As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me about this is, whenever you have a fully customizable party like this, the characters can't really have any personal stake in the plot.

Final Fantasy V and Tactics would like a word with you.

I never played either of those games, so I guess I wouldn't know.

Still, didn't FFV have, you know, real characters? You could choose their job or whatever, but they were still the same person. I played Tactics Advance 1 and 2, and the only characters with any plot were the ones that were either NPCs or were forced into my party. Blue Mage never had his town burned to the ground, thereby making the quest personal. Summoner never found her beau slain by the evil forces of the Bad Guys, and Fighter never rescued his old buddy from Fighter School who had gotten in with the wrong gang back at Fighterhometown.

I won't say it's not possible, but I've never seen it happen.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They could do both? Generate your teammates however you like, and the plot later reveals that [CHARACTER 3] has a doomed hometown, while [CHARACTER TWO] falls in love with an Elf.

Then again, I fabricated elaborate backstories for each and every one of my FFTA characters, making sure that their movesets and tactics matched with their personalities.

My moogle gunner was a hardened badass, frequently betrayed by his soft fur and squeaky voice.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, dear.
    On all the other jobs, the female outfit is pretty equivalent to the male, but on the first?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Man, this looks really good and all but I hate the character design (love the monster design though). Seriously, all the humans look fucking retarded.

Every time I look at this art style I cringe. I think I've never gotten over the horror of dragon ball Z. Speaking of which- How many episodes of dragon ball Z does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    1 to get it and 20 to show it

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought it was only the hero you actually designed? (being as you can choose from a male or a female) While the rest of the team are actual characters?

Plus, looking at all the animated ads for the game on TV, am I wrong in thinking that turban girl is strangely hot?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryIi1WZUkw

Matthew on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Matthew wrote: »
    I thought it was only the hero you actually designed? (being as you can choose from a male or a female) While the rest of the team are actual characters?
    Nope. It's just like DQ3
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Oh, dear.
    On all the other jobs, the female outfit is pretty equivalent to the male, but on the first?
    Yeah. That one loaded well before the others for me, and I was getting my eye-roll ready. But then the rest of them were entirely fine and then I just got confused.

Edit: then again, thinking about it, the "Female Warrior" job has always been like that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, dear.

This is fantasy RPG, and a traditional one to boot. I expect and somewhat welcome it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    At first I was really dissapointed that it wasn't going to be a primarily multiplayer action RPG, but looking at what they have in store instead is pretty exciting, and knowing that the change was primarily because it tested poorly gives me hope that they are working to make a truly exciting RPG.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    At first I was really dissapointed that it wasn't going to be a primarily multiplayer action RPG, but looking at what they have in store instead is pretty exciting, and knowing that the change was primarily because it tested poorly gives me hope that they are working to make a truly exciting RPG.

Apparently each turn on the battlefield has a set time limit, and if you interact with your buddy before that time limit is up you can join the battle on that turn. A surprisingly simple yet effective method of handling it.

Yes, you can sit in town buying shit while your friend gets eaten. Yes I cannot wait for this.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is the reason I wish had more gaming friends. Well, besides those that play WoW and CoD exclusively.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I can't get my legit gaming friends to play this with me, I will buy myself a DSi and make my girlfriend play this with me on my DSlite. I'd say I'd ask my sister to play, but we're playing Dokapon right now, and I think it's going to be a few more years till she's really RPG ready (she's 9).

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, this looks really good and all but I hate the character design (love the monster design though). Seriously, all the humans look fucking retarded.

Every time I look at this art style I cringe. I think I've never gotten over the horror of dragon ball Z. Speaking of which- How many episodes of dragon ball Z does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

I don't get all the hate for Toriyama, he's a good artist.

Are people just hating on him because they (understandably) hate dbz/gt?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seeing that trailer earlier makes me sad that with it being on the DS there’ll be no fully orchestral soundtrack :( also no standing on the nearest hill and seeing great expanses of land ahead of you and wanting to explore it

On the other hand it’s good to get a new epic RPG on the DS given that most of the RPGs for it are remakes

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    On the other hand it’s good to get a new epic RPG on the DS given that most of the RPGs for it are remakes

If you can't find a good unique rpg for the DS, you're not looking very hard.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not saying there's none I'm just saying there's not many

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually there are vast numbers.
    They far outnumber the remakes.

Look again.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

He's pretty much been drawing the same 3-4 characters over and over.

jothki on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Yeah. His monster designs are cool, but lots of his human characters look incredibly similar to each other.

Goku? Yamcha? Someone else?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

That hate for DBZ/gt will never go away.

NEVER

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Your point being? He is a character artist and that is what they do. Name a character artist, there are not that many that have been in the game as long as Toriyama, that has a vast and varied number of characters and monsters etc...

I cant think of anyone off the top of my head. Sakaguchi, Shinkawa... same stuff for years as well.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've got to say, I'm pretty disappointed that they decided to skip the 'action rpg' idea.
    It could be just me, but the Dragon Quest formula has gotten sooo old and tired. Granted I did play Dragon Warrior 7 to completion (which took well over 100 hours) so that may have burned me out.
    I do like that Random Encounters are gone though, granted it only took them a quarter century to do so.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If it has the name Dragon Quest on it, I'm gonna buy it.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Only 11 jobs?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Only 11 jobs?

DQ has always been a much more traditional series.

When they actually introduce something new, expect them to take baby steps.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Only 11 jobs?

DQ has always been a much more traditional series.

When they actually introduce something new, expect them to take baby steps.
    ...this isn't exactly the first time there have been job classes in the series you know.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Interchangeable ones?

Forgive me if there were, I was under the impression this was a pretty new thing for them.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Actually all of the games with jobs (3, 6, and 7) had them as changeable ones.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I suppose I just danced around the job-based ones.

I played IV, V and VIII.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DQ III had 8, DQ VI had 18, DQ VII had 20 (and that's not counting the monster classes)...it just seems a shame that there's only 11 now.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, dear.
    No fat chicks!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Only 11 jobs?

I doubt they've revealed all the Jobs, plus, I'm pretty sure that's 12 jobs.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Only 11 jobs?

I doubt they've revealed all the Jobs.

Really? I mean, it's out in what, 5 days?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Generally there are some secrets still kept about stuff like this.

Pata on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've got to say, I'm pretty disappointed that they decided to skip the 'action rpg' idea.
    It could be just me, but the Dragon Quest formula has gotten sooo old and tired. Granted I did play Dragon Warrior 7 to completion (which took well over 100 hours) so that may have burned me out.
    I do like that Random Encounters are gone though, granted it only took them a quarter century to do so.

To me, Dragon Quest is like AC/DC: they're the one exemption in that they're allowed to retread the same old familiar ground over and over again because they do it so freaking well. Other JRPGs have gotten stale as he'll to me, but for some reason when DQ does it it feels natural and comfortable instead of tired and cliched.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Oh, dear.
    No fat chicks!

One of my characters will be a fat warrior chick.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

No, Nomura is the guy that draws 3-4 differen't characters, changes a belt or zipper here and there, and calls it a new character. Toriyama actually has a lot of decently varied characters if you bother to look around. It's just inevitable that when you've designed hundreds upon hundreds of characters, that many of the designs seem to run together. If anything, for the sheer amount of characters he's created, he's got some decent variation.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Both of you are wrong.

Both Nomura and Toriyama are fine artists for the games they do art in now shut up about it.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Both of you are wrong.

Both Nomura and Toriyama are fine artists for the games they do art in now shut up about it.

I'm not saying Nomura's a bad artist. He's an exceptional one in my opinion. But he does borrow from his previous designs to a fault. And he doesn't have the excuse of such a massive library of characters like Toriyama.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Both of you are wrong.

But BELTS and ZIPPERS and DBZ whine cry whine

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I always found the kind of "same face different hair hurf durf" argument to be pretty silly in general considering the same can be applied to just about every artist out there, both Japanese and American. I can totally see why a person wouldn't dig Akira Toriyama's art of course. But if you're saying he's a bad artist because a lot of his characters share similarities then you might as well say the number of good character artists out in the world can be counted on one hand.

Timestones on
This discussion has been closed.