As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wait Is Over

Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Social Entropy++
In the 19th century, British imperialism had unintended effects on the motherland. Indian culture began bleeding back to the English youth, and soon the mystic Orient had become quite a trendy accessory; opium use took hold, extravagant dress styles became common, and soon, there was a growing concern over the corruption of British culture by their foreign conquest.

This in no way, shape or form describes what the fuck is going on here.

090629111815_bothtube466.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/video_and_audio/8132818.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8132726.stm
An underground youth culture in Japan which makes a rebellious fashion statement against traditional rules on eastern beauty, is taking hold on Britain's youth.
Manba involves devotees wearing dark tans, white make-up around their eyes and hair that is often a combination of neon colours.
British teenagers like 18-year-olds Eilish and Declan got caught up in manba after an interest in Japanese culture led them to start researching on the internet, where they came across the style.
Manba in Japan is also known as ganguro, gonguro, yamamba and mamba.
Yama-uba in Japanese is the name of a mountain hag in Japanese folklore whom the fashion is thought to resemble.
It has been around for nearly a decade and is an eye-catching statement against conformity.
When the practitioners began darkening their skin, widening their eyes and wearing blue contact lenses, they were making a rebellious statement against the traditions of fair-skinned beauty.
The rebellion has now, perhaps somewhat ironically, been taken up by Britain's naturally fair-skinned youth.
I went to spend some time with Eilish and Declan to find out why the fashion appeals them to.
Glitter
When I met them early one morning, they had already started applying their make-up as they planned to meet other British members of their Japanese circle later that afternoon in London's China Town.

They start their routine by applying self tan to their bodies.
Eilish rubs the self tan on her neck but her face is darkened much more heavily.
She smears the coffee-bean powder on her pale skin and tries to rub it in so that it does not look "patchy".
Declan explains that he buys his foundation from Afro-Caribbean shops as normal shops do not sell powders that are dark enough.
They then use black eyeliner pencils and a white marker pens to create big eyes which look like they droop, framed by false eyelashes.
The look is finished off with glitter and white lipstick.
They tell me they learnt to apply the make-up through watching make-up tutorials on YouTube.
Declan and Eilish say they have been accused of racism for darkening their skin in this way, but they say this could not be further from the truth.
Eilish insists that she is "not mocking anybody" and Declan asks, "what black person looks like this?"
Another member of the group says that she does not like her white skin and covers up if she is unable to get a spray tan.
"I just think it looks good - nowadays it's more popular to be tanned," Declan adds.
The British followers of this Japanese subculture are also into the music, which is called Eurobeat, and practise dance moves called Para-Para.
"It's kind of like line dancing," says Eilish.
"But it's a group dance where everyone does the same thing and it just uses your hands."
Group following
Eilish's mobile phone rings every time she receives a message on Facebook.
Her social networks are important as she has friends in Japan and the US who are also into the style.

"There's a Japanese Facebook [type of site] called Mixi and there are a lot of manba on there and when they find out that you're manba in the UK, they're like, 'what?!'"
"They all speak in Japanese so I have to use a translator to talk to them. There are also some in America. I'm quite good friends with some of the girls who do it in America."
Eilish's father Peter thinks that his daughter might look a bit strange, but she is, he says, "learning about another culture"
Her mother insists that the style is about much more than just "dressing up".
She tells me she thinks that this is more about creative expression and that she admires her daughter for her interest.
As we all walk out the house and down the street, people look.
Brightly coloured hair, clothes and unusual make-up sets them apart from the crowds who are travelling into London on the underground.
Eilish says that people often don't want to sit next to them.
In China Town, Eilish and Declan meet some of their follow manba followers.
Gabby, 22, with her bright pink hair and sunglasses, says she loves the style.
"I think it's adorable, it looks really cute, it takes a lot of skill," she says.
"Some people have the attitude that Western girls can't do it as well, but we're doing our own thing."
Toni, 21, says she really likes to have make-up that creates really wide eyes.
She acknowledges though that it might "sound really silly" because what they are doing is trying to be like the girls in Japan who are trying to look like Western girls.
"We're Western girls trying to be Japanese girls, trying to be Western - it seems like a funny circle to go around."

Let me pick out a few golden quotes for you.
Declan wrote:
I just think it looks good - nowadays it's more popular to be tanned.
We're Western girls trying to be Japanese girls, trying to be Western - it seems like a funny circle to go around.

So what's next: Japanese kids pretending to be European kids pretending to be Japanese kids pretending to be white?

Or American kids?

credit to Pharezon for ruining my faith in everything forever

Charles Kinbote on

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh hell naw

Centipede Damascus on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh goddammit.

SirToasty on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't really feel that great over ruining your faith like this. It's just so wrong.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Look on the bright side

Maybe there's some credence to that theory about the world ending in 2012.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When I met them early one morning, they had already started applying their make-up as they planned to meet other British members of their Japanese circle later that afternoon in London's China Town.

ChicoBlue on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    black people in blackface.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GIRUGAMESH

Weaver on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

hahahahaa

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Britain's youth seems so tremendously fucked up even in comparison to American youth

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Britain's youth seems so tremendously fucked up even in comparison to American youth

chavs

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just saw this on the BBC frontpage and honest to god I thought it was some kind of joke for the longest time

I am still trying to cling to that vague hope

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They're just more cultured over there than we are.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the face on the left up there

male

Charles Kinbote on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    zde12xtx2mj66soq7bull78eo1_500.jpg

Taco's girlfriend irl

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got a boner for these tan girls

Robcham on
    edited July 2009
    They're just more cultured over there than we are.

Americans and Wal-Mart, am I right

Centipede Damascus on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So British kids are acting like those ganguro bitches in Japan?

I honestly don't know what to say about that.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What the fuck is this bullshit?

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Dinosaur DetectiveDinosaur Detective Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is going to catch on in California and get confusing as hell

Dinosaur Detective on
    edited July 2009
    Been around Japan since the 90's. I'm sure there are same dumb asses dressing up like that in America.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yama-uba in Japanese is the name of a mountain hag in Japanese folklore whom the fashion is thought to resemble.

So I did a google image search:
    yamauba.gif
    I'm all for anti-beauty fashion statements where you make yourself ugly on purpose.

Octopus Melody on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    UnbreakableVow on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why is that ten minutes long?

WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited July 2009
    That bitch woke up and teased the fuck out of her shitty hair. Then she put on some fucking eyeliner. She didn't bathe and continued wearing her goddamn pajamas.

Not only that but she watches dubbed anime. How are you a hardcore weeaboo while watching the shit in English?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    20090704-469.png

Robcham on
    edited July 2009
    She can't even use chopsticks right and she lives in a fucking trailer.

Sell this bitch to some Irish gypsies and let them use her as a punching bag.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited July 2009
    I thought that was a dude.

Tonkka on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hah that comic is great

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Whatever happened to knife crime? Did that become uncool or something?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't post in here very often, but I felt it necessary in light of this sin against humanity.

On one hand, they're removing themselves from the gene pool, since no normal person would ever want to sleep with a thing that looks like that. This statement fails on two fronts: inbreeding among their crowd, and whores. Also they're like 16. Fuck.

I hate you all. Goodnight.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Haha that sure is a thing

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited July 2009
    I don't post in here very often, but I felt it necessary in light of this sin against humanity.

On one hand, they're removing themselves from the gene pool, since no normal person would ever want to sleep with a thing that looks like that. This statement fails on two fronts: inbreeding, and whores.

I hate you all. Goodnight.

Most guys will stick their dicks into pretty much anything if it gets them off.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited July 2009
    iiiiis that definitely a girl?

I'm not even being mean here, I am honestly not sure that is a girl

Charles Kinbote on
    edited July 2009

On one hand, they're removing themselves from the gene pool, since no normal person would ever want to sleep with a thing that looks like that.

guido-gay-christmas.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2009
    iiiiis that definitely a girl?

I'm not even being mean here, I am honestly not sure that is a girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax9bgUIirSA&feature=related

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate you all.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited July 2009
    Let's not forget about Boxxy's crazy ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yavx9yxTrsw&feature=related

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited July 2009
    wait wait are we sure that's real

because chopsticks take all of five minutes to figure out so I think this may be a joke

Charles Kinbote on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Britain is just jealous that they don't have Guedoes or white trash, so they take whatever is left.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Let's not forget about Boxxy's crazy ass.

crazy hot

:winky:

Centipede Damascus on