As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An Ethernet Cable is Unplugged (but it's not!)

ChanceChance Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, I've got a little technical problem.

My PC refuses to load any web pages. (Running XP) Down in the lower-right, where my antivirus is, there is no alert upon boot-up to show me that I'm not connected to the internet.

But when I run Firefox, I get the same error message I would get if I weren't connected at all. So I run IE to see if it's just Firefox's problem - same problem.

At this point, I fiddle with my cables - and NOW in the lower-right it tells me an ethernet cable is unlpugged. Inside my computer, the little green light that comes on when I plug the cable into the modem is on.

So I go over to my modem and router and reset both of them - unplugging the power for 15 secs apiece. No change.

So I restart the computer, and try it all again. Exact same crap.

My PS3 can go online, and another PC in the house too - my own PC seems to be the only one affected.

I'm not much of a technical mind - unplugging modems is usually about as far as my expertise goes. Help meeeee!

(thanks very much for any help)

Edit in lieu of bump:

None of the more idiot-friendly (see: me-friendly) solutions worked out, and attempting to fiddle with the drivers only led to the discovery that I don't have any drivers. So I'm gonna' try reinstalling windows and see what happens.

Again, thanks very much for your help - I really appreciate it.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
Chance on

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If the link light on the PC comes on (which it sounds like it is), try reinstalling the driver.

Right click on the error and open network connections, right click on local area connection and go to properties. Click configure - drivers - uninstall. Then go to Control Panel - Add Hardware and run through the wizard, or restart the PC and it should reinstall it.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It could also be the cable itself. Troubleshooting 101: Go through and replace every component that may be the cause of the issue, and see if that fixes the problem.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had the exact same problem, and after I tried a few things I ended up switching physical ports on the router, and that fixed it like a charm. Haven't tried plugging it back into the original port to see what the actual problem was, but it should be worth a shot for you.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    At this point, I fiddle with my cables - and NOW in the lower-right it tells me an ethernet cable is unlpugged. Inside my computer, the little green light that comes on when I plug the cable into the modem is on.
    are you fiddling with the cable at the router end or the plug into your nic?

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can you switch cables? The cable may be bad.

evilmrhenry on