As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• ImkishImkish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Haha, not poorly structured, just mistaken. It was aimed towards the general audience, not you. Maybe should have thrown an "if you haven't" in there. And I agree they should and certainly can enjoy it, I'm just saying for people not to call out Turbine on things when they HAVEN'T read the book, wasn't trying to imply that's what you were doing. Was really just trying to lead into the anecdote.

Imkish on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just finished v1bk7ch8 Into Carn Dum. Poor man. :(

Aldo on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Just finished v1bk7ch8 Into Carn Dum. Poor man. :(

:( I bought the Putrid slime off of the AH for 6 gold because I didn't want to go there. Are you saying in order to complete the book I still do? Oops.

Shens on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Entriech wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone's got one of those fancy Founder invites, do they? WoW's become..problematic for me lately, and I've been looking for a change.

I got a founders invite by posting on their trial forums begging for one. Got one in my email the next day.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Imkish wrote: »
    Haha, not poorly structured, just mistaken. It was aimed towards the general audience, not you. Maybe should have thrown an "if you haven't" in there. And I agree they should and certainly can enjoy it, I'm just saying for people not to call out Turbine on things when they HAVEN'T read the book, wasn't trying to imply that's what you were doing. Was really just trying to lead into the anecdote.

Well all I meant was that Turbine *did* make up a lot of stuff. That said, I think they did a really good job of integrating their material seamlessly into Tolkien's.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Running into Old Man Willow was certainly a shock. Too bad nothing really happens besides a weak debuff. :(

I thought as you got closer that those debuffs start stacking up and will eventually kill you. Maybe they toned it down a bit from launch though.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Running into Old Man Willow was certainly a shock. Too bad nothing really happens besides a weak debuff. :(

I thought as you got closer that those debuffs start stacking up and will eventually kill you. Maybe they toned it down a bit from launch though.

I'm pretty sure that all it does is drain your power.

Now, those towers out in Angmar...

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Happily enough when I was able to finally get through to someone in Account Services on the phone, we got everything straightened out. Going to make sure it sticks first, but my wife and I may be harassing you folks soon enough.

Entriech on
  • FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright, so me and my friends are level 18 - whats the lowest level dungeon, and do we get quests there?

Also, for the 'epic' quest chain - I think im on volume 1, book 1, chapter... 3? I just did a quest involving the unfortunate liching of a ranger. How many books/volumes/chapters are there?

LAST QUESTION

Were all in Bree currently and I want to know if the shire is the starting hobbit area - we just got to bree and arent really sure where to quest.

Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I recall correctly, Bree is the perfect place to quest at level 18.

So, it looks like I convinced my friend to roll a character up on Landroval. Is there any chance he could become a Barrovian as a friend of a Penny Arcade forumer?

Silas Brown on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there any EU lotr guilds?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright, so me and my friends are level 18 - whats the lowest level dungeon, and do we get quests there?

Also, for the 'epic' quest chain - I think im on volume 1, book 1, chapter... 3? I just did a quest involving the unfortunate liching of a ranger. How many books/volumes/chapters are there?

LAST QUESTION

Were all in Bree currently and I want to know if the shire is the starting hobbit area - we just got to bree and arent really sure where to quest.
    The lowest level dungeon is the Great Barrow, which is about lvl.20. The quests for it are all obtained in Bree. Vol.1, Bk.1, Ch.11 also takes place in the Great Barrow, but I think the epic story instance is different from the normal dungeon.

Vol.1 is the base game and I believe it has 15 books. Vol.2 is, naturally, the MoM expansion, which just had the 8th book released in the most recent patch.

The Shire is the starting Hobbit area, at your level there isn't much left to do there. Like Archet/Combe, it's designed to get you up to 15 or so. You'll want to go to the Lone-Lands when you run out of quests in Bree-land, and also the North Downs around level 20.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited July 2009
    Enig wrote: »
    The lowest level dungeon is the Great Barrow, which is about lvl.20. The quests for it are all obtained in Bree. Vol.1, Bk.1, Ch.11 also takes place in the Great Barrow, but I think the epic story instance is different from the normal dungeon.

I think they've moved all the GB quest givers out to the entrance to the GB itself.

Simon Moon on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »

I think they've moved all the GB quest givers out to the entrance to the GB itself.

Really? Was that in the book 8 patch? I did GB a week or two ago and I had to find the quests in Bree, including running back and forth for that annoying Barrows quest chain from the guy by the Loremaster trainer. Too bad I missed that change, I guess.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

LAST QUESTION

Vol.1 is the base game and I believe it has 15 books. Vol.2 is, naturally, the MoM expansion, which just had the 8th book released in the most recent patch.

The Shire is the starting Hobbit area, at your level there isn't much left to do there. Like Archet/Combe, it's designed to get you up to 15 or so. You'll want to go to the Lone-Lands when you run out of quests in Bree-land, and also the North Downs around level 20.

Also remember that Bree-Land is bigger than it first appears. Don't forget about all the stuff in the Old Forest and Barrow Downs. Also there are a couple quests up by the horse people that head out into that huge unpopulated area north of Archet.

If you do all the stuff in Bree land you should be about level 21-22.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited July 2009
    So I got my deluxe house last night. 6 Chalk Road, Starshot, Shire Homesteads. Stop by and visit sometime. :D

Triple B on
    edited July 2009
    I can't get any reading of Lord of the Rings done because I'm too busy playing this game!!!

Silas Brown on
  • VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hi all, Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but...

I did the beta, but didn't buy the game after. I was thinking of starting it up with some friends, and I see the founders thing talked about like as long as you played in the Beta, you can still do it. Is that true? Do I just need to do the 9.99 buy the game offer I keep getting in my e-mail and make sure I use the same e-mail address, and I get the price?

Thanks.

VulnoX on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I too just recently bought my deluxe house. It's at 2 High Road, Flitton, Bree Homesteads. Just across from the kin house, so pop in and take a look if you're on your way to take a sip from the Sinister Keg.

Aistan on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    VulnoX wrote: »

I did the beta, but didn't buy the game after. I was thinking of starting it up with some friends, and I see the founders thing talked about like as long as you played in the Beta, you can still do it. Is that true? Do I just need to do the 9.99 buy the game offer I keep getting in my e-mail and make sure I use the same e-mail address, and I get the price?

Thanks.
    My understanding from talking to account services on wednesday is that the 3 months for 29.97$ promotion is over, and as of tomorrow they'll be unable to special move anyone's subscription to it. I know that when I sent an invite from my new account to my wife, it showed up as a "Founder" 10 day invite when she put the key in, and while that allowed her to purchase the game for 9.99$, it didn't allow the special monthly rate.

Edit: For what it's worth, I had a beta account too, and while it seems like it'll let me upgrade on it for 9.99$ to the MoM expansion, it also didn't offer the special 9.99$ rate anymore.

Entriech on
    edited July 2009
    Entriech wrote: »

Thanks.
    My understanding from talking to account services on wednesday is that the 3 months for 29.97$ promotion is over, and as of tomorrow they'll be unable to special move anyone's subscription to it. I know that when I sent an invite from my new account to my wife, it showed up as a "Founder" 10 day invite when she put the key in, and while that allowed her to purchase the game for 9.99$, it didn't allow the special monthly rate.

Edit: For what it's worth, I had a beta account too, and while it seems like it'll let me upgrade on it for 9.99$ to the MoM expansion, it also didn't offer the special 9.99$ rate anymore.

Thank you for the reply, I see the $9.99 thing, and yeah, it says $14.99 for my monthly. Not the end of the world, not like I followed the rules from the start (buying the game after beta), so no complaints. Thought I would try it out and give WoW a break.

Thanks again!

VulnoX on
    edited July 2009
    Buwahaha! I convinced my brother to try the trial! We shall see if he, too, will join the fight against the shadow.

Silas Brown on
    edited July 2009
    He ought to. I really don't see how anyone who gives this game a fair chance would ever not love it.

Triple B on
    edited July 2009
    He's downloading the game now and called me just to tell me that the Wikipedia entry for the game is making him hard. He's already talking about buying it tonight and he hasn't even tried it. This is bordering on insane, I'm afraid he's getting so worked up he'll be dissapointed.

Silas Brown on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He's downloading the game now and called me just to tell me that the Wikipedia entry for the game is making him hard.

This is the point where you hang up, buddy. And then maybe destroy your phone with fire.

freakish light on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I rolled an elf and my brother a human, where and when can we meet up the soonest to quest together?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    So I rolled an elf and my brother a human, where and when can we meet up the soonest to quest together?

I'd say at around level 12-15. Do starting zones for each race and head to Bree. There will be plenty to do at that level.

Alternatively, do prologue for each race, do some quests in each starting zone and then head to Shire at about 9-10. At that level the quests there still give some xp, and the two of you can breeze through the zone. Word of warning though, Shire is a very “special” zone that people either love or hate. I loved it, but I'm a known masochist....

JohanFlick on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, Larrel here. Just wanted to update and say that the trip I was leaving for a week or two ago was to check on a sick family member; the family member in question is doing worse than expected so I've been staying to help out with some things here -- this is why I've not been on in awhile. I'll be back when able, but until then my LM is gonna stay MIA for awhile.

Raynaga on
    edited July 2009
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »

I'd say at around level 12-15. Do starting zones for each race and head to Bree. There will be plenty to do at that level.

Alternatively, do prologue for each race, do some quests in each starting zone and then head to Shire at about 9-10. At that level the quests there still give some xp, and the two of you can breeze through the zone. Word of warning though, Shire is a very “special” zone that people either love or hate. I loved it, but I'm a known masochist....

There are fast travels available from each of the starting zones to each of the other starting zones, so once you both get through your respective intro sections (e.g. Archet for the human), you can join up wherever.

Simon Moon on
    edited July 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Hey guys, Larrel here. Just wanted to update and say that the trip I was leaving for a week or two ago was to check on a sick family member; the family member in question is doing worse than expected so I've been staying to help out with some things here -- this is why I've not been on in awhile. I'll be back when able, but until then my LM is gonna stay MIA for awhile.

That's not a problem, man. You take care of yours, and your spot will be there waiting for you no matter how long you take to get back.

Triple B on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My house is on 6 Chestnut in Goodstoke, Bree. So many empty kin houses there...

Doomulon on
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, I am starting a char on Landroval (since it seems to be where most of you are). Will probably name him Vulnox.

In WoW, I really liked playing my Paladin. I liked doing DPS, but being able to heal when needed. I kind of want something like that in here. I see there is Minstrel and Rune-Keeper. But some skimming on Google shows people talking about Champion as well?

Thanks for any advice you long-time guys can give me, I don't want to regret it 20 levels later.

VulnoX on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, I am starting a char on Landroval (since it seems to be where most of you are). Will probably name him Vulnox.

In WoW, I really liked playing my Paladin. I liked doing DPS, but being able to heal when needed. I kind of want something like that in here. I see there is Minstrel and Rune-Keeper. But some skimming on Google shows people talking about Champion as well?

Thanks for any advice you long-time guys can give me, I don't want to regret it 20 levels later.

Rune-Keeper is more of a priest/mage hybrid that works on a 'combo point' meter. Do you want to be a melee class?

Otherwise I think a captain may be closer to a paladin, but they can't heal (as far as I know)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited July 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

Rune-Keeper is more of a priest/mage hybrid that works on a 'combo point' meter. Do you want to be a melee class?

Otherwise I think a captain may be closer to a paladin, but they can't heal (as far as I know)

I don't mind being Melee, but I don't need it. Healing with the option to do damage, thats what I want. So maybe Rune-Keeper. Thank you!

VulnoX on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

I don't mind being Melee, but I don't need it. Healing with the option to do damage, thats what I want. So maybe Rune-Keeper. Thank you!

Minstrel, straight up. I didn't even need to group until lvl 20 and that was just because it was an Instance.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ImkishImkish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Captains can heal, but you won't typically be a main healer. When you get invited to a group, it's going to be because of your buffs, not because of your healing or your own DPS, although you can be respectable in both fields.

Minstrels can do some impressive damage, but similar to above, in a group, you're probably going to be expected to be healing traited. RKs, however, can typically go either way, although most high level groups tend to ask for minstrels for healing, and expect the RK to dish out their mad damage.

If you're considering PvP at all, RK and hunter seem to be the only class you see that can really do much before they near max level.

Imkish on
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In WoW, I really liked playing my Paladin. I liked doing DPS, but being able to heal when needed.

As usual, Warden needs a mention. Good tanks, decent DPS and plenty of self-heals. You won't be able to heal anyone else until level 58 when you get weak group heal, but you will have a lot of HOT's to heal yourself.

JohanFlick on
    edited July 2009
    Thanks all, I think I am going to try Minstrel. Is human best there?

Edit: Looks like Human is a decent way to go.

VulnoX on
    edited July 2009
    I'd just like to apologize to anyone who happened to be in the North Downs this evening. I accidentally started a giant argument in /advice and /ooc. Someone asked if there were a "public dungeon or instance for level 30ish", and I suggested GA. This caused someone to jump in and admonish me for giving "bad advice" since there was no way a party of low 30s could clear GA. Others joined in, saying they had done so themselves, some of them even brandishing loot from the instance as evidence. Which of course led to "you must've had 60s with you." "Vids or it didn't happen." And other similar nonsense. For half an hour.

The best part: The instigator who started the whole thing by calling me out for giving bad advice, and calling everyone who claimed they had done it liars, is in my kin.

(Thankfully he's only a recruit.)

Simon Moon on
    edited July 2009
    So close to snaring my brother in this. He's trying to buy it, but it's not accepting his billing information. Curseses!

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.