As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Documentary

aredubaredub Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. I'm an independent film maker. I'm looking to do a documentary about 4 to 5 individuals who will be attending PAX this year. Shooting will begin August 1st and continue thru the final day of PAX. If you interested please email me at forgivenfilms@gmail.com

Things I'll need to know about you in the email....

What games you play?
Are you dressing up as a character?
Are you planning on attending for the whole weekend?
Do you live in or around the Seattle area?
Do you plan on joining in and playing in the LAN party?

Obviously there will be more to it once we start auditions. This process will move quickly. So please email us soon. Please provide a current face photo if you have one as well.

Thanks,

Rob
forgivenfilms@gmail.com

aredub on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    I'm sorry, but this is something you should clear with the PAX officials first. I believe Robert Khoo would of some assisstance in this matter.

Good luck with your documentary.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• aredubaredub Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thank you Moe for pointing me in the right direction. Just to let you know, if selected you will be required to sign a release form that assures that PAX is not responsible for anything!

Thanks and hope to hear from any one who is interested soon!

aredub on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If my word means anything to anyone, I would like to mention that Rob is a cool guy, and this project is a great idea. I am excited to see how it turns out and glad to be a part of it!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sent in some things about myself and it's relations to the convention to you. It would be awesome thing just to see even if the most I'm in it is just some random brief second cameo in a crowd.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm Canadian, but like Haikufrenzy, I would love to be in the film, even just for a little bit

Sir_Lag on
    edited July 2009
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for replying. Well here's the deal, once the film is finished there will be a showing at 911 Media in downtown Seattle. After that (if it gets good reviews or I think it's good enough) I may enter it into some film festivals. Hadn't planned on selling it at all or anything. Of course unless some big production company wants to buy it...well then I'm in haha. I'll keep everyone posted on the showing. If I get enough interest I could probably show it more than one night.

I believe I've responded to all that have showed interest but If I haven't gotten back to you please email me again. I'd hate to miss out on someone who wants to be in it.

Thanks,

Rob

aredub on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This does sound interesting, and this will be my first year at PAX so it could be a different viewpoint from people who have gone before.

Wormdundee on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This sounds awesome. I've sent you my details. Here's hoping this turns out great either way.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    aredub wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for replying. Well here's the deal, once the film is finished there will be a showing at 911 Media in downtown Seattle. After that (if it gets good reviews or I think it's good enough) I may enter it into some film festivals. Hadn't planned on selling it at all or anything. Of course unless some big production company wants to buy it...well then I'm in haha. I'll keep everyone posted on the showing. If I get enough interest I could probably show it more than one night.

I believe I've responded to all that have showed interest but If I haven't gotten back to you please email me again. I'd hate to miss out on someone who wants to be in it.

Thanks,

Rob

Something tells me on top of that you'd have an easy showing at PAX next year or PAX East.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hey. if this helps at all. i work at a theater, and we get employee discounts on renting out theaters. i know at lease one employee rented out on of our theaters to show his film.

just a thought :D

s7arbuck on
    edited July 2009
    Hey Guys,

Thanks,

Rob

Something tells me on top of that you'd have an easy showing at PAX next year or PAX East.

That would be sweet

Sir_Lag on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have zero interest in being in front of a camera and I wouldn't fit the demographic anyway, so don't take my name. I just wanted to say good luck to you. PAX is a very special place and it would be great to have a documentary of it. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't forget to find yourself a female gamer! We're a small percentage, but still. Female gamers need more love.

eye-shuh on
    edited July 2009
    Quick update for everyone! I apologize first and foremost if I haven't responded back to you about the film. I've gotten a ton of emails and I appreciate all of you who are interested! I wish I could film you all and hopefully I will in some way or another. I'm working through all my emails and will get back to you soon I promise.

Robert Khoo has just informed me that he was going to get me a media badge for the whole event. I'm very excited about this. Originally he said it was fine that I filmed as long as I had the people sign waiver forms that obviously doesn't hold PAX reliable; but he just went above and beyond to get me this badge. So if you ever see or talk to Robert, give him a big hug from me :) haha. Seriously, I am excited!

s7arbuck...what theater is that? I'd be interested in knowing more about that. If we can get a ton of people who want to see it I'd be willing to go that route.

eye-shu, I have a few female gamers interested and plan on having an equal share if I can.

Take care and hopefully see or talk to you all soon.

Rob

aredub on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hope I at least get some sort of token reply, lol, even if you pick other people. I did reply and I'm one of the not-that-small group of female gamers, that go to PAX. :)

MeeOk on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    aredub, not sure how familiar you are with PAX culture, but may I suggest you include some of the community events in your film? The pub crawl as example is an absolutely amazing sight to witness.

redhalo on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    And the CCST arrival is a sight (and smell) to behold.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    aredub, not sure how familiar you are with PAX culture, but may I suggest you include some of the community events in your film? The pub crawl as example is an absolutely amazing sight to witness.

Not to boast, but I'm one of the lucky ones being filmed...and I was already planning on hitting as many community events I can, so it's covered ;)

JonnyNero on
    edited July 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »

Not to boast, but I'm one of the lucky ones being filmed...and I was already planning on hitting as many community events I can, so it's covered ;)
    Have all the people been chosen yet? (I'm not trying to sound needy or trying to beg, I'm just curious)

Sir_Lag on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »

Awesome sauce, you defiantly have the credentials to make a good interviewee.

redhalo on
    edited July 2009
    No not everyone has been selected. I haven't had all the interviews or anything yet. Only have 4 selected so far. I changed my # of people to possibly 8. Everyone will be notified when the selections have been made! I'm hoping to have the interviews all done with in the next 3 weeks. Which obviously pushes my start time back. But I'm flexible on that so I'm not really worried. I really am hoping to get everyone who wants to be in film in for a little bit at least. We'll see though.

Later,

Rob

aredub on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Quick update for everyone! I apologize first and foremost if I haven't responded back to you about the film. I've gotten a ton of emails and I appreciate all of you who are interested! I wish I could film you all and hopefully I will in some way or another. I'm working through all my emails and will get back to you soon I promise.

Robert Khoo has just informed me that he was going to get me a media badge for the whole event. I'm very excited about this. Originally he said it was fine that I filmed as long as I had the people sign waiver forms that obviously doesn't hold PAX reliable; but he just went above and beyond to get me this badge. So if you ever see or talk to Robert, give him a big hug from me :) haha. Seriously, I am excited!

s7arbuck...what theater is that? I'd be interested in knowing more about that. If we can get a ton of people who want to see it I'd be willing to go that route.

eye-shu, I have a few female gamers interested and plan on having an equal share if I can.

Take care and hopefully see or talk to you all soon.

Rob

This years PAX game: Who can hug Khoo the most?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, first off, great job getting this off the ground. Being someone who will be attending PAX for the first time when the carnival comes to the East Coast Next March, I would love to get a preview via your documentary. With that said, if you need any assistance for an PAX-EC edition, let me know. I live in the Boston area and plan to be very involved in PAX-EC when it hits our area. Good luck with your project. I am looking forward to viewing the end product.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
    edited August 2009
    I was just wondering what was happening with this

Sir_Lag on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, are you still looking for people? I just saw this thread today.

The_Reflection on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    err yeah, i actually kinda forgot about this with finals and my new job and all. haven't heard anything in a while.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited August 2009
    Update for you all....sorry I haven't posted in a while, a death in the family had taken up a lot of my time. I'm back in Seattle now. Sorry but I am no longer looking for people. I didn't anticipate how many people would actually be interested in the project. It was difficult to find time to fit in everyone who wanted to be involved. Originally I thought I'd get maybe 10 people interested and I would just pick six. I was wrong LOL. I had well over 200 emails and I really appreciate all the interest and support. I have selected people to follow around but I still hope to get everyone on film...I'll be walking around filming pretty much the whole time so if you see me and want to do an interview and give me your thoughts on PAX please feel free to come up and say hi. I will be posting information on when the film will be released later on. There will be a viewing at 911 Media in Seattle, the date is still to be determined.

Again I just want to say thank you again to everyone who emailed me. If you were not selected this year to be filmed, maybe I can get you next year. I am planning on doing it again but this time I'll have more time to go through all the emails and be able to keep in better contact with you over the course of the year.

Any web designers out there who might be interested in creating a website for the film please let me know.

In the mean time take care,

Rob

aredub on
    edited August 2009
    How are we going to keep in contact so we can meet up at PAX. Cell Phones?

Sir_Lag on
    edited August 2009
    Email me and I'll send you my #, I'll need info from you as well....but lets discuss that over email.

Thanks,

Rob

aredub on
This discussion has been closed.