As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 07/01/09: Cry for Awesome

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It reminded me of Liberty Prime from Fallout 3.

Lucascraft on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if the rule about introducing a gun in the first act also applies to Robo-Caps.

Also, is it reasonable to hope that the bad half of the Secret Six is going to reconsider its stance on slavery?

P.S. I looked at Marvel Divas, and it pretty much is just Sex and the City with random Marvel characters.

Did Firestar say she has breast cancer?

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I also picked up Dark Reign: Cabal from a couple months ago since my stack was small this week. Dr. Doom's daydream was great, and just further proves why Doom is the best villain ever.

Hensler on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was with Cry of Justice until the end of the Atom scene. Couldn't stand how hokey the... well, literal crying for "justice" was. And Congorilla? Really?

But! Definitely interested enough to keep picking it up. The interactions between Hal and Ollie were great, and the art was wonderful. And I like the extras they packed in, even if that was kind of a clever way of reducing the amount of actual story the book featured.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The bad half of the Secret Six is going to switch sides, if for no other reason than to not get absolutely murdered by WW.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I wonder if the rule about introducing a gun in the first act also applies to Robo-Caps.

Also, is it reasonable to hope that the bad half of the Secret Six is going to reconsider its stance on slavery?

P.S. I looked at Marvel Divas, and it pretty much is just Sex and the City with random Marvel characters.

Did Firestar say she has breast cancer?
    Final page is literally a close-up of Firestar's face as she says, "I have cancer."

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Ohh my god, guys.

Ohh my god.

Cry for Justice is the best fucking thing ever. I haven't even read the entire thing yet; I'm only around half way. It's just so good I had to start this thread so we could all discuss how good it was.

Man, I just could not get into it. Like, at all.

Ray Palmer came off as a faux tough guy, and did something that, after Identity Crisis, you'd really think he'd think twice about before doing. Mikaal Tomas and Congorilla had cheap introductions built around tragedies that came and went so quickly I couldn't find it in me to care about them, even when one involved a character I was interested in biting it. And Robinson did that annoying, repeat-phrases-over-and-over again, thing he did early in his Superman run. Which makes some sense, as this issue was probably written back when Robinson was just coming back to comics.

After as psyched as I was for this, I couldn't believe how much of a letdown it was. Especially after reading fantastic books like Batman and Robin and Green Lantern Corps.

Ha, I didn't even think about Identity Crisis when I was reading Cry for Justice, but you're completely right - isn't that almost exactly what Jean Loring did? What a mess.

Still, I maintain that it's probably best to not "even think about Identity Crisis," when reading a comic book or otherwise!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i agree that Palmer's "Yeah... JUUUSSTTTIIIICCCCEEE!!!!" line was ridiculous. This was an alright issue. I hope the series gets better as I usually don't collect these things issue by issue and prefer to wait for the trade. But I'm committed now!

Also hoping that Libra ends up being the main antagonist of the series and not Prometheus. I love Morrison's Prometheus but don't trust anyone else to use him correctly. And Libra, due to the way he disappeared in FC and his whole role in the saga, is the more interesting character right now.

Rans on
    edited July 2009
    Completely agree, Rans.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Pretty much, but I don't think that was necessarily a bad thing. The dialogue was entertaining and snappy, the use of second string characters and continuity by Aguirre-Sacasa was well done, and the art was very expressive, and really enhanced the character interaction in the book.

My main gripe is that there's really no hook besides, as you said, "Sex and the City with random Marvel characters." If the author had gone to more trouble to plant the seeds for an interesting arc, I'd say it was a great book. As is, it's just a really good one.

It may not be to everyone's tastes, as there's much more of an emphasis on characterization and humor than action, but I really, really enjoyed it.

Munch on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The bad half of the Secret Six is going to switch sides, if for no other reason than to not get absolutely murdered by WW.

On the subject of Secret Six, Jeanette's outfit is one of my favourite super villainess outfits, and does anybody else think that the employers in this story are being massively overwritten as EEEVVVIIILLL!!!!! During the most recent issue i wouldn't have been suprised if the guy pulled out a bag of puppies and started raping and then drowning them during his speech.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009

On the subject of Secret Six, Jeanette's outfit is one of my favourite super villainess outfits, and does anybody else think that the employers in this story are being massively overwritten as EEEVVVIIILLL!!!!! During the most recent issue i wouldn't have been suprised if the guy pulled out a bag of puppies and started raping and then drowning them during his speech.

Not only that, but ten bucks says these slavers end the story confined in a prison of their own making, literally. Irony ahoy!

Robos A Go Go on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Invincible Iron Man #15 is spinning its gears now. Not only do I get the feeling the arc will be split into two trades, but the obvious plot hole in the story just gets bigger and bigger as the story goes on.
    Pepper meets up with Tony, he finally remembers her, but Masque, while having two simple kill shots, decides to follow them to his secret bunker so she can torture Pepper and give the whole neglected damsel routine to Tony.

Add to it the simplest reason to end all this is for Tony to just throw himself into a lava pit or have Wolverine cut his head off, it's now two big blinders put on the series for the sake of making a dramatic arc.

We all know there are some things you can't get away with in a superhero comic made by the big two, especially with the bigger name characters, but when you keep adding up those things up and then put them in the same room so to speak, the reader can see the flaws in the story which makes you wonder why even do this particular story. It's a lot like the Bond villain tying him up and explaining the plot, then turning away and just assuming Bond will be dead, when Fraction is actually showing the simpler way to resolve the conflict but purposely ignoring it in maybe some meta "look what I can't do" logic, I don't know. Maybe my dislike of Fraction's Uncanny work is seeping into this book, but it's just spinning it's wheels now, and hasn't felt like it's been moving forward since Tony fought Rhodey.

Also, I have heard next to nothing about Reborn. And it wasn't exactly flying off the shelves at my LCS, compared to a book like B&R #2.

I totally agree with you about Iron Man. This arc was going incredibly strong for about the first 5 issues and now it seems to have stalled out with overly dramatic moments. Fraction seems to have developed a bad habit of adding a lot of extra fluff to his issues, simply so he can draw out the length of an arc.

And one question re: Iron Man --
    I didn't realize Tony and Pepper were on fucking terms. I thought he always wanted her, and she always kept a professional distance. Seemed really odd to me to see her get out of bed naked and be looking for him.

I think there's a pretty good reason for why Masque didn't kill Tony or Pepper: they want what's in Tony's head, which means they can't kill him. They also can't torture him, since he won't give anything up. What they can do is torture Pepper for the info in Tony's head. As for why Tony doesn't just jump in a volcano, I agree on that point. What he's doing now is just reckless.

BostonGangler on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    weenus wrote: »
    The portrayal of Adam X was both excessive... and excessively perfect. Although again, I feel like someone missed out on a meeting by having Roberto be involved in that little C list mutant rioter squad, especially when he's involved in the new (and awesome) new mutants.

Hahaha, it was definitely a dig at 90's comics. If you're a comic character designed in the 90s, it's a pretty good bet that you were specifically made to be as "EXTREME!" as possible.

BostonGangler on
    edited July 2009
    Here are the scans of Artemis in Secret Six #11:
    So the guards put her back in her cell, but they decide to fondle her and "check for contraband"
    The captain comes in and stops them, and you have this conversation:

ss11a.jpg

ss11b.jpg

After the Secret Six talk about their job over dinner, Jeanette sneaks away at night to break Artemis free. Apparently they've met before:

ss11c.jpg

ss11d.jpg

And then the Sinister Six fight amongst themselves about honoring their contract, and WW shows up saying who killed her sister?

TexiKen on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Star Wars: invasion

the yuuzhan vong come in and start slaughtering everyone. the characters open up a door and find a whole bunch of vong lying in bloody piles with a lone figure over them. That figure?
    luke fucking skywalker.

Bloods End on
    edited July 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Star Wars: invasion

the yuuzhan vong come in and start slaughtering everyone. the characters open up a door and find a whole bunch of vong lying in bloody piles with a lone figure over them. That figure?
    luke fucking skywalker.

Hmmm, maybe I need to read Star Wars books again...

Hensler on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Not only that, but ten bucks says these slavers end the story confined in a prison of their own making, literally. Irony ahoy!

I'd love to know how you go about recruiting for an EEEEEVVVVIIIILLLL!!!! organization. A bad organization that wants to steal lots of shit and get rich from crime, easy to find members. An Evil organization that wants to rule the world and crush its enemies beneath their boots, tricky but there's still joiners for that.

But an EEEEVIIILLLL!!! organization that wants to build a gigantic prison to house every bad guy in the world and randomly enslave people based on a lottery system, who the fuck looks at the flier for that one and decides "yes, this is a group that i'd be proud to be a part of and i see no problems with this plan". Hell the Secret Six could have just pointed out there are already lots of prisons that have been built by the most advanced countries in the world, and those can't succeed in holding all of the super villains, so there's dick all chance of banana republic constructions hanging on to all of them together in one place.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Are you serious I'd sign up in a heartbeat

You want I should give you my boot size

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009
    I don't see why a guy like Deadshot would favor a super-prison over simply executing the Joker. He's indifferent to the rights of political dissidents and slavery, but he's opposed to the death penalty?

I know he doesn't explicitly say he's opposed to the death penalty, but if he wasn't I'd have expected him to think of it as an alternative to what he was supporting.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't see why a guy like Deadshot would favor a super-prison over simply executing the Joker. He's indifferent to the rights of political dissidents and slavery, but he's opposed to the death penalty?

He's also pro choice.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When your name is "Deadshot" you know that it is easier to take a life than it is to bring one back... after, after the shot. The Deadshot.

*shuffles away*

Caveman Paws on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Awesome:

Goon TPB and Starman Omnibus vol 3

The Bad:

No copies of Rage of the red lanterns or the Boys vol 4 :(

Psychotic One on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Exiles continues to be awesome. Moment of the Week probably goes to Lorna making a Toy Story reference. Most shocking would probably be the huge fucking cliff hangar they left us in that issue.

kfrooster on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    Exiles continues to be awesome. Moment of the Week probably goes to Lorna making a Toy Story reference. Most shocking would probably be the huge fucking cliff hangar they left us in that issue.

Yeah.
    At first I was like, "Holy shit, Lorna is a fucking robot!" Then I noticed that there are containers of organs around (specifically a heart in the background) so who knows.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This week brought Won Ton Soup 2 into my hands, so that wins hands down. It is quite a bit different than 1. Basically, these two space trucker guys get wicked stoned on alien drugs and have a whacky adventure. The art is amazing, the writing is good. The art has noticeably improved since the last volume, which is really nice. And it is funny.

Destroyer was pretty decent. It had a better mix of character stuff and comically bloody action than the last issue. Is anyone else reading it?

DouglasDanger on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I know he doesn't explicitly say he's opposed to the death penalty, but if he wasn't I'd have expected him to think of it as an alternative to what he was supporting.

Maybe he doesn't support the death penalty because he doesn't want to be executed if he's caught? I don't imagine many super villains would support it.

Also, I keep getting confused when people call the Secret Six the Sinister Six. They're two different groups, stop doing it.

Anywho, Batman and Robin was amazing. I love how Morrison/Quitely are making Dick's Batman so unique, from the way he fights to the circus freaks enemies.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Maybe he doesn't support the death penalty because he doesn't want to be executed if he's caught? I don't imagine many super villains would support it.

Also, I keep getting confused when people call the Secret Six the Sinister Six. They're two different groups, stop doing it.

Anywho, Batman and Robin was amazing. I love how Morrison/Quitely are making Dick's Batman so unique, from the way he fights to the circus freaks enemies.

The circus lingo really through me for a loop the first time I read it, forgetting for a moment that dick was in a circus, then I realized just how awesome both the villains and the lingo were.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Black Bolt is a dick.

Weaver on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Black Bolt is a dick.

Well, all of the Inhumans except Crystal have become dicks.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this is true

Weaver on
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone been reading Fantastic Four? If so, is it true that
    The Marquis of Death is an alternate universe version of that dude from Millar's 1985?

Also, has anything been said about why he chooses apprentices when you can't teach omnipotence, and why he's destroying the universe?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    Some scans of FF showed up on S_D this afternoon, and it was just bad. It's as if Millar is imitating himself on purpose, kind of like how people suspect Frank Miller is doing the same thing on All Star Batman & Robin.

But to answer your question, it does seem to be that person from what others have written.

The more amazing thing is two books with Bryan Hitch art came out this week, how bizarro is that?

TexiKen on
  • Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone been reading Fantastic Four? If so, is it true that
    The Marquis of Death is an alternate universe version of that dude from Millar's 1985?

Also, has anything been said about why he chooses apprentices when you can't teach omnipotence, and why he's destroying the universe?

Yes to the first two questions. As for the third, because evil always needs someone who's also evil, but slightly less, so they look even more evil by comparison. And he's destroying the universe just because...even though that's where he keeps all his stuff.

Blingston Hughes on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I was with Cry of Justice until the end of the Atom scene. Couldn't stand how hokey the... well, literal crying for "justice" was. And Congorilla? Really?

I picked this up because of Hadjiquest's enthusiasm. I thought it read a little light, and the 'crying for justice' scenes were really forced. If anything, I think the characters are looking more for revenge than anything else.

And when did Ray Palmer become the Punisher?

KidDork on
    edited July 2009
    Can't say I've ever read 1985, but I am enjoying this "Doom's Master" arc. Is 1985 worth picking up next time I'm at the comic shop?

Hensler on
    edited July 2009
    KidDork wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    the characters are looking more for revenge than anything else.

That will be the moral that everybody learns at the end.

Hensler on
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever read 1985, but I am enjoying this "Doom's Master" arc. Is 1985 worth picking up next time I'm at the comic shop?

It was ok, but nothing mind blowing. The dialogue was kinda cheesy, and I think the premise couldn't withstand a 6 issue series, but it's got that Millar over-the-top sensibility.

I'd put it on par with his Enemy of the State run in Wolverine, but without the bonus of Romita art.

Blingston Hughes on
    edited July 2009
    Gee, Aunt Petunia is way foxier than you'd think.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    No kidding. I actually had to do some research after that bit. The woman is almost his same age. Also, she's his aunt by marriage. Bonus

Blingston Hughes on