As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bongeons and Boneons and boners

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    DE?AD wrote: »
    So, have any of the various supplemental materials for 4e had a magic carpet in them yet?

My pygmy needs a astral surfboard.

I think it put in an appearance in the Adventurers Vault, but was kinda mundane. Check with the Compendium, I guess.

I'm not seeing it.

There is an ornithopter though!

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    That's the thing.

My best characters are the ones I spend a lot of time developing. Plus, immortality is a concept that fascinates me.

Personally I'd love to be immortal

And for some of my characters, it is a desirable thing

For a good deal of them though, nah, not so much. I've had characters refuse resurrection even.

Well, it is hard for me to play an altruistic character. It's a philosophy that's particularly hard for me to deal with. A GOOD character is something I haven't attempted in a while.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Even my evil characters have the occasional altruist streak, although it's mostly directed towards fellow party members so maybe my characters just tend to prefer getting along well with the people who presumably got their back.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The character that refused resurrection was far from altruistic. He was a scummy halfling wizard.

But he felt the rest of the party was at least partially responsible for massive halfling genocide by an opposing army, and had no desire to keep going in the world.

He actually did have a bit of a death wish. It was fun to play the degrading mental state and suicidal tendencies. I don't think anyone noticed it, but still, I enjoyed it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The character that refused resurrection was far from altruistic. He was a scummy halfling wizard.

But he felt the rest of the party was at least partially responsible for massive halfling genocide by an opposing army, and had no desire to keep going in the world.

He actually did have a bit of a death wish. It was fun to play the degrading mental state and suicidal tendencies. I don't think anyone noticed it, but still, I enjoyed it.

I'm glad you could enjoy that. I always feel crushed as a DM when a player refused resurrection. A part of me always feels that it's totally my fault.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh I made it very clear to the DM and the rest of the players why he was refusing. He was ripshit pissed at them for it most of the time, and if he could throw a jab in conversation about it he certainly would.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh I made it very clear to the DM and the rest of the players why he was refusing. He was ripshit pissed at them for it most of the time, and if he could throw a jab in conversation about it he certainly would.

I don't know about you, but it makes me so sad when another player willingly sacrifices his or her character.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    fuuuuck I just built a cool lego altar for my campaign but I don't have enough of the parts to make a second one

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just so long as you keep a stiff upper lip when you sacrifice somebody else's character.

Probad on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Haha, once we had like a martyr off. Two players were willing to martyr themselves in this ridiculous fucking fight, because someone needed to stay behind to hold the door open or something.

In the end an NPC did it.

Let it be noted, my DM runs a particularly brutal game. We're just about to the final encounter, and he's expecting it to be a TPK.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I just noticed they took Chaotic Neutral out of 4e.

Mannnnnnnn

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm a teddy bear, as a DM. I can't bear to kill my players.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009

Mannnnnnnn

Unaligned is so much better. Trust me.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Mannnnnnnn

Chaotic Neutral is the alignment for high school drama fags

as in "LOL I AM RANDOM! MONKEY CHEESE PURPLE BUTT! THIS IS OKAY BECAUSE I AM CHAOTIC NEUTRAL"

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    fuuuuck I just built a cool lego altar for my campaign but I don't have enough of the parts to make a second one

it's got like flames shooting up and a golden thing on the base and a blood red top and I think I'm going to keep modifying it anyways but still I need more legos with flame pieces why are the dragons so expensive

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm a teddy bear, as a DM. I can't bear to kill my players.

I tend to be that too

I'll fuck them up and make them lose fights and all that

But very rarely do I kill players

Straightzi on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Mannnnnnnn

Unless you want to play Planescape.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Theidar wrote: »

Mannnnnnnn

In our 4e campaign, I pretty much had to say "Make your alignment whatever the fuck you want it to be."

The alignment stuff about planescape can be dodged if you don't care a whole lot about it.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is it bad that as a DM I bend probability so that my players never die? Sure, later levels, when they can actually ressurrect eachother I will throw tough shit at them, but as of now I hurt them until they bleed and almost die and usually find a creative way for them to win.

Of course none of them know this.

I find my style as a DM (I've only been doing it for a couple months) is very fast and loose with the rules, but I find being too "tournament-esqe" to have too many drawbacks.

Edit: Beaten by two other DMs. I am not alone!

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    the unfortunate/fortunate side effect of using legos as the core part of battles in my campaign is that I really want to play brikwars

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's possible to play a chaotic neutral character as someone not an annoying prick. The trick is to write "Chaotic Neutral" on your character sheet but play as a True Neutral character with a reasonable dose of skepticism towards authority.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »

Mannnnnnnn

Chaotic Neutral is the alignment for high school drama fags

as in "LOL I AM RANDOM! MONKEY CHEESE PURPLE BUTT! THIS IS OKAY BECAUSE I AM CHAOTIC NEUTRAL"

hmm, maybe you're right...

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Theidar wrote: »

Mannnnnnnn

In our 4e campaign, I pretty much had to say "Make your alignment whatever the fuck you want it to be."

The alignment stuff about planescape can be dodged if you don't care a whole lot about it.

True but it actually meant something/was relevant/was more than just a label and had an important role especially in the outer planes. Towns could slide into a new plane of existence if you could effect the alignment of its inhabitants enough.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not saying you'd play one like that, Tommy

but that is what most people take Chaotic Neutral to mean

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's possible to play a chaotic neutral character as someone not an annoying prick. The trick is to write "Chaotic Neutral" on your character sheet but play as a True Neutral character with a reasonable dose of skepticism towards authority.

See, that's what I was going to aim for, but neutral is cool with me

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Is it bad that as a DM I bend probability so that my players never die? Sure, later levels, when they can actually ressurrect eachother I will throw tough shit at them, but as of now I hurt them until they bleed and almost die and usually find a creative way for them to win.

Of course none of them know this.

I find my style as a DM (I've only been doing it for a couple months) is very fast and loose with the rules, but I find being too "tournament-esqe" to have too many drawbacks.

the campaign I'm in right now has had numerous PCs get dropped in one hit by crits (3.5 crits, by the way) while my cleric has maybe taken 20 points of damage over five levels, so far

when I DM, I dunno, I like it when characters get knocked out, but I don't want to see anyone die, at least not really early into the campaign

the first campaign I ever played in, the DM had a rule for when PCs died; it was that all the other characters had until the dying PCs next round of initiative to bring that character back before they officially died, which not only kept players alive, it helped make battles more intense with people racing against time to save their fallen comrade

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I tend through rules out the window when something more fun suits my fancy.

Such as:

Every alignment exists in 4th edition, screw that jazz.

We are in Eberron, why don't we have an Engineering skill? HAY GUYS YOU CAN NOW TRY AND BUILD MAGITECH, READ THIS BOOK TO GAIN POINTS IN ENGINNEERING AND BUILD MAGITECH GRENADES AND BLOW SHIT UP.

Action Points are so limited. I know! Lets have them also able to restore Dailys instead of just granting standard actions! (choose one or the other)

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

See, that's what I was going to aim for, but neutral is cool with me

Then just do that, no one's going to tell you you are roleplaying wrong.

I consider Unaligned to include Lawful and Chaotic versions of neutrality anyway, same thing for good also meaning chaotic good and evil meaning lawful evil in addition to the neutral varieties. Tying evil to chaoticism and good to lawability was a silly thing.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Such as:

We are in Eberron, why don't we have an Engineering skill? HAY GUYS YOU CAN NOW TRY AND BUILD MAGITECH, READ THIS BOOK TO GAIN POINTS IN ENGINNEERING AND BUILD MAGITECH GRENADES AND BLOW SHIT UP.

Action Points are so limited. I know! Lets have them also able to restore Dailys instead of just granting standard actions! (choose one or the other)

that seems a bit...overpowered

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Such as:

As long as it's fun...

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Death list for this campaign:

Dusty Brown Mark I- insisted on riding his horse across the continent rather than taking the lightning rail (which did not support horses, one of his few sticking points as a character) and was mauled by a dire lion (and not actually killed, he just left the party)

Brent Wellington Barker the Third- joined the party when they tried to beat up Dusty in a hotel, because they thought he was a changeling because they're metagamings SOBs. Killed in the same session he joined when he charged a group of enemy zombies which the party ignored in favor of the changeling in question, hiding in the background.

Drunken Master?- Only half counts, this character was created just as we switched over to 4e, and thus was rendered not very viable at all. Reports very as to whether or not he was retconned into Reed or killed in the train accident that was the first encounter Reed appeared in.

Reed Thinwhistle- aforementioned halfling wizard, who proceeded to watch his entire race get massacred by an undead army. Slowly developed suicidal urges, and when killed by an undead monstrosity, refused a resurrection from the party cleric.

Bear (and Hans)- Bear the dwarf ranger, who fought with his bear Hans, joined the party while exploring a dungeon just 'cause he liked exploring dungeons. He eventually martyred himself when a teleport spell was capable of taking eight people out of a high level enemy infested room, and was eaten by a mind flayer.

Mord Kangoli- Ace airship captain, had his girlfriend and first mate (and incarnation of the goddess of Travel) assassinated in front of him by a Rakshasa. He refused to flee the dock area when an advancing army of godslayers showed up, insisting on killing every Rakshasa in the area, and then almost managing to grab his girlfriend's corpse and grapple gun his way out before being hacked to death.

Captain Dustin Brown Mark II- After spending some time in the army, Dusty became super badass and is currently still alive, advising the party in combat situations and tactical maneuvers and expertise.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Such as:

As long as it's fun...

Well, the action point thing prevents the characters from trying to rest between every encounter. This way they can reach a milestone and restore one of thier powers so they dont feel so exposed.

The Engineering skill is one I designed myself and it costs gold. Alot of gold. You first need the blueprints, then the components, and then you have to take some time to built it as well as a check at the end to see if you fail or not.

It works alot like rituals except for tinkering with tinkery stuff that the arcane skill cant encompass.

Also, the warforged of the group, once he gets high enough in the skill, can start modding himself (which costs gold and also his own "blood"). Essentially I am letting him become a multiclass artificer without having to multiclass.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, here's what I'm thinking:
    Astral Riding Plank Level 11
    Wondrous Item 9,000 gp
    Power (At-Will): Move Action. A character on an Astral Riding Plank can mentally command it to fly 6 squares. When not within the Astral Sea, the plank has a maximum altitude of 1 square. If no rider is upon it, it hovers in place 1 foot above the ground. If the plank is raised higher than 1 square, it drops at a rate of 1 square a round until it reaches its maximum altitude.
    The plank can carry one Medium or Small character of no more than 300 pounds. If more than 300 pounds are placed on it, the plank (and all it carries) falls to the ground, and the character and all objects the board plank holding take falling damage.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Okay, here's what I'm thinking:
    Astral Riding Plank Level 11
    Wondrous Item 9,000 gp
    Power (At-Will): Move Action. A character on an Astral Riding Plank can mentally command it to fly 6 squares. When not within the Astral Sea, the plank has a maximum altitude of 1 square. If no rider is upon it, it hovers in place 1 foot above the ground. If the plank is raised higher than 1 square, it drops at a rate of 1 square a round until it reaches its maximum altitude.
    The plank can carry one Medium or Small character of no more than 300 pounds. If more than 300 pounds are placed on it, the plank (and all it carries) falls to the ground, and the character and all objects the board plank holding take falling damage.

Sounds balanced.

I may be a dick about it, but it sounds good, so far.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I were to play DnD I think I could only play as Lawful Neutral or True Neutral

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    That table was awesome and probably crazy expensive.

Also firetruck should be back from Mongolia soon and we will be able to start up a D&D campaign again. I'm looking forward to trying out a Deva Warden.

you guys are in Lafyett right?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been running keep on the shadowfell for my players, and are having a pretty good time. I went ahead and ordered both the eberron books and mm2.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I have an idea for a halfling Storm Magic sorceror, who really doesn't "generate" magic per say. He is from a long line of halfling rogues who have pilfered their way through history. His father, unfortunately, pissed off a rather powerful storm giant lord, who cursed him. The father, thinking the curse was nothing since he was unaffected went on with his life. When his son was born, a dark cloud materialized in the birth room. It followed the boy around, and the second he was out of anyone's arms struck him with a bolt of lightning.

Long story short, the cloud zaps him, it won't kill him, but it hurts a bit. He learns to channel it into specific things that he wants. The cloud also communicated with him, but no one else, and is his familiar.

tl;dr:
    animeash.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh my god I opened that spoiler than blacked out. I woke up in a puddle of vomit with scratch marks all over my face, what the hell.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    What the fuck I F5'd.

I blame you Marsh

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.