As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slipped a disk in my lower back *UPDATE*

2»

• Options
    BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    Surgery is actually a last resort.

You know, it bothers me when doctors say this. I know it's because they want to try the least invasive procedures first and progress to the more invasive procedures only as a "last resort", but honestly, given the choice of months (if not more) of time consuming and painful physical therapy that's not going to guarantee a resolution to the problem versus an invasive surgery with a painful but short recovery time that has a higher chance of being successful, I'll take the surgery every time. Besides, in the long run, it's cheaper for the consumer to just get the surgery in the first place. Of course, the doctor's don't make as much money... but I digress.

Good luck! Let us know what the doctor says.

Back surgery is notoriously iffy. The idea that it has 'a higher chance of being successful' is a fallacy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17119141?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

BetelguesePDX on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    To deal with his crippling back pain my father in law dropped 40-50 lbs, and took training with a physical therapist. At some point he dropped the regular visits to physical therapist and now largely his maintenance exercises consist of swimming and pilates classes. This exercise regimen seems to be helping him with his back issues and he's just seems a lot happier and more energetic now.

Djeet on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    *another update*
    My chiro thinks that since I'm bouncing back incredibly fast, I either 1) have super healing powers or 2) I don't have a slipped disk, and it's mainly in my muscles. She gave me this stuff called biofreeze, which seems to be helping. I'm still unable to kick or bend forwards, backwards and to the right too far, but things are looking up.

I have a follow up visit after I get back from vacation on monday, and then I'm on my own if it improves from here.

AlyceInWonderland on