As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me some Wii games

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
So yeah, my girlfriend bought me a Wii. I got Wii Fit bundled with it, and Moto GP (which got traded in for Twilight Princess) and I grabbed House of the Dead 2 + 3 for it for some coop zombie shooting with her. I'm looking for some more decent games, and I know there's a lot of shovelware on the system. My upcoming purchases are going to consist of Deadly Creatures, Madworld, SSB Brawl, Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart. Are there any other good collections like Wii Sports (she's found it really fun)? Any other good platformers? I read somewhere that Klonoa was good.

Anyway, yeah. I really just want to avoid the shovelware.

-Loki- on

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Since you have Wii Fit, you might want to try Shaun White Snowboarding. Excite Truck is still brilliant (the sequel Excite Bots still has no PAL release). If you enjoyed pikmin and harvest moon style games, "Little King's Story" is excellent. Also, if you're going online, World of Goo is pretty much an essential wiiware purchase.

As for sports collections, Wii Sports Resort is 4 weeks away, and has a shitload more content. There's a few good deals for pre-orders of that about.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wario Land: The Shake Dimension is a good 2D platformer.

Peewi on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I didn't see an ethernet port on the back of it. Is there any way to get it to connect to the net aside from wifi? If not, virtual console is out until I solve that problem.

edit - okay, found the Wii LAN adapter. I'll have to get me one.

-Loki- on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get a cheap third party LAN adaptor - they'll work fine. The official ones are way overpriced.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    plufim wrote: »
    Get a cheap third party LAN adaptor - they'll work fine. The official ones are way overpriced.

Yeah, I'd recommend just getting a cheap wireless router. They're nice to have around the house, in case you happen to need to do anything else wirelessly.

jothki on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, it's not my internet connection, or I would get a wireless router (getting rid of the cables behind the PS3 as well would be great). For now I think I'll have to stick with a USB adapter.

-Loki- on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you like rail shooters (ala house of the dead) and you like Resident Evil, I highly recommend "The Umbrella Chronicles"

Undead Scottsman on
  • TI-83+TI-83+ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Are there any other good collections like Wii Sports (she's found it really fun)?

Wii Play! If you don't have a second controller yet you could get wii play + controller. Else I'm sure you can find someone with wii play who's willign to lend/sell it to you.

Excite Truck is pretty fun too if you see it in the bargain bin somewhere.

TI-83+ on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, we made sure to get a second wiimote and nunchuck. BTW, I thought Sony were horrible with their controller pricing, but a wiimote and nunchuck costs as much as a fucking DS3.

-Loki- on
  • TI-83+TI-83+ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nintendo hardware is always expensive. If you got a nice TV you may consider getting a component cable, but geta third party one instead of the official. They both do the exact same job except the nintendo cable is priced at 30 USD instead of ... 3 or 5 USD.

TI-83+ on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Little King's Story is the best third-party game on the system by miles. It's kind of like a Pikmin/Zelda hybrid, with exploring a huge varied world with an army you use to expand your kingdom.

House of the Dead: Overkill is a fine rail shooter if you're into them.

I'd also recommend looking at Zak and Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, Super Paper Mario, Klonoa and Wario Land.

World of Goo is the best of the Wiiware releases, and Lostwinds and Nyxquest are very solid platformers for it- Lostwinds is more puzzle-based and Nyxquest more traditional.

Xagarath on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    De Blob is awesome fun, plus it's pretty and the music is great.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No one has mention Boom Blox?

For shame PA. For Shame.

Since you don't really have specific requirements you might want to check out Slash's general recommendations here. That will certainly keep you clear of the trash.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okami is a fantastic game if you're into Legend of Zelda.

I also suggest the Trauma Centre games if you want a challenge.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ghost Squad! Good throw-away 2 player fun with LOTS of unlockables. If the two of you enjoyed HOTD together you can't go wrong with this.

Moioink on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Klonoa and De Blob are both $30 or less and are fantastic if you're into platformers, as others have already pointed out. On a slightly negative note i would have to recommend against buying MadWorld and getting No More Heros instead, because between its spotty controls, sub par scoring system and 4 hour length i was left feeling pretty burned by the game.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No-one called out Resident Evil 3: Wii Edition yet? I played both the GC and PS2 version but the Wii one is most definitely the best. Completed it many times through.

Big Classy on
  • Green DestinyGreen Destiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Definitely check out Klonoa if you like platformers; it's only $30, too.

Green Destiny on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mario & Sonic At The Olympics seems like a good bet, a new one is coming up too. Wario Ware is really fun (and funny) too.
    There's also Madworld, Disaster Day of Crisis, Punch Out, Mario Strikers and Dewey's Adventure and Eledees for example. If you like sports PES is great as are Grand Slam Tennis (really hard to learn though) and Tiger Woods 10.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Conduit is a great FPS and the multiplayer is tons of fun, although there are a few connection issues.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Disaster, Klonoa and No More Heroes are also on my list. What's the difference visually between the standard cables and component on a HD tv?

-Loki- on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Baroque is fun, if weird. Short, but good replay value, since the dungeons are randomly generated each time.

Geometry Wars Galaxies is awesome.

Castle Shikigami 3 is also good if you like bullet hell.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is basically me confirming myself as a horrible nerd, but the One Piece game on the Wii is actually pretty good if you enjoy the series and Zelda-ish adventure games. You have to not mind grinding though because it's grindy as hell.

Gilder on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Disaster, Klonoa and No More Heroes are also on my list. What's the difference visually between the standard cables and component on a HD tv?

One looks like shit and the other does not. Get yourself some component cables. Again, the Nintendo ones are overpriced. Back when I had all three systems, I found a set of component cables that could be used on any of the three consoles (used it for the 360 and the Wii). They worked perfectly well.

As for games...I have a hard time recommending stuff on the Wii, but the good games that are there are really good. You're already getting SMG and have Twilight Princess, pick up Klonoa, Zack and Wiki, Punch-Out!!, and World of Goo. If you want a neat, stylish game with a cool story (but are able to withstand god-fucking-awful gameplay), pick up No More Heroes. Also, Final Fantasy Fables works well as a "My First Roguelike."

Hold off on Metroid Prime 3 and just wait for the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Spend a lot of cash on VC! They have Super Mario RPG, don't ya know.

UnbreakableVow on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ignore Vow, the NMH gameplay is great.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He probably means the tedious overworld stuff, but the action gameplay is all good.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2009
    No, I mean both the tedious overworld stuff and also the horrible button-mashy action gameplay.

Hope you like hammering A and moving the remote up and down to switch between high and low! Because that's all you have to do to beat the game.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2009

Not a lot. Component does look better obviously but it's not going to make a Wii look objectively good on a HDTV by any means. In some situations like the Wii menu it actually looks worse in 480p. You will get some benefits such as no dot crawl and not as much bleed in motion from component 480p so it is a bit easier on the eyes but it's at the expense of clarity; the image is filtered as hell and the detail suffers for it. This is partly down to mediocre AV out on a hardware level but also because of a flicker filter that a lot of games use as a cheap way to get anti-aliasing.

I think in a double blind test it would be divided half and half as to whether component or composite is better on the Wii. That's as much down to the Wii's very good composite out (probably the best I've seen) as it is the Wii's poor component picture.

Moioink on
    edited July 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    No-one called out Resident Evil 3: Wii Edition yet? I played both the GC and PS2 version but the Wii one is most definitely the best. Completed it many times through.
    You mean RE4? :D

Undead Scottsman on
    edited July 2009
    He could mean RE3. Is RE3 Wii out yet?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2009
    RE4 is great thanks to the Wii pointer controls but that's one game that suffers quite badly from the flicker filter employed with a really blurry image. It looks noticeably better on Gamecube but that one has the fake widescreen with the forced borders so... swings and roundabouts.

Moioink on
    edited July 2009
    He could mean RE3. Is RE3 Wii out yet?

RE3 hasn't even remotely been announced for the Wii. Just REmake and RE0 (because those were both made natively for the cube).

Likely we wouldn't see RE2, 3 and Code Veronica on the Wii unless they remade them from scratch. RE2/3 are both playstation titles, and Code Veronica was a DC title originally; though I suppose the PS2 version may have enhanced the graphics a bit.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited July 2009
    Oh, really? I thought REmake, Zero, 2 and 3 were all coming. :(

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2009
    Oh, really? I thought REmake, Zero, 2 and 3 were all coming. :(

Nope, only REmake and Zero are announced at the moment, but one can always be hopeful. In the meantime, we have the Umbrella Chronicles and the upcoming Darkside Chronicles to fill in for the time being.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited July 2009
    I'm a die-hard RE fan but I had trouble milking any enjoyment whatsoever out of Umbrella Chronicles.

I like what it represents though. I'd really like Capcom to apply RE to different genres and see what sticks.
    Resident Evil RPG please.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Art Style Orbient and Pokemon Puzzle League are a couple of underrated Wii downloads.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like what it represents though. I'd really like Capcom to apply RE to different genres and see what sticks.

Don't give them any ideas. Do you really want to see a Resident Evil kart racing game? :D

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I took a quick look at my Wii collection, and I recommend the following:

Metal Slug Anthology
    Bomberman Land 1 or 2
    House of the Dead 2/3 or Overkill
    Mario Kart Wii
    Excitebots or Excitetruck
    Manhunt 2

There are other suggestions already mentioned:

Punchout
    No More Heros
    Animal Crossing (if you haven't played the others)
    Rayman Rabbid games (if you have company over a lot)
    Resident Evil 4 Wii
    Resident Evil : UC
    Ghost Squad

For downloads:

Beat.Trip Beat

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    edited July 2009

Don't give them any ideas. Do you really want to see a Residend Evil kart racing game? :D

Yes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    You mean RE4? :D

I'm typing in the dark. Mistakes happen, midgets die.

Big Classy on