As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Webcomics: Post Beartato every day

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fortunately the subway where I was had English as well as Japanese. The buses, on the other hand, did not. Nor did any of the signs for businesses or streets. Where were you in Japan, YaYa? And hey, totally unrelated, but when is that audition you were worried about?

I was in Kyoto and Tokyo for a few weeks in...2001? 2002? a while ago

and it's next Wednesday, I've been practicing pretty much non-stop

decided to do Purpose

Every Little Step's inspired me to work even harder, so I've got a pretty decent feeling about it!

YaYa on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys clone high is so good

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Guys clone high is so good

moderation.png

DJ Eebs on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Clone High is why I have a photo of Abe Lincoln that says "Try the Churros" on my bedroom wall! It really is so good.

YaYa, that's pretty excellent to hear. Glad you're feeling good about it! Wednesday like, in three days, or like a week and three days from now?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited July 2009
    So sad it got canned.

also

"An ad in Maxim Magazine depicting Mahatma Gandhi in a negative manner initially sparked controversy, which led to a greater awareness of the show in India. The show's portrayal of Gandhi sparked an outrage in India. On January 30, 2003, the 55th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi's assassination, approximately 150 protesters (including members of parliament) gathered in New Delhi and vowed to fast in response to Clone High."

Tasteticle on

edited July 2009
    Clone High is why I have a photo of Abe Lincoln that says "Try the Churros" on my bedroom wall! It really is so good.

YaYa, that's pretty excellent to hear. Glad you're feeling good about it! Wednesday like, in three days, or like a week and three days from now?

the less terrifying one

YaYa on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    The only words I remember are kawaii, and Guweunu because I like milk
    Guweunu?

That's the problem with a lot of these language-learning books and classes, when they teach you how stuff sounds and you have to come up with the spelling on your own, or they go "You can learn _____, in plain English!" and write everything out in alphabetical letters so that when you actually do go overseas, you're beaten up by squiggly lines at 3 in the morning.

SabreMau on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ugh, no kidding. Even when you know essentially what the English letter equivalent is, the spelling of some words varies. At least here in Seoul. I live in the Jongno district, but its Hanguk spelling is really closer to Jongro, and sometimes it's spelled Chungno or Chongno on signs. Either way, writing it out in English only helps 50% of the time. I'm just glad that learning to read and write Hanguk was relatively easy.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I forget how to spell it actually

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited July 2009
    I used to be able to read french books ok.

Now I can barley read french menus.

Tasteticle on

edited July 2009
    LS should I learn all the lyrics to La Vie Boheme to pass the time today

YaYa on
    edited July 2009
    I forget how to spell it actually

Gyuunyuu.
    Ugh, no kidding. Even when you know essentially what the English letter equivalent is, the spelling of some words varies. At least here in Seoul. I live in the Jongno district, but its Hanguk spelling is really closer to Jongro, and sometimes it's spelled Chungno or Chongno on signs. Either way, writing it out in English only helps 50% of the time. I'm just glad that learning to read and write Hanguk was relatively easy.
    You mean 한글? 한국 is the name of the country.

SabreMau on
    edited July 2009
    YaYa wrote: »

Yes! I can still do all the lyrics, from when I memorized it back in the day! Haters aside, I always thought it was a clever song. The only downside (which I'm sure you know way better than me) is, y'know, sometimes when you learn it one way and then have to do it on stage, it's hard to avoid unconscious mimickry.

Sabre, yes! Oops! You know what I was thinking, I was just dropping the ending from 한국어 instead of remembering the word for the written letters.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I shall remember its spelling now for 2 days and then forget again

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited July 2009
    YaYa wrote: »

Yes! I can still do all the lyrics, from when I memorized it back in the day! Haters aside, I always thought it was a clever song. The only downside (which I'm sure you know way better than me) is, y'know, sometimes when you learn it one way and then have to do it on stage, it's hard to avoid unconscious mimickry.

Sabre, yes! Oops! You know what I was thinking, I was just dropping the ending from 한국어 instead of remembering the word for the written letters.

oh God I know the feeling

I have to really look at my performance of Purpose because I do it timing-and-intonation-perfect from the album, but it's too obvious that I'm ripping off the album

I have no idea what to change!

YaYa on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    The only words I remember are kawaii, and Guweunu because I like milk
    Guweunu?

That's the problem with a lot of these language-learning books and classes, when they teach you how stuff sounds and you have to come up with the spelling on your own, or they go "You can learn _____, in plain English!" and write everything out in alphabetical letters so that when you actually do go overseas, you're beaten up by squiggly lines at 3 in the morning.

I have an Azeri phraseook that's all anglicized.

Azeri's written in a Latin script.

The anglicized Azeri is actually harder for me, as an English speaker, to figure out than it is properly spelled, and it completely eliminates the whole "point at the book" game if you completely maul the pronunciation. Also, one of the students pointed out that the word they had and I'd been using for "thank you" is actually a formal form of "hello".

Luckily, pretty much everyone spoke English. The hotel staff knew hotel-type phrases, and I spent most of my time doing conversational ESL. The guy in charge of our group spoke Russian, and everyone spoke a little of either English or Russian so we never wanted for a translator.

I learned a few phrases, but I've forgotten all but "Maiden's Tower" (a major landmark), "still water", and "Are you ready?" (from a YouTube tutorial, I never actually got to use it). Hello was, of course, "salam". Islam makes travel so easy.

laughingfuzzball on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I forgot french

The Black Hunter on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    coolryuanddomovoi.png

drawanything0571.gif

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It should be romanized "Gyunyuu".

DarkPrimus on
    edited July 2009
    Why not Gyuunyu? Or Gyunyu? Or Gyûnyû?

SabreMau on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Meek is getting really interesting, you guys

naked girl just murdered a dude by magically controlling some tree roots or something

Centipede Damascus on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually maybe the first way you put it would be correct, Mau. Fuck it's been a while since I seen the kana for milk and it's one of those words...

DarkPrimus on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    Veretas wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    so dont ever get one of those 3D ultrasounds unless you ever wondered what your baby looked like if he/she were giygas

32-capture_16042008_002256.png?

giygas.jpg

You leave me no choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mupjNtTNE0

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I once spent thirty minutes trolling youtube for the original video all of these remixes are made from. No luck :(

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I once spent thirty minutes trolling youtube for the original video all of these remixes are made from. No luck :(

easy peasy lemon squeezy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZHTIgBoFL0

Raneados on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    he should

My webcomic would be terrible.

Look, that Mike Ryu one doesn't even make any sense anymore!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited July 2009
    Wait, the Japanese call him Donald McDonald?

SabreMau on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Ronald" is apparently really hard to say in Japanese.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2009
    Lonard

YaYa on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's L that they don't have, not R.

L|ama on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    It's L that they don't have, not R.

Which is prounounced like L, not R, so they basically only have R in theory.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    even though R is pronounced like L and R combined

man I wonder what happens if they see a right and left marked item

like shoes
    one L and one R

do they scream and explode

Raneados on
    edited July 2009
    No, they just pull out a marker and write 左 and 右 on it.

SabreMau on
    edited July 2009
    they write NOPOOGYOOOYPOOPOOOOONG and CHUUURRMUUURSHUUURRRR on them?

dang

Raneados on
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    McDonald's thought that Ronald would be hard for Japanese children to say so they changed it. But Ronald wouldn't be any harder than Donald to say.

Iloveslimes on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damnit, people.

Japanese has neither "r" nor "l". It has a post-alveolar flap (or maybe tap, I forget), which can be used to approximate either an "l" or an "r" in English.

laughingfuzzball on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    your FACE has a post-alveolar flap

Fletcher on
This discussion has been closed.