    The player is so small that they are very difficult to tackle because they can duck underneath opposing players’ outstretched arms and run between their legs. On the other hand, Stunty players are just a bit too small to throw the ball very well, and are easily injured. To represent these things a player with the Stunty skill may ignore any enemy tackle zones on the square he is moving to when he makes a Dodge roll (i.e., they always end up with a +1 Dodge roll modifier), but must subtract 1 from the roll when they pass. In addition, add 1 to any Injury roll made against a player with the Stunty skill. Stunties that are armed with a Secret Weapon are not allowed to ignore enemy tackle zones, but still suffer the other penalties."

Inquisitor on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think dodging is messed up. In the last three games I played, the opposing team was able to completely ignore my tackle zones, and only one of those teams had stunties. It was very aggravating.

Wesleyyyyy

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited June 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Can you play a single player season?

How does it handle improvements for players?

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Can you play a single player season?

How does it handle improvements for players?

Yes, you can absolutely do a single player season. Haven't gotten too far (can't pick a team), but it seems really slick.

Improvements for players I was really surprised about. I picked the second head mutation for my minotaur when he leveled, expecting just the bonuses, but I turned him around and saw a giant wolf head growing out of his back. That really won me over on chaos.

maraxus94 on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know if an nVidia GeForce 8400GS is good enough to run this game?

I don't think so, but I figured it's worth an ask.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just picked this up the other day and been fooling around a bit in single player learning the ropes, gonna try to jump online today and see how bad i get smashed. Anyways coach name is mrmojorisin13.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This sounds cool; are Wood Elves any good? I'm always a sucker for fast, frail and expensive armies.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wood elves are very good. They are in the top 2 for scoring potential. Just don't expect them all to live through the match.

The PA training league just filled up, sorry to those of you we couldn't fit in. Maybe someone can start up another league. I would but it seems the game only lets you create one at a time. I'll start the season now, and hopefully with the holiday weekend coming up we can get a lot of games in. Good luck everyone!

bamjo on
    edited July 2009
    Leagues have fixed sizes? Hopefully they change that in a future patch.

Asuma on
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, they more precisely could be called tournaments. The league system as it stands leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think the devs have commented if they are going to expand on its functionality at all.

bamjo on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure they'll be adding it sooner than later, or we'll just see a mod. I imagine that after a few months a good chunk of the player base is going to be screaming for it.

Dark_Side on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Coach name is Kafka.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • WestwardWestward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, they more precisely could be called tournaments. The league system as it stands leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think the devs have commented if they are going to expand on its functionality at all.

Round Robin would more appropriate; in the current league set-up, you play everyone in your division at least once.

Westward on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think dodging is messed up. In the last three games I played, the opposing team was able to completely ignore my tackle zones, and only one of those teams had stunties. It was very aggravating.

Wesleyyyyy

I haven't seen any problems related to dodging through 8 games with 4 different teams. Dodge rolls have been required when they should be, and the target roll has always been accurate as far as I can tell. The Dodge skill has also been applied when appropriate.

Ketar on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wood elves are very good. They are in the top 2 for scoring potential. Just don't expect them all to live through the match.

The PA training league just filled up, sorry to those of you we couldn't fit in. Maybe someone can start up another league. I would but it seems the game only lets you create one at a time. I'll start the season now, and hopefully with the holiday weekend coming up we can get a lot of games in. Good luck everyone!

fuck.

troublebrewing on
  • bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know what sucks, having a level 3 goblin get eaten by a troll.
    do you know how hard it is to get a goblin to level up in one piece.

.....bah

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone have some suggestions for a minotaurs skills?

They seem to already have most of the good ones. Block is probably good, but then what?

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Counting up the little rule wrongs.

Elaborate please. It all seems rules kosher to me.

I'ma start by lumping things that are missing (weather, assistant coaches, the goblin Bombardier) or misplaced (why are wizards, Bloodweiser Babes, and Star Players in Blitz Mode?)

-The goblin fanatic's movement is wrong. You should be able to pick which direction he moves in for each point of movement.
    -Secret Weapons are bugged. If a Secret Weapon is KOed or otherwise off the pitch after having been in a drive, there's a chance the referee won't send them off.
    -Hail Mary Pass, as far as I can tell, isn't working at all.
    -Tackle/Diving Tackle aren't working together.
    -Trolls can assist Trolls with their Really Stupid rolls.
    -Mighty Blow/Piling On aren't working together.
    -Extra Arms seems to be allowing plays to pick up or catch balls on rolls of 1.
    -Thrown Rock is very casualty heavy at the moment, I think that got mentioned earlier, though.
    -You can't decide to not use some skills at the moment: Pass and Juggernaut being the main examples.
    -Not a big bug, but if you cause a casualty, and your opponent uses his apothecary on the player so that it ends up as Badly Hurt, the SPP won't appear about the casualty-causing player until after the game.

Don't forget the CTDs and random port errors that Cyanide seems to think are the player's fault. How odd.

The Art & Design team should get a medal, though.

EDIT: Ooh, some I forgot. You can't buy skills for Mercenary players for some reason, and you can't purchase Mercenary's to replace injured players if you've already hit the limit for that position on your team (For example, you already have 2 Wardancers and one is out this game with an injury). Also, people are reporting that players who miss games due to a previous injury are getting MVPs.

This might have lost me a game.... my thrower had the ball but my catcher wasn't in position yet, so I clicked out of the pass screen to move the catcher. Then when I switched back to the thrower his turn was done. Arrggghh.

Of course then they recovered the ball from me and proceeded to fuck me with their inevitable TD (I was playing against a Skaven team).

freakish light on