As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Artist's Corner
chinchilla.jpg

Veritas on

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    2ngevl2.jpg

21d0mqw.jpg

Sorry WCK I like this title better.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh god

Loomdun on
    splat
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You guys can't see me but I'm throwing up the fucking horns right now.

Metalbourne on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PCM2010color.jpg

"Old school" themed doodle of the mascot for an anime con.

melting_doll on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pretty rad MD, pretty rad indeed.

Mustang on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Sorry WCK I like this title better.

Dude, AS IF! It was a clever reference to The Simpsons!!!

winter_combat_knight on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I enjoy the overalls making the :D face

Fugitive on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    trying out a new comic sort of style to drawing.

What do you guys think? *edit* linked it to photobucket, Mustang you might need a devient account to view the linked DA files?
    lion-commic.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited July 2009
    I can never see linked Dev Art, is it just me?

Mustang on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Went through some screenprints and lithographs from my printmaking class a little over a year ago. Mainly for that, I'm not making a thread for them, though I suppose they do represent my current skill level, particularly with design, about as well as anything recent I've got, so crits, at least on that aspect, are still welcome. I gotta say, though, that it's a bitch trying to get really saturated ink colors to scan well; I had to do some major adjustments, and even then, the colors aren't all that accurate.

litho.png

screen1s.png

screen2.png

crawdaddio on
  • exitexit Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    skeetcccccccching for the god mixup thing. chac + artemis

chacartemis.jpg

i have trouble with feet in general but i also have no idea how the sandal should look on the foot under her ass. or.. the cloth folds. or the lighting.

but hopefully it'll be done by the deadline! ^^

exit on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    screen2.png

Nice to see a fellow printer's work Craw - good stuff!

A couple of things which you could have approached differently with the above.

I presume you didn't plan to have the red or blue show under the edges of the black?

What you could have done there is print only the red and blue shapes on the red and blue layers, and not duplicate the design printed in black -- except, to make registration easier, you would make those shapes a tiny bit larger than the space they fill inside the black outline (in Photoshop terms, you would Select > Modify > Expand by, say, 3px or so). -- that means you would have the edge of your shapes extend about a third into the thickness of your thick black lines, and not right up to the edge as they are in your print.

That way, when you print the black it actually overlaps the edges of the red/blue shapes and is a bit more forgiving if your registration is slightly off, and you don't have to be exact within fractions of millimeters.

This is known as trapping and is very useful when printing by hand (clever automatic presses are FAR more accurate, so you don't always need to trap your layers... but it certainly doesn't hinder the process). Sometimes, of course, you want to go for the 'off register' look and not control things so tightly.

Hopefully that made sense (if not, I'll whip up a diagram)!

It is likely that nobody understands what I'm on about at all here. o_O

Grenn on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thread title is so awesome I must post doodles:

This was a request, I know it is strange:

NatT.jpg
    NatT2.jpg

A drawing of Thelonious Monk:

Monk.jpg

And a doodle of my favorite artist, Tom Waits:

TomWaits.jpg

crits? Crits!

brokecracker on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man melting doll, i seriously am in love with pretty much everything you do.

beavotron on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I approve of this title.

Also, yes indeedy, Miss Doll, that is pretty swank.

NightDragon on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Grenn wrote: »

I got it, I'm still a semester away from getting any screen printing classes but I've done similar things with stencils and spray paint for the same reason.

It's also one of those terms I hear about a lot - but except for screenprinting or handprinted stuff - I'm never sure where it would apply.

Veritas on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    [img][/img]

Nice to see a fellow printer's work Craw - good stuff!

A couple of things which you could have approached differently with the above.

I presume you didn't plan to have the red or blue show under the edges of the black?

What you could have done there is print only the red and blue shapes on the red and blue layers, and not duplicate the design printed in black -- except, to make registration easier, you would make those shapes a tiny bit larger than the space they fill inside the black outline (in Photoshop terms, you would Select > Modify > Expand by, say, 3px or so). -- that means you would have the edge of your shapes extend about a third into the thickness of your thick black lines, and not right up to the edge as they are in your print.

That way, when you print the black it actually overlaps the edges of the red/blue shapes and is a bit more forgiving if your registration is slightly off, and you don't have to be exact within fractions of millimeters.

This is known as trapping and is very useful when printing by hand (clever automatic presses are FAR more accurate, so you don't always need to trap your layers... but it certainly doesn't hinder the process). Sometimes, of course, you want to go for the 'off register' look and not control things so tightly.

Hopefully that made sense (if not, I'll whip up a diagram)!

No worries, it made sense; I'm familiar with trapping. The couple of main reasons I couldn't employ it here is because part of the assignment was that it was to be a reduction print, and then secondarily because this was all manual (which doesn't entirely prevent one from trapping, I realize, but it was an introductory printmaking class, and they didn't go over how). I really want to build my own screenprinting rig, so I can experiment with stuff like trapping, and practice things like registration (which, as you can see, needs work), but it'll have to wait until I have some scratch.

[tiny]Incidentally, that other print was also registered by hand, which I'm pretty proud of (I couldn't trap there, either, because the colors weren't opaque, and the tiniest overlap would show (and did, in a couple less successful prints). Still would have liked something a bit less...jury-rigged, though.[/tiny]

crawdaddio on
    edited July 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    man melting doll, i seriously am in love with pretty much everything you do.

Ditto, my darling hero! <3

And exit, I look forward to seeing it colored [strike]if[/strike] when you do.

melting_doll on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    xcqfiu.jpg

Tam on
  • Pink TentaclePink Tentacle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tentacle_WIP_by_RichardNobody.jpg

doodlan ensues.

Pink Tentacle on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Quick painting of friends character/gaia av for her.

pepfacedone.png

Kochikens on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Acrylic on cardboad. Not a huge fan, but figured i would show it.
    cardboard-2.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PLaying with photos
    mecopy.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited July 2009
    warmup sketch
    warmup_sketch_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like Boo from Monsters Inc. LOL

winter_combat_knight on
    edited July 2009
    It is boo.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    no joke.. what made you think it wasnt lol..

Leggraphics on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Didn't draw the original sketches for these. A guy I knew my first semester of college had some pen and pencil sketches up on his DA so I've been playing around with them. The first one I did back, man, about 5 months ago, so I'll probably never finish it. And, yes, I know that a lot of the rendering is pretty shitty. Especially around his chest. The second is just a WIP, been doing it after work the past two days.

penorcbygreglycopy.jpg

rosebygreglycopy.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited July 2009
    Getting a lot better Radar, your foreshortening is lightyears ahead of the first stuff you ever posted here.

Some lunchtime noodles.

doodle.png

Mustang on
  • HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    havent posted in a while...some summer doodles, been trying to get better with illustrator. crits welcomed

blackmothsmall.jpg w400.png
    balddoodlesmall.jpg w400.png
    flowersmall.jpg w400.png
    eyeknow2.jpg w443.png
    tower3small.jpg w400.png

Haxagor on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Incidentally, that other print was also registered by hand, which I'm pretty proud of (I couldn't trap there, either, because the colors weren't opaque, and the tiniest overlap would show (and did, in a couple less successful prints). Still would have liked something a bit less...jury-rigged, though.

Ah, for a reduction print, you've actually approached that very well. I've never actually done one myself but they frequently seem to be taught at print-making classes. Personally speaking, I think it's because it's quite an easy concept to teach but once most people get into multi-sep printing, they don't go back to reductive. It's a bit too restrictive.

Re. the registration on your other print -- that's some really nice work! Transparency of medium is actually something I take advantage of quite a lot by layering -- as you can see here where I printed red over the grey to effectively get two shades of red on the roses:

gall_detail.jpg

Screenprinting is <3

Grenn on
    edited July 2009
    like your character on the left mustang :D

Leggraphics on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Getting a lot better Radar, your foreshortening is lightyears ahead of the first stuff you ever posted here.

>_> Well, like I said, I'm just drawing over my buddy's doodles. I did the colors for both, and inked the bottom one.

So anything in the composition or foreshortening department in this case isn't really mine. I would like to say that those sketches I had in the Limp thread were a lot better with foreshortening though, so if you were also referring to those I'd take the compliment. Otherwise, you'd have to 'grats my friend.

Here are the original sketches I was going over:
    Pen_Orc_by_gregly.jpg
    Rose_by_gregly.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I forgot to post this in the limp thread:

So Hardcore
    SmallPeas.png

worstcase on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Incidentally, that other print was also registered by hand, which I'm pretty proud of (I couldn't trap there, either, because the colors weren't opaque, and the tiniest overlap would show (and did, in a couple less successful prints). Still would have liked something a bit less...jury-rigged, though.

Ah, for a reduction print, you've actually approached that very well. I've never actually done one myself but they frequently seem to be taught at print-making classes. Personally speaking, I think it's because it's quite an easy concept to teach but once most people get into multi-sep printing, they don't go back to reductive. It's a bit too restrictive.

Re. the registration on your other print -- that's some really nice work! Transparency of medium is actually something I take advantage of quite a lot by layering -- as you can see here where I printed red over the grey to effectively get two shades of red on the roses:

gall_detail.jpg

Screenprinting is <3
    oh my god look at that marry me right now

Orikaeshigitae on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My brain isn't letting me do a damn thing I want.

Untitledxghjdf2.jpg

bunch of quick doodles in 30ish mins.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited July 2009
    I like your color choices, Haxagor, but I don't like the pictures being links with the dumbtest ad on the bottom. D:

embrace.jpg

melting_doll on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    melting_doll, I will be sending you a bill for my insulin shots.

NightDragon on
    edited July 2009
    Blame AoB.
    MyPicture-2-1.jpg

melting_doll on
    edited July 2009
    Weeeeeeee!

doodle0001.png

EDIT: Why is it that you can always pick up 10 or so different errors only after you've inked it and uploaded it? Stupid eyes.

Mustang on
This discussion has been closed.