As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How can I make my appartment a more romantic place?

2»

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All you need is to be clean and tidy. You don't want to have to sweep junk of the sofa or bed before you use them! You don't want the girl to be half worried about something skittering out of a pile of old pizza boxes. You don't want her to stick to the floor in the bathroom, or be grossed out by the state of the toilet.

If you've got that covered, you are good. Candles might be nice.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All you need is to be clean and tidy. You don't want to have to sweep junk of the sofa or bed before you use them! You don't want the girl to be half worried about something skittering out of a pile of old pizza boxes. You don't want her to stick to the floor in the bathroom, or be grossed out by the state of the toilet.

Oh jesus yes this. Clean your bathroom. There's a mood killer in a hurry if she goes to "freshen up" and she sees a golden ring around your toilet bowl that would shame Sonic the Hedgehog.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When people say "clean", they mean clean. As in, clean your house as well as you have ever cleaned it before and then clean it that well AGAIN. You're shooting for clean like this. Even if your house and your shit ain't as nice as those photos, notice how spotless it all is and then try to make your place cleaner than that.

Women really like that.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh jesus yes this. Clean your bathroom. There's a mood killer in a hurry if she goes to "freshen up" and she sees a golden ring around your toilet bowl that would shame Sonic the Hedgehog.

Clean the mirror with some window cleaner (or even just water) too. Mirrors show dirt really well if they haven't been recently cleaned.

Also leave your apartment for a while and then walk back in and walk into your bathroom. If either smells at all clean well and leave your windows open for several hours. (Do this with enough time to cool your place back down to reasonable temps if needed)

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Enc wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    big ol' snip'd post

You could also go out and grab a staple gun for relatively cheap, which will make the back of your pictures a lot less hideous... if that matters to you.

I've made dozens and dozens of custom canvases, so I'm pretty adept at stapling fabric (or canvas) as tight as it can get over a frame. Of course, you'd need a piece of wood instead of foam core as the basis for this project, but I'm willing to bet it would run around the same price. Last time I bought foam core it was $7 for a large sheet, where a 1/4" smooth wooden board roughly the same size was like $6. The entire thing would be a lot heavier, but it would be much more sturdy and durable.

Edit: Nevermind.. just realized you only use foam to create the puff.

The staple gun is a trade off. On one hand, the frame looks better, on the other, it can cause eventual creases that will spread over time. For homemade I'd still go staplegun like Figgy suggests. Mostly because it's easier and you have the skill to replace/repleat the fabric if it starts to crease.

Creases in what? Like I said, this is how custom built canvases are made. I have had no trouble with creases in any work I've done, and the oldest canvas I have is about 8 years old.

It does take some patience and skill, so it definitely isn't as easy as just laying the thing down and stapling it.

Another thing you could do is print off high-res wallpapers to make decent sized pictures--send em to a printer and it costs maybe $2 - $5 to print a full colour 14x17 or something like that.

All of this is, of course, after you've cleaned your apartment.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread now needs to be retitled "How anyone can make their apartment/house/dorm room a more classy place" with the advice and how-tos people are posting up ins.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you have some square footage, having some open floor space, carpeted or wood to sit and relax in. Preferably in front of a TV. Have a bean bag or LoveSac or some nice floor sittings nearby to slide into place.

If you have some windows that look onto something OTHER that a brick wall or something, time her visit to catch a good view. I had an apartment on the top floor (of three) on a hill, facing the west. If she came in time, she could see a GREAT sunset. So I would always time it so that the window blinds would be open. My wife entered my apartment to that view when I first had her over. I guess it worked.

Clean up the carpet well. I had a dog and went out of my way to brush the carpet clean of dog hair. It might be wise to crate you dog for most of the evening, but not always. It depends upon the woman.

Clean the bathroom. Make sure all your shavings, dirt, soap residue, etc are cleaned up. Clean the bath tub and toilet. Make sure a full roll of TP is there for her use.

Make your bed. You wouldn't believe how many dates would try to sneak a peak in my bedroom. None of them are good at being sneaky like that, but if you have nothing to hide, no worries.

Too long.
    Jesus.

Oh yea. Sweep the porch. I have had a couple of women over that smoked. If you aren't SURE, then make sure to give it a quick sweeping. Also, ALWAYS have an ashtray SOMEWHERE for the occassional smoker-guest. Even if it is in a drawer under tons of other things. Be able to get it for them.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread now needs to be retitled "How anyone can make their apartment/house/dorm room a more classy place" with the advice and how-tos people are posting up ins.

Well I would certainly read that topic. I just bought my first condo and want to stop living like a college student. I don't feel the need to start a topic of my own though.

exmello on
  • Options
    MorganMorgan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    When people say "clean", they mean clean. As in, clean your house as well as you have ever cleaned it before and then clean it that well AGAIN. You're shooting for clean like this. Even if your house and your shit ain't as nice as those photos, notice how spotless it all is and then try to make your place cleaner than that.

Women really like that.

Heh, you say that as if you know....

Morgan on
    Erandus is a douchebag
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Morgan wrote: »

Women really like that.

Heh, you say that as if you know....

I in no way implied that I was any good at it, however..

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Women really like that.

Some might be a bit freaked out if it was too super, super clean. I'm afraid to breathe in homes that clean. Best just to get it nice and homely and tidy.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Women really like that.

Some might be a bit freaked out if it was too super, super clean. I'm afraid to breathe in homes that clean. Best just to get it nice and homely and tidy.

Um, no. Unless he follows this chick around with windex and a rag, she isn't going to be freaked out that he cleaned his place. She is most likely going to assume he cleaned it for her, and that will probably impress her.

There's no such thing as "too clean" until you start covering your furniture in plastic and taking a toothbrush to the door hinges.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The only real caveat is that you want to attain a level of cleanliness that you can at least moderately maintain in the future. If your place degenerates into a hobo flop house within a week, the jig is up.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]