As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 07/01/09: Cry for Awesome

13»

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone been reading Fantastic Four? If so, is it true that
    The Marquis of Death is an alternate universe version of that dude from Millar's 1985?

Also, has anything been said about why he chooses apprentices when you can't teach omnipotence, and why he's destroying the universe?

Yes to the first two questions. As for the third, because evil always needs someone who's also evil, but slightly less, so they look even more evil by comparison. And he's destroying the universe just because...even though that's where he keeps all his stuff.

Hes omnipotent, he can give them degrees of nipotence. But he probably has a shitload of knowledge he can use to teach people like Doom high levels of magic.

DarkWarrior on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the answer is that Millar didn't think past "man my guy will be like Doom but times a billion".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever read 1985, but I am enjoying this "Doom's Master" arc. Is 1985 worth picking up next time I'm at the comic shop?

It was ok, but nothing mind blowing. The dialogue was kinda cheesy, and I think the premise couldn't withstand a 6 issue series, but it's got that Millar over-the-top sensibility.

I'd put it on par with his Enemy of the State run in Wolverine, but without the bonus of Romita art.

The art is better than the art in Enemy of the State, and I say that as someone who loves JRJR.

I also think it's the best work Millar's ever done, but it will resonate much more with someone who grew up on 80's Marvel, as it's basically his personal love letter to that era.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I'm picking up 1985 on Wednesday, it looks fun :).

And on another note - I saved all the Marvel Adventures books I picked up for this weekend. You guys were so right. I love these comics. I can't remember the last time I actually smiled or laughed out loud when I was reading a mainstream book. Marvel Adventures FTW. Especially Spider-Man and the issue of Marvel Adventures Avengers with Lover's Leap - Batroc the Leaper's Online Dating Site! Definitely looking for back issues of these books when I get a chance.

Hensler on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Irredeemable #4

Not really a serious spoiler but a scan below. Irredemable is pretty interesting although the idea has been batted around before. Basically good guy went bad and no one knows why or how to stop him. Other heros are trying to figure it out and the world is reacting. He's throwing chunks of earth at Singapore since a delegate from the UN lied. It's not in order btw.
    Irredeemable1.jpg
    IrredeemableChooseTen.jpg
    Irredeemable3.jpg

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Was 1985 any good?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Was 1985 any good?

I thought it was good but like Bale said you'd appreciate it better if you grew up on 1980's Marvel. The trade is coming out this month at 20 bucks retail so this would be a good time to pick it up. However I will give Marvel credit for making the single issues very nice with a even better than normal paper quality.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1985 is one of the best superhero comics I've read in the last few years, but I admittedly have a lot of nostalgia for that particular era.

I grew up on Secret Wars, Black Suit Spidey, Claremont's X-Men, etc.

The art is beautiful though and it's a fun story even without the nostalgiac qualities.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love Secret Warriors so much. Great to have Dugan and Fury together again.

Weaver on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Batman & Robin has made me enjoy Morrison again. After Final Crisis I totally lost it with him for a bit but my god that was another great comic. I also went back and picked up Detective 854 and between those two I think I've decided to read Batman comics.

Also with GL, Superman/Girl and Flash I find myself being more excited to read DC lately than Marvel which is weird because I really didn't like much that they had. I guess Dark Reign is just getting to me.

smokmnky on
    edited July 2009
    I'm still pretty stoked about Dark Reign, at least how it will play out. The Utopia story for instance seems like it will be epic without relying on a bajillion crossover books ala Civil War/Secret Invasion. Plus I'm looking forward to the 8 issue series on one-shots that will be the climax of the story running from September to December (I think, yeah it should with two issues a month).

In fact I like how both companies are dealing with their mega-events right now.

wirehead26 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm still pretty stoked about Dark Reign, at least how it will play out. The Utopia story for instance seems like it will be epic without relying on a bajillion crossover books ala Civil War/Secret Invasion. Plus I'm looking forward to the 8 issue series on one-shots that will be the climax of the story running from September to December (I think, yeah it should with two issues a month).

In fact I like how both companies are dealing with their mega-events right now.
    Really? Because DC's last Megaevent was Final Crisis, and Countdown counts as a part of that.

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2009
    I meant Dark Reign and Blackest Night.

wirehead26 on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, in comics, Africa is one giant desolate savanna and the only criminals are poachers and the only crime is poaching. (Catman/Cry for Justice/Mon-El's recent world tour/I swear I've seen that scene a bunch of times)

Decent start though, will give it a second issue.

Lux on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if there was ever a comic that showed Freedom Beast's reaction to the end of apartheid.

Robos A Go Go on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lux wrote: »
    So, in comics, Africa is one giant desolate savanna and the only criminals are poachers and the only crime is poaching. (Catman/Cry for Justice/Mon-El's recent world tour/I swear I've seen that scene a bunch of times)

This is actually a result of an act passed by the african federation, super heroes are only allowed to operate in the savannah dealing with poaching related crimes, all other forms of civil and criminal offenses are the prerogative of the police.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    1985 is one of the best superhero comics I've read in the last few years, but I admittedly have a lot of nostalgia for that particular era.

I grew up on Secret Wars, Black Suit Spidey, Claremont's X-Men, etc.

On the other hand, I have no nostalgia for that particular era and have read none of this and still really, really liked 1985. It was fun!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the answer is that Millar didn't think past "man my guy will be like Doom but times a billion".

Yeah, that's the general vibe I'm getting from all this. Though I'm guessing it will end with "Oh, it was just a crazy Doombot from an alternate post-apocalytic future! Hah-ha!", or something similar.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

This is actually a result of an act passed by the african federation, super heroes are only allowed to operate in the savannah dealing with poaching related crimes, all other forms of civil and criminal offenses are the prerogative of the police.

Well unless they need to deal with ancient Egypt and/or the pyramids, but most people barely realize that's part of Africa too.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

Well unless they need to deal with ancient Egypt and/or the pyramids, but most people barely realize that's part of Africa too.

Major landmarks are covered under a U.N treaty.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think you're missing the bigger point.

Anyway, I finally was able to point out my MotW. From Astonishing Tales #6. Contract loopholes FTW.
    Just to set things up, Sam and Roberto were yanked into the Mojoverse and forced to make eight movies for Mojo. They made six superhero-filled spoofs of popular movies. They are going to make their last two just in time to meet the deadline Mojo imposed when Roberto apparently freaks the fuck out upon learning from IMDb that there is a Magnum P.I. movie in the works (BTW, Magnum is the greatest TV character ever) and cancels their Bill Murray homages to make a pastiche of the Indiana Jones movies starring Magnum and with supers. They finish the job on the one movie, and Mojo thinks he's got them--and thus they would be stuck in the Mojoverse forever. This is what follows. Oh, and Mojo was playing the medieval knight from the end of Last Crusade.

4uuozm.jpg

Also, bonus MotW: Moustache Double for Magnum P.I.
    10xae4g.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey! What's his name-- the pink guy with antenna is there! I really need to read that stuff at some point. I love allred's art.

DouglasDanger on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's The Orphan/Mr. Sensitive.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think that I'm going to have to make that a catchphrase somehow. "Your house, sir."

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think that I'm going to have to make that a catchphrase somehow. "Your house, sir."

Something along the lines of "In your ASS!"

Oh, the whole story was written by Jonathan Hickman and further reinforces my opinion that he watches too many movies--maybe even more than me.

Crimsondude on