As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firefox went stupid.

temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
Right before I went to bed last night, I checked my mail, and everything was fine. I woke up this morning with no tabs, no bookmarks and no homepage. Furthermore, when I browse the net it erases all of the history instantly. If I go to one page, click a link and want to go back to the last page, I can't hit the back button because it has already sent that info into oblivion.

Anyone know what this is, and know how I can get my stuff back?

Edit: I also can't refresh a page, or add new tabs. I checked my options and it still said my homepage is Penny Arcade, but it never shows up when I open firefox.

XBL - Temperature_MD
PSN - CardboardNine
temperature! on

• Options
    SalviusSalvius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It sounds like your places.sqlite file is locked or damaged. Close firefox and make sure it closed completely by rebooting or looking through task manager manually. If that doesn't work places.sqlite is probably damaged. You can get firefox to rebuild it by closing firefox, going to the profile folder, deleting everything with places.sqlite in the name, and starting up firefox again. You'll lose your history, but not your bookmarks.

Salvius on
    current.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, assuming you're on Windows, if it was all right the last night - Firefox exited without incident before you turned off your computer - consider running chkdsk /r.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just reinstalled firefox, rebooted, and everything was fixed. It even had my browsing history from last night. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the waste of time!

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You could still try Opera out! It's no too late.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You could still try Opera out! It's not too late.

It's never too late.

Tamin on
  • Options
    RendonRendon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes join the 10's of people who use Opera.

Rendon on
    Cheese is great.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    All I saw about Opera was the mouse motions to minimize and close stuff. I'm not to keen on doing magic to browse websites.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What? You don't have to use mouse gestures you know. Hell, they're off by default.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    All I saw about Opera was the mouse motions to minimize and close stuff. I'm not to keen on doing magic to browse websites.

That's like refusing to use a car that you can unlock with a button on the keychain. Not only is the button optional if you're scared of progress, the button is far more convenient thant he old way and works perfectly well once you get over your fear of the unknown.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That's like refusing to use a car that you can unlock with a button on the keychain. Not only is the button optional if you're scared of progress, the button is far more convenient thant he old way and works perfectly well once you get over your fear of the unknown.

I'd say less like a keychain and more like "unlock your car with a loud noise!" Whilst fast and useful it can be... a problem at times.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    But it's a problem you can avoid entirely by simply not using that feature...

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bowen wrote: »

I'd say less like a keychain and more like "unlock your car with a loud noise!" Whilst fast and useful it can be... a problem at times.

I guess mouse gestures are a problem if your fingers spasm randomly and hold down mouse buttons when you don't mean to. If that's the case you can turn them off though so really I'm having trouble conceiving of a world in which the addition of mouse gestures to a browser without any drawbacks like crashing or lower performance are anything other than a good thing.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe I have tourettes, why do you hate my disabilities so much?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    But like I said before, the gestures can be disabled completely and, in fact, aren't even on by default. There really is no reason to even joke about this being some sort of reason not to use Opera. :P

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys. He's using Firefox. It's ok. Worry about the tens upon thousands of IE users out there. D:

Frem on
  • Options
    RendonRendon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The 10's of people who use Opera really like Opera.

By the way... gestures FTW! Glad I was able to find a plug in for firefox that has that.

Rendon on
    Cheese is great.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I just want to say I was joking about the mouse gestures. I was almost certain they were optional. Pretty much the reason I'm not looking to switch is because I'm comfortable with Firefox, and I haven't heard anything that made me want to switch to Opera.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just want to say I was joking about the mouse gestures. I was almost certain they were optional. Pretty much the reason I'm not looking to switch is because I'm comfortable with Firefox, and I haven't heard anything that made me want to switch to Opera.

The one selling point I would make is sessions.

Sessions function similarly to bookmarks, except on a (potentially) larger scale. You can have a one-tab session, but it's somewhat pointless.

I quickly grew tired of trying to remember each of the comics I'd like to check on a daily basis; my mental checklist includes things I haven't read in years simply because I used to try to keep them all in my head.
    So, I spent a half hour or so just finding and opening all the comics I've ever checked, then told Opera to save the session. Now, I can click a few buttons and have all the comics open up. Once the session has been saved, you can simply close out one you don't want and re-save the session, or add a new thing and then save it. It is somewhat clumsy, because it's not just saving the current page, it saves part of the browsing history (not sure how far back it goes).

Found something cool, but you have to rush off and don't want to lose anything? Save the current window as a session!

For me, sessions are extremely handy. I have one for my Japanese study guides: A dictionary, the wiki pages on hiragana, katakana, and a list of kanji by stroke count, and a few sites which have both Japanese and English versions.

As stated, I use one for my comics; a list of the sites such as metacritc, roger ebert, gamerankings, and one or two others; a waste of one for my local movie theatre; and a few others I haven't removed just yet.

The concept of sessions was introduced in Opera, because it was fairly crash-prone; they didn't want you to lose information. As soon as it crashed, you could restore the previous session. Firefox has now mimiced the ability. Since then, the stability has improved immensely (I can't remember the last time it crashed, as opposed to Firefox, which if I look at it cross-eyed goes down), and sessions have improved by leaps and bounds - you can now save just the active window, or everything that opera has open.

Doubt it'll convince you to switch, but, like I said, it's one of the biggest reasons I have to stick with it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    I quickly grew tired of trying to remember each of the comics I'd like to check on a daily basis; my mental checklist includes things I haven't read in years simply because I used to try to keep them all in my head.
    So, I spent a half hour or so just finding and opening all the comics I've ever checked, then told Opera to save the session. Now, I can click a few buttons and have all the comics open up. Once the session has been saved, you can simply close out one you don't want and re-save the session, or add a new thing and then save it. It is somewhat clumsy, because it's not just saving the current page, it saves part of the browsing history (not sure how far back it goes).

Eh, this is handled easily in Firefox by bookmarks. Make a webcomic folder, put bookmarks for all your webcomics in there, and at any time you can select "Open All in Tabs" from that bookmark folder. Done, and you're not stuck with part of the browsing history. :P

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Voro wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

Eh, this is handled easily in Firefox by bookmarks. Make a webcomic folder, put bookmarks for all your webcomics in there, and at any time you can select "Open All in Tabs" from that bookmark folder. Done, and you're not stuck with part of the browsing history. :P

Yeah, I've been doing exactly that on Firefox for years. I use that every single day.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Or use Google Reader, which is what I do (with Page2RSS if the site has no feed). Also, Firefox has had the ability to restore tabs when it's re-opened since 3.0, and now with 3.5, it remembers closed tabs and windows from previous sessions as well as the current one.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Guys. He's using Firefox. It's ok. Worry about the tens upon thousands of IE users out there. D:

IE8 is awesome, comparable to if not better than most other browsers. What it lacks in speed it more than makes up for in security/privacy.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opera lacks a couple of things I just find essential - otherwise all of the addons I use with Firefox come default in Opera (except Firebug).

- Lacks correct use of smooth scrolling (Macbook trackpad)
    - Multitouch gestures (yeah, they're important).

Otherwise I'm using addons in Firefox for specific keybindings and tabs opening relative. Oh, and one to display the status of a page that's loading and a PDF plugin.

dodos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »

IE8 is awesome, comparable to if not better than most other browsers. What it lacks in speed it more than makes up for in security/privacy.

Internet Explorer 8 isn't officially released yet, and I'm not going to tell people to install a Windows 7 RC that will start randomly rebooting early next year. Pretty much everyone using IE8 right now is savvy enough not to be an issue in this matter.

Even after it's released, I'm not going to recommend a browser that looks about twice as slow as Firefox to my untrained eye. Additionally, no browser (aside from possibly something like Lynx) is invulnerable, and Microsoft's security practices don't exactly leave me convinced that IE8 is the most secure thing around, despite their claims and (rather obnoxious) marketing.

Why give up speed or security when you could have both from every other browser around?

Frem on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    IE8 was released four months ago.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ah; I was there earlier but didn't see a download link. Apparently that was because I was using the Windows 7 beta. I stand corrected on this. My other points still stand.

Frem on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Your original point was to "worry about" the IE users. It isn't something to worry about.

I guess you can worry about the IE6 users with Windows updates turned off if you really want to malign something.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    In a choice between worrying about Firefox users and Internet Explorer users, I'll take the IE users any time. At least most FF users are using the current version. As it currently stands, there are more people using IE6 than IE8.

There's also that whole thing with web standards...

Frem on