As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX 2009 KEYNOTE SPEAKER REVEALED

Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in PAX Archive
From Flash Fire Communications to me

For Immediate Release

PAX 2009 KEYNOTE SPEAKER REVEALED

Look Behind You, a Three-Headed Monkey!

SEATTLE - June 29, 2009 - PAX 2009 organizers humbly announced today that industry legend Ron Gilbert will grace the stage as keynote speaker at the sixth annual gaming festival to be held Sept. 4-6 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center.

Legendary storyteller, game designer, programmer and producer Ron Gilbert has created countless classic video games, including the seminal LucasArts works Maniac Mansion and first two installments in the Monkey Island adventure series. His more than 20-year career in the games industry encompasses co-founding three game studios, creating the famous SCUMM scripting language and being inducted into the Computer Game Hall of Fame. He is currently creative director at independent development studio Hothead Games in Vancouver, Canada.

"This is an unbelievable moment for us," commented Penny Arcade's Robert Khoo. "I wasted an entire family vacation one year trying to figure out how to win that stupid spitting competition." Gilbert joins an illustrious group of past PAX keynote speakers, including noted geek icon Wil Wheaton and innovative game designer Ken Levine.

In addition to the highly anticipated keynote address, numerous panels and game demonstrations, Omegathon and The PAX 10 independent games showcase, PAX 2009 will offer attendees an unparalleled musical experience with performances from Freezepop, Jonathan Coulton, MC Frontalot, Paul and Storm, Anamanaguchi and Metroid Metal.

Jules@Party934.com on

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Am I the only one less than uber excited about this one? He worked on the Penny Arcade Adventures, but beyond that, there doesn't seem to be too much there. Maybe I'm missing something.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Am I the only one less than uber excited about this one? He worked on the Penny Arcade Adventures, but beyond that, there doesn't seem to be too much there. Maybe I'm missing something.

What the fuck... youve never played the hugely popular monkey island games? or the lucas arts adventure games?
    OR Total annihilation?

If not... you're fired.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes!

The Monkey Island games were the best point and click adventures EVAR!

And Cavedog / Total Annihilation may have been the best strategy game I've ever played.
    I mean, c'mon, you could put your air units in formation!

And Telltale's coming out with the episodic Redux of Monkey Island.

I can't wait.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

What the fuck... youve never played the hugely popular monkey island games? or the lucas arts adventure games?
    OR Total annihilation?

If not... you're fired.
    fraid not. i've heard of the monkey island games, but didn't know they were that popular.

you'll have my resignation in the morning. :)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    I used to play the crap out of Total Annihilation and Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. Protip: in Kingdoms, the trebuchet had ridiculous range. Like, half the map range.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Time for you to do some research.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

HAHAHAAH, are you serious?

Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Monkey Island games, and Total Annihilation my man! These are all PC classics!

Wormdundee on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Plus, he actually is a good speaker (so I hear) ...

I'm looking forward to this more than I was Levine... and Levine was pretty good. So this should be awesome.

parabola on
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maniac Mansion was where it was at!

Azazel on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    damnit now I have to find and play a whole bunch of games that I somehow missed during my stint as a child.

MetaverseNomad on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yesYesYES!
    :D

ACC3SS on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    damnit now I have to find and play a whole bunch of games that I somehow missed during my stint as a child.

Seriously.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Odd note on this point, Ron Gilbert was an unannounced participant in last year's "Writing for Video Games" Q & A panel.

He had a lot of interesting things to say about how involved he was in the programming and designing for Monkey Island, and it was cool to see someone who... well, "grew up" with storytelling in video games - the other panelists was a fantasy author who writes for Guild Wars and a representative from Harmonix (why?) as well as another distinguished guest who's name and affiliation escape me.

This is gonna be a good keynote, though.

mrsnackroad on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Well, with the new announcement, you don't have to wait long. Secret of Monkey Island is hitting Steam and XBLA next week.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

OR Total annihilation?

If not... you're fired.
    I missed the SCUMM boat by about two generations of gaming. I can't say I can really relate to this one either.

I guess SCUMM was a big thing but that was forever and a year go. Wouldn't someone more recognizable or someone more involved with recent titles be a better candidate?

EDIT: oh wait, the Monkey Island remake. But that's not out yet and no one knows how it will turn out.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2009

OR Total annihilation?

If not... you're fired.
    I missed the SCUMM boat by about two generations of gaming. I can't say I can really relate to this one either.

I guess SCUMM was a big thing but that was forever and a year go. Wouldn't someone more recognizable or someone more involved with recent titles be a better candidate?

EDIT: oh wait, the Monkey Island remake. But that's not out yet and no one knows how it will turn out.

i feel slightly less alone in the world :)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Eh, he IS working on the Penny Arcade Adventures games, that was probably something of a factor in him being the keynote. It gives the PA guys easy access to a well-known gaming figure (for everyone who's in their twenties and above anyway).

Wormdundee on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok, so I started playing Secret of Monkey Island last night. I can not BELIEVE I had never heard of it before!!! I would have looooooooved playing that when it came out, and I think at one point I even searched far and wide for new point-and-click games and somehow missed it. how?!?!?

MetaverseNomad on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They did that last year with Ken Levine. Good games, like good books, don't age. If his presence at PAX motivates a younger generation to seek out some of the classics that he created then I think that will benefit the gaming community as a whole.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As someone who owns all four Monkey Island games (Yes I know Ron was only involved with the first two but I'm making a point here.), and Maniac Mansion in their original disc forms. Also as someone who plans on buying the remake of the first game next week. I am curious to see if I'm the only one who will be on his hands and knees doing my best Wayne and Garth impression when he walks on stage.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Grumpy Gamer is also highly entertaining.

parabola on
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    They did that last year with Ken Levine. Good games, like good books, don't age. If his presence at PAX motivates a younger generation to seek out some of the classics that he created then I think that will benefit the gaming community as a whole.
    The reason people come to a keynote at all is because they recognize/admire the speaker. You would have to have appreciated Monkey Island beforehand in order to have an incentive to attend the keynote, not the other way around. People's schedules are packed and those who have prior experience with PAX will know full well not to risk dissatisfaction with something that MIGHT be interesting.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    The reason people come to a keynote at all is because they recognize/admire the speaker. You would have to have appreciated Monkey Island beforehand in order to have an incentive to attend the keynote, not the other way around. People's schedules are packed and those who have prior experience with PAX will know full well not to risk dissatisfaction with something that MIGHT be interesting.

I somewhat disagree. The keynote is the first event of PAX, and pretty much the only other thing going on, iirc, is the expo hall, which is open most of the weekend. Regardless of my initial interest in the speaker, I'll still always go to the keynote, because it tends to be interesting regardless.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I somewhat disagree. The keynote is the first event of PAX, and pretty much the only other thing going on, iirc, is the expo hall, which is open most of the weekend. Regardless of my initial interest in the speaker, I'll still always go to the keynote, because it tends to be interesting regardless.

Not if you are on shift you wont :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited July 2009

Not if you are on shift you wont :P
    yes, sir.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I went to the 07 Keynote without really knowing who Wil Wheaton was. I'd seen 2 or 3 TNG episodes in a jr high school science class. I went because it was my first PAX and I wanted the full experience. You don't need to know who the Keynote is to enjoy it. I looked up Wheaton's books (and more TNG) after I saw him speak at PAX.

Mudkipz, by your logic I wouldn't want to demo any games because they might not be interesting. I might not want to go to PAX if I've never been, because it might be lame and I could have other, safer (socially more comfortable) plans on Labor Day weekend.

But this year I'll probably be on shift...

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The keynote speech is always super packed, if you don't find the speaker interesting enough to attend, more room for the rest of us :) Me, the only one of his games I've really played was Maniac Mansion, and I never finished that. But I know how big the Monkey Island series was, and think it'd be great to listen to a guy from the early days of the industry speak. Especially since I've already worked with and even shared an office with the Monkey Island background artist.

Dreamwriter on
This discussion has been closed.