As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Cell Phone Thread

• VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Flashed a Hero rom onto my Magic and I must say that it is pretty cool. Multi-touch, flash in the browser etc works fine and the facebook/twitter/flickr integration is standard in the phone. I think I might flash back, though and wait for the update, because it does feel a tad slower than the stock Magic rom. Completely usable, though.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AT&T/iPhone question...

So I'm on a family plan with 3 lines. Two of the three lines (including mine), are still less than halfway through their two year contract and not eligible for a subsidized iPhone 3G S. One of them is though. If I were to purchase the discounted phone for that line, would the iPhone data plan be tied to that lines SIM card or would I be able to swap it with my own?

Basically I want to buy the discounted iPhone and keep my phone number, but I'm guessing that's not gonna happen.

Am I correct in this line of thinking or is there any kind of loophole that would make this work?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If AT&T is anything like Verizon, so long as 1 line is eligible, you can purchase a subsidized phone under that line but activate the line on a different number.

So essentially, you would be renewing that number's contract, but putting the new phone on your line. My father-in-law has done this with their family plan of 4 on Verizon, but that's Verizon. I would imagine, though, that AT&T would allow something similar.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    If AT&T is anything like Verizon, so long as 1 line is eligible, you can purchase a subsidized phone under that line but activate the line on a different number.

So essentially, you would be renewing that number's contract, but putting the new phone on your line. My father-in-law has done this with their family plan of 4 on Verizon, but that's Verizon. I would imagine, though, that AT&T would allow something similar.

Just got off the phone with AT&T customer service. They have pretty much the same policy as Verizon, and they told me the stores are pretty used to dealing with this kind of situation so it wouldn't be a problem.

Now I just gotta decide if I want to wait for some AT&T-capable Android phones or just join the iPhone horde.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You'll be waiting a while for any AT&T Android phones. They won't have any until next year at the earliest.

You should get an Android phone anyway. They're pretty neat.

Centipede Damascus on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're cool with Apple's products just get an iPhone 3GS. But you're gonna be super pissed next July when they release the iPhone 3GT.

I don't know how AT&T handles it but oh.. about one and a half years ago Verizon added a processing option into their system that is just for alternate upgrades and doesn't even touch the line that's getting the contract extention, aside from the contract. Used to be a bit of a hassle.

JAEF on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone used a Nokia 5800?

I have never owned a smartphone, but it's reached the point where I'm happy the technology is good enough I'm not going to be disappointed in it, and I can now get a contract with data that is only approximately twice what I'm paying per month right now, instead of four to five times as much. The phone that looks like the best option is the Nokia 5800.

Specifically, I'm interested in Nokia's mapping application (Ovi maps) and Nokia Sportstracker, as well as general purpose internet use. I also like the idea that I can put videos on it and use it as a portable video player.

Any opinions?

japan on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I got an Zagg cover for my pre. Aside from totally ruining the front part it seems pretty nice. Got enough grip to easily slide it open. If you get one you should watch the videos on the site. Watching someone put on the cover is a lot better then trying to follow the instructions that came with it.

Shabooty on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like to be unoriginal so I'm using the 'ol iPhone.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What the hell is up with Zagg's site. I haven't been able to load it for at least a month.

Sarksus on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence proves it: The only person I've ever seen with a kindle in my life was a woman. Bam.

ArcSyn if you talk to people who use their cell phone cameras, many of them want that option not necessarily to be able to send the pictures they take to other people, but to have the memories for themselves. Getting the pictures off of the phone or two other people is an afterthought. They want those memories in that thing they carry around with them all the time.

See I agree with your second point, but only up to a point. They also really like being able to punch their camera phone photos straight through to Facebook.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited July 2009
    The people I talk to wouldn't know why I was asking them to put their face in a book, but I see your point

JAEF on
  • happy cabbagehappy cabbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got my new Iphone today. What are some applications for it that are a "must" have?

happy cabbage on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got my new Iphone today. What are some applications for it that are a "must" have?

Zen Bound is the most surreal and fantastic game. Truly. Go out, buy it, and thank me later.

Lucky Cynic on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    If you're cool with Apple's products just get an iPhone 3GS. But you're gonna be super pissed next July when they release the iPhone 3GT.

I don't know how AT&T handles it but oh.. about one and a half years ago Verizon added a processing option into their system that is just for alternate upgrades and doesn't even touch the line that's getting the contract extention, aside from the contract. Used to be a bit of a hassle.

EROES/SHOP is the worst activation system I have ever even seen. Most of the problems come from the fact that I'm accessing it at Best Buy Mobile on a low resolution screen, tunneling through our busy servers in order to get to any data. "Thankfully", we're switching to a new company-developed system for all of our carriers D:D:D:D:D:D:D:.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I need to replace my phone this week, has anyone had any experience with the Instinct? Sprint has it for 50$ right now.

jhunter46 on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright guys ive searched this thread through and ill be damned if i can find it but im sure it was talked about. The big draw I saw on the new iphone was the ability to shoot video and the streaming upgrade. However I know there is an app for the 3G that doesn't require you to upgrade to the latest one. Apparently the hardware is already there it just needs the software app to be able to take video with it.

sooo...does anyone know what it is. And a solid camera pack that has the anti shaking and zoom and all that. Why these weren't just part of the built in apps ill never know and kinda pisses me off but what can you do.

As for someone asking for some good apps.
    I use IM+ for my messaging, it has every messenger system you have plus facebook chat all in one and has offline messaging and pushing and all that

Flixter is probably the best free Movie app ive found for upcoming, current, and theaters, all based on your location

if you are into sports, ScoreMobile is good for all the sports of the day

At Bat 2009 is awesome for baseball, you can stream the games live in both audio and video plus the pitch by pitch thing present on the mlb site, that one does cost 10 bucks tho

Al_wat on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only app I know of that lets you take video with a 3G is a jailbreak app, which doesn't work as well as the 3GS's video capabilities, obviously.

There might be an app or two that does rapid shots for a time-lapse type thing, though.

Alpine on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just pre-ordered the t-mobile myTouch (you have to be an existing customer). Funny thing is, this will be my first smartphone. I consider myself a pretty technical guy (I'm a software developer, I build my own PCs, etc.), but my I've just never had the urge to upgrade my phone until now. Oh little Samsung t309, how I'll miss you.

(go ahead, google it, it'll blow your mind)

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • lunarislunaris Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What color did you preorder? I'm leaning towards the white.

lunaris on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    lunaris wrote: »
    What color did you preorder? I'm leaning towards the white.
    I went for black, I don't think I could pull off the white.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Whi-please-scuff-me-up-te

JAEF on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Finally got a try of the N97 in store. Flipped the screen up to show the keypad and the hinge feels like it was going to snap off. Handed it back to the clerk who flipped the screen back and snapped it off the unit D: So word of warning N97 feels a little flimsy.

Ziggymon on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cyphr wrote: »
    Oh little Samsung t309, how I'll miss you.

(go ahead, google it, it'll blow your mind)

ha, I had an even older Samsung, one without a camera or speakerphone, that I intended to keep as long as possible because it was capable of withstanding a washing machine (several times, in fact) but it broke into two pieces a couple weeks ago, so I guess I'm getting a modern phone now.

Daedalus on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moto V195s

thats what ive got

it is... basic

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited July 2009
    So, it looks like the T-mobile HTC Magic (Mytouch 3G) will be crippled with less RAM than the Euro version.

Why do all the cell carriers in the US suck so bad (each in their own unique and different way, of course)?

Daedalus on
    edited July 2009
    One of the V-carriers are crippled as well. Vodafone or Verizon or something.

Is the RAM equivalent to the G1 or is it more?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    I never understood the crippling. Isn't it cheaper and better for the manufacturers to just have 1 setup to manufacture? Why make 2, 3, or 4 different versions of the same thing when they could just make 1 (or 2 I guess with different cell tech) and just brand the plastic casing differently? So stupid.

Carriers need to get off their high horse and let hardware manufacturers give us the goods.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2009
    I have no idea what that is about. I would love somebody to enlighten me. Luckily, here there aren't really any monopolies on certain phones, so if some company tried to pull something like that, they would just lose business hard since there are plenty of other companies that carry the exact same phones with near identical plans.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    There are plenty of companies, but they all do the same thing in different ways, so it's tough to really have competition.

AT&T and Verizon are the two biggest. AT&T has better device selection since they use the current standard tech so worldwide phones are easily adapted, but they don't have the best network in most areas (that I know of) and they don't have any plans to offer "open" phones like Android, etc. Verizon has probably the best network (again, imo) coverage, but they use a different tech than the world, so they have worse phone selection. They also gimp phones with custom UIs and block GPS and other stuff on certain phones because they offer a pay service for it. Recently, the GPS thing has changed though. They still have gimped hardware on a few phones, like the TouchPro (iirc) compared to Sprint's version.

Sprint uses the same tech as Verizon, but has better phone selection despite worse coverage.
    T-Mobile uses the same as AT&T, but is probably the best carrier for phone selection (they seem pretty open to just about anything), but doesn't have the best coverage. They also seem to have the best prices.

So they all are different and it's hard to really "compete" as a result so they can do whatever they want. The US also uses contracts to reduce phone costs, so people generally stick with whatever carrier they have so they just pick up the new phone and don't research what the other carriers are doing so they wouldn't know if it was gimped or not.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So, it looks like the T-mobile HTC Magic (Mytouch 3G) will be crippled with less RAM than the Euro version.

Why do all the cell carriers in the US suck so bad (each in their own unique and different way, of course)?

This makes me sad inside.

I'm seriously considering switching to T-mobile for the magic.

Joe Chemo on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the T-mo version of the Magic will have the same RAM as the G1, so it's pretty much the same thing except with no keyboard and a higher pricetag.

Fuck it, I'll just get an iphone and deal with AT&T's own brand of retardedness (MMS messaging, anyone?)

Daedalus on
    edited July 2009
    Buried in some Engadget news story was the tidbit that T-Mobile says the Hero isn't coming stateside to them. Which is probably the worst news ever. I want an Android phone with a 3.5mm jack /pout

JAEF on
    edited July 2009
    It's coming stateside to somebody, though; probably Sprint. FCC licenses have already been filed.

Daedalus on
    edited July 2009
    I really want a 3.5mm jack too, but I pay less than a dollar for an adapter, so it's not really that big of a deal.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Sprint uses the same tech as Verizon, but has better phone selection despite worse coverage.

Keep in mind that this depends on where you live. In Florida Sprint's 3G coverage appears to be better than Verizon's (more 3G coverage and less dead spots) unless you live in the panhandle, and they don't do retarded things with their phones.

RE: T-mobile's prices, that depends. The last time I checked if you have a smartphone that's not a G1 they want you on a $35 data plan, their cheapest plan is $30 for 300 minutes ($40 is an obviously 600 is a better choice), another $10 if you want myFaves, and the plan needs to be 49.99 or higher if you want unlimited mobile-to-mobile (their site is ambiguous as to whether a data plan counts towards that, but it's mentioned on the sufficiently expensive voice plans). GPS is another $10. So with a reasonable voice and data plan with GPS you're looking at something like $95/month before the bullshit fees that carriers like to tack on. Promotions can obviously change that.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited July 2009
    Guys just move to Canada where you can get a good rate plan on an iPhone without any of the MMS/tethering restrictions AT&T has.

Pheezer on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After using the pre for awhile my biggest problems with are the loose feeling slider and the headphone jack. Neither of these problems make me want to return it, though.

Shabooty on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Guys just move to Canada where you can get a good rate plan on an iPhone without any of the MMS/tethering restrictions AT&T has.

I must admit I love tethering on my iphone. It's such a great way to be connected to the net (as I'm away every weekend --like right now.) The good internet abilities were certainly the best feature of the phone before tethering, but tethering just makes it that much better.

Also surprisingly how far 6 gigs of data actually goes, though when SC2 hits I might upgrade to one of rogers 150gb plans if they have them in my area by that time.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited July 2009
    I don't game online and don't download much, and the 3g is both faster and more reliable for web browsing than my cable Internet was. So I cancelled it and now use my phone instead. Go me!

I pay $77 a month, get my5 and like 200 daytime minutes with 6pm evenings and weekends free, unlimited SMS, mms, and 6gb of transfer. Before I was paying $40 a month for my dumbphone and $46 a month for Internet. I actually saved money by getting an iPhone.

Pheezer on