As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

wooooooooo (oooooooooooo)

1234568»

• MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Even though this was discussed pages ago, a comment on the machinist apprenticeship thing: you have to do a four-year apprenticeship up here to even be able to call yourself a machinist. They hand that title out like candy down in Wyoming it seems.

Like I said, my father has like 40 years in the industry and can only call himself a machine hand because nobody has done the true journeyman apprentice thing in well over 60 years in PA. He gets a kick out of it when young guys fresh out of VoTech schools call themselves machinists.

Yea, I have a good friend from high school who did the four-year apprenticeship (which apparently had some incredibly stress-inducing written tests and several courses on metallurgy, advanced algebra and trigonmetry) before he was given his journeyman ticket. You can't even get hired as a machinist up here without your journeyman ticket.

The pay is nice from what I hear. 70 dollars an hour, wutwut.

70 bucks an hour but remember you have either union dues or you're paying into some kind of job finding service or company. You're still making good money though.

They're mainly union up here, but you do find non-union machinists (still with the journeyman ticket). The union broke away from the millwright union a few years ago and are on their own, but apparently have excellent health coverage, benefits and decent pension plan. From how he broke it down for me, you're losing about 15 to 20% of your cheque to those fees, but the long term security it worth it.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I could really go for 70 bucks an hour.

And a union job. Like when I worked at UPS I was part of a union and I couldn't load a truck while a supervisor was loading it. Seriously I came in to help him out and he was all, "You can't do that!"
    So I'm like, "why not?"
    He goes, "some kind of union thing"
    So I go, "Can I help that guy over there?"
    "No."
    "Well what can I do?"
    "Just hang out for a minute."

Metalbourne on
  • Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're subverting the union with your assisting others! Stop that!

Darkness Mundus on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Actually that supervisor shouldn't have been loading that truck at all, a union worker should have been.

I was a member of the teamsters for the few years I worked there as well, they fought for me when management decided to fudge my starting date to screw me out of my vacation.

Abracadaniel on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Actually that supervisor shouldn't have been loading that truck at all, a union worker should have been.

I was a member of the teamsters for the few years I worked there as well, they fought for me when management decided to fudge my starting date to screw me out of my vacation.

Teamster huh? Was your job to stand there holding that shovel up on the side of the road for 5 hours a day and 3 hours of paid break time?

Hunter on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was part of the scaffolders union (actually, carpenters union, but scaffolders fall into it) for a couple of years. The union life is the most surreal life.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

Teamster huh? Was your job to stand there holding that shovel up on the side of the road for 5 hours a day and 3 hours of paid break time?
    'ey! 'ey!
    dese shovels ain't gonna hold demselves up are dey?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited June 2009

Man I wish.

I never 'took advantage' of being a union worker while there. Other dudes? Physical fights with supervisors, one dude left the parking brake off of a delivery truck and it rolled right back into the employee parking lot, etc. Neither was fired.

One of the supervisors was a pretty great dude, working there in the early morning, then working at a local Home Depot as a manager, then going to night school to become a sheriff. Another one would walk into the truck you were loading to 'inspect your sort' and cut an awful fart and then close the doors behind him.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2009
    Wait. If you got into physical fights when in our union, or any union up here that I know about, you will get fired from your job, no exceptions.

Is the union at UPS solely a UPS union?

Morgenstern on
    edited June 2009
    I was part of the teamsters, pretty sure it wasn't a UPS specific union.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2009
    Wait. If you got into physical fights when in our union, or any union up here that I know about, you will get fired from your job, no exceptions.

Is the union at UPS solely a UPS union?

I was in the teamsters union, actually. But I only worked there for three weeks because I was too tired to go to school in the morning.

Metalbourne on
    edited June 2009
    pussy

I worked there from 4am to 9:30, went home and showered, went to classes till 3, went to the local newspaper for an internship, went home and changed, and went to my other job from 6-11.

I subsisted on 3-4 hours of sleep for about three years.

Abracadaniel on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    pussy

I worked there from 4am to 9:30, went home and showered, went to classes till 3, went to the local newspaper for an internship, went home and changed, and went to my other job from 6-11.

I subsisted on 3-4 hours of sleep for about three years.

And how'd that all work out for you?

DrZiplock on
    edited June 2009
    not too bad.

I can now fall asleep pretty much anywhere, though. Like a mild case of narcole-zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Abracadaniel on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    I was always a fan of axes, but then I have a hardon for vikings so no surprises there.

Sparky: German infantryman in the west when they initially invaded wouldn't be too bad, or perhaps if you were commanded by alexander or some great general that didn't take many losses (I dunno what kind of losses alexander suffered, maybe he fits that criterion?)

Oh hey didnt see this earlier time for me to nerd out. Most historical documents of Alexander's campaign(s), especially those of Callisthenes, usually play up the number of Persians he fought against, and play down the number of Macedonians etc he had under his command in addition to casualties. While I dont think he had any infantry deaths approaching the quantity of say the early Roman Republic, im sure he had a number that would be pretty typical for any army of the time.

Also you'd have to take into consideration the extreme agression of the Macedonians, especially the infantry officers. Those guys would just charge headfirst into battle and their casualty rate was substantially high for them. The regular Phalangites I imagine would be up there in deaths with the officers if it weren't for the fact that Philip and Alexander trained the fuck out of them to keep them held (reasonably) together with the phalanx.

So anyways the point is, regardless of where you are in history under what commander, being an infantry sucks donkey balls no matter what.

CptKemzik on
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    very late to the party, but this is relevent to my interests.

grats knob, in my opinion machining is a very sound profession. i actually come from a long line of machinists and metalworkers. as the bosses kid, i was turning bolt shanks on a cincinnati centerless grinder when i was 12. good luck getting the smell of solvent out of your sinuses.

just get yourself into the CNC class and you'll have it made. actually, finding a primer course in CAD has been known to add a very valuable skillset to the job. gives you a better understanding of how the designer is assessing milling paths and jig and fixture adjustments.

and yeah, you guys yakkin about infantrymen, ground-pounders are nothing but meat for the grinder.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    blood for the blood god

Me Too! on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    learned how to tie some bitchin' knots tonight

Wait, like, literal knots with rope? or is this some metaphor I'm not hip to?

I always wanted to learn how to tie a few good knots. Maybe keep a coil of rope in the car in case I have to do some MacGuyver shit.

Knots are so easy

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Knob wrote: »
    i got my own giant lathe and everything

CNC or manual?

Dynagrip on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    learned how to tie some bitchin' knots tonight

Wait, like, literal knots with rope? or is this some metaphor I'm not hip to?

I always wanted to learn how to tie a few good knots. Maybe keep a coil of rope in the car in case I have to do some MacGuyver shit.

Knots are so easy

I'm sure you're right, but I've never sat down with a book and some rope, hung out with a sailor, or whatever.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth noting that I checked out Thinkgeek after reading/making these posts and they have a bracelet that unties into 14 feet of 550 lb test paracord, as well as an apparently true story of some dude saving a woman's life using the very same bracelet.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    'Hung out with a sailor' is a prime :winky: opportunity.

L|ama on
  • Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    I never imagined that there would be people stupid enough to treat furniture as "seasonal."

Every day I underestimate humanity's capacity for stupid.

You'd be surprised. People sometimes throw out what is basically good furniture just because they have purchased new furniture and they either have no room for the old, or it does not match etc etc. We scored some sweet bed-side tables and lamps for my parents' bedroom that way.

I fail to see how this is stupid. I would never throw out usable furniture, but if someone has the money to buy new furniture and get rid of the old whenever they want in a productive way other than a landfill, who gives a fuck.

Spacehog85 on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yeah there's nothing really strange with wanting to buy new furniture every now and then guys

Or do you always wait for things to break down completely before buying new stuff?

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited July 2009
    Speaking of unions, I'm going into year 4 of 5 in the steamfitters (don't ask) union doing HVAC. Get to work some pretty cool places. I was in the Governors Mansion today.

edit: but it was removing an ATC compressor that was put in in 1967. I swear to god it may have been lined with lead.

Spacehog85 on
    edited July 2009
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    Speaking of unions, I'm going into year 4 of 5 in the steamfitters (don't ask) union doing HVAC. Get to work some pretty cool places. I was in the Governors Mansion today.

edit: but it was removing an ATC compressor that was put in in 1967. I swear to god it may have been lined with lead.

You'll be okay. Eat a little bit for good luck.

Metalbourne on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited July 2009
    Spacehog85 wrote: »

You'll be okay. Eat a little bit for good luck.

We eat asbestos. Lead is bad for you.

Spacehog85 on
    edited July 2009
    I am leaving to go skydiving now

i hope i don't die :O
    i didn't die

What a shame.

I kid I kid. First time? Did you have it video taped?

Spacehog85 on
    edited July 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited July 2009
    I am leaving to go skydiving now

i hope i don't die :O
    i didn't die

was it fun?

Metalbourne on
    edited July 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The sensation of falling always made my balls feel funny so I don't know how down with parachuting I'd be.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Argh, I am so sleepy right now

but it's only 8:15

fuck

Moriveth on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Man I wish I was back in high school

That was when I got all my reading done

Both in terms of time and incentive to read a book

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009
    The sensation of falling always made my balls feel funny so I don't know how down with parachuting I'd be.

that feeling is your balls trying to hang onto something.

Metalbourne on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One of my good friends goes to USAFA

only program in the country with an unassisted first jump

sounds teeeerrifying

Charles Kinbote on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One of my good friends goes to USAFA

only program in the country with an unassisted first jump

sounds teeeerrifying

This alone makes me want to join the air force

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Knob wrote: »
    today i am no longer an apprentice machinist bitch in training

today i am a 100% real machinist

yay my job is secure

i was worried i was gonna get laid off

grats............................................................................bro

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • datachomperdatachomper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Habitat for humanity : Restore is a great place to find cheap furniture

datachomper on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My instructor person attached me said to 'Lean your head out' and just as I did the he pushed off out of the fucking plane christ i cannot believe i did that

(it was fucking incredible)

when my mom was in college she was a pretty hardcore skydiver

I brag about that all of the time.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png